Paid Teaching Contracts in Thailand with Greenheart Travel
Greenheart Travel participant Greenheart Travel participant

Paid Teaching Contracts in Thailand with Greenheart Travel

• Support Services

If You've Been Thinking About Working Abroad, DO IT!

If you (like me) have been thinking about working abroad and you have the means to do it at this time in your life DO IT! It was amazing and whenever I had doubts or questions Greenheart did their best to honestly answer my questions which always calmed my nerves and made me feel that even though I was going on the journey by myself, I was never alone.

I really felt prepared for the culture shock and to go in with no expectations. I appreciate that all of the blogs and webinars did not sugar coat anything and I never felt like I was being sold this experience. I think the program presented the opportunity and some of the things (good and challenging) that would come along with the experience and let me decide if I was right for me. If I did not have this program to answer my initial questions with quick thorough responses I think I would have been more hesitant to go.

I know everyone leaves their placement differently but I wish there were some guidelines on things that should be done before you leave. I am currently having trouble getting money out of my account because I got paid after I left.

Overall, if you're thinking about doing this Greenheart will give you the support you need and there is always someone to answer your questions to the best of their ability. They are not trying to sell you on it or make it sound anything other than what the trip honestly is!

Thailand Program Review

Thank you Greenheart for these opportunities to travel and be apart of the greater world! There are so many programs abroad, but the support from Sara was unique in that she truly felt like we could always rely on her and contact her at any time before, during and even now after the TESOL program is over. JUST DO IT, with an open mind and heart. No expectations, always go with the flow and trust the process.

Great experience in Thailand

With Greenheart I liked the quick and detailed responses. When nervous to go live and work abroad for the first time it helped give me ease that someone was there to help at all times! The main reason I was on the fence was the cost of the program. I would tell that person that every penny is worth it. It is worth it to have Greenheart Travel help with the visa, plane ticket, TESOL course, and any other question you may have about going abroad. It is new territory for most people and once the departure gets closer, the most random questions will pop up into your head but Greenheart has heard them all and has answers for them all. If they don't, they will fin them. I couldn't imagine having to go over to Asia on my own and finding a job or TESOL course and the money I spend was well worth it!

When people say keep an open mind, they mean it. You will meet all types of personalities, you will stay in various accommodations, and you will travel to places with amazing cultures but they will be very different from your own. If you have an open mind, it will be life changing and you'll be able to appreciate everyday. Otherwise, you may find the negative in situations and miss the normalcy of home. You are doing this to have new experiences, so be ready!

Honestly, everything that got me to Thailand was incredibly helpful. Everything from when I would receive certain information or materials to what items I should pack was provided to me and I couldn't be more grateful.

• Support Services

Greenheart did a great job

I received a great deal of support before I departed for Thailand. All of my questions and concerns were responded to in a timely manner and Sara was very supportive, kind, informative, and encouraging. The only thing I'd say to improve on is that I wish I knew more about Thailand's educational system. Greenheart provides above and beyond support throughout your entire experience. The in-country training was also extremely beneficial.

Ask a lot of questions and do not assume anything. Look into life abroad beyond the pictures you see on social media. Also, pack very light. You can buy clothes in the country and won't know what your school wants you to wear until you start working.

• Support Services

Once in a lifetime experience

Overall, my experience teaching abroad in Thailand through Greenheart Travel was an unforgettable one! Throughout the application process pre-departure, my TESOL course, and teaching experience, I had the support and assistance of many people from the program. All of the members of the staff were very helpful in answering any questions, providing information, and making sure everything ran as smoothly as possible. One of the most positive parts of my experience was that I had the opportunity to take the TESOL course on-site the first month with a class 30 who were also coming from the US and Canada to teach English. It was really helpful to have a good network of people around that made me more comfortable and confident before starting my teaching placement! Throughout the TESOL course, the team was very helpful in providing assistance in other areas as well including a Thai language course, a cultural foundation course, and many excursions to give us a feel of the very rich culture in Thailand. They also made it a smooth process moving from the course into our placements and made travel and apartment arrangements for us as well. After the course was completed, I was very happy with my teaching placement and town. I had so many friendly people both in my school and my town who helped make my journey so unique and unforgettable! Ultimately, I learned so much and experienced a great deal of personal growth throughout the process. I am very happy I chose to do this program through Greenheart Travel!

• Support Services

This experience will change your life for the better!

Choose Greenheart Travel. They will be with you every step of the way, from the beginning to the end. Sara is great! She is always there if you need her. I really enjoyed the orientation, and constant support I received from the Xplore Asia team (Greenheart's partner in Thailand).

