Volunteer Medicine and Healthcare in Jamaica with Projects Abroad

Volunteer Medicine and Healthcare in Jamaica with Projects Abroad

Volunteering with the Projects Abroad medical program

I volunteered with Projects Abroad for three weeks during December 2016. I am a full time college student at Tabor College in Hillsboro, Kansas, majoring in biology (pre-medicine) and minoring in psychology and chemistry. I decided to complete my required internship for graduation during my Christmas break. I was browsing the internet for internship opportunities and decided to further investigate Projects Abroad. I decided on the medical program in Jamaica. As soon as my application was processed, the Projects Abroad staff made me feel welcomed and valued. I had my own personalized web page that outlined tasks that needed to be done before my departure as well as helpful informational links. Local staff picked me up at the airport upon my arrival and took me to my host family. My host family was amazing and provided everything I needed and more! Food, clean water, internet, a spacious room and private bathroom, and a washing machine for laundry. My first Monday morning, an office staff member, who was also my project advisor, came to my host family house and gave me a tour of the town, my placement, and the staff office. I had flexible work hours and rotated between the curative, maternal and child health, and family planning units. I was able to help record heights, weights, blood pressures, blood sugars, patient interviews, and six week postpartum checkups including vaccinations. The weekends were all free leisure time and the resources to travel were easy to plan/book. Traveling abroad teaches you patience, resilience, confidence and problem solving. You appreciate what you have and it’s very rewarding to help those less fortunate. We may have a lot to give but they also have a lot to teach us in return. Overall, I would highly recommend Projects Abroad for volunteering/interning internationally as I had positive experiences with the Jamaican people, Projects Abroad staff, and other volunteers!

• Projects Abroad responded to this review March 10, 2017 at 11:14 AM

Hi Sydney!
    Thanks for sharing your experience and those beautiful pictures! Our local staff is always happy to help volunteers such as yourself settle in their new environment and make the most out of their time abroad! Indeed, international experiences such as this one are all about cultural exchange, so it's great to hear you were able to learn so much from the people you helped.

Volunteering with Projects Abroad--Medical Project in Jamaica was the highlight of my summer

The summer after graduating from college, I volunteered for three weeks with Projects Abroad--Medical Project in Jamaica. My overall experience in one word was, incredible. I learned so much from working with the medical staff at the rural medical clinic I was stationed at, not only about the Jamaican healthcare system, but about medical practices in general, as well. My only regret is that I could not stay longer! I definitely recommend staying for a minimum of four weeks, that way you can really get accumulated with your placement. By the middle to end of my time there, I was able to do much more "hands-on" work with the patients, mainly because I knew the system and daily routine, and the medical staff was confident in my skill-set range (I should note that some medical placements have more hands-on opportunities than others). My experiences with my host family, the Projects Abroad staff (both the pre-trip planning and in-country employees), the other volunteers, and the Jamaican people were all 10/10! I hope to go back some day.

The International Volunteer Programs Association