Teaching in Monasteries in Nepal
Love Volunteers participant with two local kids Love Volunteers participant with two local kids

Teaching in Monasteries in Nepal

Teaching English in Nepal

I had an absolutely wonderful time in Nepal. The people I stayed were the nicest I have ever met, and most endearing. Together, we plowed through one of the toughest language barriers with perseverance, stuttering, and a beautiful friendship. The volunteer coordinators, Kelly (Love Volunteers) and Kershab (on-site) were a joy to work with, Kershab spoke very good English, and knew the area very well. He was frank and gave us warning about staying out late and not being naive. He couldn't personally travel with us on the 8 hour bus ride to our volunteer site, but he sent his friend Manoj, who showed us the ropes of living in Nepal, provided us with food and tea, and made sure we were always taken care of. I have enjoyed sharing my experience with people now that I am home, and can't wait to return to my Nepali family soon.

• Love Volunteers responded to this review February 13, 2017 at 6:44 PM

Hi Liberty,

We're so pleased to hear about how much this program meant to you and your praise for Keshab and his team. We think they are amazing too!

It's when volunteers like you are open-minded and willing to learn that they impart the greatest gift to those that they are there to help. Thank-you.

Teaching English in a buddhist monastery-Pokhara, Nepal

I jumped into this volunteer opportunity with no expectations. I had completed volunteer work abroad before, but this was my first solo experience and my first experience with LoveVolunteers. Before arriving to Nepal, I had corresponded frequently with Kelly from Love Volunteers, as well as the local Nepal volunteer group. Both were incredibly efficient and timely when writing back to me. The guidebook sent from LoveVolunteers beforehand was also extremely helpful both in preparing for the trip and during my time spent abroad. Needless to say, I felt well prepared before catching my flight to Kathmandu.

When I arrived, I was offered airport and housing assistance for the first night through the local Nepal volunteer group, but felt confident in finding my own place to stay. Keshab, one of the local volunteers, kept in close contact with me the entire time, ensuring my comfort and safety. After meeting him the following morning, he had arranged comfortable transportation for me from Kathmandu to Pokhara, where my volunteer placement was. It was a long journey, but it was incredibly nice to have another local volunteer waiting for me there, Manoj. Both volunteers were very kind and were wonderful in assisting me to my destination.

When I first arrived at the monastery, again, I had no idea what I would be walking into. I am an English teacher in South Korea, teaching 600+ students a week. It was a relief to come to a quiet and peaceful monastery, teaching 3 young monks in training. The teaching schedule was open, so whether it was in the morning for two hours after their morning prayers, or in the afternoon, after a ceremony or festival, we would fit about 2 hours of English study in a day.

A quick note about the students: there were 3 boys, ages 12-15 years of age. The small size made teaching so effective and fun. Because the boys live together on the monastery, the camaraderie between them was a beautiful thing to witness. They were kind, smart and the most eager learners I have ever taught. The short hours I was able to spend with these amazing students made my entire trip worthwhile.

The rest of the time was my own. The monastery was a bit removed from the tourist destinations of Pokhara (ie. Lakeside, Sarangkot), so this gave me plenty of opportunities to meet and talk to the locals and the monks living in the monastery. I had met some of the most caring and giving people here. I thoroughly enjoyed the location because it gave me a chance to see the real Nepal and revel in the peace and quiet of the hillsides.

All in all, this has been one of the most rewarding experiences I have ever been fortunate enough to take part in. The beauty that Nepal has to offer is one thing, but getting a chance to live with and teach monks gave me a new perspective on life. Talking to the locals, sharing tea with their families and soaking in the rich culture of the Nepalese is the reason I will be coming back. The people I have met will remain near and dear to my heart. Without LoveVolunteers, I would not have been able to cross paths with these outstanding people. If given the opportunity, please, give this program a chance. Give Nepal a chance! It is a decision you will not regret!

