Intensive: 2-Week Hospital Medicine in Latin America
Child Family Health International Header Image Child Family Health International Header Image

Intensive: 2-Week Hospital Medicine in Latin America

Great experience and love the environment

The first day of arrival was exciting yet overwhelming. Arriving at 5 am, I was worried I would have no way to get to my homestay. Yet I am glad that the program coordinators had arranged a pick-up time from the airport to a hostel until later in the morning. Charly (local coordinator) picked me up and took me to my homestay where my hostess was wonderful and a source of information of the city. Getting lost in the city was intimidating but Carlos (program coordinator) and Charly make the transition easier and educated us in the culture, language, what and where to eat, our schedules, and hospital location and rotations. Truly well organized and made the transition much easier.

I was assigned to Cordoba hospital and I chose the burn unit because it uses different specialties such as dermatology, and post-op care to treat and manage a burned patient. Dr. Olmos showed me around and taught me many things she felt were important in the recovery room. I can tell that the physicians I interacted with had a personal connection with patients and spoke to them like family. Everyday, majority of patients and doctors pass by a hallway that has the words written in Spanish "No perder la humalidad" meaning "do not lose your humanity" and the words do inspire providers to do their best for their patient's best interest in managing care. Overall, it was a truly humbling experience, and yet two weeks in Cordoba was not enough and I yearned to stay longer. Knowing the Spanish language does help and being able to communicate with others is amazing. I could never speak in Spanish with anyone other than my family and speaking my mother tongue felt great. I thank CFHI commitment and mission for helping me participate in this wonderful journey.

CFHI's official facebook page can be found here:

Amazing!

It’s been one week since I got home from my amazing trip to Argentina and there has not been a single day where I haven’t talked about the incredible experience I had. I enjoyed it so much that my only regret is not staying longer than two weeks. When I arrived in Cordoba for the Hospital Medicine program, I was greeted by Carlos (one of the local coordinators for CFHI) at the airport and he took me to my homestay. I got to stay with an incredibly kind woman whose daughter and two granddaughters lived in their own apartment not far from us so I really got to bond with all four of them. The other local CFHI coordinator, Charly, taught me how to get to the hospital using the local bus system and after that I was set to make the most of my two weeks.

All of the doctors, residents, and students in the hospital were so helpful and always took the time to explain what they were doing whether it was a basic physical exam, an EKG, or stitching up a wound. I got to spend every morning in the local emergency hospital and I learned so much it was amazing. As soon as I told people that I was a student from the United States, they would ask me lots of questions about California (where I’m from) and about the medical school process in the US compared to Argentina. Everyone was really friendly so I felt very comfortable right away. I loved getting up and going to the hospital every morning because I knew that in the four hours that I was there, I was going to learn so much. I really wish I had planned to stay for at least a month because two weeks was not nearly enough! I am so grateful that CFHI put together this amazing program and I definitely plan on participating in more CFHI programs in the future!!