Medicine in Argentina with Projects Abroad

Medicine in Argentina with Projects Abroad

Two Weeks in Argentina

Volunteering in Cordoba, Argentina through Projects Abroad was an amazing experience! I specifically chose to go to Argentina because I had prior interest in Spanish and South American culture. Growing up as a huge football fan, I idolized Messi and was immediately drawn to Argentina when I found that they had the placement I wanted. My project was a two week high school special for medicine and spanish. By being in a high school special, my parents were reassured that I would be safe at all times, and I was also relieved that I would be with others since I came to Argentina knowing very little Spanish. Projects Abroad staff was amazing, and all of my questions before and during my trip were answered promptly.
I was picked up at the hospital and taken to my host family. Even with my minimal spanish knowledge, I was comfortable and became friends with my fellow volunteers. The doctors I shadowed were kind, and I learned a lot during my time there. Also, we did many outside activities such as salsa dancing and shopping at the flea market that made me connect to local Argentinian culture. I found my trip to be meaningful and still one of the greatest things I’ve done.
Volunteering abroad teaches you the differences between American culture and other cultures. Even in hospitals, I can now appreciate the advances the United States has compared to developing countries, and I will take this knowledge with me as I continue into college and further studies. Everyone that entered with an open mind succeeded in Argentina. Overall, I would definitely recommend volunteering through Projects Abroad. While it was expensive, I felt that the experience was meaningful and worth the money. Time really flew by but I loved every day I spent there.

• Projects Abroad responded to this review October 16, 2017 at 12:33 PM

Hi Suma. Thanks for sharing! High School Specials are indeed a great opportunity to immerse yourself in the local culture, while also helping the community and learning through your volunteer project. It's important to choose a country that you are interested in getting to know, and it sounds like Argentina was the perfect choice for you! We are glad you were able to join us, thank you for trusting us!

Medicine in Argentina

The hosting families were very warm and welcoming. The staff at Projects Abroad was kind and helpful and treated all of us as if we were their younger brothers/sisters. We were given home cooked meals 3 times a day and were allowed to purchase our own snacks. The living accommodations were clean and comfortable. The amount of work was good; not too tiring and just enough to keep us interested and busy. The Spanish Lessons helped to make us more comfortable when communicating. Hospital staff were all respectful. Weekend trips were amazing (zip lining in mountains, touring the city, other tourist attractions, etc.). My housemates instantly became my family and I still talk to them to this day. Overall a phenomenal experience. Would recommend.

• Projects Abroad responded to this review June 24, 2016 at 3:00 PM

Dear Smozaffar

We are delighted to hear you had such a wonderful experience volunteering abroad with us! Your help in Argentina was highly appreciated by the patients you helped. It's always a pleasure to receive enthusiastic volunteers such as yourself. Hope you can join us again in another one of our projects!

Amazing experience with P.A.!

It was only a few weeks before my fall semester that I decided to take the plunge and travel to Argentina in place of my Fall 2016 semester. I was feeling burned out from my college experience and wanted to do something enriching, rewarding, and unforgettable. Luckily for me, ProjectsAbroad was all the above and exceeded every expectation I have. As a premedical student, I initially chose the 10 week Medical program, but after only being in Cordoba for two weeks, I extended my time by another two weeks and took on additional work as a human rights volunteer.

While with ProjectsAbroad, I traveled with other volunteers to other cities in Argentina like Salta, San Marcos, Buenos Aires, Iguazu, and even Santiago, Chile! There are so many amazing memories to choose from, it’s difficult to pick a favorite, but if I had to, I’d pick Iguazu. The bus ride was 22-hours, and armed with snacks, portable chargers, and earplugs, five other volunteers and I made the trip to see the falls. The falls were incredible and for the first time in a long time, I was absolutely awestruck. They were amazing! We even took a boat ride that brought us close enough to the falls to get sprayed, which felt great because it was starting to get hot. While we were there we saw monkeys, toucans, and little animals called coatis.

There is nothing I would have changed about my experience, except for maybe staying longer! My host mom was amazing, and the ProjectsAbroad staff was incredible as well! They gave me all of their information, and were always happy to help! I really loved how accessible the staff was, and getting to the office was a breeze as well. They really understand the needs of volunteers and really do everything they can to make sure you’re settled and taken care of if you need anything. One thing I really appreciated was how a staff member would teach you how to get to the office, to your job placement, and back. It’s remarkable how, thanks to their support, I never felt alone in a city of over a million people. As I look back, I think it’s incredible how the memories I made over 3 and a half months will last me a lifetime.

Medicine and Spanish High School Special

In the summer of 2015 I went to Argentina to volunteer. I had no idea what to expect and I was blown away by the quality of my experience. The activity ranged from watching check-ups and surgery to zip-lining to dissecting a human body! I had a wonderful homestay mother, Dora, who was very kind and always had a nice hot meals ready for us. The experience of going with a group of high school students is an excellent advantage to Project's Abroad's programming. Another great benefit to the program was the constant help and 24h supervision from the staff. You felt completely safe all the time. The only thing I would have done differently is waited until I was a year older just because my lack of previous knowledge on anatomy prevented me from fully enjoying the program.

Medicine Review

During my time at Projects abroad, I had the opportunity to both participate in the medical project, and partially the human rights project. This was not my first time going abroad, however if it had been, I would have found the support staff of projects abroad to be more than sufficient. One of the nicest things to have when traveling is someone to meet and guide you from the airport. Projects abroad staff was there from the beginning at the airport and helped to get me comfortable with the city of Cordoba. While I interacted with my mentor during the medical project every day, it was rare to actually coordinate something during my six weeks with the medical staff at projects abroad. This was probably due to being the only medical volunteer for around 4 weeks. My normal day consisted of waking up around 7 and being by the bus stop around 730. Arriving at the hospital around 830, I would then observe 2-3 operations, and ask questions whenever I liked. Afterwards I would go home where my family would have lunch ready for me. During the night, I would then be free to do as I like. Often that would be going on to participate in the human rights project, where we would interact with homeless populations. This was often one of my favorite times because it meant I was able to interact with the local population in a new way. The projects abroad staff with the human rights project were extremely active with the activities. This actually was one of my favorite parts of my time in Argentina. Other volunteers were interesting to interact with as they brought many other perspectives, cultures, and languages to the table. The time spent with them felt much like the time on my exchange. The culture of argentina was also interesting to interact with as an American, and I learned a lot about how to be more relaxed with my time. It was also an adaptation to become accustomed the food or Argentina, which is very different to that in the US. Overall, it was a great experience, and I learned a lot about my future career, and own culture during my time with Projects abroad.

• Projects Abroad responded to this review August 28, 2017 at 4:11 PM

Hi Willy
    It sounds like you truly made the most out of your volunteer experience in Argentina, and you put every minute to good use. That's wonderful! Indeed, there is much to learn when travelling abroad, both about the local culture and one's own. Thanks for sharing!

The International Volunteer Programs Association