• Love Volunteers responded to this review February 13, 2017 at 6:29 PM

Dear Stephanie,

Wow! Thanks so much for sharing this review and for your praise of our dedicated local team.

Your experience is 100% what volunteering is all about: Immersing yourself in the culture, being flexible and fitting in with the local schedule (in this case the Monks' daily rituals) and enjoying the different perspective that volunteering allows.

We would love to have you back as a Love Volunteer and wish you all the very best for the future.

It was epic!

Everything I expected both good and bad and much much more. I hope to return to Nepal to do more volunteering in the nearby future and to visit the monks I shared a home with for a short period of time.

In short, meeting these people, eating with them and teaching and living with them has restored my faith in the resolve of human beings and the No Excuses/No get out of jail free/No this pill will fix it clause. They are tough in mind and heart; they have been hit hard but persist.

They are no angels, but if you think about what they have been through, what they are still going through and how they natures and dispositions are still absolutely beautiful and calm, and you then compare it to what happens in first world countries over silly things, you realize there dam near close to angels. We get paid to help people in our countries, many of whom as we all know do not deserve it, in Nepal people do not ask you for help but I guarantee you they absolutely need and deserve it. Furthermore, the gratitude you receive after simple acts, will change your perspective on many values you once held dear.

There is no animosity between people only smiles. You do what you have to, to survive but you do not need to crush other races, religions, people and countries to do it. I think it’s important to realize that as a volunteer you have free reign on how you wish to help. If you are going over with the concept that you are going to change for example their core beliefs in order to change their lives, I assure you will be doing them a disservice. That is not volunteer work that is something entirely different and the world has endured enough of that. It’s just one of the reasons I would highly recommend LOVE VOLUNTEERS. The time is now to help. No excuses.

• Love Volunteers responded to this review May 05, 2016 at 6:52 PM

Dear Jerusha,

We are totally blown away by the perspective you have shared in this review!

It's so rewarding for us to hear from volunteers like yourself who are truly changed by and make a change from their volunteering experience - that's exactly what we set out to achieve.

Knowing that you will take this enlightened view on life back home with you and enrich your family and friends is all the more exciting!

Thanks for being such an absolutely awesome volunteer in Nepal and we hope to have you back on the team again in the future.

The Love Volunteers team in Nepal was VERY HELPFUL and kind

We did our volunteer program in Namo Buddha Monastery. All the monks in the monastery were happy to host us. We shared a lot of memorable moments with them.

Our classes were English, Science and Computer but we definitely learned more from them than they from us. They showed us a simple and honest way to live in peace and harmony. I recommend this program to anyone who want to live this experience, and also get the opportunity to learn more about Buddhism. I also recommend to all the volunteer to get involved in all kind of activities that you could share with the monks, besides teaching classes, as these kind of opportunities create more connections with the children and teenagers.

• Love Volunteers responded to this review April 12, 2016 at 6:31 PM

Hi Maria,

Thanks so much for being an involved volunteer on this wonderful program.

Great advice for future volunteers about getting involved in the daily routine of the monks!

We wish you all the best for the future and would love to welcome you back on the team again sometime.

Monastery in Nepal

We were in a monastery in Nepal for 2 weeks. The location was great as were the people here. Unfortunately, we landed there during the week of exams and the week of exam preparation. The first week we were able to teach more or less in a regular way, the second week we didn't teach, but we could help the students revise for their exams and we had to help during the exams of our own class. However, since we hadn't been around to prepare the exams themselves, this was not the easiest thing to help them with (in the case of one of the classes, we never even got to see the exam, so prepping the kids wasn't very easy). This place is fantastic and I would highly recommend it, but particularly for a short assignment, I would recommend avoiding exam week and the holiday week just after.

• Love Volunteers responded to this review September 14, 2015 at 7:35 PM

Hi Heidi. Thank you for the review of this program. We are glad that over all you enjoyed the experience and hope that you can join us again soon :)