Care Work in Kenya with Projects Abroad

Care Work in Kenya with Projects Abroad

Teaching in Kenya- once in a lifetime experience

My experience in Kenya is one I will certainly never forget. From the outstanding staff, to making friends from all over the world; seeing elephants and giraffes, to helping improve the living conditions for less fortunate people, this experience opened my eyes to a whole new world. During my four weeks in Kenya, I stayed at a beautiful home with a welcoming family. The kids in the house kept me on my toes, and the adults provided authentic Kenyan meals.

When I wasn't at home, I was spending an average of 6 hours a day at a school called The Fountains. There, I was working alongside a teacher to help 2-4 year olds learn English. This, being my first real experience as a teacher, helped me to build up my confidence being in front of a class. I learned how different schools work in Africa, and was able to give suggestions based on what I have learned in college as an Education major.

To be honest, I was quite nervous going into this experience. I have never really left the country before, so this was a big step for me. My mother was even more worried, but those nerves got put to rest when I told her how outstanding the staff was. There are four main coordinators in Nanyuki, Kenya, and they all exceeded my expectations. This experience wouldn't have been nearly as great without their hard work, dedication, kindness, and perseverance. They were constantly catering to our needs, and making sure we had the best experience possible. They organized medical outreaches, a day to teach a kindergarden in the slums how to properly wash their hands and brush their teeth, a soccer day with an orphanage, a renovation day, and much more. We even ended up getting so close that all of the volunteers and volunteer coordinators went to dinner before we all had to leave. Overall, I would highly reccommend this experience, and push for you to choose Kenya as your destination!

• Projects Abroad responded to this review September 27, 2017 at 11:29 AM

Hi Erin. Those pictures are just lovely! Thanks for sharing! We know leaving the country for the first time is challenging, which is why our local staff really foes out of their way to make volunteers feel comfortable and supported at all times. We are happy to hear you had such a wonderful experience in Kenya, both in and outside of your project. Hope to see you come back to Nanyuki soon!

Four life-changing weeks in Kenya

For years I had been eyeing up the Projects Abroad website, in hopes of gaining the courage to take part in one of their projects. In the summer of 2016 I finally made the decision to participate in a Kenya Care Project for four weeks, and I can confidently say it was the best decision of my life. When I first arrived at the airport in Nairobi I was greeted by two staff members who took me to a pleasant, nearby hotel for the evening. The next morning we departed for Nanyuki, a small market town about 3 hours north where I'd be staying and working.
The first place I was taken to when I arrived in town was to meet my host family. Since I had never stayed with a host family before, I was certainly nervous. However, the nerves subsides almost immediately. My host family was so loving, welcoming, fun, and just all around amazing people. I was provided with great living accommodations and plenty of food the entire duration of my trip.
I was required to volunteer at my placement during the five weekdays, and would on occasion (usually once a week) get to partake in a special outreach program at a different site. My placement was a home for children with disabilities ranging from 5-16 years old. The children resided, attended school, and received rehabilitation at the facility. I was able to help in the classroom with tutoring and teaching English, and also helped in Occupational therapy with activities and mobility. The staff was incredibly friendly and welcoming, and I could tell they appreciated any assistance I was able to give them.
While in Kenya I had plenty of free time to explore, socialize, and relax. In the evenings, myself and other volunteers would do an array of things such as hang out in the Projects Abroad office in town, relax at a coffee shop, or go shopping. On the weekends we would often times go on excursions outside of town. I went on a day-long safari, visited a nearby animal orphanage, and traveled back down to Nairobi to shop in the markets. Other volunteers also hiked at Mount Kenya, or even flew to Mombasa for a few days. The possibilities are endless when staying in Nanyuki, and everyone can find some sort of adventure that peeks their interest.
All in all, I cannot imagine my life having not gone to Kenya through Projects Abroad. The people I met, the places I saw, and some of the challenges I faced while there have changed me for the better. I highly recommend taking advantage of any opportunity you have to travel through this organization; I know I would do it again in a heartbeat.

• Projects Abroad responded to this review December 19, 2016 at 11:14 AM

Hi Casie! We are delighted that you finally decided to join us! Travelling abroad to volunteer in a foreign country can be a bit scary, but we agree that it is a wonderful experience and definitely worth having! Combining the volunteer work with exploring the country you are visiting and getting to know its culture is what truly makes the experience complete. We are glad you were able to do it and take full advantage of this opportunity! Hope you can join us again soon!

The International Volunteer Programs Association