Projects Abroad in Cambodia

Projects Abroad in Cambodia

Public Health- great experience, highly recommend

I would highly recommend volunteering with Projects Abroad. The in-country staff was amazing. They were incredibly helpful. This program is slightly more expensive than other programs but it is worth it. I did the public health project. We worked in the poor communities around Phnom Penh, along with several other communities around Cambodia. I mostly lived in the apartment in Phnom Penh which was very clean with excellent food. It was very fun living with all the other volunteers. I also stayed with a host family for a week which was a great experience, seeing how the Khmer people live by actually living with them. For another week I stayed with the conservation group on King Island. That was a different experience and gave a good all around view of the country. At times the scheduling could be a little disorganized but it worked out in the end. The program managers that we worked with in public health really helped us get hands on experience and teach us about medicine. You have to really invest in the program and you will get out what you put in.

• Projects Abroad responded to this review October 18, 2016 at 11:58 AM

Hi Katie! It's great that you got to combine 2 different kinds of programs in Cambodia and experience living with a host family and learning about medicine with the incredible nature and environment of Cambodia. Scheduling can indeed be a bit tricky with many volunteers arounds, but thank you for your patience and your feedback!

Excellent

I really enjoyed this opportunity to work abroad. This is my second time using Projects Abroad with my first experience being a nursing internship in Nepal. This time around was a Public Health internship in the capital city of Phnom Penh. I traveled with my wife who was working with English Education and Projects Abroad was able to accommodate us with our lodging as well as transportation so that we were able to stay together during our time there. I had an excellent experience working in different districts in and around Phnom Penh, and I was able to truly experience the culture in the short time that I was there. The work mostly consisted of distributing medications to individuals as well as providing health education and giving cursory physical assessments. While I greatly enjoyed the work, we also had a great time traveling around Cambodia to such places as Koh Rong Samleoum, Siem Reap (Ankor Wat), and Sihnoukville. We were also able to tour the S-21 and the Killing Fields which are essential pieces to an an important time in the development of the country. I highly recommend traveling with Projects Abroad for a safe and inclusive experience as well as traveling to Cambodia both to discover more about the past and yourself!

• Projects Abroad responded to this review November 07, 2017 at 1:41 PM

Dear Tyler. Thank you for choosing to volunteer abroad with us again! Sounds like you and your wife han an amazing time in Phnom Penh combining your volunteer work with travelling. It's such a beautiful country, isn't it? Hope to see you again in another one of our projects soon!

The International Volunteer Programs Association