Human Rights Internship in Tanzania with Projects Abroad

Human Rights Internship in Tanzania with Projects Abroad

Immersed in another culture : Volunteering in Tanzania with Projects Abroad

Volunteering with Projects Abroad was a life-changing experience. I was nervous going to a place so different from anywhere I had ever been before, without my family or anyone I knew, for three months, but the support from Projects Abroad made it seem possible. From the get-go, the Projects Abroad team answered all my questions at their office in Toronto, and by e-mail. They sent me all the information I needed to know, and then some, so that I felt prepared for my trip to Tanzania. In country, they picked me up from the hotel I was staying at with my family (I went on a safari trip for two weeks before starting my internship) and took me to meet my host family. They gave me a thorough orientation of the city and how to get around and made sure I knew exactly how to get to my placement using the dala-dala bus system. My internship at Inherit Your Rights, a local non-governmental organization that works with local widow groups in the surrounding villages regarding human rights issues, particularly inheritance and property law, was an incredible learning experience. I was able to meet and work with the local people, as well as with other volunteers from all over the world. My host family was also so welcoming and made me feel like family. I was continually pushed outside of my comfort zone, but through it all, Projects Abroad was there to support me and make sure it was a positive experience, one that expanded my view of the world and taught me more about myself and the world I live in. Hands down – I would recommend Projects Abroad for anyone looking to volunteer abroad for the first time!

The International Volunteer Programs Association