Volunteering Abroad in the Philippines with Projects Abroad

Volunteering Abroad in the Philippines with Projects Abroad

Occupational therapy Philippines with Projects Abroad

I spent 3 weeks in Philippines with Projects Abroad as an Occupational Therapist volunteer. The program was based in a small rural/coastal town in northern Cebu, called San Remigio and I volunteered at a rehabilitation centre, providing therapy to people with disabilities such as Cerebral Palsy and stroke. This was an incredibly rewarding experience that allowed me to learn new skills, in addition to experiencing a new culture and meeting many wonderful new people.

From the day I applied for the program, I felt very supported by the Projects Abroad team who provided me with all the information I needed and were happy to answer any enquiries I had. They provided me with a web page so that I could easily access any information regarding visas, flights, my host family, accommodation, funding and packing lists. And when I arrived in Philippines I was kindly greeted by one of the staff, who instantly made me feel safe and welcomed. I also had a volunteer supervisor throughout my time in Philippines who went above and beyond to make sure that everyday I was safe, had everything I needed and that I was enjoying myself.

I also had a wonderful host family who were incredibly hospitable and welcomed me into their home as if I was one of their own. I had my own room (which is a luxury in the Philippines) with a comfy bed, a fan, and a wardrobe to keep my belongings. I was cooked 3 meals a day by either my host mum or my host family had a small restaurant next door where I generally ate lunch. On weekends, I spent my weekends with my host family and enjoyed seeing some beautiful waterfalls, a cultural festival and picturesque beaches.

It was truly an experience that I'll never forget and I highly recommend Projects Abroad to anybody who is looking to make a small difference to the world.

• Projects Abroad responded to this review March 10, 2017 at 11:17 AM

Hi Emily. Sounds like you had a wonderful time volunteering in the Philippines! That's so great to hear! Our host families are delighted to receive international volunteers such as yourself and welcome you to their homes so you can get truly immersed in the local culture. Thank you very much for your contribution!

The International Volunteer Programs Association