Teach English in Italy
InterExchange participants InterExchange participants

Teach English in Italy

• Support Services

The experience of a lifetime

I am absolutely loving my time in the Le Marche region! I am currently in the middle of my placement (March 2018) and I couldn't be happier with the program or the opportunities. First of all, the family I am with is wonderful and fully accommodating. They always go the extra mile to make me feel welcome and included in their day-to-day activities, and they are very willing to try and communicate even through the language barrier. Their friends and extended family are aways kind and encouraging as well. I have built a great relationship with both the parents and the children through tutoring, family dinners, and group trips around the country.
Secondly, working at the school has been a wholly unique and fulfilling experience. I teaching English in the United States, so I was excited at the challenge of teaching children in a different language, and even though I don't speak any Italian I have been able to foster great connections with students and teachers alike. I expressed my willingness to take on larger groups of kids during in-class work time, and the teachers I am paired with have allowed me to develop my own lesson activities. It has been a rewarding challenge and has opened my eyes to how I can better assist my EL students back in the States.
Finally, I have also had the chance to do a bit of traveling while I am here. Italy is a truly beautifully and entirely unique country, and I am grateful for the chance to see some of the places I have always dreamed of visiting.
InterExchange has provided me with one of the most remarkable and unforgettable experiences of my life. Italy and it's inhabitants will forever hold a special place in my heart. I highly recommend this program to anyone looking for a chance to not just tour Italy, but become immersed in it's culture and history, and to take part in all it has to offer.

• InterExchange responded to this review April 13, 2018 at 1:45 PM

So glad you've enjoyed your program Kelsie! Le Marche is a beautiful place and we hope you'll spread the word so future travelers can discover it's secrets. Congratulations on a successful experience and let us know if we can help with anything moving forward. ~InterExchange

Opportunity Of A Lifetime

It’s hard to believe my 8-week InterExchange experience here in San Lorenzo Al Mare, Italy will be coming to an end next week. Before applying to the program about six months ago, my only expectations were to learn about a new culture, teach adorable Italian children English and travel throughout Italy. I had no idea what an impact this experience would have on my life.

From the beginning, InterExchange was easy to communicate with, via phone and email. My main contact was Ashley, and she was a pleasure to work with! In the application process, I had to submit a number of documents, make a down payment and have a Skype interview (to help with my host family and school match). Whenever I had a question, Ashley quickly responded, providing detailed answers and helpful resources.

Without any teaching experience, and only speaking English, I decided to go for it and apply to be a Student Teacher Assistant in Italy. I taught in two schools, four days a week, for four hours a day, as well as tutored children outside of the school (which was not part of the program). The teachers I worked with spoke excellent English, and I was never left to teach alone in the classroom. The kids were a pleasure to be around, as they were so loving (endless hugs throughout the day) and always eager to learn new English words and grammar.

InterExchange matched me with the best family. I’m an only child, but in Italy I had two little brothers, Umberto (10) and Giuseppe (11). They treated me like their big sister, spoke great English and taught me new things on a daily basis. My host family was so welcoming and always treated me like their own. I will not only miss them, but also miss the delicious home-cooked meals!

On the weekends, I traveled by myself where I had the chance to meet people from other cultures, see jaw-dropping sights and eat delicious cuisine (especially gelato). My host mom helped me with my solo travels by navigating transportation (train/bus) beforehand, where to stay and what to do while I’m there. I not only explored Italy, but the French Riviera in France, as well. I’m definitely ready to see more of the world after this experience!

I highly recommend InterExchange program. I learned new skills through teaching and tutoring, gained more confidence traveling by myself being thousands of miles away from home, and met a family who I will truly never forget. Thank you, InterExchange, for giving me the opportunity of a lifetime.

• InterExchange responded to this review November 27, 2017 at 9:47 AM

It means a lot for us to hear how impactful this experience is for teachers, and how much fun you can have doing something like this. Thanks so much for your thoughtful review, Amanda, and we will look forward to being in touch now that you're an alumni! ~InterExchange

Wonderful!

