Exchange and Experience Italian lifestyles with Joinki
Joinki the Culture Connector Header Image Joinki the Culture Connector Header Image

Exchange and Experience Italian lifestyles with Joinki

Italy with Joinki

If you want to have the experience of a lifetime you should come to joinki. Six weeks ago I decided to become a member of the project, practice my skills, share my knowledge with them and get known to Italian culture. Culture, which was always in my mind and wanted not just to visit this country but live and experience the feeling of being Italian.
And Joinki gave me this opportunity. I lived in a nice family and taught English to the family members. Teaching was really challenging for me as I didn’t know Italian and had to explain everything in English. But it was quite productive . Now I am more confident, I know what may be my weak points while working with foreign students and how to cope with them.
My host family was very caring and cheerful. Their friends, relatives, neighbors they are all so sociable it’s impossible not to feel like the part of community.
Volunteers have a great support from Joinki staff. From the very beginning they explained us everything in details, even how to use gestures while speaking with Italians :) :) They planned trips and gave opportunities to the volunteers to get together , change teaching experience and have fun.
Volunteering in this amazing project was more than I expected it would be . I could use holidays and explore amazing touristic destinations , as well as discover gorgeous part of northern Italy.
Bunch of thanks to Joinki for these unforgettable days <3

• Joinki the Culture Connector responded to this review September 15, 2017 at 3:12 AM

Thanks Nino, it was much than a pleasure to have you!

A way to find yourself

The Joinki programm is amazing. Beginning from the chefs of the organization which are lovely, caring and professional. They are always there for you if you need them and help you with everything. They also make an amazing job to find the perfect fitting family where both sides do get everything they want and need. Also the area here is great! A lot of nature, mountains, forest and a beautiful panorama wherever you are. But the next big city is barley ever further away than 30min by car, which is awesome too. I would highly recommend going abroad with Joinki, because these people are amazing! I learned so much about myself on this trip - what is my passion in life, what makes me happy, how can I improve my situation. Giving something back to people makes you really happy! You get to know Europa from a completely different point of you, you learn about a different culture! I loved it.

Thanks Kerstin, you are a love to have! See you in Munich again !

Unforgettable experience in Italy

It's an unforgettable and valuable experience for me to have the chance to teach students in the primary school, middle school, high school and do culture exchange as well.

I lived with the host family near trento.They are really nice and kind to introduce me to their friends. And the three children are really cute and willing to talk to me to practice English and learn a little bit Chinese. I experienced the original Italian family lifestyle and also show them Chinese culture by Family presentation every week.

It is also a good chance to experience the differences among various education systems by teaching students in different levels and grades.

During the holidays or weekends, me and other tutors got the chance to explore Italy. Joinki group will take tutors to visit many beautiful places every two weeks and we can also travel by ourselves if we have free time.

Do not worry about the language problem, for the first few days, the member of Joinki will help you figure out problems like the transportation, library card and something you need to notice about the culture differences. The program also provides the language courses to help you learn some basic Italian.

And it's my honor to meet with the mayor at the end of my program. He's really nice and welcome more tutors all over the world can come to Italy to do culture exchange and help students there improve English or German.

An adventure abroad

Over the summer I spent two months in Italy, learning, loving, and living in a whole new world. I made new friends, traveled to new cities, and taught English. I could not have asked for a more rewarding experience. Yes, there were challenges, and yes, you’ll probably spend a lot of money on your weekend excursions, but I wouldn’t have changed a thing. I cannot thank Joinki enough for giving me this opportunity to travel and learn.

I lived in Valle San Felice, Italy, a small village south of Trento, with my amazing host family. The scenery was unimaginably beautiful, but the view did come with a cost. My host house was literally up the hillside away from almost everything and where the bus would only come three times a day. However, even though my specific location was pretty isolated, my host family was incredible. Sabrina and Sara really take their time to match their applicants up with welcoming and loving families. My host family was amazingly sweet, sometimes loud, but always fun.

Teaching English was both challenging and very rewarding. My host family kids were great fun, but it definitely took some time to build up that trust for them to open up to me. At the middle school, I got to share my culture and knowledge, and help prepare students for their KET English Exams, which I recently heard they all did very well on. Near the end of my program I also worked at a local summer camp. Very fun, but also very sweaty.

