MAXIMO NIVEL participants MAXIMO NIVEL participants

Conservation Projects—Volunteer in Costa Rica!

My amazing experience in Ostional

I lucked out by going to Ostional during the arribada which was absolutely fantastic to see thousands of turtles making their way up the beach. I met fantastic people and i worked alongside dedicated and hard working people. Jairo basically runs Ostional and he is absolutely amazing and kept the place fun and exciting. Anyone would be lucky to work alongside Jairo and all of the team at Ostional.

Top notch experience

I did not go to Costa Rica with any preconceived notions or fantasies about what this volunteer experience would be like, so I was a completely fresh slate who was enthusiastic to get busy and do my part. I left the country completely satisfied with what I able to contribute, given my limited time in-country. Maximo Nivel is a well-oiled machine (although with a few minor, but negligible, flaws), and they set my girlfriend and I up with a great project on the coast where we could be of service.

Verdiazul in Playa Junquillal provided me a great mix of hard work and island chill. The variety of beach patrols, hatchery observations, composting/reforestation, and general housekeeping kept me stimulated and because of the fact, I was able to give them optimal effort on my part to ensure the job is done. Spending time off relaxing on their hammocks, playing with their "adopted" dogs, and beach play were great ways to recuperate after a hard day's work. I'd do it again for sure. Valerie, Joselyn, Allen, Nathan, and the Verdiazul gang are doing good things out there - thanks for the experience.

Playa Junquillal - Verdiazul

I got to stay at Playa Junquillal for three weeks. Which was amazing to say the least. But, also hard.

Be prepared for long walks on the beach- at night. Which that could be anywhere from 3 to 7 hrs long. That's depending on the Turtle and how long she takes to lay the Turtle eggs OR if you can find the nest! Be prepared for beach clean ups, going to the garbage dump and sorting. Be prepared to fall in love with the site and the amazing work that the staff do. Be prepared for the joys of walking up to the howlers (monkeys) outside your window in the morning waking you up. Be prepared for making long lasting friends from all over the world. Be prepared for Pura Vida you feel while being there.

But, also be prepared for the sad end when the time has come to say goodbye to the people you have met and to the place you called home.

This is not for the faint of heart. To get the best feel of this trip is to do it solo. Packing only the essentials and going for as long as you can. I can promise you one thing, once you leave you're going to want to come back the very next day.

Junquillal Turtle conservation

Living condition are alright, food was alright, there could have been more emphasis on teaching us about the turtles and what they do the different species and other biological factors. I also wish I had known that it was low season because it was much slower and mug different work than the high season.

Turtle conservation

I had an amazing time conserving turtles in Ostional! The work that you do is much needed as well as attracting attention and tourism, beneficial to the local surrounding community. It was a very rural project, situated on the coast and staying in dorm style accommodation but I would recommend the digital detox to anybody! The staff at Maximo and at the project are incredibly welcoming and I have made friends and connections for life on this project!

Ostional Turtle Conservation

This was a really amazing volunteer experience. It was cool being able to work so closely with the turtles and had many rewarding moments such as having the opportunity to assist deformed turtles in digging their nests. The accommodations were basic but suitable and the food and company was great! My only complaint is that we didn't get to help much with data analyzation.

Turtle Conservation

Being a volunteer with Maximo Nivel to help the conservation of turtles was a really cool experience. I was able to be up close and personal with the turtles and really understand the hardships that they face.