World's #1 Affordable Volunteer Programs. Trusted By 80,000+

World's #1 Affordable Volunteer Programs. Trusted By 80,000+

The world coming together

My first trip with IVHQ was an amazing experience. As a pre med student, I was interested in seeing what the medical profession was like in a different country, specifically my family’s home country. The doctors and nurses were very friendly and happy to answer my questions. I learned so much from the different departments of the hospital and was able to determine which were my strengths and weaknesses. I also worked alongside with the other volunteers, who have become to be my friends. They were one of the main highlights of my IVHQ trip. Even though I was able to communicate to the doctors and patients in Vietnamese, I learned that laughter has no language barrier. Overall, I am thankful for this amazing opportunity to be able to learn and continue my study in medicine. I look forward to continue my trips with IVHQ!

Amazing Experience!

This was the best experience of my life! I have always wanted to travel and volunteer abroad and IVHQ made this so fun and easy.

During the week we were able to volunteer and take in the experiences we wanted while leaving plenty of time to explore the country for the weekend.

Highly highly recommend this organization if you want a new way to travel and give back.

Conservation work in Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe

This program was everything + MORE of what I was hoping it would be. I have never travelled solo due to anxiety and although I had a panic attack on my way TO the airport heading there- I haven't come close to having one since :) I felt so welcome and strangely at home during my stay at Nakavango, Victoria Falls. Hands down the best thing I ever pushed myself to do. Well worth every dollar and moment of life spent :)

Cartagena, Colombia

Volunteering in Colombia for two weeks was the best experience in the world. I had an incredible time and met so many incredible people along the way. I loved getting to spend time working with and getting to know like-minded people. The projects I worked in involved children who were sweet as can be and made it extremely hard to leave. The only bad part of my trip was when I had to say goodbye.

A great experience

I did a short one week stint in the Cordoba community programme working with the elderly. It wasn’t long enough, but better than nothing because even in that short time I saw the faces of the elderly light up when we arrived each day and knew from the kisses and cuddles that I did make a difference.
The programme was well run with a great initiation, excellent accommodation, superb meals, super people to deal with and all in all a great experience.
Like any similar type programme you only get out what you are prepared to put in, but it is not difficult to get to know lovely people and be able to make a difference. The volunteer home is superbly run by Señor Jose. It’s homely, warm and comfortable but not necessarily with the luxuries of home. Volunteers are expected to pitch in and help and in return get looked after like royal guests with amazing food, lots of laughs and a taste of life in a small Argentine village.
One week was enough to get a taste of a great programme, meet lovely people and learn some Spanish. I wish I could have stayed longer.

Lima trip

This trip was amazing and I definitely want to go back to do another. The program was well managed and I felt safe the whole time. It helped me work on and improve my Spanish and help other people. I had a great time bonding with the children and making a difference in the lives of others.

• Support Services

• Compensation & Benefits

• Host School or Placement

Fun & love in Antigua, Guatemala

I was super nervous before going on my solo adventure to Antigua, Guatemala. However, as soon as I arrived I felt anxiously excited and yet still very peaceful. Everyone involved in the program was nice and welcoming. They set me up in a great home with great people and I really enjoyed my project. I learned so much about myself and really grew as an independent person. I can't wait to go on another trip with IVHQ!

An unforgettable trip with IVHQ

From May 14th to 21st, I volunteered for IVHQ on the island of Chios, Greece. For me, it was a memorable and purposeful volunteer trip

To start with, the program from IVHQ was flexible! The organizers let me contribute in a way that was unprecedented: I had a chance to create a public art for a kindergarten. Creating a public artwork was not listed as an option when I signed up. And for this reason, I can't thank them enough for letting me do what is my passion!

Oher than that, the location was chosen by IVHQ was simply magnificent. Chios is a beautiful Medditerian island, and I am glad that I had an entire week to go around and explore this Greek paradise.

Finally, I can ensure you that both the team at IVHQ and the local guides are here to make sure that everything is on track for you. The sign-up step is easy, the program was executed seamlessly, and the warm hospitality I received has left me in awe!

• International Volunteer HQ [IVHQ] responded to this review June 13, 2018 at 1:59 AM

Hi Kien - thanks so much for your review. We really enjoyed having you as a volunteer on our program in Greece and we are glad we could provide you a memorable trip with purpose! Your artwork at your placement was well received and was a great contribution. Thanks again, and we look forward to having you back to volunteer with us soon.^Jamie-lee - IVHQ Greece Program Manager

Amazing experience volunteering in Kenya

I spent one week with IVHQ in Kenya and this was my first time doing a volunteer trip in Africa.
This experience was fantastic!! I loved everything about Kenya: the people, the food, the culture, the animals.