Overall this was an amazing experience. I was able to aid a family in practicing their English and give lessons to a 12 year old Italian. Then, on top of that I got to practice my Italian whenever I interacted with friends of the family or people around. My family was welcoming and supportive and my living conditions were beyond excellent (to be honest, who gets to say they spent six weeks at a beach house?).

The area I was placed in, Le Marche, Italy, is an absolutely beautiful area. It is both on the Adriatic Sea, and has the typical picturesque farmland Italy is so well known for. Plus, an hour drive and you can visit the mountains (which are easily viewed from wherever you are, adding to the beautiful scenery.)

The only downsides were that nothing was really within walking distance. Perhaps a few restaurants or gelaterias, and of course the beach, but any shopping centers or other things were pretty far and required a car. So sometimes during the day if my family was busy and I'd finished the lesson, I could find myself bored. Though of course, when my family was available, they took me around or made plans and brought me along. I went to a number of different places and restaurants and it was a wonderful experience.

As for the lessons themselves, it was usually improvised. I didn't know what level of English my student had so I had to talk with him and try a few things and see what worked and what didn't. In all, I feel like just being there was a big help and outside of the lessons talking to him and his family in English.

I've bonded with my host family so much that I expect to cry when I leave tomorrow. Being abroad this six weeks has been amazing, and I'm sad to see it come to an end but so grateful for the experiences I've had.

• InterExchange responded to this review September 14, 2017 at 10:25 AM

Six weeks at a beach house in Italy sounds worth it to me!! Glad you loved the program. We appreciate the review! Thanks Amelia. ~James from InterExchange

• Support Services

One of the best experiences of my life

I honestly had no idea what to expect, I just knew that I wanted to teach abroad. Since, I had just graduated I knew that it was going to have to be though the Internet that I found an opportunity, and because of that, I was unsure of how well the places and the people could truly be vetted. But I knew just from my contact with Interexchange that it would be fine enough-little did I know just how fine. I could not have been placed with a better family or school, and my time there was everything I could've hoped for. My family was a very active, but down to earth family, that did their best to make me feel truly at home. While my head teacher literally took me by the hand on the first day and showed me around to all the kids who were so excited to see this new, foreign person. I stayed in a small little, untouched town called San Lorenzo al Mare, and it was fantastic. Without a doubt, I would recommend this program to anyone who thinks their interested in doing something out of their comfort zone and wanting to meet people that are impossible to forget.

• InterExchange responded to this review May 22, 2017 at 3:15 PM

Alyssa, Thank you for the excellent review! We're glad to have had you on the program and hope it's been a good step towards future teaching and/or traveling adventures! Best of luck! ~James from InterExchange

Teaching English in Italy

I had an amazing experience teaching English in Italy. First of all the company I went through, Interexchange, was amazing. They had everything organized and responded to all my questions immediately and effectively. My program manager was so supportive even when I was nervous. Their professionalism really helped everything go smoothly! Second I had a great host family! They were very welcoming and wanted me to feel as comfortable as possible. It was a perfect balance of keeping a normal routine, like me going to the gym, and being exposed to a new culture. Working in the schools was great! The students and teachers were so welcoming! I did have one rough situation with a classroom but when I told the teacher in charge she was extremely understanding and came up we a solution right away. On the review I gave the school an 8 because the schedule was confusing and I often had a lot of transition time in between my days that made my days unnecessarily long. In the overall experience even the few complaints are very insignificant. I loved being a part of the community but also being able to do fun touristy things!

Best Italian work!

This was a magical experience. I would do it again if I had the time. The staff were very supportive, and the family was amazing. The culture is rich, and there are many opportunities to travel once you have been placed.

• InterExchange responded to this review May 25, 2016 at 10:27 AM

Thanks Nathan! Glad it all worked out so well with the school and family. Hopefully you'll keep in touch with your contacts there and have the chance to revisit before too long! ~James (InterExchange)

Teaching assistant Macerata, Italy

I cannot say enough good things about my experience in Italy. I have never been pushed so far outside my comfort zone, but it had payoffs in ways I never imagined. The Marche region is so beautiful and the staff at the Convitto school will always hold a very special place in my heart. I always felt cared for, valued, and loved by the students and staff. It pushed me to become a better educator and human being. If you are looking for an opportunity to learn about diversity, experiencing a beautiful culture, and tasting the most amazing food of your life while also building relationships that will last a lifetime then this is the experience for you!

