Volunteer in Costa Rica with Green Life Volunteers!
Green Life Volunteers Header Image Green Life Volunteers Header Image

Volunteer in Costa Rica with Green Life Volunteers!

Beautiful experience

Janina, the program coordinator is one of the most gentle, caring and hard working souls I have ever encountered. Her love of animals and her stamina is truly inspiring. She took me to visit dogs in foster homes, pick up dogs from the vet and help her coordinate a fundraiser for her animal rescue. It's nice to see that there are people doing real work with such love and care.

Turtle conservation program

Definitely a great experience to have in life. The slow-pace tropical life made everything become so relaxing. I enjoyed every second of my two weeks in Costa Rica. Spending time laughing with friends while leaning away from social media; Interacting with nature while feeling her power; watching over turtles, learning the stories of their species, and amazed by their energy and life journey.

When I was so closed into nature, I truly felt I was a part of it; a part of the sky, ocean, and forests that surrounded me. This sense of involvement cannot be found in cities, and therefore it became the most rewarding and unique aspect of this journey. 6 weeks into my routine college life I still can't help combing back through my memories in Romelia Montezuma, Costa Rica, for it has the nicest people, cutest baby turtles and purest life.

Volunteer for sea turtle conservation program

I spent two weeks working at Refugio Romelia for sea turtle conservation program with my friends in December 2016. It was my first time doing the volunteer program, and it was such a great experience. Refugio Remelia was located near Montezuma, and we had to walk about 30 min from the town. The refugio was quite lovely, and all the staffs there were very nice and helpful. Jennifer was the manager, and she told us a lot about sea turtles. Our work was basically keeping watch on the hatchery, and released the baby turtles after they were born. We had the opportunity to over 200 baby turtles, and released to the ocean in the early morning. We had so much fun there, and we saw many animals that we hadn't seen before. The food there was also pretty good. It was really a once in the lifetime experience, and I have to thank Janina for answering all the questions before we got there, and Jennifer and other staffs in Refugio Romelia. I highly recommend this program!

Solar power project with GLV

If you are like me who is passionate about renewable energy and wouldn't mind some dirt and work, then this program is just for you. Overall, it had been a very hands-on learning journey at the beautiful Osa Peninsula.

Looking back at the program, the one thing that made it such a memorable experience was how well it was organized by Janina, the owner of Green Life Volunteer. The lectures were packed with both technical information and troubleshooting experiences taught by very experienced professionals in the PV installation industry. Outside of work, it was a full cultural immersion opportunity. Janina made sure to balance work with fun by taking us onto various eye opening adventures, some only known to the residents of the peninsula. And the most memorable part of the journey was that we were able to apply our knowledge to help bring electricity to a small elementary school that went 40 years without power. It was truly a once in a life time experience; I was glad that I was a part of the change, and I will definitely consider joining the program again next year. Pura Vida!

My internship experience with GLV

I spent two months interning in Green Life Volunteers. While I am now sitting down and looking back what I had been through in the past days, I would say it is a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Janina is a super awesome person who helped accommodating me in a local family when I first came and kept informing me of some interesting events around the town. Meanwhile I find myself learned a lot from this internship. Since I had been living with locals I had to practice my Spanish and tried to immerse myself in the Tico culture. I also learned how to edit videos, promote programs, and improve the web design. This skills may not be relevant with my major, but I find it quite interesting to learn something fresh and it keeps me being an active learner which indeed is a treasure.

Being an intern means I have more time to explore the new world. Luckily I had a chance to stay a couple of days in a remote farm up a mountain with my host family. It is unforgettable. Up there I tried to milk the cow, make original chocolate, and ride a horse. The host family is super accommodating and friendly. Especially Teresa, the mom in the family, kept taking good care of me. Sometimes I felt bored about the local food, she would assist me cooking some traditional food in my country. It means a lot to me! I feel so lucky to live with them and the living experience worths to be remembered.

Two months, though sounds quite long, actually is a glimpse in time being an intern with Janina. For me this internship is highly rewarding and I sincerely appreciate all of the help from my friends, the host family, and the locals.

Greenlife solar project

An absolutely fantastic experience. Amazingly informative on the practical aspects of solar, while at the same time extremely rewarding and helpful to the host community. I actually got to see the lights go on in a school house that had been powerless for forty years. Mixed with the project was an absolutely amazing adventure, got to experience the wonderful biodiversity of the Osa, from monkeys and dolphins to you name it, and enjoy the exciting nightlife, salsa dancing in the local bars and relaxing with a beer on the beach. As well, the small structure of GL volunteers means that it relies highly on local businesses and all the funding goes directly into the community. Above and beyond expectations in reward and fun! Janina is the best!

Also, I was put in a host family on the beach with tropical scarlet macaws serenading me on my way to the workshops. Couldn't recommend enough.

Solar power project

I participated in the 2-week solar power workshop in June 2016. I came to the workshop with a general interest in clean energy and a desire for an immersive travel experience. Such a great opportunity to connect with locals and other program participants.

In addition to learning all things solar (theory, system design and maintenance, and how to build a panel using cosmetically defective cells), I made chocolate from start to finish on an off-grid farm, practiced my Spanish with the locals, hiked to a waterfall in Matapalo, volunteered at a local butterfly farm, surfed, kayaked, went horseback riding, and observed an abundance of wildlife (dolphins, monkeys, toucans, scarlet macaws, and crocodiles to name a few).

Green Life Volunteers does an excellent job of balancing work and play. My experiences were life changing and I wish I could have stayed longer!

Parismina turtles

I had such a wonderful time during my month's stay in Costa Rica. Janina was so wonderful in helping me prepare before I left for Costa Rica and every step of the way. She was so reliable and helpful the entire time I stayed and I never felt once that I was alone, even though I did travel by myself. The program itself was incredible. I got the chance to see dozens of turtles, assist in gathering eggs, transcribing information, transporting eggs to the hatchery as well as assist when newborn turtles hatched. It was the most rewarding experience of my life. I was surrounded by many other wonderful volunteers, an amazing host family, and project leaders and community organizers that made me feel at home. It was truly a home away from home during my month stay. I will definitely volunteer again.

Green Life Turtle Protection Volunteering Program - A true return to nature

This volunteering program is a really fantastic one. I learned that turtle eggs stealing in Costa Rica used to be very prevalent, but not now. I am glad that Green Life Volunteers did a great job in protecting the endangered species and make a valuable contribution of nature. Although the living experience is the one I never had before (tough conditions), but it is pith of being a part of nature! I talked to other volunteers from countries all over the world and it was a great time working with them. It was a honor to participate in this program and observe the birth of holy lives, one of the most precious species in the world (Olive Ridley).