Internship in Vietnam with Asia Internship Program
Tall buildings Tall buildings

Internship in Vietnam with Asia Internship Program

3 month internship in Vietnam

My trip to Ho Chi Minh City was my first time in Vietnam and also my first real world working experience which turned out to be an amazing adventure also. The bulk of the preparations was taken care of by AIP who made sure I had my visa, picked me up from the airport and sorted me out with accommodation in a decent location.
I really enjoyed the daily routine I had in Vietnam, I found it so interesting how taking a daily nap is not only expected but encouraged. As someone who partakes in the odd siesta this was the greatest thing someone could have told me. Other than the sacred daily nap the work life was pretty full on as I was in an international company. The other staff members were really nice and accommodating and I couldn't say a single thing against them - accept the cleaning lady who never put the paper towels to dry your hands in the bathroom. For those looking to take part in something new, unique and exciting I would defiantly suggest this program.

Finance internship

My experience in Hanoi was brilliant. I spent three months there and it was one the most interesting experiences I have ever had, I'm from Zürich so it doesn't get more different than that. I was attracted to Vietnam because my friends travelled there the following summer while I was working. Their pictures were enough to convince me.

I stumbled upon AIP through Facebook and applied not really sure what to expect, the interview was pretty reassuring as I had doubts about the Program before this. As a finance graduate, I interned in an independent Banking firm, and near everyone there was very nice and accommodating. I had the opportunity to work on several parts on M&A projects, and I saw improvement in my soft and technical skills. The working experience itself was really beneficial to my career, I expected to learn a bit more than I actually did but that's not matter because I really enjoyed the tasks I was given. Of course the experience is not only about the work experience, it's also about discovering a new culture and making new friends along the way. After my internship I rented a bike with another intern I met and together we biked from the north of Vietnam to the south and it was one of the most amazing things I've ever experienced in my life.

Vietnam is one of those places that it doesn't matter how long you stay there, there is always something else to see. I felt like I left too soon but I think I would have felt that way no matter when I left! Such an amazing country.

Life changing

When I applied through Asia Internship Program to do a human resources internship in Vietnam I was looking to mesh travel and gaining experience to make my LinkedIn profile and resume more impressive. I had wanted to go to Vietnam because it was not the most typical place to see down on a resume and because it was my favorite place I travelled to when I did a trip through south east asia the previous year.

As a person who has never gone anywhere on their own before going to Vietnam I can say that the staff at AIP did a pretty good job when preparing me for my move, I would have liked more information about day to day life in Vietnam but that is a small complaint as everything I was looking for could be found online and I already had an idea because I had been there before. When it came to the visa arrangements I was given precise directions which I appreciate because visa delays have been as issue before when I was travelling. I know how complicated and annoying it can be.

When I landed in Vietnam I stayed in a hostel in the old quarter which was great for touristic activities but far away from my internship. I was there a full week before I managed to track down a suitable place to stay. AIP did provide me a list of links to look through but I wanted to see the places before agreeing to stay there, a slight regret but it doesn’t effect me much now. As a place to live, Hanoi is ridiculously cheap, gel nails for two dollars! And the food was very inoffensive – I am the pickiest eater in Australia.

One thing you can say about me is I love talking to people, I’m a self-proclaimed social butterfly. HR just makes sense to me as a profession, during my internship I had the opportunity to speak to a lot of people through conducting interviews and meetings. I enjoyed every minute of my placement. I have been given the opportunity of a full time position and I jumped at the chance to stay here longer! I am in love with SEA, I am currently on holiday in Singapore and I’m really enjoying seeing places that are unlike anywhere I’ve been to before.

Opportunity to explore my roots

As a Vietnamese Italian who never had the opportunity to discover and explore her heritage, this trip was exactly what I’ve been looking for! A trip to Vietnam was never possible because I was always either working or studying. I never had the chance to really learn my language, eat my food and explore my culture which brought a lot of sadness to me. Once I was graduated I jumped at the opportunity to move to Vietnam for a few months and as I was also doing an internship and getting real experience in the finance sector I got no objections from my parents!

During my stay, I was placed at a fintech start-up that I was given a good deal of responsibility which I really appreciated. I was really thrown into the deep end which is great because that is where I thrive! My Vietnamese language has come on a bit too, my mother nearly got a heart attack when I greeted her in Vietnamese over Skype. Overall I am so delighted to have been given the opportunity to visit my estranged home and I hope that this internship isn’t the end, I need to go back!

Wirklich empfehlenswert

Ich habe mein Praktikum mit AIP's Hilfe in Hanoi machen koennen. Ich habe vorher bereits ein Aulandssemester in den USA absolviert. Nun wollte ich eine komplett andere Welt kennen lernen: Sued-Ost Asien. Zuerst habe ich alles versucht ein Praktikum ohne AIP zu finden jedoch ohne Erfolg. AIP hat sehr viele Partnerfirmen und konnte mich somit mit zwei Firmen in Kontakt bringen (da mir die erste Firma nicht gefallen hat) Ingesamt hat mir alles sehr gut gefallen und ich kann ein Auslandspraktikum mit AIP echt jedem empfehlen.

Hanoi is overwhelming

This summer I had the opportunity to intern in Hanoi, Vietnam, which provided me with one of the wildest summers I’ve ever have. I spent my time interning at a small consulting firm in outskirts of the city. There, I was provided with the opportunity to put my theory from University to practice. AIP provided me with the chance to travel to a different continent. I am really grateful because they allowed me to experience a whole new culture and lifestyle that I believe has really impacted me and improved my resume. Along with that, they were there with me every step of the way providing support whenever I needed it and organising events for the interns based here. This summer allowed me to go to places I never thought I would, meet some of the most kind and genuine people I ever will, and learn about a brand new culture. I am grateful for the opportunity AIP has provided me and I hope to travel back to Hanoi again to create many more fond memories. In saying that, I am excited to return home and apply the things I have learned to work in the UK.
Things to improve?
The location of the company was slightly far out so I would have to travel a bit to meet people after work/ on the weekends.

Still loving Pho - amazing experience

From dealing with the culture shock to making lifelong friends, I would say I don´t regret my decision of choosing Vietnam. Hanoi gave me an opportunity to learn more about myself and to grow both personally and professionally. The city has it all: Famous attractions, nightlife, and so many different types of food (I’m now addicted to Pho)! You will find people from all over the world, share different stories and be able to travel with them.

My cousin referred me to AIP, and they are there with you in every step of the way. From the first interview, they are able to get to know you and find the internship placement that best fits your interests. This was my first time traveling to Asia and AIP has made it so easy, they are there for guidance and assistance whenever you need it. Thank you!

Things to improve
I think the company could do with a little bit more communication between doing the interview and finding an actual placement. I was offered updates whenever asked however.