Rural Primary School Teaching in Uganda
The Real Uganda Header Image The Real Uganda Header Image

Rural Primary School Teaching in Uganda

I enjoyed my time in Uganda

At the boarding school, I helped in the daily affairs: kitchen, washing dishes and clothes, helping the kids with their homework at night. We would also fetch water for showers, as well as for cooking. Sometimes I would go to the nearby town to bring some treats for the kids living there. I spent a lot of time playing and getting to know the kids. I taught English and helped the teachers provide homework for the children. I spent a number of days helping the local community filling out government forms for their children to get an ID, since many parents don’t speak English.

Meaningful, long-lasting memories with this great program

I volunteered through The Real Uganda in 2009. Sometimes, I can't believe it's been that long. The memories have stuck with me in large part because the program was/is so well run. In a way, this efficiency optimized my volunteer experience and made it even more wonderful. I have volunteered abroad through other programs and this one is at the top of my list. Leslie, who runs the program, is wonderful! I highly recommend The Real Uganda!

Positive, memorable experience teaching with The Real Uganda!!

The Real Uganda is a wonderful organization! Very well organized and set-up to create a positive experience! The founder is knowledgeable, helpful, and available to assist volunteers. She is thoughtful about how to provide support in a meaningful and sustainable way.

The organization, The Real Uganda partners with are also doing high-quality work. I taught in a rural school and had a positive and memorable experience! The kids and staff were wonderful! The level of support I received was tailored to meet my needs. I stayed with a host family and felt fully immersed in Ugandan culture. The Real Uganda founder also helped facilitate interactions with fellow volunteers working with different host organizations which was helpful to meet other people in a similar situation.

Overall, I would absolutely, without a doubt, recommend this organization!! And will volunteer again myself if I make it back to Uganda :).

Village Teaching and Community Outreach

Through The Real Uganda, I worked with an organization called Hope Line. It had been a dream to volunteer in Africa for many years, and The Real Uganda not only made this possible, but also ensured that I had the most amazing experience. The support they provided throughout my experience was invaluable, and provided the groundwork for my volunteer experience to have the greatest positive impact on both the people I worked with, and myself.

Returned Volunteer with The Real Uganda

My two volunteer teaching experiences with The Real Uganda, Fall 2007 and Summer 2010, had a pivotal role in my career path which has led me to pursue my Master of Arts in Sustainable Development from the School for International Training Graduate Institute. Director Leslie Weighill does an amazing job of placing volunteers in quality local NGOs and school placements, while providing support for volunteers while they are in country. My four months within Uganda opened my eyes to a different worldview outside of the U.S. context. I cannot imagine a better volunteer opportunity, particularly to gain an initial insight into Ugandan culture.

Just what was needed

I couldn't have more fabulous things to say about Uganda or The Real Uganda. Organizational support was just what was needed, while I got to have the experience I was looking for--at least, to the extent that I knew what I was looking for.

Uganda's a hard country to not fall in love with, and I've been coming back ever since I volunteered years ago.

The best experience of my entire life. Hands down!

About a year ago, I had a strong desire to go to Uganda. The only problem? I didn't know where to start. Thus, I did quite a bit of research. In my search for a quality organization to volunteer with, I found "The Real Uganda." The Real Uganda proved to be just that- and so much more. From Day 1, TRU (The Real Uganda) supported me in every way that I needed. As soon as I arrived in Uganda, everything that TRU had arranged for me went precisely as planned. I felt safe the entire time, and EXTREMELY welcome! The staff was much awaiting my arrival, and I soon became fast friends with them. In addition, they were superb at forming a community with all of the volunteers. TRU gave us great information on the best Safaris, Nile Rafting guides, and all other enter forms of entertainment. On the weekends, us volunteers would gather together from our separate volunteer location sites to take advantage of these African adventures. Since then, I STILL keep in contact with some of the staff and volunteers. In fact, just 5 days ago I traveled to see a volunteer that I got to know in Uganda! In addition, two Ugandan staff members came and stayed with my family and I when they traveled to the US for the first time, and my family and theirs are now good family friends. In fact, my dad and I are traveling back to Uganda in for 4 weeks to see them, and volunteer! I AM SO EXCITED!!!!!!!! I have missed it SO deeply since I left. I was located in a remote village outside of Mukono, where I taught/lived in an Orphanage and School. Never have I EVER been so humbled. Hilariously enough, I went to serve. However, what I didn't realize is that I would be the one who would be completely changed! Many organizations don't always properly distribute volunteer funds to the people who need it. However, with TRU this is NOT the case. TRU places volunteers at sites that TRULY need attention and funds. While I was there, the orphanage I worked at was able to have uniforms made for some students due to my volunteer funds. Unlike many western schools, it is pretty vital that students have uniforms at schools. Can you imagine learning in a raggedy t-shirt without pants on? No. Thus, I was so thankful that TRU knew exactly how volunteer funds need to be given.

The Real Uganda TRULY gave me the best experience of my life thus far. I could NOT have chosen a more perfect organization to go to Uganda with, and I will definitely be keeping the friendships and memories that I made with me for the rest of my life.

fantastic volunteer experience on all levels

I am belgian and found the organisation online, I had little English knowledge when I arrived in Uganda, I had booked to volunteer in a remote setting for 6 months and this was in 2006. I was picked up by the director at the airport and her vibes, love for uganda an the projects and the way she talked about it just made me sooo excited. Then I was picked up by the program director of the project i was going to be living in Lugazi with Valence and Doreen, and what an experience, I helped building a school fro mthe first stone, we did the first registrations for the kids, made the uniforms, and you should see it now. they are building extra classes, the have bording school, primary and even secondary classes now, the kids get great grades and this is a fantastic school with amazing teachers. THE REAL UGANDA gives you this real experience, your money is spend on the project and it helps building lives, education and so much more. I reccommend it to everyone! I keep going back to uganda and I keep visiting my ugandan family. I love them very much and they are forever in my heart.

Teaching and Outreach

The Real Uganda (TRU) is a small ugandan NGO with a very passionful impulse to change people's lives sustainable. Based in the small town of Mukono in Central Uganda Lesley & her partners support local projects with strong efforts, respect & humbleness. For me personal this is a perfect example for a meaningful and profound development cooperation. I hope and I am convinced that this will be the case today, tomorrow and in future. Those guys are diamonds in the sky for every single child, woman & man in this part of the world. Go on doing this!