The Language House TEFL - Join our Community & Teach Abroad!
The Language House TEFL participants The Language House TEFL participants

The Language House TEFL - Join our Community & Teach Abroad!

• Host School or Placement

• Compensation & Benefits

• Support Services

The Language House TEFL

The Language House was a great program to get me started in Prague. I feel like they set me up for success in living and teaching in Prague or anywhere else abroad. The community is very strong and supportive and I have made many lifelong friends through they connections from the Language House.

Teaching hours were helpful

We spent a lot of time actually preparing lesson plans and teaching during the course, which I think was really helpful. There is really no way to learn how to be a teacher without having some sort of classroom experience, and The Language House provides a lot of opportunity to improve your teaching ability. They help you to see teaching as a skill that can be improved, and they work with you to make that happen.

The fantasy

The Language House Prague is a fast paced rollercoaster full of adrenaline to ease the anxiety of living abroad. Although it is jam packed into 4 weeks, the people that enroll leave with knowledge that can be applied for years. The staff is so exceptional that I wouldn’t be able to pick a favorite person that works there. They don’t just teach you skills in ESL, they provide housing during the 4 weeks, give resources to jobs, and make the Visa process simple and stress free. You will leave this course feeling confident for the months to come. You will get to know every one of your fellow peers and they will feel like family. Yes, it is intense at times but if you just take a deep breath and just do what’s asked, you’ll survive until the end. The course even begins with several tours of the beautiful city of Prague, you’ll learn about their culture, and you’ll even learn a little bit of Czech. Have a fear of public speaking? You’ll feel much more confident after practice lessons with actual Czech students. Worried about culture shock? You will be immersed in a group of peers to help you fit in. Don’t have teaching experience? As long as you are fluent in English and have a good work ethic you’ll be set. Seriously, you’ll be doing something that you would never think you were capable of. There’s nothing bad that I could say about this program and it’s worth every penny. The Language House Prague is an experience that has changed my life forever.

• Course Instructor

Highly effective! hard to beat!

Highly effective and dynamic staff who take an interest in their students - Demand high standards but are achievable! Great package that I believe is hard to beat - having been a registered school teacher in Australia years ago I personally learnt and refreshed a great deal that I had forgotten at University all those years ago. Highly recommended!

No regrets!

Being a non native English speakers and having worked in an international school for 4 years, taking the TEFL course at the Language House has been one of the best decisions towards my educational and professional development I've made recently. Not only it helped enhance and boost my teaching skills, but also provided me with new teaching ideas and methodology that I can integrate in my teaching style.
The greatest advantage of the Tefl Language House is the staff and teachers. They are available almost 24/7 to assist with lesson planning and assignments but also to provide their valuable help and experience regarding life in the Czech Republic (finding a job/housing, everyday life tips). The morning lessons fully prepare the students and make them ready to teach English to real Czech students in the afternoon. In this way, the students finish the course armed with effective teaching methods, tools and teaching experience in a real classroom.
I would recommend the Tefl Language House to anyone who aspires to become a skillful English teacher and wants to study in the most beautiful city of Europe, Prague!

Life abroad

It was great. The staff was knowledgeable and helpful. The alumni network available afterwards is priceless. The visa support service is also invaluable. I would give my experience with The Language House a 10/10 every time.

New life abroad

It was great. I received lots of support from The Language House Staff. There is a Language House alums page and that is where I found plenty of employment opportunities. They really support you and have created an excellent alumni network to get your life started abroad.

• Course Instructor

Great course, great guidance, great program

I took this course a few months ago just to work on getting a freelance visa here in the Czech Republic, but what I got was much more. We were taught everything we needed to know to succeed as English teachers anywhere in the world, including an extensive review in English grammar, which is something none of us really thought about for several years. We were given an excellent framework from which we could build our own lesson plans which I am still using today. They were a bit rigid in using this plan during the student teaching sessions, but it's understandable since most people coming through the program are inexperienced teachers they need drilling to help them through the first few weeks of teaching after the course. Job assistance is great. I was a bit apprehensive about finding work with so many people going through the program each year but I see job postings so frequently and landed the first opportunity I applied for. I've asked around about this as well and within 2-3 months most people are in a pretty good groove with respect to work and life. TLH also has events throughout the year to connect you with other grads, and everyone I've met through these events are very nice people. Also, the beer is cheap.

