Au Pair in France - Paris Region
InterExchange participants InterExchange participants

Au Pair in France - Paris Region

Au pair the Paris suburbs

I am currently in my second year of au pairing in Paris so obviously I liked it a lot but I think it is too early to say much about au pairing this year so I will talk about last year. Interexchange was very helpful in finding me a family and helping me all of the difficult stuff about going abroad AKA the visa. Although once I was in France I mostly talked to their partners in France when I have contacted InterExchange has been very quick to respond and tried to help me as much as they can.
I lived in an apartment with the family they were very nice and made me feel very welcomed. My host mother was extremely generous, in addition to my pay she also gave me an additional 20 euros to buy myself food items even thought I could eat anything in the house. I had twin boys who were not always the easiet children but the family was still great.
Overall I found Paris to be less different from my life in upstate New York than I thought it would be, the only big difference is they speak French. I always felt very safe in the suburb my host family lived in. I was able to take French classes but I did find it a lot harder to learn French than I thought it would be because most people speak English. The best thing I did to help myself learn French in addition to my classes was to do a language exchange.
Overall, I found it much easier to make friends than I thought it would be because they are tons of au pairs in the Paris area. The agency in Paris had a meeting soon after I arrived where I met some of my friends. Occasionally the agency here in France also has social events. Although I can say au pairing is alway perfect I would definitely recommend it.

• InterExchange responded to this review October 26, 2017 at 3:36 PM

Great feedback! It's really helpful to hear about what you found easy as well as the challenges. Caring for twin boys would be a challenge for anyone and we're glad you made it work! Thanks Bridget. ~James

Paris

Paris may be my favorite city in the world... being an au pair was an amazing way to experience French culture and live abroad without paying tens of thousands for college tuition. My host family immediately welcomed me into their family, and while times such as Christmas were difficult they have been more than accommodating and I anticipate they will always be in my life. Paris is an ideal city to live in for a year; there is always something to do, traveling abroad is easy, and the Parisian atmosphere is continuously inviting. Interexchange was always available throughout this whole process, and extremely helpful with the process of moving abroad. They matched me with a perfect host family. I have no doubt a year in Paris would be the best of your life!

• InterExchange responded to this review April 08, 2016 at 11:06 AM

Hi Alexandra, We are so happy that you had such a nice experience with your host family! And especially glad to know that you anticipate staying in touch with them. Thanks for the review and safe travels from InterExchange!

Big Interexchange fan

Going through Interexchange was the best decision I could have made in regards to my au pair experience. From the very first steps of filling out applications, I felt supported and guided in a way that made moving to another country incredibly less daunting. While in France, I was in regular communication with interexchange and the french agency they are connected with, and I felt incredibly supported and protected. Furthermore, everyone I have worked with has been absolutely lovely and helped me to feel personally taken care of. I would recommend to anyone interested in any kind of abroad program to go through interexchange, if anything to have the peace of mind that they will be supported and protected by a lovely group of people while exploring unfamiliar territory and seeing the world.

• InterExchange responded to this review June 06, 2016 at 10:44 AM

Thanks for the review Maura! So glad you've felt supported and that everything is going well! Hope you continue to enjoy your travels and we look forward to being in touch! ~James (InterExchange)