Volunteer in Construction and Renovation in Peru - Cusco

Volunteer in Construction and Renovation in Peru - Cusco

Construction in Cusco

Overall, my time volunteering in the construction of a new children's hospital clinic in Cusco has been incredibly rewarding and memorable. Process can be slow at times, but it is a fulfilling experience to see every step taken towards the construction of a new building. The people I worked with were always enthusiastic, and the people at IVHQ were always helpful, especially Derek. Even coming here with an open mind, it's hard to imagine what day to day life would be like in Cusco. My advice to other volunteering is to be helpful, proactive, and cooperative on the worksite, as it's not going to be what it is like at home. The one thing I wish IVHQ did more of is be more open with their budgeting and what money is directly going towards. We pay an extra $65 USD per week exclusively for the construction and renovation project, yet we frequently could not afford materials such as windows and floor tiles. Consequently, this makes volunteering go even slower when you don't have the materials on hand. Regardless, I loved my time volunteering in Cusco and I recommend it to everybody.

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review December 04, 2017 at 2:49 PM

Hi Matt, Thanks for sharing your experience on the Construction and Renovation project. I couldn't agree more with your advise to further volunteers. I thank you again for your feedback and for allowing us to take your reflections on board.
    Andrea - IVHQ Peru Cusco Program Manager