AIFS Study Abroad in South Africa: Semester or Year
study abroad students study abroad students

AIFS Study Abroad in South Africa: Semester or Year

A pivotal life experience

This experience living in South Africa for five months was one of the most influential moment of my life so far. It was a completely pivotal experience in terms of my career. South Africa is an extremely diverse country, with eleven national languages, and the program really provided me with opportunities to experience this. I loved the simplicity of the every day life there and how easy it was to travel to another city to meet people with a completely different language. I was able to attend a highly respected school, but also learned about the historical ties it has to Apartheid. People were so willing to talk about the political and social climate, which was extremely crucial for me as a political science major. I felt that I wasn't just visiting another country, but that I was immersing myself into a different culture. That included learning about the history, the current politics, and how to support positive change that was taking place. The opportunities I was given to learn about and experience the every day lives of South Africans were the memories that I hold closest now. My specific study abroad experience gave me direction for my life and I believe that I found my purpose in life there.

My Experience Abroad

I want to do something out of my comfort zone. I like traveling at the end of my classes, it was one of the highlights of this program.

I Love South Africa

Loved Stellenbosch and AIFS program. The program director and assistants were geniune people who wanted to share their south african culture. They were very organized and set up many excursions for us students!Not only were they there for you as leaders of the program, but as your friend. The spring break trip was amazing and they really took the time to show you the awesome places in South Africa along the garden route. I was surronded by south african neighbors, so the cultural exposure rocked!Only bummer was leaving!!!!!!

AIFS South Africa

It was very academically challenging which was great, but if you were not in the Community Development class, you had WAY more free time. It created an us vs. them atmosphere among the entire group other than that it was amazing.

I loved going with AIFS. The resident directors...

I loved going with AIFS. The resident directors were awesome. They were your friend and not just your RD. The excursions they provided were amazing. I had the best spring break of my life!! The classes directed towards international students are slightly easier because they are in English, while the mainstream classes tend to be tougher because they are taught in both English and Afrikaans. The only downsides that I had were not living directly with other South African students and the fact that I was told I would get a bike, but upon arrival didn't get one. The reason being there were too many students on the program. I would highly recommend this program because they are experienced and know how to have fun.

They're organized, and it's what you'd expect...

They're organized, and it's what you'd expect in terms of program administration. They didn't expect as many students as they got so that threw them ff a lot by the time I was there, so they didn't know what to do with us. Overall, I'd recommend it.