I discovered Joinki through Aiesec and quickly found out how lucky I was to have done my project with Joinki. If you have any specific questions or burning inquiries, feel free to email me at dengophelia@gmail.com :)

I met lots of new people from all walks of life and made a lifetime of friends that I cannot wait to see again in future travels. Also, pistacchio gelato is the best. Grazie Mille Sabrina e Sara. Ci vediamo!

My Joinki Experience!

During my time I experienced countless unforgettable adventures and challenges. The most memorable include my Italian lessons with Roberto (Bob) and Sabrina, volunteering at the local children’s school, and traveling the Trentino region and beyond.

During my time with Joinki, I was provided with hour and a half long Italian lessons twice a week. I did written exercises, verbal exercises, and reading comprehension. These lessons greatly expanded my knowledge of the Italian language and allowed me to better communicate with and understand Italians.

For two weeks, I volunteered at a children’s school close to my host family’s home. I found it both difficult, and incredibly wonderful communicating with the young kids. The majority of them knew only a small amount of English, forcing both myself and them to learn new words in eachother’s languages. By far I heard “maestra”, meaning female teacher, the most. It was repeated so frequently throughout the day that I would hear the children saying it at night in my head while trying to fall asleep!

As a member of Joinki, I was given a free pass on the trains and buses of the Trentino region. I traveled throughout the region as well as many other parts of Italy and Germany. Some of these places include Trento, Bolzano, Padova, Florence, Bologna, Venice, and Munich. I met a variety of people, tried new foods, and soaked in the beautiful cities.

I will never forget my experiences with Joinki!

• Joinki the Culture Connector responded to this review April 11, 2017 at 8:17 AM

Thanks Sarah for taking part in Joinki. See you again in Italy!

• Support Services

A rich and unforgettable experience!

My tutoring experience with the Joinki program has been so enriching, both for my teaching professional experience and also for my personal growth! Giving English lesson to my host family members and volunteering at the local school was sometimes challenging but has given me so much satisfaction and self confidence. As a member of Joinki, I was given free Italian classes and a "magic card" for free transportation and free entry to the most important attractions in the Trentino region, which is really an amazing place! So, I will never forget my experiences with Joinki... GRAZIE :-)

Joinki-experiences

The program offers a lot of different things, I worked in different schools, I travelled through the whole region (without any payment) and met a lot of new interesting people. Furthermore the landscape is magnificent, I was surrounded by mountains, I visited places like Lago di Tovel, Lago di Garda, Venice, the new science Museum in Trento or went Snowboarding.
I improved my italian and got to know the Italian culture.
All in all I would recommend this program to everyone who likes to work with languages, is interested in getting to know a new culture and likes to travel.

• Joinki the Culture Connector responded to this review April 11, 2017 at 8:18 AM

Good job Leon. Thanks for being a great tutor!

Happy and satisfying experience

It provides an opportunity for me to have an experience teaching in Liceo in Cles, Trentino, Itlay. Liceo is an excellent and reputable local high school. The headmaster is so nice and kind, appreciating different culture. I cooperated with and was supported by some English teachers. In the beginning, everything is not easy for me, cause my major is not in education. From preparation of every week’s topics (deciding different themes, searching appropriating pictures, making powerpoints), to control of atmosphere and rhythm of every class, I need to pay lots of efforts on it. It gives me a lot of challenges and teaches me how to be a good teacher.
The Italian family is so nice, friendly and thoughtful. They had given me many supports and always shown respect to me. It’s really thankful to have such a good family. I really like the atmosphere there, I feel like at home, they treat me exactly like a family member. They will plan to take me somewhere to visit during the holiday and take me to grandparents' home to enjoy the lunch and have a nice family day. I’m sure that you will get fully respect in the family as a family tutor. In addition, you may achieve big satisfaction about teaching. I make a study plan for them and organized some courses every day. Some time we share a video, some times we do some oral practicing. And most importantly, when you see their improvements, you will feel so happy about that.
Sabrina and Sara are so nice and thoughtful! They will help you a lot during this project. So you don't need to worry too much, just to enjoy the project and meet the challenges!

• Joinki the Culture Connector responded to this review April 11, 2017 at 8:19 AM

See you again Julie! Thanks