Volunteer in Agriculture in Ghana

Volunteer in Agriculture in Ghana

Two Weeks Agriculture Project

I spent two weeks working on the agriculture program in Frankadua (purple). The work itself was tiring but I felt part of the community having to get up at 5:30 and work alongside the locals. As I was finished by 8am each day I was able to assist with both the teaching program and (in small ways) with the medical program which was an additional bonus I wasn't expecting!
At the weekends and in the evenings we chilled out, travelled to various other townships to markets and once to cape coast which was well worth the 5 hour journey!
Every part of my trip to Ghana was well organised and surpassed all my expectations, I only wish I could've stayed longer!
Thanks to IVHQ and all the other volunteers there with me!

An incredible 3 months!

I traveled to Ghana January 15th, 2017 to volunteer in the IVHQ Ghana Agriculture program. I had no idea what I was getting into as signing up for the trip was sort of a spur of the moment deal.

I was originally scheduled to spend two months in Ghana and then spend a month or two traveling Europe. I ended up having such and amazing experience in Ghana that I cancelled the Europe travel and extended my time in Ghana to 3 months!

Throughout the entire trip I felt completely safe and confident in the IVHQ/Volunteer Corps team. I want to name Evans Nkansah especially, as he is an incredible leader, manager, friend- human being. He helped us with anything and everything, even when it had nothing to do with the program- like our trip to Mole National Park. He did everything he could to make sure we were safe and satisfied with our trip even though it wasn't his job, and he had nothing to gain. He was just being a great friend. He doesn't miss a beat, and thinks of absolutely everything. The few times that we ran into issues during the program, he always answered his phone and always had a solution or solid advice. The guy should be running the whole program!

The rest of he staff were always helpful and, for the most part, reachable.

The community we were in, Frankadua- Volta Region, was also incredible. The people are so kind and welcoming. I felt like family the whole time I was there, and already have plans to return in June of 2018.

There is room for growth in the agriculture program itself. I believe a bit more of our registration fees need to be directed to the program to get the proper tools and improve the farm so that it can provide more food for the orphanages. We made it work though! Where the program lacked, we were able to make it up with our own projects in the community.

I would definitely recommend this program to absolutely EVERYONE. This trip was nothing short of life changing. Even if you have zero interest in any of the programs offered, GO! You have the freedom to make up your own program once you are there. You WILL make a difference!

IVHQ Ghana

I had a great time on my IVHQ Ghana trip. I was in Senya in Ghana for one month volunteering. Staff member Evans Nkansah was really great. He helped me in so many ways and was a great host and representative of the country. Benedict Adeli was also very helpful. Thank you IVHQ!

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review October 06, 2016 at 8:16 PM

Hi Connor, It is our pleasure! Thanks for being an IVHQer and we hope to welcome you on another program in the future.