Great Volunteer Programs—Costa Rica | Guatemala | Peru
MAXIMO NIVEL participants MAXIMO NIVEL participants

Great Volunteer Programs—Costa Rica | Guatemala | Peru

best first volunteering trip!!

I had a great time volunteering with Maximo Nivel, the weather was really good and a shout out to derek for being the best field manager!! my experience was great and I would definitely do another maximo program either in Costa Rica or Guatemala

Excellent experience

It´s really interesting to have this experience with Maximo. I was placed in Corazon de Dahlia for 2 weeks. And the content involved was so great. I tried to introduce my culture while learn the local culture from the project. Those children are so cute and curious about Chinese culture. Meanwhile, the project also helps to improve my Espanol a lot
I love it so well.

C.S. dignidad nacional medical volunteer

The staff was friendly and very helpful with questions or concerns. Even though we began with a serious language barrier the staff never seemed frustrated or annoyed at all. They invited me to every social event that the work staff attended (even black tie events). As an untrained medical personnel, I felt that the work I was asked to do was fair and the staff made a conscious effort so that work was continuously interesting.

Great volunteer experience with Maximo Nivel :)

I had a great experience with volunteering at a Pronoei in a suburb of Cuzco, Peru. I helped the teacher with teaching the kids, aged 3-5 years old, and helped them with completing various exercises and doing homework. I was nervous at first but the kids were very very kind and sweet and I really enjoyed the time I had with them. It was very hard to say good bye!!

Awesome!

i had a great time volunteering in Cusco! The orientation was great because i was able to meet a lot of other volunteers and from then on we were able to meet up every night and explore together!

If you don´t know a lot of Spanish, that is okay, because you pick it up pretty quickly. Being surrounded by Spanish speakers you are sure to learn lots. The programs are very well organized and the field manager is always there for lots of help whenever you need it! Definitely would recommend this program to others!

Stellar experience

The project experience was memorable and we feel we helped the people we served. We worked in childcare and the Andean Immersion. The staff was friendly and accommodations were great. We loved being in Cuszo too.

Amazing experience in Peru - kusi wasi

i can´t believe our week with Maximo is already over! it has been an amazing week here in Cusco working at kusi wasi. the Maximo staff was available for help from start to finish of this project and has been nothing but helpful and amazing. we had a great homestay that was walking distance from the city center and ate some amazing Peruvian food as well! i would highly recommend Maximo Nivel to anyone looking to travel and volunteer. we were totally immersed in the culture here in Peru and i will definitely miss the city and the incredible kids at kusi wasi.

Special needs child care Peru

I only did this project for 1 week so it was a quick placement. It was a very rewarding experience, though, because you can see your impact instantaneously. We worked with a group of about 25 children ranging in age from 6 to 26 at an orphanage. All with varying degrees of skills and abilities. It was amazing to see how happy you can make them just by spending time with them. A simple high five, kicking a soccer ball, nearly anything and their day is made. The house, Kusi Wasi, is quite crowded and seems perhaps under funded so it was overwhelming and obviously very sad at first. After about a day or so I was acclimated and able to enjoy my time with the kids. Definitely recommend!

Really impressed with Maximo

I volunteered through Maximo for 2 months and had a really wonderful experience and was really impressed. They really offer a lot of support and take care of everything, from airport pickup to finding the perfect host family to helping organize weekend trips. I got placed with an NGO in the Sacred Valley ad commuted everyday (it was an after-school program for kids in a rural town). Te volunteer experience was very positive and working with the kids really helped with my Spanish. I would definitely go with them. My host family was SO nice and the food was amazing every night. There is also So much to do in Cusco. One of the best experiences of my life.

Volunteering in Manuel Antonio

My program was situated in a small neighbourhood in Manuel Antonio. Working with the children was so uplifting and such a special experience. Maximo Nivel and the people that I worked with were so supportive and welcoming as well as the family that I lived with.

Working with children, Manuel Antonio

My experience working with children in Manuel Antonio has been absolutely beautiful and it will hold a very special place in my heart forever. Maximo Nivel was very helpful in setting everything up for me with the homestay and transportation and I never felt like I had to worry whether or not they were there for me if needed. I felt secure my entire stay there. I've met so many beautiful people, experienced so many wonderful things, and learned so much about myself in the process. I'm sad to leave it all behind. I will definitely be back one day. Much love for Costa Rica and all it's beauty.

