Teaching & Youth Development, Cape Town South Africa
Volunteers and local kids playing Volunteers and local kids playing

Teaching & Youth Development, Cape Town South Africa

Cassandra Westover

This program allowed me to see two different worlds within one city. I was able to get the most out of my 10 days here as well as help out in communities in need. Even though my stay was short, I felt I was able to make a difference in many children's lives.

African Impact

Excellent program- very engaged, happy and generous leaders. I had an excellent stay and saw a lot of the city even though it was a short one week visit. The coordinators were very nice and helping throughout the entire project.

Volunteer teaching in South Africa

Coming into the trip I was quite nervous and not knowing exactly what to expect, from the moment I arrived I was warmly greeted by the team and fellow volunteers which made the start of my trip amazing. Throughout the experience I felt that I encountered many personal and community challenges along with experiencing a new culture which caused me to find out so much more about myself and what goals I have for the future. Overall I was able to travel across the world and undertake a project that I could personally see have an impact on communities in need, I have seen how people with such little in life can be thankful for just my time and attention which makes me appreciate the things I take for granted, and I have also formed friendships for life with my fellow volunteers which I will cherish! I could not have asked for a better experience in the end and I am already looking forward to the next journey that I will undertake.

Exactlr what I wished for!

Unfortunately I've had only one week of volunteering, but with African Impact It was exactly what I wished it would be!
I was looking for something that will open my mind, and introduce me to a whole new world, and to a new reality.
And I wanted it to be as authentic as it can be, even if it's hard for me to watch or even understand some things, I wanted to see, feel and live it the way it is,
Luckily I found African Impact, and they made my wishes to come true,
My volunteering project was and amazingly honest experience, and me and me fellow volunteers were given the opportunity to be involved in the work as much as we want.
The African Impact crew that I have met on this project were all supportive and helpful the whole time, and actually any time I needed them.
I was provided with excellent living conditions, the volunteer house is clean and tidy, great for living and there's enough space for everyone, and it the housekeeping staff is amazingly helpful.
The free evenings and the weekends, on which we can decide by ourselves what we would like to do are very important, they are good for each volunteer on their own and the whole volunteer house as a group, as we all can plan together or in smaller groups and can still travel as we like.
I've had only one week With African Impact, but it definitely change the way I look on to volunteering, and I am definitely coming back.
Thank you.

A month of memories

In 2016 I decided I wanted to graduate high school early and spend time volunteering. From several hours of extensive research through several volunteer programs, I finally discovered African Impact. From several months of planning back and forth with the African Impact team, I finally booked a month long trip to become a teaching volunteer in Cape Town, South Africa. I didn't know what to expect upon my arrival, but once I made it to the Lion House, I was forever changed. As a teaching volunteer I spent my mornings at two schools in communities in Cape Town. I also spent my afternoons at a program called Grandmother's Against Poverty and Aids (GAPA). I had free time on the weekends and nights to see what Cape Town had to offer. My time as a volunteer was truly wonderful. I made memories with the staff, other volunteers and students that will last a lifetime. I highly encourage anyone who is looking to volunteer, to volunteer with African Impact.

What a great time

Had an amazing time on African Impact and found everyone really helpful and can see why it's needed in the community. I feel like I made a difference and am going to miss the kids loads especially in gapa the work they do they is amazing and the mamas are so friendly and kind and to sum up it was a blast and shame we didnt come for longer.

2 weeks volunteering in Cape Town which has changed my life forever

I obviously felt really nervous before i arrived at the house and met everyone however within the first 10 minutes of arriving all my nerves had gone away. Vicki, Alice, Dan and Jess at African Impact could not have made me feel more at home and welcomed us with open arms. I was volunteering for teaching at 2 different preschools in the morning and then we went to GAPA in the afternoons. Just seeing the children with massive smiles on their faces each day and greeting you with big hugs is probably the best thing you could ask for. We started with the very start of a new year/ term so had a lot of new children who had just started preschool for the first time so for the first couple of days it was more about getting to know the children and their level of understanding of english, games, songs etc..
We worked very closely with the teachers at the preschools and the Grandmas at GAPA so you build a special connection as you all have the same goals.
The 2 weeks went way too fast and if i could stay longer then i would have 100% all the volunteers or my family as i call them were just amazing, we all got along so well so it is extremely sad saying goodbye to everyone as you all become so close so quickly. I really could not recommend volunteering enough as it has really changed my life forever and something i will never ever forget. I am already figuring out when i can return next. Thank you African Impact for such a memorable experience.

