Affordable Volunteer Abroad Programs: from USD 10 per day

Affordable Volunteer Abroad Programs: from USD 10 per day

Ghana - Summer 2017

A very enriching experience. The organization is always there to help you and provide with chances to immerse yourself with the local culture, plus the Ghanaian people are quite friendly in general. There are a lot of opportunities for the volunteers to help.

Short but very very sweet!

I have volunteered in many countries....even a 2 year peace corps stint in Romania and I have honestly never come across a company that is as thoroughly prepares and takes care of the volunteers. Morocco was wonderful....although my first site was not ideal, IVHQ quickly put me in a site where I felt needed and valued. I had an excellent host family, the food was amazing and even though it was Ramadan the family did not make me feel bad if I decided not to observe the fasting.
The orientation was great, the airport pickup was great and one of the best parts of volunteering is always meeting the other volunteers and making new friends. IVHQ offers organized travel options for before or after your volunteering time and they are much less expensive than if you were to try to organize them yourself.
I have also volunteered with IVHQ in Africa and had a wonderful experience there as well and did a long 8 week volunteer in Kenya.....I also had a great experience with IVHQ there as well......
One last side note, I am a 58 year old woman and traveled to Morocco alone and felt completely safe alone. I have also brought my two young children volunteering with IVHQ (at the time 10 and 12 years old) and they were treated with great care and it was a wonderful experience for them!
I FULLY recommend IVHQ above any other agencies as I have had the best experience, value and ease of program with them.

Turtle Conservation in Junquillal, Costa Rica.

I volunteered for the Turtle Conservation through IVHQ/Maximo Nivel in August. I was posted to Verdiazul in Junquillal and really enjoyed the experience. The activities included patrolling the beach at night, cleaning the hatchery and reforestation so we were definitely kept busy! The turtle sightings were better than expected- whilst I was there we had two hatchings and on one of the patrols we found five nests and saw two turtles in one night. I would definitely recommend IVHQ, Maximo Nivel and Verdiazul to anyone looking to volunteer in Costa Rica as I had no problems with any of the companies.

Experiencing Madrid

IVHQ's Madrid program was amazing. You are located in a safe area with 24/7 support and receive a comprehensive orientation. The apartments are more than comfortable and are close to public transportation. I had work in the morning and free nights and weekends to explore with my phenomenal housemates. We even flew to Lisbon, Portugal one weekend. You must go to the night club, "Teatro Capital" one night if nothing else when looking for the social scene and the food in Spain is to die for. Safe travels!

IVHQ in Hawaii

I chose to partake in a one-week volunteer program through IVHQ in Hawaii and the only bad thing was that I did not do the two-week option. The application was easy and simple with step-by-step instructions helping you along the way.
I had the most amazing week spent volunteering in Hawaii with the working days not being too long, thus allowing plenty of time to explore the island of Oahu and do more holiday type activities like surfing in Waikiki and kayaking etc.
The people I met whilst volunteering were all so nice and friendly making the experience even more enjoyable and will be people I stay in contact with for a long time. The staff (Katie) made the experience feel less like working and educated us as well as allowing us to enjoy ourselves too- helping us out whenever was necessary.
The accommodation was ideal for volunteers as it was very spacious and in a great location with unbelievable views of the mountains.
Overall, i would recommend this IVHQ programme to anybody that asks me about it as it will be the best week or two weeks of your life and all at a very god price!

Don't wait until tomorrow to live your dreams!!

I was nervous before I started my trip as this was my volunteering experience along with my first trip outside of Europe however all I can say is WOW what an amazing experience!!!! There is so much to see and learn about the animals, the culture and the people that you will wish you were staying for even longer!! The people, the food, the accommodation and the activities out on the reserve along with the range of activities you can do at the weekend (I highly recommend the microlight flight over Vic Falls itself) made this without doubt one of the best experiences of my life and something I will cherish forever!

Phenomenal experience at IVHQ gold program

After spending 10 weeks as a construction volunteer over the Summer of 2017 at the Gold Program I cannot recommend partaking in a volunteer program enough. Being able to achieve an equilibrium between engaging in meaningful and rewarding volunteer work and having time to explore Ghana and become truly immersed in Ghanaian culture is important, but once achieved volunteering is an amazing way to travel. The accommodation/facilities at Gold Program are relatively basic however the opportunities to interact with the local community, the breath-taking local scenery and the attentiveness and willingness of the program coordinators to optimize volunteer's experiences more than compensates for it.