• Support Services

Greenheart Travel eased my mind and made the transition to Thailand ease

I would say that I cannot speak for other programs specifically, but that my experience with Greenheart Travel has only been positive. It was also reassuring to have someone working to help with all of the required paperwork prior to moving abroad. Greenheart Travel eased my mind and made the transition to Thailand easy and stress free. I liked the availability of the Greenheart Travel staff. I mostly worked with Sara Dorsey and she was wonderful in answering all my questions.

• Support Services

The perfect company to help you get abroad and support you all the way!

I decided to use Greenheart Travel to go help me through the process of teaching abroad because the visa and placement process can be extremely complicated and I wanted to use a company that had experience. However, the company was way more helpful than just handling logistics. They were there for every step, and answered any frantic questions I sent via email within a few hours. I think I even took their program for granted a little bit, because when I arrived in Thailand with no problems, I met people who had used other companies and had run into a number of issues before arriving. Greenheart even stayed in contact with me throughout my time in Thailand to help assist with any problems. I honestly felt that they actually cared about each participant having a meaningful and memorable experience, and many other Greenheart travelers that I met had nothing but positive things to say as well. But the most beneficial aspect of going through Greenheart Travel (that I had completely not anticipated) was the extensive and really helpful network of alumni. If I was traveling anywhere in the country, needed help with a lesson plan, had a questions about the culture, or even help when returning back to the U.S, I could always reach out to the alumni network for advice and suggestions. It was like having a friend wherever I went in Thailand, and that was honestly invaluable. This company is a must of you are thinking about going abroad!

Teaching English in Thailand

I am currently living in Thailand and I am doing fantastic! It's funny but my culture shock actually happened in Hua Hin lol! So to be honest, I got through it my first two weeks in Thailand. Now that the shock has gone away I absolutely love it here and my cute little town. I got placed in Ban Phai and couldn't be happier. I truly am experiencing the real Thai culture. Most people here do not speak an ounce of English, so it has been actually kind of cool. The school I work at is a Catholic school and only goes up to age 6. I work with Anuban 2 students, so I have already fallen in love with the adorable kiddies lol! The teachers I work with are absolutely fantastic as well. Overall I can say that my experience has been going very smoothly and I am extremely comfortable here (aside from the disgusting, freaky, vile and terrifying cockroaches... I don't think I will get over how gross they are lmao)! The TESOL course did an awesome job of preparing us for teaching here. I truly recommend it to anyone considering teaching English in Thailand. The course really puts an emphasis on how disorganized the Thai school system can be and I think that really gave us some good insight on what to expect. Therefore, when unexpected things do/have occur you are not as surprised. You kind of just learn to go with it. Thank you Greenheart for everything! :)

-Chayla

Go with Greenheart!

I can’t say enough good things about this program! From the beginning stages of the application process to the week before I arrived in Thailand, Greenheart Travel was there to help me with anything I needed. They made the daunting task of moving halfway across the world so incredibly easy. Greenheart truly cares about all of their participants and they go above and beyond to make sure they provide exceptional service to everyone. If you’re thinking of teaching abroad, then definitely go with Greenheart!!!

I’m almost done with the first semester at my school and I can’t believe how fast the time has gone by. Thailand is even more amazing than I thought it would be. Everything you’ve heard about Thailand is true. Yes, Thai people really ARE that nice (I’ve been here almost six months and it never ceases to amaze me how nice they are). The food really is THAT good (seriously, it’s amazing). No matter where you end up living in Thailand, if you have the right mindset you will have a great experience. It’s all about being open-minded and being willing to fully immerse yourself in the local culture.

I work for a private school in the city of Korat. The students/staff at my school are definitely the best part of the job. Everyone is so friendly and welcoming. My class sizes are really small (around 17 students) so I’ve gotten to know my students very well. Teaching English can be very demanding at times but when I see the improvement in my students’ skills in English it makes all of my hard work worthwhile!

All I can say is that I highly recommend this program. My only regret is that I didn’t do it sooner!! I’ve been here for almost six months now and I plan on staying much longer. This experience has already changed me in so many positive ways. I can’t wait to see what else my time in Thailand has in store for me ☺

• Support Services

Life sucks, and then you THAI!!!!!! :)

I've always wanted to travel the world, but knew I would probably never make enough money or have enough paid vacation time off from my "big girl job" of 7 years to do it for leisure. About a year ago, I started doing some research and came across GreenHeart Travel. They seemed to have way better internet reviews, and seemed to be one of the most reputable companies out there, so...I made my first step toward a way cooler life and applied. I'm going to advise you right now....APPLY.

After being accepted into the program, Sara, from Greenheart Travel, was there for me every step of the way. She made sure I had all the information I needed about applying for my visa, how to book my flight, what to expect when I got to Thailand, and anything else I had questions or concerns about. It was such a smooth and easy process. Although I only met Sara through Skype during my initial interview, I feel like we have been friends for a long time. She is GREAT and so, so helpful. One of the things I really like about GreenHeart is that, even after you have paid them the money for the program, you aren't just forgotten about.