Two weeks volunteering in Cape Town

I was lucky enough to spend two weeks volunteering in Cape Town through African Impact.
It has been an amazing opportunity to explore and understand some of the townships in the wider Cape Town area, and to meet and be involved with community groups that are doing good in these areas.
African Impact does an amazing job at ensuring the projects are sustainable, and focused on sharing information meaning that these groups and the people involved can continue the work. AI offers amazing support to these communities and it's very humbling to see the difference this organisation makes through it's hard work. I feel very lucky to have had this opportunity.
As well as supporting the local communities, the AI team supports its volunteers and helps them to feel comfortable and confident in their role. As a volunteer I have felt like a member of the AI family and the wider community.
I'm so sad to be leaving, two weeks has gone so fast and has not been long enough. I look forward to coming back.

African Impact + YiPSA, perfect partnership!

Working for YiPSA, but living with and being part of the African Impact family has been the perfect interning experience. I have enjoyed every second and even though at times it was hard work, it was all so worth it. 3 months have flown by and I only wish I could stay for longer.

A life changing six weeks!

It is difficult to sum up my time with African Impact. I could use every superlative possible and it probably wouldn't come close to explaining how being part of this organisation, even for a short time makes you feel. It is accurate to say that you instantly feel part of a family and that even includes the staff. They manage to combine being professional with making you feel safe, supported and even loved. They exude constant positivity and have an enthusiasm about the work which is catching. I can't sing their praises enough and can honestly say that they really do add a huge amount to the whole experience. As for the volunteering itself, (whilst tougher than I naively anticipated) it is the most rewarding, amazing experience. I split my time between two different preschools and an after school club. All three were filled with inspiring people and I genuinely felt like the work we were doing was adding value to both the teachers and children. I chose African Impact because they stressed that they were a charity based on the foundation of sustainable volunteering and this is something I was very concerned about when choosing which organisation to volunteer with. After being here and seeing how they operate, I now know that this is not an idle promise. Everything we do is based on being sustainable, from the inflow and outflow of volunteers, to the resources we use and the activities we do. This means that the children and organisations we work with are not impacted by the amount of time we volunteer. Six weeks felt like the perfect amount of time for me (although I could definitely be here longer). It allowed me to see the genuine impact of the work I was doing and create true bonds with everyone I worked with. The only negative (or maybe positive) of the whole experience is that I am now reassessing my whole life back home!! True happiness is not having money, it is feeling fulfilled at a deeper level and this experience can offer you that and more.

My great volunteer adventure in Cape Town with the best organisation, African Impact

Someday you will get to the point where you want to do something else other than a beach holiday. Well, I came to this point and decided to do volunteer work. My father was born in Africa, Pretoria and he lived for 15 years in Cape Town. So South Africa has always been special to me. When I arrived in Cape Town, tired of my flight and Vicki gave me a big huge I already loved it here. To come in a house with 30 other volunteers and sharing all the same mindset gives you immediately a feeling of welcome. My first project afternoon at GAPA was awesome! The kids were so open, gave me hugs and make you feel very welcome. After my first week, I felt more comfortable in leading activities. Especially after the first planning afternoon. You'll get involved in the planning and there is enough freedom for your own ideas. When one of your activities turned out well at the project and you see the kids enjoying is when you become most confident. Knowing that you give these children a good time and also be able to teach them things is all I wanted to achieve when I signed up for volunteering. Beside the different communities with lovely people, Cape Town will give you more. For example hiking Table Mountain, having dinner at Camps bay, shopping at Waterfront or tasting the best wines. African Impact gave me the opportunity to see both sides of Cape Town and I feel lucky for this. Sharing my love for children with other volunteers in this beautiful city, turned out to be the best thing I have ever done. I've had the time of my life!!