Morocco

This trip was by far the most amazing trip I have ever taken. It not only taught me about the culture and people of Morocco, but I also learned a lot about myself. I never knew how much I love teaching before volunteering with IVHQ. I not only tested the students, but the students tested me. None of the students knew how to speak English, and I do not speak a lick of Arabic, but some how we could meet in the middle using body language and symbols.
I am really happy I could work primarily with children. They are so eager to learn and excited to be in a classroom; even though they were no where near as big and equipped as the classrooms in the states.
My host family was also incredible and I will never forget one of their faces or beautiful smiles. They were so sweet and generous. No one spoke English in the family either, but that made communication more interesting and fun. They never made me feel uncomfortable or unwelcome, in fact they always made warm amazing meals, provided nice beds, and even rides if I needed to go to the ATM or train station.
This was a trip that I could write about for days. If I have any advice, it would be to really dedicate to your program. My roommate and I made lesson plans, bought new notebooks and pens for the students, and even stayed after class to help anyone who asked. Also, to go in with an open mind and try new foods and explore new customs.
IVHQ is an amazing program and I only wish I would have heard about it earlier.

Worth every penny

This experience was life-changing. I hate to sound cliche, but I met the most amazing people through the program. I was able to explore the country like I never would have been able to. The staff was so amazing and supportive, the volunteers were all fun and diverse, and the country was absolutely beautiful. This was the perfect way to make a productive use of my summer.

One of the best decisions of my life

I volunteered for a month in Fiji and it was easily the best decision I've made this year. In January I decided to do something with purpose but at the time I didn't know what that meant. So when I found IVHQ online, I was genuinely excited and I changed my perspective on how I'd start living my life. I don't know exactly what lead me to choose Fiji, but there's no question that it was the perfect choice for me. The program manager was so helpful and answered all of my questions within a reasonable time, and once I was passed onto the Green Lion staff in Fiji, I felt safe and comfortable.
I know a lot of people travel to see the world but I knew I wanted to travel in order to make a difference; and not just a difference in the world but a difference in my own life. I wanted to not only help those in areas of the world who needed help, but I also wanted to be reminded of how blessed I am. I used to worry too much about the materialistic things in life but traveling halfway around the world by myself just to experience another culture and lend a helping hand gave me insight into the more important things in life. I grasped the importance of team work, community, and awareness. There was no end to what the Fijian people could teach me about their way of life, their beautiful country, or the significance of loving those around you. Even more, I met some of the most amazing people during this journey. I never once felt like I was far from home, and I will never forget those who had a life changing impact on me.
I will forever be grateful for the way I felt welcomed into this lovely part of the world. I received everything I expected out of the experience plus much much more. Thanks to IVHQ and the difference they're making in the world by letting people like me travel and volunteer, I will definitely be back someday because Fiji now has a part of my heart.

Enlightening experience so far beyond words that you would have to be there to understand!

I think what was most rewarding for me was being able to go to another country and live and experience the same things that the natives experience on a daily basis. Coming from the United States I had so many preconceived ideas about what Guatemala would be like and admittedly, each of them was wrong.

I loved the routine schedule because it kept me on track. I also loved being surrounded by students and young adults like myself because we were able to create a bond (I am still in contact with at least 3 people from the program) and we also learned so much from one another.

My housing situation was very unique but it was very comforting to know that we had staff available at all times if/when necessary throughout the duration of my stay. I was also comforted by surrounding roommates and just knowing that we were relatively close to the Maximo Nivel office.

Youth support programme in Portugal - excellent

Just returned from the Youth Support Programme in Lisborn Portugal. The whole experience was fantastic. The local Team are excellent and welcoming. the placement was great - working with local children who were interested and engaged, a real pleasure and fulfilling to work with. The other volunteers were really sociable and great fun.

Lisbon and Portgual are beautiful, friendly and cheap! Great beaches, sightseeing, nightlife and load to do.

