Volunteer in Agriculture in Ghana

Volunteer in Agriculture in Ghana

Experience of a Lifetime

5 weeks in Ghana and it was an experience that ended way too soon and fast.
What started out as a seemingly long trip went by in the blink of an eye and felt that it was coming to an end just as it was only starting.

I did the program with IVHQ / Volunteer Corps Ghana and it was definitely a good decision because the organisation made sure that we had what we needed to get assimilated with the place and were well taken care of while contributing to the community.

A special mention about, Evans who is the program coordinator and monitor in Ghana. Evans is one of the most dedicated person I have met, passionate about his work. Constantly making sure that the program is running well and that volunteers' well being are taken care of. On top of which, he is always on the look out for new opportunities for volunteers to contribute to the community. Evans went above and beyond, making the experience a lot more fulfilling.

• International Volunteer HQ [IVHQ] responded to this review February 28, 2018 at 3:20 PM

Hi Mich - I'm thrilled to hear you enjoyed your time in Ghana! I'm glad to hear you felt supported by our local team, and that they were able to go above and beyond for you to ensure your experience was amazing. We hope to have you join us again someday soon! ^Kaila - IVHQ Ghana Program Manager

Two Weeks Agriculture Project

I spent two weeks working on the agriculture program in Frankadua (purple). The work itself was tiring but I felt part of the community having to get up at 5:30 and work alongside the locals. As I was finished by 8am each day I was able to assist with both the teaching program and (in small ways) with the medical program which was an additional bonus I wasn't expecting!
At the weekends and in the evenings we chilled out, travelled to various other townships to markets and once to cape coast which was well worth the 5 hour journey!
Every part of my trip to Ghana was well organised and surpassed all my expectations, I only wish I could've stayed longer!
Thanks to IVHQ and all the other volunteers there with me!

An incredible 3 months!

I traveled to Ghana January 15th, 2017 to volunteer in the IVHQ Ghana Agriculture program. I had no idea what I was getting into as signing up for the trip was sort of a spur of the moment deal.

I was originally scheduled to spend two months in Ghana and then spend a month or two traveling Europe. I ended up having such and amazing experience in Ghana that I cancelled the Europe travel and extended my time in Ghana to 3 months!

Throughout the entire trip I felt completely safe and confident in the IVHQ/Volunteer Corps team. I want to name Evans Nkansah especially, as he is an incredible leader, manager, friend- human being. He helped us with anything and everything, even when it had nothing to do with the program- like our trip to Mole National Park. He did everything he could to make sure we were safe and satisfied with our trip even though it wasn't his job, and he had nothing to gain. He was just being a great friend. He doesn't miss a beat, and thinks of absolutely everything. The few times that we ran into issues during the program, he always answered his phone and always had a solution or solid advice. The guy should be running the whole program!

The rest of he staff were always helpful and, for the most part, reachable.

The community we were in, Frankadua- Volta Region, was also incredible. The people are so kind and welcoming. I felt like family the whole time I was there, and already have plans to return in June of 2018.

There is room for growth in the agriculture program itself. I believe a bit more of our registration fees need to be directed to the program to get the proper tools and improve the farm so that it can provide more food for the orphanages. We made it work though! Where the program lacked, we were able to make it up with our own projects in the community.

I would definitely recommend this program to absolutely EVERYONE. This trip was nothing short of life changing. Even if you have zero interest in any of the programs offered, GO! You have the freedom to make up your own program once you are there. You WILL make a difference!

• International Volunteer HQ [IVHQ] responded to this review November 27, 2017 at 7:24 PM

Hi Peter, Thanks for sharing! We are so glad that your spur of the moment decision to volunteer in Ghana resulted in an amazing and life changing experience. Thanks for being an outstanding volunteer and the team looks forward to having you back.
    Kaila - IVHQ Ghana Program Manager

Ghana changed my life

I volunteered in Ghana, Africa in the beginning of November, until the beginning of January. Volunteering abroad has always been my biggest goal in life! When I first arrived in Ghana, I knew right away that I had made the best decision in choosing Ghana, to volunteer. Going into it, I had no idea how much it would change my life and how much I would learn. Ghanians are by far the most hard working, nice, and loving people that I have ever met! I learned so much in my time there, and can only hope that I will be able to go back again this year! I hope that many others choose to volunteer in Ghana, and get to experience the amazing experience that I got to!

IVHQ Ghana

I had a great time on my IVHQ Ghana trip. I was in Senya in Ghana for one month volunteering. Staff member Evans Nkansah was really great. He helped me in so many ways and was a great host and representative of the country. Benedict Adeli was also very helpful. Thank you IVHQ!

• International Volunteer HQ [IVHQ] responded to this review October 06, 2016 at 8:16 PM

Hi Connor, It is our pleasure! Thanks for being an IVHQer and we hope to welcome you on another program in the future.