• InterExchange responded to this review May 25, 2016 at 10:25 AM

Thanks for the review Linsey! I'd have to agree with you about the beauty of the Marche region. Incredible. And I'm especially glad you were pushed out of your comfort zone in a way that has paid off so richly! ~James (InterExchange)

Marvelous Marche

Excellent placement in a beautiful part of Italy; surrounded by rolling hills and former hilltop garrisons-turned-towns. My host family was amicable, welcoming and loving, and I couldn't have asked for a better primary school. The students were relatively well behaved, wanted to learn, and the teachers tried hard to make me feel comfortable. My Italian dramatically improved (mostly because my host family spoke no English and most of my teachers neither), and I really got to experience daily life in Italy and Italian culture like never before. Not to mention Marche's proximity to amazing locations like Loreto, San Marino, Venice, and Bari. Would definitely reccommend this program to anyone with any level of teaching experience!

• InterExchange responded to this review May 25, 2016 at 12:06 PM

Thanks so much for the review and we're so glad you would recommend the program! Glad you got to travel a bit as well! ~James (InterExchange)

When in Asti....

I loved this program and everyday thank InterExchange for giving me this opportunity. I was placed in Cita de Asti, which is between Torino (45 minute train) and Milano (75 minute train). The family I was placed in was so kind and provided me everything I expected and more. Italy was so beautiful and learning the language was a nice plus because most non-tourist places are really nice to you. Also who wouldn't love living next to Alba, the city that created Nutella! This experience was nothing short of amazing. I got to explore Italy, gained experience and mad everlasting bonds. Thank gosh i threw 1 euro in the Fontana de Trevi because I surely will be returning back. Just a little advice! Get to know Italo/ Triene Italia real fast and cities like Firenze and Torino, to me, were way more exciting then Roma and Milano because I had no expectations compared to the others!!!

• InterExchange responded to this review May 25, 2016 at 12:09 PM

Thanks Jennifer! These are good tips and it's nice to know you'll be returning - don't forget (the Fontana di Trevi will remember)! ~James (InterExchange)

Teaching Abroad in Italy

I truly loved my experience as an English teacher in Italy. I chose to live in a small town and was sent to an amazing city along the sea, Civitanova Marche. Marche is known for its beautiful country side. Moreover, the people there are just as amazing as the food, culture, and everything else. My host family was amazing and became my second family. As for the school, the students were so sweet and curious to learn. The teachers there helped me out, and I even became close with one of them. Teaching wasn't a job, but an adventure that I was excited to experience. Outside of the classroom and lesson planning, I made two great local Italians, both who are my good friends. We text on an almost-daily basis and maintain the friendship that we started. I am glad that I found such a great opportunity as this. I've grown so much as an individual and I would not take back this opportunity for anything.

If you seek family and friend oriented relationships, and appreciate food, culture and language, then the teach abroad program in Italy is definitely an option for you to consider!

• InterExchange responded to this review May 25, 2016 at 12:46 PM

So awesome to hear that you made some great Italian friends that you are keeping in touch with! Civitanova Marche is the real deal - glad you loved it as much as we do! ~James (InterExchange)

