Refugee (SIDP) Camp Program in Nairobi, Kenya
Love Volunteers participant with two local kids Love Volunteers participant with two local kids

Refugee (SIDP) Camp Program in Nairobi, Kenya

Amazing Kenya

I was in Kenya for 3 very amazing weeks. Everyone I met was lovely
from my fellow volunteers to the local staff and just Kenyans in general. Everyone makes you feel welcome and at home. After just a few days with your fellow volunteers, you feel like family.

I had an incredible time on my placement. The teachers and children at the IDP school are great. The children are so friendly and lovely, it's almost overwhelming. I definitely loved spending time with the kids. I think this experience requires an understanding and acceptance that things work differently from back home and that this is OK, if you keep expecting things to work like your home nation you won’t enjoy the experience as much. I don't think I had a significant impact, to do so I would need to be there for a long period of time. However, I did gain an insight into the challenges faced in a developing nation, which was my main aim.

There was plenty of flexibility if you're unhappy with your project when you arrive the local staff will make efforts to put you on something more suitable.

Kenya is a gorgeous place and the range of excursions gives you an opportunity to explore this wonderful country. The monkeys were definitely my favourite.

This is definitely the best thing I've ever done. Definitely a worthwhile experience.

• Love Volunteers responded to this review September 17, 2017 at 5:27 PM

We couldn't have said this better ourselves Nina!

Thanks so much for taking the time to provide this feedback and great advice to help and encourage future volunteers.

Whilst it can feel like you haven't made a big impact in your relatively short time on the program, rest assured that you walk in a continuous line of volunteers who contribute to making a huge difference long term. In fact we were able to assist our first Refugee Camp in Nairobi to the point where volunteers were no longer required and we could move our efforts to this new camp - a fantastic effort!

Thanks again for being an amazing volunteer and we wish you all the very best for your future endeavors.

The Team @ Love Volunteers.