VISIONS Montana
Visions Service Adventures Header Image Visions Service Adventures Header Image

VISIONS Montana

Life Changing

I had an amazing time with Visions Montana North Cheyenne trip. We performed many different community service projects on the trip, including working with Kids Kollege, building skate ramps, and helping to renovate the community college. The work was extremely rewarding and satisfying because we were having a direct impact on the community. The happiness and gratitude from the locals was nothing I have ever experienced. The look on their faces when we finished our projects was priceless and made all the hard work so worthwhile. I made long lasting connections with the people on this trip, as well as the locals in Lame Deer. This trip made me grow in confidence, and get out of my comfort zone ,something that I never would have imagined I was able to do. I also loved being exposed to a new culture and community that was so dramatically different from my own. This trip will always have a special place in my heart. If you are considering going on this trip, go, I promise you will surprise yourself with the positive and long term effect it will have on you.

A Life-Changing Little Infinity

One of my friends during our trip with VISIONS to Montana Northern Cheyenne described our experience, our short eighteen days as our own little infinity of time. It was meant as an offhanded pop-culture reference, but I saw a lot of truth in it.
VISIONS was a little infinity of memories and moments that will stay with me for a lifetime.
So instead of posting another general review (there are a couple posted here for VISIONS Montana already), I want to share with you some of my favorite personal recollections from that little infinity of time. Hopefully they will capture my experience, and hopefully they will encourage you to consider going with VISIONS to the Northern Cheyenne Indian Reservation.
We lived in Lame Deer's preschool, where we made meals together. The first time, my homebase crew struggled for hours to assemble sweet potato enchiladas, laughing and talking the whole time. That first attempt was widely considered a disaster, but when we were told that we were going to make the hardest dinner in a couple days, our staff member said, "Oh bring it on."
I remember working with a friend to load wood trim (for the community college library bathroom we were working on) onto Terry, the old, white truck VISIONS owned that all the boys loved fondly.
I remember the list of people banned hung next to the door of Lame Deer grocery store, and wondering about the story behind each name.
I remember the noodles we ate at the top of the mountain after a long, long day of hiking, and thinking that I'd never tasted better food in my life.
I remember sitting in the passenger seat as we headed for Colstrip for supplies, singing Taylor Swift at the top of our lungs.
I remember leaning back in my Crazy Creek on the last night, as the sun set, and looking around at the beautiful fields that stretched for miles around me and thinking that there was absolutely no other place I would rather be.

This experience refreshed my life.

27 days, this long trip without my family really makes me grow so much. Also, it's the first time I do this kind of volunteer work such as building, painting, and so on. The whole experience was refreshing me and making me think of my life and my future. This trip also makes me not too shy like I was. To be honest, the feeling of using your own hands to help others satisfy me the most. All I want to say is: I really miss everyone who was in that program with me and this will be the most memorable experience in my life. If you choose it, you will never regret.

Absolute Awesomeness

Oh my gosh! If you are looking for something absolutely amazing to do with your summer, I recommend VISIONS Montana for you. The staff consists of kind, helpful people, the participants are wonderful, and the service that you do really affects the community in a positive way. It's a very worthwhile opportunity, and chances are you'll leave there feeling better than you ever have, along with wanting to come back.