A Guide To Childcare Volunteering Abroad
When volunteering abroad with children you can expect to be welcomed with open arms, literally. Children are fascinated by foreigners in almost every country, so most children will be eager to learn about your culture and language and spend time getting to know you. Through this playful exchange of cultural customs, you will get to know the children and the local culture on a much deeper level. Childcare volunteering abroad can be some of the most fulfilling volunteer work available, since volunteers will see the noticeable difference they are making in the lives of children daily and leave knowing they have made an impact.
*Important: Here’s a list of 23 questions to ask before volunteering with children abroad.
Children are some of the most pure and wholesome specimens on this planet. By helping children in need through volunteering abroad, you will have the satisfaction of knowing you are improving the lives of those who have done nothing to deserve the challenges they face. Those who volunteer with children help to restore justice for children in parts of the world where they are unfortunately neglected and not given a fair chance to succeed. A helping hand is sometimes all that is needed to instill positivity into a community that will carry on well after you have gone too. Through childcare volunteering abroad you will be implanting hope in the very future of generations in a community, and forming bonds with many community members along the way.
Costa Rica is a very popular and pleasant country for volunteering abroad with children. Most child care volunteering in Costa Rica is based in and around the capital city of San Jose, which has everything a modern city usually has to offer, plus volcanic mountains on the horizon and a unique culture. The locals, or Ticos, live by the mentality of pura vida, and nothing is more pure than caring for children. Although Costa Rica is engulfed by natural beauty and positivity, it is still in need of volunteers in some of the less privileged areas. There is a large population of young people in Costa Rica creating various opportunities to volunteer with children. Even a smile or a hug can go a long way when it comes to volunteering abroad with children; volunteers have the ability to instill hope and help build futures for Costa Rica’s children through volunteering their time.
Ghana is another country that is very popular for childcare volunteering abroad. While the country of Ghana has slowly been moving toward a better economy, there are still many children that have been neglected and abandoned, who now reside in orphanages. These children are in great need of strong role models who can recognize their talents and motivate them to achieve their dreams. While volunteering with children in Ghana you will have the chance to make a strong impact on the lives of children and build relationships with fellow volunteers from all over the world.
India has the largest child population in the world, and over half of that population is malnourished and uneducated. With these numbers steadily growing, there has never been a better time to volunteer with children in India. Due to the high demand for volunteers across program types, India has become one of the most affordable places to volunteer abroad. By putting your time and effort into educating and encouraging India’s children, you will be greatly helping the nation as a whole build a better future.
Your presence in these children’s lives is sometimes all that is needed to make a beneficial impact on their lives. Just by showing up, you have already committed to ninety percent of the work. Many of the children you will encounter as a childcare volunteer abroad will have been neglected, abandoned, and abused, so your attention to them is a gift that will go a long way. By being a much needed role model and mentor, you will have the ability to shape the direction of the children’s lives too.
Orphanages & Day Cares. When volunteering in orphanages or day cares you have the chance to play a key role for the children as you provide them with basic needs . Your day to day activities will be surrounded with joy as you watch children learn and grow before your eyes. When volunteering abroad with children in orphanages and daycares you may assist in serving meals, which is a simple start to a happy and healthy life for children.
Education. By helping to educate underprivileged children, you will be providing them with essential tools that can help them build a promising future. Take this opportunity to educate the children by assisting with teaching or even leading a lesson in math or reading.
Extracurriculars. During your child care volunteer program, you will be given a lot of freedom to share your interests and skills with the children. You can teach children a dance, sport, song or lead them through an arts and crafts lesson. Whatever it is that you are passionate about, you are sure to have the opportunity to share that interest while volunteering abroad with children.
Most child care volunteer programs last anywhere from two to eight weeks, but it is typically an option to stay longer if you wish. Prior experience is typically not required for volunteering abroad with children.
- Build a Better Tomorrow: The benefits of childcare volunteering abroad can reach far beyond those you are directly helping. Helping feed and inspire the children of a community instills a sense of hope for the community as a whole.
- Learn to Love What You Are Doing: Volunteering with children will not seem like work when you are having fun, and children are experts in that department. When you are smiling, laughing, and having an all-around good time with the kids, you will gain a newfound appreciation for the work when you see the joy you can bring to children’s lives.
- You Deserve The Kindness You Give To Others: Not only will you feel great satisfaction and fulfillment in your volunteer work with children, but you will be developing skills that will spread to different aspects of your life. Kindness is contagious, and by carrying a charitable and positive attitude around with you, those qualities are sure to make their way back into your life in the most fruitful ways for your future.
World's #1 Childcare Volunteer Programs - Trusted By 90,000+
Join the world leaders in affordable & safe volunteering! With the largest range of impactful volunteer programs & superior support services...
Become a Love Volunteer with program fees from $175.
You will be assisting in a carefully selected childcare centre that ensures children are well looked after and safe.
Find Childcare & Children Volunteer Programs Abroad Now
GoEco - Top Volunteer Organization
- Projects AbroadGo on a volunteer adventure abroad to help communities in while exploring a new country and its cultures.Volunteering SolutionsAffordable and Meaningful Volunteer & Intern programs in 20 countries starting $200International Volunteer HQChoose from 45+ destinations and the world's largest range of volunteer project options. Trusted by 80,000+ volunteers!GeoVisionsVolunteer Abroad and make a lasting difference.Kaya Responsible TravelChoose a meaningful adventure from over 20 countries around the globe.
- GoEco - Volunteer AbroadVolunteers needed for wildlife, medical, and community projects in Africa, Asia and Latin America. Apply Now!Volunteer for the VisayansBe responsible and make a difference. Volunteer on sustainable grassroots projects with a registered Philippine NGO.Adelante AbroadDon’t pay so much to volunteer – customized programs in Spain and S. America. Choose your location & your assignment, cr...Love VolunteersProgram fees from $175. Safe, flexible and rewarding volunteer projects abroad.Intern and Volunteer Abroad with CrossContinentalAffordable and flexible volunteer, internship, and culture/language immersion programs. Program fees start from only $99...
- Volunteer abroad with Connect-123We connect students with career-related internships in Argentina, China, Ireland, Australia, Spain and South Africa.Top Rated Volunteer Abroad Programs in Latin AmericaJoin our Volunteer projects in Costa Rica, Guatemala and Peru and help us make a difference in our local communities.GVIVolunteer and make a difference while you improve your employability and receive our 360° support!African ImpactMake Your Impact With Africa’s Best Volunteer ProjectsFrontierWith 30 years’ experience and more than 400 projects, Frontier is the world’s most trusted volunteer organisation.