Work in an Orphanage in the Philippines
Kaya Responsible Travel participant with the locals Kaya Responsible Travel participant with the locals

Work in an Orphanage in the Philippines

As a young traveller, I am truly grateful for the opportunity I’ve had.

I feel that while I was there I made the children’s lives more enjoyable – they may not have received the attention I was able to give them had I not been there.

Would you volunteer again?

Anything else?

As a young traveller, I am truly grateful for the opportunity I’ve had.

Volunteer Experience:
I was working in an orphanage looking after the children. They were adorable and I really value the time I spent with them.

Really great – Ate Joy was amazing and you really feel like a part of the family. It was something I was quite worried about but experiencing the different culture was great and I have also learnt about other parts of the world from other volunteers, which is really nice. Everyone has been lovely and the homestay has a great atmosphere, with people always coming and going.

As heartbreaking as some things are, such as being asked for money by street kids, you have to try and distance yourself – you can’t help everyone. Also do everything you can – from visiting other projects to meeting up with other volunteers, say yes!

Don’t worry about being younger than everyone else – other volunteers will treat you the same and everyone, no matter what age, gets homesick sometimes

Do you feel Kaya were supportive throughout your preparations and during your stay?

Yes. They were great with answering any odd questions I had, no matter how silly, and being checked up on while I was out there was really nice.