Shark Conservation in Fiji with Projects Abroad

Shark Conservation in Fiji with Projects Abroad

Shark conservation- Fiji

I loved volunteering in Fiji through projects abroad.
The support staff were excellent in answering all of my questions very quickly via email before I left for my trip. Once applying and being accepted I got a personal trip adviser who was very informative and helpful. He walked me through each step of the way until I got off the plane in Fiji.
Once landed I was escorted to the bus by a projects abroad staff member who was wearing a projects abroad T-Shirt so they were easily recognizable. Projects abroad paid for my bus ticket and told me exactly where to get off. This project is very popular so there are volunteers constantly coming and going to the airport so the bus driver knows the staff well and knows where the volunteers need to get off and he makes sure you get off where you need to.
From the bus stop at Arts Village, Pacific Harbor I was picked up by one of the staff members that works at the project and the ride was just a few minutes to the volunteer apartments.
The apartments were new, modern and clean. I was greeted by the cleaning staff and the chef. Yes, we had our own personal chef who has a list of everyone's names and food allergies and dietary restrictions. They are very accommodating to everyone's needs.
From there I was given an orientation and shown around the local area to the different shops, supermarket, doctors office, etc. The volunteer apartment is just a short walk from anything you might need. Also just a 5 minute walk to the beach!
Projects abroad really took care of me out there. They answered all of my questions and I really felt like I was in good hands.
I was there for shark conservation and the dive instructors were excellent and very knowledgeable on all accounts. I would definitely go again and recommend this project to anyone who wants to make a difference in marine conservation.

• Projects Abroad responded to this review September 25, 2017 at 4:42 PM

Dear Allyson: Thank you for sharing! We know it can be daunting to be so far away from home, which is why our staff is always ready to help volunteers get ready for their trips, and get settled once they arrive. Indeed, this is a very popular project, so part of the fun is getting to know all of your fellow volunteers from around the world and hang out at the beach with them. The breathtaking scenery is not bad either!

Best time of my life!

Becoming a volunteer at this program was one of the best decisions I've ever made. This is a real conservation project making a real impact! It leaves you feeling so fulfilled as you feel like you've really contributed.
The staff go above and beyond to help you wherever they can and make you feel safe and organised before you arrive. Because there are so many volunteers coming and going, everyone is so welcoming when you get there and I have made real friends for life.
If you love diving, being on the boat, learning and getting immersed in local cultures then you will love this project! Everyone is there to help save the ocean as much as they can, its awesome!

Cannot recommend highly enough and can't wait to go back!

• Projects Abroad responded to this review August 18, 2017 at 12:55 PM

Dear Alex. You look so happy in your picture! Thank you for sharing! Our Shark Conservation project in Fiji is a program with a very specific purpose, and it sounds like it was the perfect choice for you! Love for the ocean, sharks, and different cultures are some of the qualities we look for in volunteers joining this project. We hope you really do make it back soon!

Incredible experience

Diving into this project was one of the best decisions that I have made. When I arrived, I was greeted by the older volunteers who instantly became my close friends. The overall atmosphere of the shark conservation project was welcoming so I had no problem immersing myself into the project. The staff members were very insightful, supportive, and driven which permitted all volunteers with a sense of curiosity and willingness to learn more. In addition, the staff truly pushed the volunteers to integrate into the local communities and learn and participate within the culture. They made the volunteers feel safe 100% throughout the project. During the shark dives, the Beqa Adventure Divers (BAD) staff made the shark dive feel immensely comfortable and safe by being right there, standing right over each and everyone. This is an opportunity that one should not miss out on so I highly recommend for potential volunteers to step outside of their comfort zone and just do it!

Experience of a Lifetime

This was the experience of a lifetime. I came in not expecting anything and left with incredible memories that I will never forget. Diving with the bull sharks was amazing and the diving team, Beqa Adventure Divers, knew exactly what they were doing. You always felt safe and each staff member truly cared about you. The people of Fiji were so kind and friendly. The staff members at Projects Abroad were very knowledgeable and helpful when it came to everyday work. They truly cared for every volunteer and were passionate about the project which made you love it that much more. The cook, Uni, was incredible and would be sure to meet everyones dietary needs whether they be vegan or vegetarian. All of the staff members were amazing and I have built relationships with them and the volunteers that will last a life time. They make sure to immerse you well into the Fijian culture which is a very important part in volunteering abroad. This project is highly respected by the locals because of this. You have the weekends to enjoy your free time exploring different parts of the island. I will never forget the people and memories made in Fiji during this trip.

Trip of a Lifetime

My experience with Projects Abroad in Fiji was fantastic. It won't be my last trip with them that's for sure. I thought the project was organized and run very well. It was my first trip outside of the U.S. so I was a bit nervous but the staff was friendly and the other volunteers were welcoming. The accommodation was clean and sufficient. The staff was very knowledgeable. Every day they would post the schedule for the next day so I was never confuse about what I was supposed to be doing for the day. There was also a bookshelf full of study aids and information packets that explained how to do each job. All the dives we did, both survey dives and shark dives, were amazing. Fiji is truly a beautiful place, and the people there are so friendly. Our visits to the villages were unforgettable. The opportunity to eat traditional Fijian food and talk to the villagers was invaluable. The other experiences outside of the project were so much fun as well; swimming with Manta Rays, snorkeling, river rafting, etc. I learned so much from this experience, and I can't wait to do it again!

Shark Conservation, fiji,

Let me start of by saying this was the best experience i’ve ever had.
I went to Fiji for the shark conservation program for 3 weeks. The cost included a full staff introduction and lunch when you first arrive, pick up and drop off from the airport, accommodation and an abundance of food. The staff planned our everyday activities very well and was with us at all times and was there if we had any problems. The dive shop we went through were some of the best around. The equipment was sound and the place wasn't sketchy at all. Over all I cant think of one bad thing about this trip other then it was a bit cold. The activities you get to do during the trip are amazing and the friends you make, make the money you spend so worth it.

An experience like no other- Fiji Shark Conservation

The Projects Abroad Fiji Shark Conservation Program was like nothing I had ever experienced before. The staff were intelligent, knowledgeable in the field, and supportive throughout every part of the program. I had an advisor to talk with before I left for the trip to make sure I was prepared for my travels and staff members greeting me right when I arrived to make sure I felt at home.

The other volunteers quickly became my close friends, and I loved working with every one of them. We all got along well and they were all as friendly and as passionate as I was about saving our world's sharks. The project really does make a difference not only in protecting the sharks but in supporting the local community as well and that was evident each day when we went to work. I felt that my work was really going to make a difference in the world.

I absolutely loved my Projects Abroad experience and would recommend this project to anyone passionate about ocean conservation and marine life. The Projects Abroad team and other volunteers helped make my experience the experience of a lifetime.

The International Volunteer Programs Association