The school I worked for was filled with amazing kids who were able to teach me so much. On my first day at the school I was overwhelmed with the ammount of love and affection that I received. Working with those kids was a heart warming and spirited experience that changed my life!

The accomodation was simple and modest, but it had all the necessities needed for every day´s life. It was great to stay with locals and spend time with them. They provided us with great meals and support when we needed it.

The organization offered many opportunities to explore the country, to grow and learn. They were available 24/7 for any issues or help any of us might have needed.

The trip was well beyond my expectations. It changed me as a person in a unique way and it was by far the best experiece I have ever done! I am already planning my next trip with IVHQ :)

Best adventure yet!

I spent 2 weeks at Nakavango (via IVHQ) and It’s never been so difficult to leave a place. I travel all the time but this was my first solo trip, first time to Africa, and first time doing a volunteer trip like this. I am naturally very reserved and to myself therefore I was nervous going in but was relieved by how easy it was to connect with everyone. The experience was fantastically overwhelming and life changing. The staff, the locals, the animals, the culture, the food, the landscape, the accommodation...all will “wow” you. I walked away with so much more knowledge and insight than I was expecting. This experience has created a new, addictive source of adventure. I loved the opportunity to go beyond the normal sightseeing travel and add the aspect of giving back and expand my cultural awareness along the way. I would recommend this program to anyone and everyone. Don’t overthink, worry, or procrastinate like I did...JUST GO!

• International Volunteer HQ [IVHQ] responded to this review June 13, 2018 at 1:56 AM

Hi Blake, thanks for sharing your feedback with us - I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed your time on the program! We wish you all the best and hope to have you join us again soon! ^Claire - IVHQ Victoria Falls Program Manager

Costa Rica

Costa Rica's amazing! The nature, the people and the wildlife. The best part by far was my amazing host family!! Teaching English was challenging but fun! I've learned a lot! I loved my host family and felt very close to the community. Definitely keep an open mind.

• International Volunteer HQ [IVHQ] responded to this review June 08, 2018 at 3:56 PM

Hi Jessi - it's great to hear about your connection with the host family and all you gained from volunteering abroad. Thank you for choosing IVHQ and we hope to have you join us again soon! ^Rachel - IVHQ Costa Rica Program Manager

IVHQ Manuel Antonio English teaching

I did my program in Manuel Antonio with the English teaching Program which was tough and challenging but I can say I am a better person because of it. Worth every penny, also, you gotta do the host family. LIKE SERIOUSLY HAVE TO! No regrets.

• International Volunteer HQ [IVHQ] responded to this review June 08, 2018 at 3:55 PM

Hi Nathaniel - it sounds like you embraced the project and had an amazing time! Thank you for volunteering with IVHQ and we hope to have you join us again in the future. ^Rachel - IVHQ Costa Rica Program Manager

Medical placement!

I participated in the medical placement with Volunteer IVHQ in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. This was my first time volunteering overseas as well as my first time traveling solo outside my home country. I was blown away by how wonderful my experience was volunteering with Volunteer IVHQ! You are prepped with information on your placement well in advance of your start date. This really helped me prepare for my trip and help alleviate some of my anxiety traveling alone. The information provided is completely up-to-date and in line with my experience in HCMC.

The program started with a “Culture Week” the first Monday you arrive in HCMC. Before that, there is not much to do on the weekend. I made the mistake of arriving early (Saturday), which I did not find useful as most volunteers travel during the weekends/aren't really around to welcome you yet. By Monday though, you are drowning in fellow volunteers whom eventually become your greatest friends! :) Culture week did an amazing job of helping me adjust to Vietnam in general as well as make buddies with others to plan weekend travel and weekday funsies. :) You have a chance to see most top tourist attractions during this first week, too, which helped cross off some things on my to-do list!

I participated in the medical placement as part of my medical training (as an international rotation/elective). I was a fourth-year medical student during my time in Vietnam, so I have been in a variety of hospitals and clinical settings as well as experienced in medical procedures. I knew before signing up for the program that my work would be primarily shadowing. I found that my experience exceeded my expectations. I had the opportunity to see SO MANY departments in the hospital as well as help with a ton of interesting procedures. The fields I had a chance to experience included orthopedics, trauma, mental health, daycare/special needs, physical therapy, electrotherapy, acupuncture, surgery, and probably more! This is a great program for those thinking about entering the medical field or already in it. I found the entire experience very humbling and eye-opening as the healthcare resources are much different than in the US.