The Language House TEFL

The Language House TEFL WAS such a great experience. The course was challenging but fun. I learned a lot of useful techniques and made many connections with people around Prague. The alumni community is strong which helps new teachers adjust to living and working in Prague as well as the support from the staff. I would highly recommend The Language House Tefl.

Great decision

The Language House was an amazing decision! Amazing and knowledgeable staff, great alum network, and they are always willing to answer any question you have. All of my jobs in Prague were a direct result of their alumni Facebook group - which is very extensive and ever-growing!

• Host School or Placement

• Compensation & Benefits

• Support Services

TEFL teacher - Czech Republic

When I entered 10 points for each category, I truly meant every bit of it. Chris and the rest of The Language House's [TLH] staff make you feel welcomed right away upon arrival in-country. This program also requires twice the amount of teaching practice hours before certification is awarded. While some may look at it as "just more work," TLH's hands-on lesson approach leaves one more than capable to walk into a classroom upon graduation.

In addition to the fine preparation, there is also an amazing social benefits for new arrivals in the program. Using TLH Facebook pages, one is easily able to find job postings and social events involving the several hundred TLH graduates still living in town. Not only in Prague, but from other cities all around the world, graduates who have moved away from Czechia make posts similar to the description above.

Overall, I could not recommend this program enough. No matter what "stage of life" you seem to find yourself in, this program is worth every bit of money and time you put into it!

• Course Instructor

Learn, train, fall in love with Prague

The Course is Awesome. You get tons of actually helpful theory and a chance to hone it through practical experience. They make sure that you get every drop of Prague as an experience too. Most of my class stayed on to teach and/or came back For extended stays since.

Best decision

Once I decided to move to another country, I was quite overwhelmed. My friend had done this program and recommended it. I’m so glad he did! They really build a community to make the scary challenge of moving somewhere else manageable.

• Course Instructor

Learn the skills you'll carry with you for the rest of your life!

Depending on who you are, the idea of going abroad to learn a new skill to potentially live and work there can range from being immeasurably exciting to terrifying yet intriguing. Every step of the way, from when you initially show interest in TLH through their website and talking to Chris and his staff, to joining the course and finding accommodation, to completing the course and finding your first work opportunities, there will always be someone there to help you and tell you what you need to know. This is not to say that it is a hand-holding experience, though. This is an intensive course where you'll learn more about the English language, teaching, and yourself than you might imagine. The staff has your best interests at heart and will always want to help you do well (you are making a huge lifestyle change, after all!), but most importantly, they are trustworthy and honest, which gives you the confidence to be even more independent than you thought possible as you navigate your way in a new culture and career. I wouldn't change my experience taking the course, the events afterwards (a year of teaching in Prague followed by a year teaching in Pamplona, Spain), and the people I've met along the way for anything in the world. An absolutely invaluable experience. It certainly won't always be easy, but that's how you know it's absolutely worth it.

A life learning experience

This program was the best decision I could have made. Not only did I learn a lot about ESOL students, but I made once in a life time experiences. After I finished the course I got to travel around the world while teaching. TLH helps with any of your questions about moving, classes and even job opportunities after the course is over.

Great TEFL program in Prague

The program is excellent and the teacher's are very helpful with lesson plans, preparation with living aboard and finding a job in Prague. Only advice in the beginning which could have been better is the best time of the year to take the course and the "real" cost of living in Prague. If you plan to work right away and not travel. August, September are the best as the Language Schools begin hiring for fall teachers in Prague. October begins the semester or the schools have openings the second half of the year in February or March when other teacher leave after 6 months. From mid June, it's summer vacation and if you plan to work over the summer, you'll need to find a summer language program i.e. kids summer camp to make enough money to live. Cost of living is not as they protray and the days when you could live well on a teacher's salary are gone in Prague. Prague is quite expensive compared to Germany as Rent for a flat share cost more than Germany i.e. Berlin. Also the cost of food is higher as well. So if plan to teach and save money, forget it. You'll need to have extra cash set aside to pay the rental deposit, buy home supplies i.e. bedding and travel.

