AIFS Study Abroad in Berlin: January Term
study abroad students study abroad students

AIFS Study Abroad in Berlin: January Term

An unforgettable experience improved by excellent staff

I studied at Humboldt University in Berlin, Germany in January of 2016, and a year later, I still find myself thinking fondly on it and wishing that I could go back! The wonderful staff of AIFS undoubtedly contributed both to how much I enjoyed my time there and how smoothly the transition between countries went. From providing support in traveling to planning a fascinating variety of activities to participate in, AIFS provides its students with opportunities to be as involved as they are comfortable with, and that freedom certainly proved useful. By being able to balance personal adventuring with group activities, I felt as though the staff and fellow students were available to me as resources and as friends, but did not feel as if I was being overwhelmed by being part of the group.

In addition, I was drawn to AIFS by its all-inclusive fee, which included a pass for public transportation and a meal plan among other things. Though the cost of studying abroad is often a daunting factor in the decision to do so, AIFS ensures that you're getting your money's worth, and I was very grateful for the ability to pay one time and get everything I needed. Overall, AIFS is an excellent program with friendly and competent staff, and my decision to study abroad through their program is one that I'm thrilled with to this day.

Life-Altering Experience

This was the first of two study abroad programs I did with AIFS and the fact I live in Berlin now is a direct result of my experience during this program. I lived in a home-stay arrangement that was just far enough from school to allow me to walk and experience the city every morning without taking a long time. I know this wasn't the case for all of the students, but finding suitable home-stay lodgings is difficult enough in and of itself. There were several opportunities for us to participate in group gatherings at museums, do tours around the city, a trip to Dresden was included, and a trip to Prague was optional for an additional cost. Overall, the trip helped to immerse me in another culture in a way completely different than a short vacation can. Our program coordinator was extremely helpful and kind and had to put up with a lot of difficulties students were having trying to adapt etc, and yet she still did an outstanding job.