Au Pair in France
InterExchange participants InterExchange participants

Au Pair in France

• Professional Development

The chance of a lifetime

My experience abroad in France is one of the most memorable and unforgettable experiences I have had so far in my life. I was an au pair for a French family for three months during the summer, which was the ideal situation for me while I was on summer break from university. I was placed in a wonderful host family who was more than happy to welcome me into their family and show me their beautiful country. Certainly, the experience was not without challenges, but this is perhaps the most rewarding aspect of it all; overcoming all of the difficulties and coming out a stronger, more understanding individual. I would do it over again a hundred times. The process leading up to my arrival in France was very well organized, and I always felt comfortable with all of my trip planning and support, thanks to InterExchange. It would not have been possible without them!

• InterExchange responded to this review April 11, 2018 at 2:49 PM

Thank you Mary So glad things went smoothly and that you were able to work through the natural challenges that can arise when traveling as an au pair. Well done, and good luck with your next adventure. :) ~James from InterExchange

Au pair the Paris suburbs

I am currently in my second year of au pairing in Paris so obviously I liked it a lot but I think it is too early to say much about au pairing this year so I will talk about last year. Interexchange was very helpful in finding me a family and helping me all of the difficult stuff about going abroad AKA the visa. Although once I was in France I mostly talked to their partners in France when I have contacted InterExchange has been very quick to respond and tried to help me as much as they can.
I lived in an apartment with the family they were very nice and made me feel very welcomed. My host mother was extremely generous, in addition to my pay she also gave me an additional 20 euros to buy myself food items even thought I could eat anything in the house. I had twin boys who were not always the easiet children but the family was still great.
Overall I found Paris to be less different from my life in upstate New York than I thought it would be, the only big difference is they speak French. I always felt very safe in the suburb my host family lived in. I was able to take French classes but I did find it a lot harder to learn French than I thought it would be because most people speak English. The best thing I did to help myself learn French in addition to my classes was to do a language exchange.
Overall, I found it much easier to make friends than I thought it would be because they are tons of au pairs in the Paris area. The agency in Paris had a meeting soon after I arrived where I met some of my friends. Occasionally the agency here in France also has social events. Although I can say au pairing is alway perfect I would definitely recommend it.

• InterExchange responded to this review October 26, 2017 at 3:36 PM

Great feedback! It's really helpful to hear about what you found easy as well as the challenges. Caring for twin boys would be a challenge for anyone and we're glad you made it work! Thanks Bridget. ~James

Au Pair - Short Term, France

It was a wonderful experience and I was able to live in the mountains and wake up every morning to see Mont Blanc. The food was awesome and I was also able to visit Paris while I was there. The family was nice and I was able to get to know the children really well. I also made good friends with the housekeeper and she took me every week to the grocery store with her. I also was able to go to a French wedding, which was fun, where I ate escargot for the first time. I also tried so many different kinds of cheese!!!!

• InterExchange responded to this review October 25, 2017 at 12:04 PM

So many awesome experiences in such a short period! Thanks for the review and glad you had a great time. :) ~James

Short term Au Pair in France

Interexchange was overall a great program to work with. They maintain contact throughout the extent of your trip and make sure you have everything you need. I would only say that I wish I was better prepared for the cultural differences between me and my host family, particularly in regards to child-rearing since most of the program materials provided are designed for au pairs going to the US to work. That being said, I found interexchange a safe and reliable means to find work abroad and would recommend it to first time au pairs.

• InterExchange responded to this review October 25, 2017 at 8:55 AM

Thank you Alison, for the review! Glad you found the program reliable and we'll be working to continue adding to our resources for Americans traveling abroad. Thanks for recommending InterExchange! ~James

Au pair - short term, France

My time in France was short, but exciting! I was able to go to a French wedding, I tried so many different types of cheeses and other food. I was able to visit Paris and visit the Alps as well. I had a good time with the children and family and will miss the children so much. I was able to improve my French and was able to add new words to my vocabulary. It was definitely a different experience, one I had never experienced before and it was totally worth it!

• InterExchange responded to this review September 05, 2017 at 8:34 AM

The Alps, a French wedding, improving your French language skills, and CHEESE!! Sounds like an awesome trip to me. Thanks for the review and best of luck in your travels! ~James (InterExchange)

Big Interexchange fan

Going through Interexchange was the best decision I could have made in regards to my au pair experience. From the very first steps of filling out applications, I felt supported and guided in a way that made moving to another country incredibly less daunting. While in France, I was in regular communication with interexchange and the french agency they are connected with, and I felt incredibly supported and protected. Furthermore, everyone I have worked with has been absolutely lovely and helped me to feel personally taken care of. I would recommend to anyone interested in any kind of abroad program to go through interexchange, if anything to have the peace of mind that they will be supported and protected by a lovely group of people while exploring unfamiliar territory and seeing the world.

• InterExchange responded to this review June 06, 2016 at 10:44 AM

Thanks for the review Maura! So glad you've felt supported and that everything is going well! Hope you continue to enjoy your travels and we look forward to being in touch! ~James (InterExchange)

A Rewarding Challenge

During my time as an au pair, I grew much in my perceptions of myself, pushing myself past my limits of patience, language comprehension, and gratitude. My time with my family really put me out of my comfort zone in a way that makes me grateful for the opportunity to grow. If you desire to experience growth while learning from a different culture, then consider becoming an au pair. It's the kind of experience you can't describe until you've actually done it! Though not everyday abroad felt like the adventure of a lifetime, I firmly believe that both the straining and rewarding times are necessary - not only do you get to see another part of the world, but you learn so much about yourself!

• InterExchange responded to this review May 25, 2016 at 10:42 AM

Thanks for your thoughtful comments Elisa. It's important to consider both the easy moments and the challenges as critical parts of the growth experience and I'm glad this is how you think of it. Safe travels! ~James (InterExchange)

Paris

Paris may be my favorite city in the world... being an au pair was an amazing way to experience French culture and live abroad without paying tens of thousands for college tuition. My host family immediately welcomed me into their family, and while times such as Christmas were difficult they have been more than accommodating and I anticipate they will always be in my life. Paris is an ideal city to live in for a year; there is always something to do, traveling abroad is easy, and the Parisian atmosphere is continuously inviting. Interexchange was always available throughout this whole process, and extremely helpful with the process of moving abroad. They matched me with a perfect host family. I have no doubt a year in Paris would be the best of your life!

• InterExchange responded to this review April 08, 2016 at 11:06 AM

Hi Alexandra, We are so happy that you had such a nice experience with your host family! And especially glad to know that you anticipate staying in touch with them. Thanks for the review and safe travels from InterExchange!