The best decision ever

I choose South Africa to expend my 22 weeks of volunteer in the childcare program, and was the best decision ever!
In that 5 month I meet my sisters from an other mother, I meet my south African mom, she live with us in the volunteers house and is really one of the best person that I ever meet. And of course my beautiful kids, my incredibles and cutest kids!
This kids teach me a lot of things, at the same time that I teach they an others, the are always happy to see us, they are always enjoy the time with us. They histories of life, they actitud for life, they energy, are things that I'll never forget.
All the people that I meet in that time, all my cutest kids, all the DTR staff and all the memories are going to have a space in my heart forever.

• Itinerary

• Satisfaction

Physical therapy in Peru

I was able to volunteer at a special needs orphanage in Lima, Peru. I helped the Physical Therapist do range-of-motion with the children. It was wonderful to get the kids out of their wheelchairs and help them loosen up and relax. The best was seeing smiles on their faces from just having more stimulation.

I traveled on the weekends with the other volunteers. Such an awesome experience making memories with new friends. We went sand boarding in Huacachina, hiking in Huaraz, and exploring in Cusco and Machu Picchu.

An amazing experience

I went to Madagascar with the Idea of teaching locals, but in the end, I've been the one who has learned the most from this amazing experience. I was in community program, and thanks to the staff, who was always available to teach you Malagasy I got the chance to establish an incredible friendship with the locals and playing their kids. The camp life was amazing, I have seen dolphins from the balcony of my hut, turtles right outside of beach camp, and the list could go on for ages. I recommend this program for whoever is looking for an adventure; you won't regret it!

Volunteering in South Africa!

I volunteered in a township daycare for 9 weeks. It was an amazing experience!! I gained so much cultural experience and grew so much. The local team felt like a second family and I made friends from all over the world through this program. It was an awesome experience. Cape Town is the perfect place to volunteer because we would volunteer in the mornings and have the afternoon/night free for anything! There's so many activities to do in Cape Town and so much natural beauty. I hiked, went shark cage diving, bungee jumped, and so much more! I can't wait to go back!

Amazing first experience volunteering abroad

this was my first time doing anything like this and it was an experience of a lifetime. IVHQ make me feel safe through my whole volunteer program and that made my experience so much more enjoyable. i was on the Childcare program and i was a little worried about m=not making any friends but you soon become close with the fellow volunteers on your program and i still keep in touch with some of them now.
i wasn't sure what to expect but we were greeted with opened arms on our project and the children we looked after were very grateful and the work we were doing. just being there with the children makes their lives better.

overall, if you going with an open mind you'll have a fun and safe experience whilst having fun, making a difference.
i would definitely recommend this program to someone who is looking to volunteer abroad for the first time.

Ace volunteering days !

I just quite miss my volunteering days in NZL. oh one thing, before I get started, plz let me tell you I'm not an English native speaker so you guys need to bear with my improper words or adjectives LOL. thx!What impressed me most about this trip is that I get to know so many friends, like sqwad. . . cuz we've got plenty of time to catch up or proceed the task together which I benefit from a lot. I like to talk to them so much. Friends are the most preciousness in my life that I keep seeking and chasing. Thus it's Fantastic I have to say. Amy, the manager of our team is so nice and extrovert that we like her so much. She did her job conscientiously and passionately. A cool girl isn't it ? Besides you can really experience volunteering like weeding for example, that I learn a lot. and cooperating and coordinating with team. That was definitely unforgettable!The food for each morning is various cuz you can choose different dishes according to your own appetite. I like Bagel and Scramble so much BTW, Crossiant is not bad as well haha. Sandwich is staple food here for lunch. We got different salad every day as well which I cannot get used to. Probably that is bec the taste of my traditional food is not consistent with salad here. BUT anyway you can hang out and have dinner outside every night with you friends. And room, Talking about room we live in, it's backpacker. like u can encounter people from different countries and culture. Amazing!Sometimes we cook meals ourselves in the public kitchen that accommodates a lot of mates, buddies. Cool Cool!NZL is a fantastic place. I love it and hopefully I will set foot on this piece of land again!woo woo !

Amazing

I volunteered at Peru for 4 weeks, the best time of my life. I met a lot of people from different parts of the world. I would totally do it again. Don't be scared to go alone, you'll make lots of friends.

IVHQ Ecuador

Volunteering with IVHQ was my first time traveling to another country. So to do it alone was nerve-racking. I'm very happy with my experience with IVHQ Ecuador. Before departing, my program coordinator with IVHQ was very helpful in quickly answering all questions I had regarding the program and making sure I was prepared. She also directed me to a social media group that allowed me to get in contact with other volunteers before arriving.

