Himalayan Mountain Conservation in Nepal - Projects Abroad

Himalayan Mountain Conservation in Nepal - Projects Abroad

Adventures in Nepal!

This past January, I traveled with Projects Abroad to assist conservation work in the Annapurna Conservation Area. I wish I had stayed for longer! I couldn't get enough of our daily hikes, or the masala tea at the German bakery, for that matter. By far, my favorite part of my time on the expedition was our day hike to the rhododendron forest. Imagine stepping into a fairy-land from Lord of The Rings; that's what this beautiful forest felt like. While it got quite cold at night, and the hot water was known to be fickle, it was easy to forget the chills while looking over the beautiful Annapurna mountain range. The staff was also amazing--from start to end, there was always someone there to questions or relieve anxieties. Further, as a transgender person, I was a bit apprehensive concerning how I would be treated in rural Nepal. I did not encounter any problems--my host family, the Projects Abroad staff, and the other volunteers were incredibly accepting and supportive. I cannot recommend this trip highly enough!

• Projects Abroad responded to this review April 12, 2018 at 6:25 PM

Dear Augie. It sounds like you had the time of a lifetime in Nepal! It truly is breathtakingly beautiful, isn't it? We are glad you were able to experience it for yourself.
    As a community, we are very accepting and welcoming and we celebrate each other's differences so we accept volunteers from all walks of life. The Nepali people sure feel that way as well so I am sure they were happy to have you around! Thanks for sharing!

Adventure and friendship in Nepal!

My time in Nepal was life-changing, and not just because I was in one of the most naturally gorgeous and culturally rich countries in the world (although that, of course, was part of it!). A big part of why my trip was so rewarding was due to the people who made it possible. Projects Abroad staff made sure that every aspect of my journey to and time in Nepal was perfect, even beyond my project. Even before I left I was in contact with PA staff who walked me through my pre-departure preparations, with any answers I needed being just a phone call or email away. This staff accessibility continued throughout my journey, with my volunteer coordinator and other staff at my placement actually becoming good friends. Even after my placement ended, PA staff was there for me whenever I needed it-they even helped me to organize my solo travel (a trip to Chitwan and time in Kathmandu) so that I didn't have to worry about a thing! The community was also fantastic; I made friends on my trip who I will keep in contact with for the rest of my life, and loved getting to know both my fellow volunteers and the locals who call Ghandruk home. I also greatly enjoyed my day-to-day; I felt truly fulfilled by the work I was doing and further had a lot of fun doing it. I can't wait to travel with Projects Abroad again!

• Projects Abroad responded to this review March 02, 2018 at 5:54 PM

Hi Jessica. We know how important our role is in you having a wonderful volunteer experience, which is why our hard-working staff are always available to help make your adjustment easy and your stay fun and safe. It's great to hear you had such an amazing time in beautiful Nepal. Thanks for sharing!

Life and Volunteering in the Beautiful Annapurna Region of Nepal

The two months I spent at the Himalayan Conservation Program in Ghandruk, Nepal were easily the best and most memorable two months of my entire life. The peaceful village of Ghandruk is breathtaking and brimming with culture and beauty at every turn. We spent most of our days trekking to bird, butterfly and primate watching sites and got to know the area and neighboring villages quite well. It is a very special feeling to be recognized and greeted with smiles by locals so far from home. Many of the volunteers, like myself, had no prior experience working in conservation but thanks to the instruction of the project manager and the reptile and bird experts. Every day is a new learning opportunity at the project.
The other volunteers are really what makes this such a great experience. With out all the distractions of Western culture, we truly got the opportunity to get to know people. Most nights are spent drinking tea, telling stories and playing card with each other. It truly becomes a family. Nepal is rich in culture and there is never a scarcity of weekend activities. From visiting temples and holy sites within the village to weekend tripping down to Pokhara, we were never bored. I can't say enough positive things about my experience with Projects Abroad and my time in Nepal.

The International Volunteer Programs Association