Overall, Volunteer IVHQ did an excellent job of coordinating my volunteer trip in HCMC, Vietnam. I highly recommend their program! :D

P.S. Meals are AMAZING. More than enough vegetarian options if that's your jam!!!

• International Volunteer HQ [IVHQ] responded to this review June 08, 2018 at 4:03 PM

Hi Megan, thanks for taking the time to provide a very detailed and informative review about IVHQ Vietnam - Ho Chi Minh. I am stoked to hear that the medical project exceeded all of your expectations, you were able to make lots of friends and that you enjoyed your vegetarian meals. I hope you can volunteer with IVHQ again in the future because we'd love to have you back. ^Sean - IVHQ Vietnam Program Manager

Volunteering for 2 weeks in Cape Town

I volunteered in Cape Town doing the childcare program for 2 weeks and it was amazing. I wish I could’ve stayed longer, but unfortunately I couldn’t take any more time off school. Arriving at the daycare every morning and seeing how happy the kids were to see me was such an amazing feeling!! They were the cutest and always had something they wanted to tell me. They were the best part of the day and I miss them so much.
I’m really glad I chose IVHQ to travel with. They had so many projects and so many destinations to choose from at such affordable prices compared to other volunteer companies. The staff at my placement were also so nice and welcoming. I met some really cool people as well. I would love to volunteer with IVHQ again in the future, and will definitely stay longer because 2 weeks wasn’t enough!

• International Volunteer HQ [IVHQ] responded to this review June 08, 2018 at 4:18 PM

Thanks for taking the time to complete the review Michelle! We would have loved to have you for longer but I am sure that you got as much out of the 2 weeks as you could, and the time you put in was appreciated by the local team, local staff, and the children. ^Claire - IVHQ South Africa Program Manager

A great volunteer and diving experience in Belize

My son and I were on Tom Owens Caye with Reef CI last week. The program was outstanding! The dive instructors and support staff were wonderful. The locations we dove were interesting and diverse. Willy, Pete, Felix and Matt were knowledgeable, and committed to both safety and fun. The cooks prepared great food, and it was plentiful! The housekeeper truly cared about the guests comfort, ensuring rooms were kept clean daily. We would return in the future, definitely. Thank you for a great week!

• International Volunteer HQ [IVHQ] responded to this review June 08, 2018 at 4:23 PM

Hi Nora, Thanks for taking the time to write a review of your time on our Belize program. It sounds like you had a fantastic time and made a valuable contribution to marine conservation efforts. We hope to have you join us again soon! ^Clover - IVHQ Belize Program Manager

Impressed!

By far the best volunteer program out there

I LOVED using IVHQ to volunteer in Zimbabwe. It was easy to navigate the website and find which program you wanted to take part in, and the company gives you all the information you need before you go! I felt safe and excited to take my trip knowing that I was doing it with IVHQ. The hardest part about going to another country is knowing what to expect, and IVHQ made sure that you knew before you went. I cannot wait to book through IVHQ again.

• International Volunteer HQ [IVHQ] responded to this review May 29, 2018 at 5:39 PM

Thanks for your review, Julianne! It is great to hear that you enjoyed your IVHQ experience and felt supported from beginning to end. We look forward to having you join another program in the future. ^Claire - IVHQ Victoria Falls Program Manager

Volunteering in Sri Lanka

I volunteered in Sri Lanka with IVHQ. A lot has been said about the program already. Ultimately, I think, the only way to truly understand what it is like is to get on a plane and go. Just go. Anyone who is thinking about volunteering, do it. IVHQ does a great job at simplifying the process prior to departure. Samantha was always available and ready to answer all my questions. In Sri Lanka, the local team was genuinely helpful, the work was rewarding, and all the volunteers I met along the way were wonderful people. It was hard to leave even after only a few weeks.

• International Volunteer HQ [IVHQ] responded to this review June 08, 2018 at 4:21 PM

Hi Alessio, thanks for taking the time to share your experience volunteering. Your words of wisdom are spot on and it is great to hear that the volunteering work was rewarding. Thank you for volunteering with IVHQ and we would love to have you join us again! ^Samantha - IVHQ Sri Lanka Program Manager

A life changing experience!

