CIEE Summer Language and Culture in Palma de Mallorca
CIEE CIEE

CIEE Summer Language and Culture in Palma de Mallorca

A summer to remember

Hi! My name is Carly and I studied in Palma in summer 2016. I was abroad for two months- one in Dublin and one in Palma, and I can tell you that I wished I had stayed another term in Palma. There is something about the sunshine, the city, and the friends you quickly make that make this place feel like home.
When I look back at my time spent in Palma I am so thankful, and I wish I could go back for just one more day. But the beautiful thing about it is that I can't, it will forever be a memory that I cannot duplicate. I met some really special people in Palma, both in my program and outside of my program.
I was studying tourism in Palma, while most others were studying Spanish. So, if you are planning to come to Palma and you know little Spanish, do not worry. Antonia and others are there to help you, as well as teach you a little bit about the language as you go. If you are studying Spanish, you will have an amazing time being able to communicate with the locals and improve your Spanish! All of the teachers are very caring, and they understand that you are new to the country. I enjoyed my class here in Palma very much. Perre is the best!
One thing that I regret was not getting to know my homestay family more. She was not home often, so it wasn't my fault, but I do wish I had made a greater effort to spend time with them. It was a really special thing to have someone open up their home to you. I still remember the view from my bedroom window. It was bittersweet to say goodbye to the place you called home the past month.
One recommendation that I have to anyone studying in Palma is to PREPARE! Before you arrive, do your research on where you want to visit, what you want to do, the foods you want to try. Because when you are there it seems like time is flying and it is harder to make set in stone plans. So do as much as possible! Make the most of everyday, and fill it with what YOU want to do. Try not to let others constantly tell you where to go and what to do. It is your trip, and you deserve to enjoy it.
Lastly, I just want to say that Antonia and Kara were truly angels on this trip. I do not know what I would do without them. They helped me to feel safe and comfortable when I was halfway across the world, so, thank you so much!
Anyone and everyone should travel abroad while they are young and have the chance. And if you chose to do so, please choose Palma! You will fall in love with the beaches, the cobble stone streets, and the people around you.
#choosePalma

Palma 2015

I studied abroad in Palma de Mallorca during the Summer of 2015, and it was a summer that changed my life. I didn't feel that my Spanish was anything to brag about when I left the US, but my experience in Palma gave me more confidence and experience than I ever could have imagined. The staff at CIEE, specifically Antonia, gave me all of the support and guidance I could ask for, while still allowing me to learn from my mistakes. My host mom, Catalina, was a joy to live with, and taught me so much about the culture and language that I truly felt like I was a part of her family. She took me to a dance class in the city and invited me to dinner with her friends. There was always plenty to do in and around Palma - riding bikes along the beach, nights out at the Ruta Martiana, climbing Bellver Castle, taking the train to Soller, or a weekend trip to Paris! My summer in Palma de Mallorca taught me so much and made me feel much more confident in my Spanish speaking abilities. I loved Spain (and Palma) so much that I returned to study in another part of Spain the following semester, and brought my mom to Palma so she could see how beautiful it was. I would highly recommend studying abroad in Palma through CIEE. It was the scariest, most educational and inspiring summer I have had to date.

Palma de Mallorca: finding my new home

My name is Dakota Tangredi, and I recently studied abroad in Palma de Mallorca during Summer 2016. I was involved in the program for two terms (8 weeks total from June to August), but visited Barcelona and came back to Palma before flying home during my 9th week outside of the program. As an Environmental Science major, I was initially attracted to the program because they offered a Marine Biology Course which could be applied to my major course work. From the beginning of my application to the end of my experience in Palma, I was so fortunate to be supported from all angles: by my Palma study abroad family, Antonia my coordinator, my wonderful professors, and my home-stay dad, Carlos. When I arrived in Palma, I was incredibly nervous, but Antonia made me feel at home, and began to challenge my Spanish-speaking abilities almost immediately, engaging with me in Spanish conversation and getting to know me on a very personal level. During the week of orientation that followed, I was introduced to an incredible group of students who had previously studied abroad with CIEE in Gronigen and Dublin. Over the next 4 weeks, this group came to be my family away from home. We did everything together, hiked, explored, enjoyed night life, and spent quality time as a group through excursions put together by guardian angels and CIEE staff. The course work was a wonderful addition, as my Marine Biology class was able to snorkel and swim in the beautiful natural areas Mallorca has to offer. The professors were engaged, knowledgeable, and had substantial experience in academia as well as the program itself. In terms of my homestay (I highly recommend this housing option if you would like to develop your Spanish-speaking ability), Carlos was understanding and accepting of my dietary needs (vegetarian), and came to be my support system when I felt homesick or needed an ear to bend. Outside of the program I was able to be very independent and explore different towns in Mallorca. The bus system is easy to use, and the Island is very accessible. Not to mention, flights in Europe were cheap, and offered a great way to travel to different countries while I was in the program. The second four weeks of my experience were more intimate as the group shrunk from 20 members to 5. Although I missed the students from the previous program, I was able to further refine my Spanish in the Spanish course I took, and the intimate class size helped me improve substantially. I loved the program because the culture fit my personality. I'm laid back, and enjoy community and collective activity. The program lends itself to this type of interaction, and Spanish culture is very complimentary to group-bonding. As a result, Mallorcan people are kind, and fun to be around. Just like any abroad experience, your success in the program and appreciation for travel is set by how much you invest. I got a lot out of the program because I took up CIEE on the multiple opportunities they offered, and pushed myself to be uncomfortable and grow as an individual. That being said, Antonia, and the wonderful group I was lucky enough to meet made my amazing experience possible. And for that, I'm forever grateful.

Abrazos y paz,

-Dakota

My study abroad experience in Palma

I absolutely loved my time in Palma! The program is small, so you really develop a close relationship with all of your classmates, teachers, and program administrators. My host family was phenomenal as well. Palma is an incredibly unique city; of course it offers the culture of Spain with a Mediterranean touch, but there are numerous cultures from all over Europe that come to Palma as well. There were always plenty of activities going on around the island, and I always felt safe there. I would highly recommend this program to anyone looking for a tight-knit study abroad community in an incredibly diverse and beautiful city.