Physical Therapy in Nepal with Projects Abroad

Physical Therapy in Nepal with Projects Abroad

Nepal :)

I volunteered in a physical therapy clinic in Nepal and I definitely want to go back. The projects abroad staff was very helpful in anything we may need, and I absolutely love the family I was placed to live with during my stay. I learned and grew so much in the couple weeks I was there.

• Projects Abroad responded to this review August 11, 2017 at 4:56 PM

Thanks for sharing, Melissa! Our local staff is always happy to help, and so are our host families, who are always looking forward to meeting new volunteers from around the world.

Physical therapy in Nepal with Projects Abroad

For five weeks I volunteered at the Sahara Physiotherapy Rehabilitation Hospital in Kathmandu, Nepal through Projects Abroad. The staff at Sahara Physiotherapy Rehabilitation Hospital were welcoming, and willing to teach. They encouraged us to ask questions and to collaborate ideas for alternative forms of treatment. Most of the patients were those who suffered from a stroke or a spinal injury. My work there included strengthening, balancing, and gait training. The patients there were motivated and curious about the volunteers who came to visit the clinic. Sometimes I feel that I was learning more from them then they were from me.

The host family that I was placed with was just amazing. They made me and the other volunteers feel as if we were at home. They were curious about us, our family and where we came from. The family was always willing to teach us about the Nepali culture and the places to see and experience.

The Projects Abroad Staff was extremely helpful during the entire process. From the moment that I expressed interest in their program they stayed in contact with me. They answered their messages in a timely manner as well. They made sure all of my documents were up to date, arrange my travel itinerary, helped me locate my luggage after it was lost on the way to Nepal, and when I arrived they were still there if I needed them.

During my free time in Nepal, I would meet with other volunteers in the organization. We would explore the city, go shopping, explore the local restaurants, sometimes we would explore outside the city of Kathmandu. One weekend we travel to Chitwan National Park another weekend we went to Pokhara. We were able to experience a jungle safari, hiking, white water rafting, paragliding and much more.

I highly recommend visiting Nepal and using Projects Abroad. They are reasonably affordable, they help you throughout the entire process, they give you the freedom to experience the Nepali culture first hand and are available when you need them. The experiences that you have and the memories that you make while in Nepal will last you a lifetime.

• Projects Abroad responded to this review September 07, 2016 at 2:37 PM

Hi Altemus, thanks for sharing your story! Cultural interchange is what Projects Abroad is all about, so we are glad you got to about Nepali culture first hand from your local host family, and that you were able to share your own culture with them as well! Nepal has so much to offer it's great that you were able to explore it with your fellow volunteers, these are definitely once in a lifetime opportunities!

My Two Week Pediatric Physical Therapy Experience in Nepal

My time with Projects Abroad consisted of two weeks of volunteering in Nepal. I am currently in the process of applying to Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) programs in the U.S. I have an undergraduate degree in Biology and Philosophy. To continue my preparation for DPT school, I was eager to volunteer and learn in a pediatric physiotherapy setting. Being a student, it was extremely helpful of Projects Abroad to organize the entire trip for me in such a smooth manner.

They organized my entire two week stay and the entire staff were supportive start to finish. I felt very secure in the back of my head knowing that they will always be there if need be. That brought my independent traveling in Nepal, even more pleasure. Everything from my host family, to my placement, along with important aspects such as getting picked up and dropped off from the airport to and from the hotel, was peaceful and relaxing. So I got to focus on what was important, my volunteer work, getting to know the beautiful country and its friendly people. The Projects Abroad staff on my induction day was nice enough to show me and a fellow volunteer the essentials a traveler might need while staying in Thamel and it was really helpful during my weekend visits.

I volunteered in a Physiotherapy department at the Hospital and Rehabilitation for Disabled Children (HRDC) in Banepa, which was about an hour drive away from Kathmandu. They are known for specializing in treating clubfoot, cerebral palsy, post-burn contractures among other rare disorders that I would not normally come across in the U.S. Thus, it was a very valuable learning experience for me. I learned to apply Ponseti casts, splints, helped patients exercise, observed evaluations, went over treatment options with the physiotherapists and even got to observe for a day at the operation theatre. I got to witness how HRDC functioned in a comprehensive manner addressing both the social and healthcare aspects in a country like Nepal. I would highly recommend Projects Abroad to anyone willing to volunteer and gain such unforgettable experiences.

Physical therapy in Nepal

My experience with Projects Abroad was completely positive, which allowed me to have the most wonderful journey in Nepal. I was unsure of which organization to do my project through. There were so many different organizations and so many varied reviews. But due to the variety, price, and review of projects abroad I decided to do my project through them. The staff was wonderful. I had an amazing host family. My placement allowed me to learn so much. I spent 5 weeks in Nepal performing physical therapy work. I was able to create friendship and memories that will last a lifetime.
Getting ready to travel abroad was a very confusing process for me as I had never traveled sole to a foreign country. However, Jessica, my pre-departure support staff, was helpful. She was a little slow to answer my questions, but she always responded and answered my questions fully and to the best of her ability. I also used the pre-departure website all the time- as it was extremely helpful. It included information about my placement, my health concerns in Nepal, visa information, packing lists, and many other helpful topics.
During my stay in Nepal, I have no complaints whatsoever about my experience. The host family was amazing and completely accommodating to certain health restrictions in my diet and everything. They took care of all the cooking and cleaning and made me feel completely comfortable in their home.
Because of my desire to become a physical therapist, I chose to due physical therapy work during my stay in Nepal. I was placed at a rehabilitation center for children with cerebral palsy. I learned so much from the physical therapist and got a lot of hands on work. At one point my placement was no longer suitable for me to work in. Because of the help of the staff, I was able to change placements and begin a new journey at an official physical therapy clinic. Here I was able to perform physical therapy on the individuals of Nepal who had suffered from strokes, traumatic brain injuries, trauma, and other injuries.
I was able to create many friendships during my time abroad. I met other individuals from around the world and was also able to travel around Nepal creating unbelievable memories. Projects Abroad created many opportunities for us all to connect with each other and also planned weekend excursions for the volunteers. We had weekly events that was open to all volunteers in Nepal which were a great opportunity to meet other people from around the world. These things made it easy to truly experience Nepal and bond as volunteer from very different backgrounds.

• Projects Abroad responded to this review June 30, 2017 at 2:07 PM

Hi Hannah. Thank you for trusting us with your volunteer abroad experience. It's great that you had such an amazing time in Nepal and that you were able to observe Physical Therapy as it is done both in a rehabilitation center and a physical therapy clinic. We are always working hard so you can learn as much as you can and want during your time abroad. Thanks for sharing!

Physical Therapy in Nepal

One thing you need to remember before volunteering in physical therapy in Nepal is this: it is not the same type of experience you'd gain by volunteering somewhere in the West! The beauty of volunteering in a place like Nepal is to better understand Nepalese healthcare, treatment style, and approach to medicine in general. Although I did learn a lot about physical therapy practice, I don't think what I learned will help me become an effective physical therapist in the States. Instead, getting to know the therapists, speaking with the patients, and understanding the situation of the Nepalese people is what will make you a better healthcare provider when you get home-- and that is why volunteering in Nepal is an invaluable experience.

• Projects Abroad responded to this review September 07, 2016 at 2:29 PM

Hi Julia! Indeed, medicine in general is quite different in the East to what we are typically used to in he West. That makes the Physical Therapy placement in Nepal that much more challenging and interesting, so we are glad you enjoyed it and that it has helped you with your career back home. Thanks for the feedback!

The International Volunteer Programs Association