This is not a company that is looking to collect your money. GreenHeart Travel is a company that truly believes experiencing an adventure abroad is important, not only to grow as an individual, but for those in other parts of the world to grow and learn, as well. I really believe that.
Sara keeps up with all of us through Facebook and e-mail, and is still there for us if we have any issues.

Greenheart Travel's job is to get you there smoothly with all of the information that you will need to proceed to your next step. Once you arrive in Thailand, you are then handed over to another great company called XploreAsia. This is the company that teaches the TESOL course, as well as the company that works with you to place you in your school. The XploreAsia team is who you will do all of your cultural excursions with during your first week... which are AMAZING, by the way. I chose the TESOL course in Chiang Mai and I LOVED it there. The XploreAsia staff are wonderful, down to earth people, just like those at Greenheart Travel. You might be placed 10 hours away from where you do your TESOL course with XploreAsia, but they will help you arrange all of your travel, to assure that you get to your placement location.
Once you are placed in the new town, village, or city that you will be calling home for at least the next 6 months, you will be working directly will an agent. These agents work hand in hand with XploreAsia, so they are often in contact with one another. The agent is who you will contact locally for any questions or issues about your town, your job, obtaining a work permit once you begin teaching, visa extensions, etc. fyi...(GET A WORK PERMIT)

I live in a city in the south of Thailand called Trang. It's an amazing location, because you get the city with all of the amenities you need, but are also very close to rural areas, beautiful waterfalls, and about 40 K from the coast. I am a short 2 hour taxi/ bus ride to Krabi, so I go there about once a month to relax on the beaches. I absolutely LOVE it.

The only thing I wish I would have known, is...you need a decent amount of money to get you through the first 2 months here. You will NOT start getting paid until the month after you have been working. $1500 is probably not going to be enough to last you, unless you are very, very frugal. I would take about $1500 with you in cash, but make sure you have about another $1,000 in a bank back home that you can access. You can use your ATM/debit cards at any ATM here to withdraw money. Also, try to pay off all credit card/ car loan debts before you come here. You do not want to be making payments on things when you are only making 30,000 THB per month. 30,000 THB is PLENTY to live on here in Thailand, but its not much, when converted over to USD. So...GET YOUR FINANCES SQUARED AWAY BEFORE YOU GET HERE. Student loans can be deferred or put in forbearance for the time you are here, which means you do not have to make payments. If you have a large financial safety net...aka...mom and dad, then you might not have to worry so much. If you are doing all of this on your own, like me, just make sure you have enough saved.

So anyway...If you want to travel abroad, I HIGHLY recommend going with GreenHeart Travel. I would have been completely clueless trying to do this all on my own, and it was just so simple with GreenHeart. If you want to go with an organization that really cares about its participants, go with Greenheart. This has been such an amazing life changing decision for me, and I hope you decide to do the same

• Support Services

Southern Thailand is the Bomb!

First off, I am here with my wife, Sarah. We opted for dual placement from the get-go, so we figured our placement options were going to be slim. Our main preference was to teach somewhere rural as to avoid the heavily tourist spots. We ended up being placed in Trang, which was perfect. Its far enough south of Phuket and Krabi, so there really aren't many tourists. Thai culture is definitely prevalent all throughout Trang, but you can still find a big mall and the occasional American food restaurant (usually with some Thai influence). All the teachers who live here agree it is a great spot to be. Plenty of things to do, yet not so rural where you are searching for civilization.

Our school is 45 minutes north of Trang city in a town called Huai Yot. This is where the rural comes in. There were no furnished accommodations to live in Huai Yot, so we decided to live in Trang city. This requires us to ride a motorbike to school everyday - there and back. The roads here are dangerous, because there are no traffic police, and everyone pretty much does whatever they want. Though, driving a motorbike is very nerve-racking and stressful at first, it gets better. I can drive confidently now, but I still will never be able to let my guard down and "cruise" like I can back home.

Our school is wonderful. Sarah and I are the only two foreign teachers there, so we get a lot of attention - more attention than either of us are comfortable with. Its all fun though. The teachers there are so welcoming and buy us lunch everyday. They try and speak English and want to learn as well. They also like to teach us Thai language as well. Classroom time is also exhausting. Most classes have about 40-50 students. Sometimes, they are very well behaved and into whatever you are teaching. Sometimes, they are rowdy and will not listen to a word you are saying. Everyone will have classes of both sorts. The best thing to do is make the lessons as fun as possible and focus on the students who really want to learn. They will be the ones benefiting in the end.