Teach English/French in Vietnam with Projects Abroad

Teaching English in Thuy Anh

I had a wonderful experience volunteering in Vietnam. From start to finish, the staff was helpful, by my side, and incredibly understanding and accommodating to my concerns. I was not in Hanoi, I was placed in Thuy Anh, a village about two hours outside of the city. Thuy Anh, while more remote than I was expecting, was absolutely wonderful and the best place that I have ever been. The people were incredibly gracious and welcoming. I had grades one through five with about fifty students in each class, and I taught twice a day for two hours each class. The students were so sweet, so smart, and loved games and songs.
I stayed at the rehab center with volunteers who were care volunteers or therapists, and I worked at the primary school down the road. Each volunteer had a bed, a mosquito net, a pillow and blanket, sheets, and a cabinet to keep our things that locked for safety purposes. We also had a kitchen that had a refrigerator, a sink, and an electric kettle. There were two bathrooms that each had a shower, and one bathroom had a washing machine. Lunch and dinner were provided for us (which I thoroughly enjoyed), and there were shops to buy things like yogurt for breakfast!
This is a great option to be in a different environment, and really feel like you're making a difference and helping!

• Projects Abroad responded to this review December 19, 2016 at 11:36 AM

Hi Devin! Thank you for volunteering with us in our Teaching project in Vietnam! Our placement in Thuy Anh allows volunteers to stay busy, since their classes have so many students! It makes your time there completely worthwhile for both volunteers and students, doesn't it? The accommodation at the Rehab Center is simple but comfortable. Thank you for sharing it, I am sure it will be very helpful for other volunteers who might be curious about it!!

The International Volunteer Programs Association