A great learning experience

I was looking for a second career. The course tonight me that I was not suited for this work. I was given expert training and advice and consider the program time well spent. The staff is professional, helpful and tough! They went out of their way to help me. I consider myself a friend of the program and would highly recommend it.

Best program out there

This course changed my life. Not only was it a great, comprehensive overview of teaching abroad, but it also provided support and guidance to every student in my class. I had never been outside of the United States before packing and bag and moving to Prague, and it was terrified. This course and the teachers in it provided so much help and instilled so much confidence it me that from day 1 I was no longer afraid. I lived and taught abroad for 2 years in 2 different countries and I couldn't have done it without The Language House.

A single month in Prague

I had never been to Prague before the month-long course at The Language House began, despite having been elsewhere in Europe many times, and so I was actually a bit nervous at the prospect of 1) visiting a new European city 2) actually living there for more than a week 3) taking an intensive course with the real possibility of living in Prague after it was all finished. I hadn't decided on whether I would stay in Prague when I first arrived, and it's entirely because of my extremely positive experience with The Language House that I felt confident about staying long-term after about two weeks into the course.

There are many reasons why. First and foremost, the staff at TLH is incredible. I was perhaps uncharitably expecting disgruntled expats who slammed grammar points and routine lesson structures in order to produce TEFL certs in monthly batches. I just wanted to obtain a certificate, in and out, so that I could live and teach in Prague. I was instantly surprised, however, at the kindness and depth of experience apparent in the staff, even from the first weekend I arrived. There are some truly good and intelligent people at TLH who, in addition to their clearly-extensive experience with nervous expats learning to teach English, also know how to expertly APPLY their experience calmly and professionally. It's obvious they've encountered every possible obstacle legally, professionally, personally, medically, etc., etc., etc. All of this makes TLH a very human-centered environment, which is truly invaluable when it comes to creating a sense of home and familiarity for a gigantic group of expats coming together for a month of intensive coursework, who are all also trying to adjust to Prague itself while knowing minimal Czech, public transport knowledge, and cultural norms.

Second, the course itself is as polished, organized, and professional as possible. It's clear that the instructors, who teach a variety of lessons including ESA methodology, grammar, intro Czech, demo English lessons, more grammar, etc., have taught their lessons countless times, and they know exactly what works. Neither does it feel routine or stale. The instructors truly seem to love what they do, and I can't recall a single lesson where I didn't laugh. There is a sense of humor and and welcome that pervades even the driest grammar lessons, and this is one of the key aspects of TLH as a TEFL cert school. I cannot overstate the value of this. It made going to class each day, as well as teaching real Czech students at night, feel less like going to school and more like an engaging, authentic, and even fun professional experience. I was shocked at how prepared I felt, after only a month, to confidently construct an English lesson at a moment's notice for any level of skill.

Finally, apart from the coursework and the human-centered environment, the most important aspect of TLH is its clear sense of community and guidance that extends beyond the first month. The alumni community is obviously invaluable for both professional and social reasons. There are routine social meetups for alumni, job postings, apartment-hunting advice, legal/bureaucratic advice, as well as continuous outreach to expat groups focused on different hobbies such as theater, art, and music.

I cannot recommend TLH highly enough, and it was likely the single most determining factor for my decision to stay in Prague long-term.

• Course Instructor

One of the best experiences of my life

I completed TLH in August of 2016 and I would highly recommend this course to anybody interested in teaching abroad. The management and administration is very helpful. They are always available for advice and to answer any questions you have. While the course is intense, it more than prepares you for teaching English to foreign learners here in Prague and elsewhere. In fact the course is so thorough that I haven't had any difficulties yet, and I had no previous experience in teaching. Additionally, Prague is a fun, affordable, beautifully charming city.