After arriving to Ecuador, I met other volunteers and we were introduced to the two programs we would be working with. VCE assisted us in making sure our accommodations were adequate and provided orientation and assistance throughout our time there. They also offered assistance to help coordinate our weekend travels. UBECI was the program where we worked on our projects. The staff was wonderful in incorporating us into their daily activities.

Every person I met during my trip, from volunteers to program staff, had a positive impact on my experience in Ecuador. I always felt safe and it was an amazing experience to be able to immerse myself into the culture there. I would recommend IVHQ to anyone you wants an affordable way to volunteer/travel, immersion into a different culture, or to meet like minded individuals.

How South Africa impacted my life in such a positive and encouraging way

The 2 months I experienced in South Africa volunteering in the Sports Development Program impacted my life in such a positive way. It made me realize and open my eyes to learning and experiencing new things whether the things I found out were heart breaking or where filled with joy. The children I got to meet and got to know still stay in my heart to this day and will forever be remembered. Going to volunteer every day filled me with happiness and excitement, by playing games with the kids and teaching them to properly be apart of society was a rewarding feeling. I personally believe that I made an impact in these children's lives and I will continue from now on to give my time to people in need. I didn't know what to expect when first applying for this program, but all I can say is that it is life changing. I've grown as a person and I strongly believe that everyone should give it a chance to help someone in need. Also, when meeting the new volunteers I've made friendships that words cannot explain. I can truthfully say that I've made long life friends even though most of them live in all areas of the world. People who are thinking of volunteering abroad, don't think; do. It's a life changing experience and it's one thing you won't forget.

Ghana gold program

Volunteering with IVHQ was one of the best experiences i've ever had. Throughout my whole journey, i felt safe and in good hands while traveling on my own for the first time. The local team there is absolutely incredible, including Evans, Edward, and all the others there to guide volunteers through their journey. I would highly recommend it to anyone looking to experience a beautiful part of Africa with wonderful people!

Tarquy sonqo - spreading love, Peru

The experience I had teaching abroad is one that I will absolutely never forget. Not knowing too much about Peru before choosing my program, I dove right into one of the best experiences of my life. I had the opportunity to live and work in Lima, teaching English to children in Pachacutec, an impoverished part of Lima where the kids are so happy and grateful just to be around you. While I taught English to these kids, they taught me so much more about community, strength, and happiness - and Spanish! My time volunteering with IVHQ was the most rewarding, and I will urge more people to volunteer abroad.

Medical placement in Senya

Went for 4 weeks and had an amazing time. Most rewarding was the malaria outreach program we did on the last weekend. We had to do a lot of fundraising for it and so it would have been better to know these outreaches are volunteer funded before we left home to make raising money easier. That said, we were also told multiple times it is an optional extra and there's no need to worry if you don't do one.
Had a great bunch of fellow volunteer - exuberant and committed. Also just a point of note for any males going volunteering here, you will be vastly outnumbered by female volunteers so expect the local children to be demanding of your time for football!

IVHQ Volunteering Round 2!

Earlier this year I volunteered with IVHQ in their construction program for 3 weeks in Cusco, Peru. That was one of the best experiences I have ever had and felt that no future volunteer trip would be able to top it. Then, I signed up for my second opportunity with IVHQ in their Costa Rica Construction program for 4 weeks. I was taken back with both my project and the people I worked with and how amazing of an experience it was.

From my very first day on my construction project, I began to actually see the difference I was making, not just physically with the office we were building, but also with our interactions with the local people. It was clear how excited and thankful they were to have us there, improving their community. I ended up staying on the construction program a total of 3 weeks until the project was finished and was so proud of everyone who dedicated their time and efforts.

I was so thrilled with my time so far in Costa Rica that I made the decision to extend my trip by an extra week and participate in the Turtle Conservation program. I could not be happier with my decision to extend my trip and have made so many fantastic memories on the turtle project.

IVHQ, as always, was there every step of the way and gave me the support and help I needed throughout my entire volunteer process. I want to thank Clover and Lachlan especially for all their hard work and kindness while helping me before, during and even after my adventure when I arrived safely home.

My time in Costa Rica has been phenomenal, from the food to the people to the actual projects, my experience couldn't have been better. Thank you so much IVHQ and I cannot wait to start many other adventures with this organization in the future!