Best Experience of My Life

I am extremely happy that I decided to do this program. I have been back in the states for about 6 months and still think about my experience over there all the time. It truly let me see what it's like to live in another culture and has given me life-long friendships. I thoroughly enjoyed the Marche region—a little-known, gorgeous area of Italy. I could not have asked for a better school placement. I loved my school, the students, and the teachers. The students were respectful, ready and willing to learn; the teachers, who couldn't have been more supportive and nice, became dear friends. There were tears on my last day.
The only issue I had was my location. My school was in Fermo, but I lived in Campiglione, which is a little city at the bottom of the hill. I didn't actually live where I taught, so I had to commute by bus since the school was not within walking distance. The location was also inconvenient because the nearest train station is in Porto San Giorgio, about a 15-20 minute drive from Fermo/Campiglione. I took the bus to the station when I could; however, the bus schedule to and from the station on weekends was a bit rough, so I was compelled to rely on my host family for rides when they were able.
I loved my host family. They were very kind people and tried to make my experience memorable; however, I'm not sure if they were completely ready for something like this considering personal issues they had going on at the time. This could have been better researched by InterExchange. But overall, I look back on everything with overwhelming fondness.
The country of Italy is beautiful, every inch of it, and the people are warm, generous, and full of life. Take advantage of this opportunity to see as much of it as you can! If you're seriously contemplating this program, I encourage you to just do it! You will learn so much about others, but also about yourself. You absolutely will not regret the memories you make, the intercultural and education experience you gain, the people you meet, and the places you see. This is truly the experience of a lifetime.

• InterExchange responded to this review May 26, 2016 at 3:35 PM

Thank you for this feedback Jaclyn. We're glad everything worked out and that you embraced the challenges that arose! Hope you've been able to build upon this experience in your subsequent endeavors and that you look back on the experience with lots of happy memories! ~James (InterExchange)

Best. Decision. Ever!

I had an ABSOLUTE blast! My family that I was placed with were incredible! They had 2 teenage daughters and I basically hung out with them and their friends the whole time! They were all amazing! We got along SO well! The food was amazing, the people were so kind and welcoming, I LOVED being in Civitanova! I couldn't be more grateful for the kindness and generosity of my host family! I'm hoping to raise money and visit them again next year! I HIGHLY recommend the conversation coach program and I'm so glad I took the leap of faith to go! I was able to find transportation to my church each Sunday and travel and visit Rome for my birthday! The only challenge was not really having any guidance on what to teach my girls. They had a few games online. But my girls were older and much more advanced so I wasn't sure what to teach them. Plus the previous tutors in the program knly taught younger children so they didn't have any experience teaching advanced lessons either. But luckily my family was super patient with me and I feel I helped make a difference :)

• InterExchange responded to this review May 26, 2016 at 3:32 PM

Thanks Rebekah! We're happy you feel it was the right decision and grateful for the energy you brought to the program.

I would note that we've developed some extensive tutoring resources for participants that we're happy to share with all participants. It seems you were able to provide a great experience for the host family children nonetheless, and I'm glad you had the chance to join them in Rome for your birthday!

We appreciate the review!

Conversation Coach

I had an unforgettable time during my placement in Rome. I was hosted by an extremely nice and generous family. I taught an 8 year old girl, a 9 year old boy, and an 11 year old girl for an hour each per day. I had the weekends free to travel, and oftentimes my host family invited me along with them :) It was an amazing experience!

• InterExchange responded to this review May 26, 2016 at 3:27 PM

Thanks for the energy you brought to the experience for all of the host family children! We're so glad it worked out well for you in Rome and that you had time to travel! ~James (InterExchange)

Teaching English to young children

I lived in a condo owned by my host family which was located next door to their condo. I taught a 3&4 year old girl and boy English from 3-9 nightly. And weekends I traveled. While the children were difficult to teach, it was a great experience to be surrounded by Italian culture.

• InterExchange responded to this review May 26, 2016 at 3:15 PM

Thank you for embracing the challenge of tutoring for young children and thank you for the great review! We're glad you enjoyed the experience!

• Support Services

My time as a conversation coach

I had a wonderful experience with interexchange! All the coordinators are very helpful and flexible, and really helped me out when I was having troubles. This is such a great way to see another part of the world in a way that you cannot get from mere travel. You get to live the day to day life of a family in another country, and the experience is such a rewarding one. I highly recommend this to someone who is not a professional teacher, nor are they looking for a very long term commitment.

• InterExchange responded to this review May 26, 2016 at 2:30 PM

Thank you Francesca, for your thoughts! This is indeed a good option for those seeking a less formal commitment to tutoring, and who may have experience working with young people but not teaching experience specifically. I'm glad it all worked out for you and I hope everything continues to go well! ~James (InterExchange)