Teach Physical Education in Kenya with Projects Abroad

Teach Physical Education in Kenya with Projects Abroad

Life changing experience- Kenya

I traveled to Nanyuki, Kenya in June of 2017 and it has been an experience that has changed my life! Just like many first time volunteers abroad my feelings were nervousness, fear of what to expect and home sick, but all those feelings went away within the first week of my placement. I could not have been put at more ease when I walked into the Projects Abroad office the first time and meeting all the wonderful staff. Every staff member was welcoming and wanted to make sure you felt "at home" during your placement. They were there anytime you had a question or a problem. The staff as absolutely remarkable and made my volunteer experience just that much better.
I was placed at a school called Hope & Home where I was teaching Physical Education. This experience was eye opening and I was able to learn a lot about how the schooling works in Kenya and what struggles they face on a daily basis. The staff members at Hope & Home were so welcoming and kind when I first arrived. They all appreciate every little thing you are able to help with and the kids there are so amazing!! On average I would spend about 6 hours a day at my placement and was able to help with not only teaching Physical Education but teaching English as well.
The thing that made this trip wonderful was my host family. My host family was amazing!! They were so welcoming and overjoyed we were staying with them. I loved that they had younger kids and we were able to learn some of the basic cultural traditions during my duration of my stay. Overall, My experience volunteering with Projects Abroad in Kenya was amazing. The staff, my host family and everyone at my placement were amazing. I would recommend this program to anyone that wants to experience something they never have before.

• Projects Abroad responded to this review March 02, 2018 at 5:12 PM

Dear Savannah. It's great to hear you had such a wonderful time in Kenya! The children and the families are always happy to receive volunteers from around the world and learn from them, but also teach them about their own culture. The pictures are beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

The International Volunteer Programs Association