I cannot recommend the island outreach program enough! From the moment i arrived in Madagascar i received so much support from the local staff and other volunteers. The staff made sure i was safe and comfortable in my accommodation and always wanted to know about feedback to help the programs grow which i think is brilliant. The program itself was life changing and is an experience that will stay with me forever. It helped me get out of my comfort zone, grow as a person and i really felt like i had an impact on the local communities and wildlife. Every second of the program was incredible and i have made such good friends from the experience. If you're thinking about doing the island outreach program then just go for it! You won't regret it

• International Volunteer HQ [IVHQ] responded to this review May 29, 2018 at 5:35 PM

Thanks for taking the time to write your review Joshua! It is great to hear that you enjoyed yourself on the project, and were able to make meaningful connections with other volunteers, as well as giving back to the different communities you visited while on the project. ^Claire - IVHQ Madagascar Program Manager

Amazing experience

IVHQ is my third volunteer program and by far my favourite and the most affordable! I travelled to Bali-Ubud for 3 weeks on the Kindergarten project. I have travelled with a few different volunteer organizations, IVHQ is for sure the one I will go back too! I had a such a great experience as IVHQ provided a volunteer house with amazing kitchen staff, and coordinators that provided the support I needed along with an amazing orientation week. The online training before hand was well worth it and helped me get into the right mindset for what I was going to experience.
I recommend IVHQ to anyone who wants the freedom to travel but also have enough support and structure for a volunteer project. You are able to choose a project that is right for you. I loved my kindergarten class and honestly 3 weeks was NOT enough.

• International Volunteer HQ [IVHQ] responded to this review May 29, 2018 at 5:28 PM

Hi Sandra, it is great to read a wonderful review from you! We really appreciated your work and are glad to hear that you had such a great experience. IVHQ would love to have you back any time! ^Brigitte - IVHQ Bali Program Manager

Turtle conservation project in Costa Rica

Costa Rica's Turtle Conservation Project was one thing I will never forget! Such an eye opening and amazing experience. The IHQV program is an amazing way to explore the world in a feasible way. Not only is it affordable but I would have never experienced anything like it! IHQV Brings so much more, more ham any guided tour, more than a resort, and more than anything you could experience on your own. They have demonstrated such strong dedication to make sure every part of the trip is a great learning exprenice while keeping it fun. One of my most memeroble moments would be seeing the indangered leather back turtle lay her eggs. Because the leather back is in such danger it is critical that her eggs are gathered and re-nested in the hatchery where they can be taken care of and monitered to keep them safe from predators. I was lucky enough to be able to personally collect her eggs and dig a new nest to place each egg carfully. It was truley an amazing experience. I wish I could go back to see them hatch! Not only was this such an amazing experience, but every single person I met on this trip through the program m, I will dearly miss. IHQV brings everyone with similar ambitions together and from all over the world. I loved to meet people from the UK, Australia and Italy. Never could I go anywhere and meet such amazing people in one single place. I would recommend this program a million times. Leaving was hard, I'll miss my friends I have made and most importantly all the work that was done everyday to help such a wonderful project!

• International Volunteer HQ [IVHQ] responded to this review May 21, 2018 at 9:29 PM

Hi Drew, thank you for sharing your incredible experience on the Turtle Conservation project in Costa Rica! It's amazing that you were able to help in the protection of the leatherback turtles eggs as this is such an important task in the conservation of the turtles. We would love to have you join us again in the future! ^Rachel - IVHQ Costa Rica Program Manager

volunteer teaching in Sri Lanka

Anyone thinking of doing this program should definitely do it. I was a bit hesitant at first but once I committed I didn't look back. I felt so safe and supported and there was always someone to talk to if I needed some help. The choice of programs were extensive and the living quarters were very clean and. I think IVHQ offers great value for money and I spent much less money when I was there than I thought I would. The staff and other volunteers were all lovely and I felt very comfortable there.

• International Volunteer HQ [IVHQ] responded to this review May 21, 2018 at 11:13 PM

Thanks for sharing your experience on the program! It was great to read all about your time in India, sounds like you had an amazing experience and I'm glad to hear that you were well looked after by the local team! I'm sure this will have an everlasting impact on you and your insight is very valuable for future IVHQ volunteers. Thanks for volunteering with IVHQ and we would love to have you join us again! ^Samantha - IVHQ Sri Lanka Program Manager

An experience I truly cherish!

My time volunteering in Naples, Italy with IVHQ and the local team at INN is an experience that I hold extremely close to my heart!