Andean immersion

I had an amazing time in Umasbamba, I loved the family, also got along really well with the 2 other volunteers with me. I would recommend this program to someone who likes to work outside, with animals or with nature.

Cusco, Peru- medical project

This experience was so much more than I imagined! I was only in Cusco for a week, but Maximo Nivel made it one of the best weeks of my life. The staff is incredibly helpful and are there to support you 24/7 before and during your project. I could not have asked for a better, more organized project. As my first time traveling abroad on my own, Maximo Nivel made me feel very safe. I highly recommend this organization to anyone who is looking for a safe, lively, and meaningful trip abroad!

First time to everything

It was a great experience to do my first mission trip and doing this made me sure that i want to do stuff like this whenever I can multiple times. IVHQ has treated me and my friends well by giving extra care and lots of love all the to the end.

Cusco love

I had an amazing experience volunteering. I felt I really made an impact even if it was in the smallest way :). My home placement was amazing I felt it was like being at home and having a mother care about your well being an safety. All the help with the people at Maximo really made me feel safe! Thank you Maximo!

An amazing experiance

I am very glad i decided to come to Peru and volunteer with Maximo Nivel. I got out of my comfort zone and this trip has far exceeded my expectations. I highly recommend volunteering with Maximo and I am already planning my next trip. See you soon!

Sofia

Manuel Antonio working with kids

Maximo Nivel's program in Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica was one of the best experiences I have had. My homestay was fantastic and I truly felt that I became part of the family. The office staff is very helpful and very friendly, and my Spanish classes were fantastic. I worked at a daycare with children ages 0-6, and had a wonderful experience. The children are so sweet and become hard to say goodbye to each day. Also, there are copious activities set up by Maximo Nivel that are a great way to meet other program participants. The only regret I have is not being here long enough - the time went by too quickly!

Some positives, but overall very disappointing

I am torn as I write this,
There are many positive aspects to Maximo Nivel Guatemala, it is just a shame that a few of their practices and some staff ruin it completely. It has been made clear to me that while some lovely people work for Maximo Nivel and it is a relatively well organised company, they are predominantly looking out for themselves while taking advantage of dedicated volunteers.

I have travelled to 23 different countries and volunteered locally in Australia, and internationally in India, Bali, Vietnam, Cambodia and Guatemala to name a few. I have had almost exclusively positive experiences, some of the best times of my life have been volunteering overseas.
I do understand that no where is perfect, however I have never been disappointed until my trip to Guatemala.
I have never received such disgusting treatment as I did from some of the staff at Maximo Nivel, Antigua Guatemala.

I am epileptic, and had the unfortunate, very rare incident of having a seizure in the volunteer accomodation prior to heading off to my program assisting with disabled people in an orphanage.
Maximo Nivel, to its credit arranged to have their doctor visit me, observe me and make sure I was okay.

The following day, I came into the Maximo Nivel office to apologise for any inconvenience caused by my medical condition. It was a rare occurrence that startled me as I had been cleared to travel by my doctor. Instead of receiving a gracious acceptance, I was dragged into the office of their director of International Programs and told that I was a liability and were I to go out at night again as I did the night prior to the incident, I would be exited from the program.

She made an assumption that I was a rowdy irrational person and made me out to be irresponsible, even though there was nothing to suggest that my socialising with volunteers was what made me sick. I had not got drunk that night, and even if I had, she had no right to treat me in such a disgusting manner. I had not been subjected to discrimination of such a degree since I was in my early teenage years.
This was, by a number of definitions harassment. It would not be the first time she has treated volunteers in such an awful way, as I discussed the incident with other people volunteering their time and resources through Maximo Nivel. I shudder to think of how she has treated other volunteers in the past.

I reported the incident to the country manager who could not have been kinder about it. He apologised for her and said he would have a chat with the woman I am referring to, however even then, I never received so much as an apology from her. To me, though I may be assuming here, this is indicative of her not seeing the wrongful manner in which she treated me. The risk here is that she may continue to treat future volunteers in the same hostile and discriminative manner.