In my opinion, the most valuable part of TLH is the alumni network. There is a huge network of people that have come through TLH and we stick together like family. There is always an opportunity to find quality work, assistance with visa approval and other bureaucratic issues, finding an apartment or flat, and virtually anything else one might need when moving to a new place. Even simple things such as buying/selling goods, locating fun times in the city, or travel advice, the alumni network is unbelievably supportive.

This course was fantastic.

TEFL

I️ had an amazing experience in this program. Instructors were passionate and engaging. Also the owner was willing to come in early and stay late to help with content I️ was getting stuck on. The Facebook page always seems to have job postings or a place for advice. I️ highly recommend this course!!!

Best experience ever

I’m going to keep this simple and to the point. If you want to travel the world and teach a language that you already speak fluently, then you should get certified by The Language House. Their course is not easy by any means. They pushed me to learn a new skill quickly, and the course was intense but totally worth it. Chris Westergaard and staff do an incredible job of making sure that you have the tools to succeed before, during, and after the course. Look at it this way. Do you want to come to Prague and hang out for four weeks and take an easy course that won’t prepare you to actually teach in front of classes of real people? If so, don’t take the TEFL course from the Language House. However, if you want to be taken out of your comfort zone to learn a new skill and really get prepared to teach on your own, then sign up for this course. They are fantastic and I promise this is a decision you won’t regret. What are you waiting for? Sign up!

• Course Instructor

High quality, intensive course!

The Language House's 4-week TEFL certification course was really great. It was difficult, intense, challenging, demanding, stressful, confidence-building, validating, supportive, rewarding and a whole lot of fun. Register for this course only if you're ready to work hard - you can't just coast along on personal charm, this is a serious education! But it was a wonderful experience and it gave me everything I needed to start teaching ESL immediately. Now, I feel confident that I can go to a non-English-speaking country and support myself as an ESL teacher, either independently or as part of a language school. Definitely worth the investment of money, sweat and tears.

The teachers, staff and other students have made my Language House TEFL experience truly incredible. One year later, I'm still successfully teaching English in Prague and meeting amazing new people through the Language House network and events. I wholeheartedly recommend The Language House TEFL certificate course!

2 and a half years later, it's still one of the best experiences of my life

I took The Language House's TEFL course in April of 2015. I had all the reservations I imagine the average American does flying off to another country alone, but The Language House dissolved every concern within hours of my arrival to Prague. They take care of everything for you from the beginning, and exceeded every expectation I had for a transition to a foreign country. As most people have already reviewed the course itself, I'm going to say a few things about my experiences post-course to help reinforce why they should be your choice if you're considering a TEFL degree. I ended up living in Czechia for 2 years after my course finished, and the influence and impact TLH had on my time there was integral to everything I did. They were directly responsible for my first two jobs in the country (a one month intensive course for Russian and Ukrainian students, followed by an English summer camp for second language speakers) and continued hosting events and parties throughout the year that kept me connected with those still in the city and the new students that constantly flow into the school each month. One of my fellow students ended up being my room mate, who ended up joining an improv group consisting of other expats. My social life expanded more rapidly and dramatically than it ever has, and I was never short for something to do or people to see in the city. After my summer camp job ended, I got a job at a private school for a year and eventually transitioned to video game testing before finally moving back to America towards the beginning of 2017. The time I spent in Czechia was the best of my life, and the experience living there has changed the course of my future forever. I plan on leaving the country again, hopefully by the end of 2018, because of the drive for travel and exploration that began there. All of it started with The Language House.

The best decision

The Language House's TEFL Program is second to none. With amazing instructors, rigorous coursework, and a supportive alumni network, I had no worries or issues getting a teaching job afterward. I took the course in May 2016, and am now teaching in South Korea, with many exciting teaching opportunities ahead of me. I always recommend the Language House as the best TEFL program out there.