Projects Abroad in Cambodia

Projects Abroad in Cambodia

Thought of everything, couldn't ask for more

I spent two weeks volunteering in Cambodia with 5 other girls in the High School program. We got along so well and were all there for the same reasons- we wanted to contribute our skills to the placement.

Our day consisted of leaving for our placement around 8 which we were driven by our fantastic driver. We would then help build a playground and develop a veggie patch where they could grow vegetables to become self-sustainable. Our driver would then bring us Lunch and we would break for mid-day rest hour. In the afternoon we would then help out with teaching English to the kids, conversational English and the pronunciation is very important as they can learn grammatical from text book but not native pronounciation. We would finish at the placement around 5 and then head back to our accommodation for Dinner. After Dinner we would explore the local markets and everything else there was to see. The Staff at Projects Abroad were there to support us 24/7 in country and back Home.

Everything was organised and taken care of, no problem was too big or small for all staff. My placement was great, fun and I feel that what I contributed was of benefit in Cambodia. For what you pay and what you get; everything was great. Airport transfers, meals cooked every day, drivers to placement and PA staff at the placement. No detail was overlooked.
It was a well run program and I felt I was in safe hands. I recommended this program to someone else and they had an experience very like my own which was great to hear. It’s great to know that the team at Projects Abroad believe in what they do.

• Projects Abroad responded to this review March 09, 2018 at 5:37 PM

Hi Natalie. It is wonderful to hear you had such an amazing time in Cambodia. A fantastic aspect of our High School Specials is that we organize every activity for you so you can really seize the day and be as helpful as you can with the community, while also getting to explore everything they have to offer. It is also a great way to meet friends from around the world who share the same perspective as you, which is always refreshing. Thanks for sharing!

My 2-week public health volunteer experience in Cambodia

My first time away from home volunteering experience was fantastic with Projects Abroad. Upon my arrival in Phnom Penh, Cambodia, I was welcomed warmly and amazingly. I was given a city tour and introduced to the local cultures/language the first day there. The following work days, I worked alongside qualified professionals at various places such as child care center, kindergarten, impoverished communities and center for disabled children ((different activities every single day), providing basic health services and education on illness prevention. The evaluation procedures were easy to grasp with the help of the experts. Through the outreach processes, I’ve learned how to test and screen for illnesses and prescribe relevant medications in addition to build quality interactions with the patients.

I found it quite impressive that this program brings together people from many cultures with varied work experiences and different perspectives on strategic and organizational challenges. The team members come from different countries and functional backgrounds always work together to manage complex conditions and evaluate the care of patients. Moreover, the accommodation was also mind-blowing, you get private room and personal bathroom, hotel like bedding, AC, 24/7 guarded gate, 3 meals a day healthy diet plan that matches your preference with plenty of fruits and vegetables, convenient and cheap transit service, flexible schedule etc.

Overall, my 2 weeks stay there was comfortable with kind and caring attention. Everything went smooth from arrival to departure. I was almost fully immersed through interaction with the local culture and I also picked up a little of the local language. The experiences that I had have shaped myself as a person. If I am to volunteer abroad again, I would definitely come back to Projects Abroad and get a duration of a longer program.

• Projects Abroad responded to this review March 09, 2018 at 5:20 PM

We are glad you were able to enjoy your time in beautiful Phnom Penh and that you got to learn so much from your supervisors, as well as from your peers. We do actually recommend staying for as long as possible so you can learn that much more and build stronger relationships with your patients. Hope to see you again in another one of our projects soon. Thanks for sharing!

Incredible volunteer experience through projects abroad

My two weeks of volunteering in the Public Health program in Cambodia through Projects Abroad was hands-down the most amazing experience of my life. While the incredible people I met, the work I did, and the unforgettable memories all play an enormous role in my reflection of this experience, I know that the program itself is to thank for most of this. The volunteers were incredibly well taken care of, and there was never an instance where I felt that the program had been ill-prepared to handle the situation; we always had a safe place to stay, clean/safe food and water, and ample opportunities to communicate with our program leaders if we ever needed extra help or support. Leaving a small town in Alaska to travel to a developing country on a continent I had never been to before was, understandably, only marginally less than terrifying, but the constant support from the Projects Abroad staff—which starts nearly the moment you send in your application—helped alleviate my concerns and was one of the factors that helped me decide to proceed with my volunteer experience.

Besides the administrative staff, the volunteer staff whom you work side-by-side with were also a key factor in the experience: as a public health volunteer, I spent all day, every day working with 2-3 staff who acted as the medical experts and translators during our interactions with patients, and all of them were fun-loving, friendly, and enjoyable to be around, as well as supportive, helpful, and more than willing to teach us anything we wanted to know about medicine, Cambodia, or the culture. I have no reservations in entirely, whole-heartedly recommending this program to anyone wanting to volunteer abroad.

• Projects Abroad responded to this review December 01, 2017 at 4:18 PM

Dear Stacey. Thank you for sharing! We are glad you were able to enjoy your time in Cambodia so much. Our staff is always happy to help make your experience comfortable and safe, so it's great that you felt this way. Hope to see you again in another one of our projects soon!

Excellent

I really enjoyed this opportunity to work abroad. This is my second time using Projects Abroad with my first experience being a nursing internship in Nepal. This time around was a Public Health internship in the capital city of Phnom Penh. I traveled with my wife who was working with English Education and Projects Abroad was able to accommodate us with our lodging as well as transportation so that we were able to stay together during our time there. I had an excellent experience working in different districts in and around Phnom Penh, and I was able to truly experience the culture in the short time that I was there. The work mostly consisted of distributing medications to individuals as well as providing health education and giving cursory physical assessments. While I greatly enjoyed the work, we also had a great time traveling around Cambodia to such places as Koh Rong Samleoum, Siem Reap (Ankor Wat), and Sihnoukville. We were also able to tour the S-21 and the Killing Fields which are essential pieces to an an important time in the development of the country. I highly recommend traveling with Projects Abroad for a safe and inclusive experience as well as traveling to Cambodia both to discover more about the past and yourself!

• Projects Abroad responded to this review November 07, 2017 at 1:41 PM

Dear Tyler. Thank you for choosing to volunteer abroad with us again! Sounds like you and your wife han an amazing time in Phnom Penh combining your volunteer work with travelling. It's such a beautiful country, isn't it? Hope to see you again in another one of our projects soon!

Public Health- great experience, highly recommend

I would highly recommend volunteering with Projects Abroad. The in-country staff was amazing. They were incredibly helpful. This program is slightly more expensive than other programs but it is worth it. I did the public health project. We worked in the poor communities around Phnom Penh, along with several other communities around Cambodia. I mostly lived in the apartment in Phnom Penh which was very clean with excellent food. It was very fun living with all the other volunteers. I also stayed with a host family for a week which was a great experience, seeing how the Khmer people live by actually living with them. For another week I stayed with the conservation group on King Island. That was a different experience and gave a good all around view of the country. At times the scheduling could be a little disorganized but it worked out in the end. The program managers that we worked with in public health really helped us get hands on experience and teach us about medicine. You have to really invest in the program and you will get out what you put in.

• Projects Abroad responded to this review October 18, 2016 at 11:58 AM

Hi Katie! It's great that you got to combine 2 different kinds of programs in Cambodia and experience living with a host family and learning about medicine with the incredible nature and environment of Cambodia. Scheduling can indeed be a bit tricky with many volunteers arounds, but thank you for your patience and your feedback!

The International Volunteer Programs Association