It is not solely this incident that has caused me to think poorly of Maximo Nivel Guatemala. I noticed that the volunteer shifts were only 3 hours long. I requested to engage in some longer shifts, perhaps take on some afternoon shifts volunteering also. I noticed the orphanage I was placed at was quite understaffed and if I was going to work there, I wanted to help to the very best of my ability. I was told that I could do that, however I would be charged a significant amount of extra money on top of what I had already paid the company.

Given that the initial set up costs had already been paid, and it would not cost the organisation anything for me to volunteer at a very needy facility a few extra hours, I thought this a pretty disgusting practice. It was doing nothing but taking advantage of dedicated volunteers.
I asked one of the ladies at the front desk where that money was going, and she lied to me, saying that 100% of it went toward their humanitarian budget.
Later, I asked the country manager where the money went. At least he was a decent enough human being to tell me that the money did go to administration staff, although I still think this an appalling practice.

In saying this, many of the staff are very friendly. They are well organised and take the safety of volunteers very seriously. Living is basic, but I felt well looked after at the volunteer house.

Maximo Nivel certainly has some good qualities, but those two incidences simply cannot be overlooked. I am torn as I write this, as some people there are incredibly kind and hard working. It is true that some really do try to help, where as others are selfish, cruel and only trying to scam volunteers.

Life-changing work with children with special needs!

I cannot say enough regarding Maximo, my homestay, my experience with the teachers and children! I enjoyed all of it. It was a life-changing experience. I learned far more than I ever expected. I am ever so grateful for all the friendly faces, smiles, and assistance in communicating.

Volunteering at the dog shelter

My daughter and I enjoyed our experience but were saddened by the lack of funding for the dog shelters. The owners of the shelter were amazing at taking care of so many dogs with so little funding. We actually brought a dog from the shelter back to the U.S. with us! Thanks Carla from Maximo Nivel for all of your help with getting Orajas back to the states for us! My daughter and I had an amazing overall experience and our host family was the best we could have asked for!

Practical medical opportunity

I was so pleased with the medical work that we were able to do in for different parts of Peru. Throughout the time, we were able to see patients, do basic diagnostics, administer shots and even prescribe drugs (with the assistance of a very knowledgeable doctor). This is something that I never would have been able to do back in the United States as merely a premed student. What a cool opportunity this was for all of us.

Maximo Nivel in Cusco

I was initially very nervous to travel to Cusco and participate in the medical project that I had signed up for through my school in Florida. But the Maximo team made our stay so comfortable. When I got sick, our campaign organizer Dominic went with me to the clinic and made sure that I was taken care of. He was always there to help us with any problems we had and I really enjoyed getting to help the people in the community as well. I am excited to keep traveling after this experience!

A life changing, eye opening, and fully engaging experience

As a first time international traveller, I could not have chosen a safer program than with Maximo Nivel. I truly felt supported by the staff during the 6 weeks I spent in Peru, and quickly established a connection to them and my host family. I volunteered with the Special Needs program, and while there were moments that were emotionally straining, I found many opportunities to engage with the residents and grew close bonds during my time there. I also practiced my Spanish, and worked through their tutoring program with an amazing instructor. There are plenty of opportunities to explore Cusco, and the staff can give advice or information when you feel concerned or unsure.
I strongly suggest this program, and if you are like me and have never travelled abroad by yourself before, the Peru program is a great place to start. Thanks to the wonderful staff and program, I will be returning to Peru and work with Maximo Nivel again in the future. For the price, you get every pennies worth, and many stories to tell for the rest of your life.

A life changing, eye opening, and fully engaging experience

I strongly suggest this program, and if you are like me and have never travelled abroad by yourself before, the Peru program is a great place to start. Thanks to the wonderful staff and program, I will be returning to Peru and work with Maximo Nivel again in the future. For the price, you get every penny's worth, and many stories to tell for the rest of your life.

San Judas orphanage

I had a great time volunteering with Maximo Nivel! Everyone was very helpful, and wanted to make sure that our experience was worthwhile. I traveled to Peru to learn about child development in a cultural context as part of my graduate program in dance/movement therapy and counseling, and my time there greatly impacted my learning. I would love to see more psychology students volunteer through Maximo Nivel to enhance their learning and bring programs to the girls in orphanages.