AIFS Study Abroad in Chile: Semester or Year
study abroad students study abroad students

AIFS Study Abroad in Chile: Semester or Year

My semester in Viña del Mar, Chile

Synonyms of amazing: awesome, marvelous, incredible, wonderful. As I'm typing this review, none of these words seem to justify my semester abroad in Viña Del Mar, Chile. From the moment I looked at the AIFS website, I felt a strong sense of care and compassion. It was more than just trying to get me to commit to their program-everyone from AIFS from my financial aid officer to my admissions officer, really cared about me and my goals. Everyone was kind, energetic and prompt, especially with questions and concerns. Before I left, AIFS provided very detailed departure information, even calling me the day before I left to answer any questions. When I arrived, I was immediately greeted by my Residence Director in Chile, who was so eager to show me around the city and introduce me to my host family. My host family genuinely represented all that is hospitality and love. I grew such a strong connection to my host family, more than I ever could of expected. My host mom cooked 3 meals a day every day, and we always ate together for dinner, really making me feel as though I was a part of their family. Even now, having been home for 5 months, I talk to my host mom on WhatsApp every day. AIFS had so much included within the price, including a weekend excursion to Púcon, a city in the south of Chile. My Residence Director, Valeria, was so knowledgeable about all of the processes in Chile, and everything I needed to do. AIFS also gave me the opportunity to meet so many Chilean students, by taking classes directly with Chilean students. The professors at the university were so knowledgeable, sharing their unique experiences of traveling and working abroad. Overall, I met my best friends from my AIFS program in Chile, who are from all over the country, but who I've seen 4 times since we've been back. AIFS gives students the tools to make long-lasting friendships, while gaining cultural competence and a deep understanding and respect for other cultures, all in a comfortable setting. I highly recommend any AIFS program, but especially Chile. Please email me w15maye@siena.edu with any questions!

Mi Vida en Chile

My experience in Chile with AIFS could not have been better. I was provided with the perfect host family who provided me with all of my meals and also made me part of their family. I already miss them. Universidad Adolfo Ibanez in Vina del Mar, Chile is also an excellent University with an amazing staff. All of my professors were very intelligent and I learned more about Latin America than I ever could have in the United States. Professor Casanueva and Salinas deserve recognition as their classes are phenomenal.I would recommend this University, program, and destination to anyone looking to have a great experience abroad. The Spanish is difficult within Chile, so if your main goal is to become fluent you may be faced with a challenge as Chileans speak rapidly and with a lot of slang. However, I learned the Chilean Spanish and had no problems.