I applied for the Environmental Project for 2 months, and the team provided me with all the help before departure, including help with the visa. My work involved helping with the animals in a farm that was located on a hill that overlooked the gorgeous city of Napoli and the sea! It was such an awarding experience to help with the animals at the farm, I felt so much at peace whenever I was there. The local staff was always there to help you in any aspect and they make sure you feel at home! The best part is how the atmosphere there is very positive and pleasant, the local people are great and always ready to help with a smile.

Naples is definitely a city to go with an open mind and get lost in its beauty while exploring, and the location where the accommodation is located is in a wonderful area full of young people, plus there is also the chance to visit so many nearby cities during the weekends. Add to that the delicious food that you will never get bored of!

Volunteering in Naples is an experience that will leave you with friends that you will always stay in touch with, a lot of cultural immersion, immense personal growth, and a definite wish to return. I could not have asked for a better 2 months, and wish to be back soon !!

• International Volunteer HQ [IVHQ] responded to this review May 22, 2018 at 10:23 PM

Hi Tarika - I loved reading about your time in Naples, and I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed your 2 months on the program! Naples really is a special place and our local team will be thrilled to hear that you felt at home during your time with them. I wish you all the best, and hope to have you join us again in the future. ^Kaila - IVHQ Italy Program Manager

IVHQ South Africa

I volunteered in South Africa with IVHQ surf outreach. We surfed and played everyday with the children of the townships. My heart is forever in South Africa. What an amazing experience, the children don't have lives like most, but make the most out of everyday. They have so much passion for life. Everyone forgets all their worries, and just goes for it in the waves, having a blast everyday. I met volunteers from around the world here, and I think of them as family now. So many adventures and memories this experience was everything I could have asked for. IVHQ did a wonderful job, from the airport pick up, to the housing, food, and 24 hour support. I loved volunteering so much I plan on going again!

• International Volunteer HQ [IVHQ] responded to this review May 21, 2018 at 9:40 PM

Hi Amy, thanks for taking the time to post your reviews! It is great that you got to share your passion for surfing through volunteering while you were travelling. I know both the children and local team loved your enthusiasm and effort you put into everyday. Great photos! Thank you for sharing. ^Claire - IVHQ South Africa Program Manager

Magic!

I went to Cusco in June-July, for 5 weeks! I volunteered 3 weeks in a school with kids and 2 weeks in the zoo of the University. Both of programs was so much fun ! Just a little warning : don't accept the food at the school , the kid and the teacher can put some pression but it's important to say NO! I said yes and i've made an indigestion 2 hours after, for 5 days... nice ! Additionally, the staff is really amazing and always there if you need help! My host-family was really cool and we were 13 volunteers in the same house , so its easy to make activity with them during the evening! In perou, I've discover some wonderful people, amazing places, good food and a different culture! My best memories was to visit Plaza del Armas, the Macchu Picchu, rainbow mountain, moray, salt mines and the lake Titicaca during the weekend. The organisation American Inca Trail is a great staff to organize your tour! Finally, Just do it !

• International Volunteer HQ [IVHQ] responded to this review May 21, 2018 at 9:46 PM

Hi Florence, It's nice to hear from you! It sounds like you had a wonderful experience across your projects and exploring the wonders of Peru. Thanks for your feedback and for being a wonderful volunteer. We hope you'll join us again in the future. ^Andrea - IVHQ Peru - Cusco Program Manager

Special needs in Kenya!

I just finished my time in Kenya volunteering with Special Needs! The time spent was not long enough! I was so pleased with the communication of the team for local placement, local transportation, and even back at the office with IVHQ. You have to be open minded and ready for anything, and you will have a GREAT experience. The orientation really helped prep me for what to expect as far as making Kenya home for my time here, and my home stays were welcoming and treated me like family. Plus I have made friends for life with the other volunteers! I fell in love with all the children at my placement, and I was so sad to leave! I am already planning my return back to stay longer. I also got the opportunity to go on a safari and see an amazing city tour, thanks to the companies IVHQ partnered with. I always felt taken care of, which is important! Highly recommend and to come ready for anything!!

• International Volunteer HQ [IVHQ] responded to this review May 21, 2018 at 10:23 PM

Thanks for sharing your experience about your time in Kenya. It's awesome to hear that you enjoyed your time at the Special Needs Care placement and at your home stay. Kenyans are incredibly friendly people so it doesn't surprise me that the host family treated you like family. Maybe next time you volunteer in Kenya, you could stay for longer :) Thanks for being a great volunteer! ^Will - IVHQ Kenya Program Manager