Himalayan Mountain Conservation in Nepal - Projects Abroad

Himalayan Mountain Conservation in Nepal - Projects Abroad

Conservation in the Himalayas

My experience during the Himalayan Mountain Conservation Project in Nepal with Projects Abroad was absolutely incredible and I would do it again in a heartbeat. Ghandruk is a beautiful village with a breathtaking view of the Himalayas and it's worth the trip just to see the mountains! The people in Ghandruk and in Nepal as a whole are the nicest people that I have ever encountered.

The trip was very organized and all of the Projects Abroad staff members were helpful, full of knowledge, and always available if I had any questions. The actual conservation work in Ghandruk taught me quite a lot about the plants and wildlife in that area of the Himalayas. I was able to see certain animals and plants that I have never seen before, such as a snow leopard on the camera trap (which is very rare). There are many stairs that make up the village so you will get a great workout and be in fantastic shape by the time your project is over. You will also meet other volunteers and form friendships with people from all around the world. I would recommend this project for anyone that loves nature and is looking for a bit of an adventure. I promise that it is an amazing and life changing experience from beginning to end.

• Projects Abroad responded to this review August 11, 2017 at 4:55 PM

Sounds like you had an amazing time in Nepal, Jennie! How cool is it that you were able to see a snow leopard? We agree, the views in our Himalayan Mountain Conservation project are absolutely breathtaking! Thanks for sharing!

Life and Volunteering in the Beautiful Annapurna Region of Nepal

The two months I spent at the Himalayan Conservation Program in Ghandruk, Nepal were easily the best and most memorable two months of my entire life. The peaceful village of Ghandruk is breathtaking and brimming with culture and beauty at every turn. We spent most of our days trekking to bird, butterfly and primate watching sites and got to know the area and neighboring villages quite well. It is a very special feeling to be recognized and greeted with smiles by locals so far from home. Many of the volunteers, like myself, had no prior experience working in conservation but thanks to the instruction of the project manager and the reptile and bird experts. Every day is a new learning opportunity at the project.
The other volunteers are really what makes this such a great experience. With out all the distractions of Western culture, we truly got the opportunity to get to know people. Most nights are spent drinking tea, telling stories and playing card with each other. It truly becomes a family. Nepal is rich in culture and there is never a scarcity of weekend activities. From visiting temples and holy sites within the village to weekend tripping down to Pokhara, we were never bored. I can't say enough positive things about my experience with Projects Abroad and my time in Nepal.

The International Volunteer Programs Association