Internship in Indonesia with Asia Internship Program
Tall buildings Tall buildings

Internship in Indonesia with Asia Internship Program

Amazing experience

As a fresh graduate with little to no IT experience but still feeling like I deserved some sort of reward for finishing my studies I thought travel + work experience seemed like the right path, I went on Go Abroad and found AIP. I was a little apprehensive at the start so I actually contacted one of the girls who had left a review for advice - her encouraging words swayed me and I applied! Three months later I was in Indonesia. Everyone in my office was so nice and kind to me as admittedly at the start I had no idea what I was doing but they were patient with me and I was well into the swing of things by the 2 week mark and was able to see my University studies come to use - good to see they weren't for nothing! Sometimes the office was quiet and a little boring but that happens in most work places so it didn't phase me at all. As much as I enjoyed my work the highlight of my trip was defiantly the travelling. I went to an amazing elephant sanctuary in Ubud and and did the chocolate pod tour where I saw how chocolate it made, it doesn't smell as good as you might imagine but still really fun to experience! I wasn't the biggest fan of the beaches on Bali just because they were quite crowded. I am really fortunate to be able to have such an amazing opportunity to live an work in somewhere so beautiful as Indonesia this is a program I have been recommending to all of my friends since returning home!

Working in a hotel in Bandung

I came to Indonesia because I wanted to work in the tourism industry for experience after University. I am studying hospitality but I took a gap year to travel and to get experience also. Thailand is the first stop on the list then my internship in Indonesia. I wanted to stay in Indonesia the longest because to me it is the most beautiful country. I was only travelling for 9 months but it was the most amazing time. My internship was in a hotel based in Bandung which had alot of travelers, I had to work behind the desk and help with making reservations. After I graduate I want to open my own hostel in Harbin so this experience is very important to me, I learned alot while working and I did some travelling too. I recommend AIP for providing internships and I recommend Indonesia to travel to.

Internship in Jakarta

Having already finished my first year of University in the Hong Kong, I decided to do something a bit different. While I did think that getting an internship in Jakarta would be a good choice in terms of helping me secure a job after I graduated in the next couple of years, I really decided to go for the adventure. I was sent to high school in Washington to improve my English so I am no stranger to stepping outside of my comfort zone, I am a little too excited by adventure. I viewed this as a chance to further enhance my background knowledge in the industry of supply chain and logistics and of course to see South East Asia as I had never been to that part of the world before despite living so near.

Moving to Jakarta was not scary for me. I was excited to get started. AIP set me up in a large company located near the beautiful Marina Beach! While the US can be nice on the eyes, I don't think I have ever live somewhere quite so pretty before. Probably my favourite part of the job was managing the SMO inventory processes for the company which was brand new to me and I felt like an actual responsible adult. There were also standard adminastritive duties that I wasn't thrilled by but most jobs have some aspects of that in the mix. Everyone in the office was really helpful and friendly, I was only there for 3 months but I felt like part of the family. I liked that my Chinese and English language skills were needed.

While I loved my work, the travel aspect of the placement was my favorite part! I wish I had more time to see more places as I only got to see Indonesia itself and Malaysia. I'm so happy for the opportunity to see such beautiful countries and I will defiantly be returning to SEA. I don't have enough good things to say about this program, I only wish my Summer break was longer!

Lovely adventure

My friend and I had been looking for adventure after graduating. We were slaving away in a call center and neither of us felt that's where we should be. We both applied to a couple of different programs like AIP but we decided it best to gather information before deciding on one for definite. As luck would have it I actually mentioned in my interview with AIP that I had a friend who also applied, I didn't know that made us eligible for a discount until they told me. That was the deciding factor, we went with AIP and looking back I'm delighted we came to that decision. Our areas of study were different so we were placed in different companies but we didn't need to be attached at the hip and suited us both fine. Aside from the weather I actually think my work was my favorite part. I prefer small intimate groups and that's what I got! The housing was fine, a tiny bit far from my work but near Jakarta city centre so I can't really complain too much. Overall I had a last, I'm actually surprised by how much fun I had and popped over to Vietnam and Thailand before heading back home!

Adventure in a tropical paradise - how can you go wrong?

I was skeptical of paying to be placed in an internship in Jakarta but I needed that push to get me out of my comfort zone and I am so glad I made the choice to go. It wasn’t without it’s ups and downs however.

Let’s start with the ups; Indonesia is beautiful. No one can deny. My favourite spot being the Gili Islands even if they were a tad touristic, there is a reason the place is so popular. Stunning. Tana Toraja was also painfully beautiful. The food was phenomenal too it’s a wonder I didn’t put on weight. My placement was in an NGO in Central Jakarta and I thoroughly enjoyed my 6 months there.

The downs now. I did suffer from some slight homesickness while away from home, nothing a Skype to my Grandmother couldn’t fix but sometime the time difference made that difficult the only other thing I had issue with was meeting other interns. Jakarta is massive and the other interns were spaced fairly far away. Fortunately, AIP arranged some activities for us so it sort of forced us to meet.

All in all I’m absolutely delighted I decided to take the plunge and move aboard on my own for 6 months! I’ve been bored senseless since coming back home.

Something really special

My time with AIP in Indonesia was really something special. During my internship, I learned practical knowledge about hospitality, which is invaluable to me as I begin my career. The best thing about my time was definitely the fooood. The meals were delicious, cheap and a great reason to hang out with my fellow interns. I highly recommend this internship program to those looking to step out of their comfort zone and acquire experience in their field along with a more global perspective!

Fear turns into confidence

Great internship experience and a great way to make new connections with people across the globe! I know that the internship I was placed in was perfect for my future career goals and has provided me with experience that has made me more competitive in the work force!
When I first arrived to Jakarta I was so excited, but I also had so many fears. This was my first time out of the country. AIP really cared about my well being and answered any questions I had. Thanks to AIP I was able to meet new people and work at an amazing job. I never knew I was capable of functioning in another country outside of my own. I've learned so many things about myself just by being here. If it wasn't for AIP connecting me to everything else & letting me know when things were happening in the city, I don't think my time here would have been as amazing. The only thing I can say I don't like is that my accommodation initially was not so clean but AIP hired a maid to clean it the next day.

Crazy adventure

What makes Indonesia so different are its culture and people. Giacarta is so international that you can actually meet people from different continents of the world everyday. People here are very friendly and make you feel so welcomed. I love music and arts and there are tons of museums, theaters and concerts; I love foods and there are tons of cafes, restaurants and pubs. Bally is definitely one of the coolest places I have ever been to. Besides, I can take advantage of its location to travel the country at weekends. Giacarta truly is a place where you can both work hard and play hard. My internship in Indonesia has been one of the most unforgettable experiences in my life. Really looking forward to coming back in future. Sometimes it was a bit lonely and I found it hard to make friends, I would have made very few if AIP hadn't arranged any activities for the interns.