The Happy Africa internship

Rather than going straight to college, I decided to take a year to pursue interests that I wasn't able to explore in high school. I wasn't entirely sure what to expect of my three months in South Africa. Yet, reflecting back on it now as my stay in the Lion House comes to an end, this experience has exceeded my expectations in every way possible. As an intern with the Happy Africa Foundation, I got the incredible opportunity to work both in the office and on the projects. Through this, I gained in depth perspective as to how an organization like this operates and a heightened appreciation for those who make it happen.

Perhaps the most unique aspect of the internship was that it was tailored to encompass the personal goals that I wished to achieve while I was here. We crafted a plan early on that would allow me to both showcase my strengths and develop my weaknesses. Through mentorship and guidance, I met every goal that I had hoped to achieve. I can say that I am leaving much more confident— not only in my professional skills, but also on a personal level. If you are considering this internship, know that you have my soundest and strongest recommendation. Between the incredible people you live with, the colorful city of Cape Town, and the endless support of the staff, it is an experience that will stick with you for the rest of your life.

3 months of volunteering

I have enjoyed my stay in Cape Town very much. Volunteering has also been great, but room for improvement. There need to be better preparation for the volunteers to the projects before going. There need to be better communication with the local staff - the partners. And i feel like it would help the organisation and the experience of volunteering if the AI staff would be more honest about the conditions and the issues. When you are here for 3 months you find out that the AI staff isn't necessarily better informed than you are. So sometimes it is very unclear what is expected of you on project and what your actual job is. It is a shame, for a lot of it can be done simply by preparing the volunteers better before going and during their stay. Making sure there is a proper introduction to the local staff on the projects. To me the key of a successful experience is the communication and partnership with the local staff. A lot of the experience is up to you and your engagement, which I think is fine. But for the same reason i think that the organisation should have a minimum stay of 4 or at least 3 weeks. Make it clear to the ones who are looking for an organisation, that it is hard work to be a volunteer and it requires all of you energy. Many of the volunteers i have seen come and go during my time, clearly thought of it as an vacation, which it is not. It is a full time job, and should be considered as one. This should be made more clear to the ones looking for organisations to volunteer with.
Other than that i have had an amazing experience. It is indeed very intense and you don't really process all the impressions, before the trip is over. I do think that the projects are very meaningful and makes and actual difference. The only thing that needs is general structure and a more straight forward communication with our partners. I have heard of and experienced several projects where local staff hasn't showed up on a given day. I think the policy of AI should be - If you are not on project, then we will go home. This is necessary if you want a sustainable partnership and development of the projects.

Experience of a lifetime

To find the correct and most suited words to truly explain my experience is extremely difficult. It has been the most life-changing experience. Meeting the most amazing people, seeing the most beautiful places and of course last but not least, the children. As a student studying teaching in Australia I was eager to get stuck into my teaching project and disperse my knowledge and help where I could. I could not have imagined in my wildest dreams how incredible this project was. Meeting the students, planning lessons, coordinating with the school teachers and of course delivering the lessons. From the minute I arrived at the Lion House, I knew that I was going to have an incredible time. The house was buzzing, full of energy and enthusiasm from the staff and other volunteers. I was welcomed instantly and after one day I felt like part of the team. The staff are incredible role models and were the greatest support during my entire experience. Not only were they supportive on project but every part of my time, including weekend activity planning. I have learned more in the past three weeks than I have in three years back home. This was honestly the most incredible experience. Living with 20 other people sounded pretty scary at first but the Lion House accommodates us all and we became a family so quickly. I can guarantee that I will be returning to this amazing project, this incredible place and the most inspiring children.

A once in a life time experience with African Impact!

My volunteer experience with the African Impact organisation was like nothing I could of imagined, it was amazing. During my time in South Africa all the staff made me feel very welcomed and comfortable. I volunteered on the Teaching project in Cape Tow, during this program I worked with some amazing people in the community of Khayelitsha. The GAPA project that works with the grandmothers to provide a safe after school care environment for the children was such an inspiring program to be apart of and the knowledge and bond you grow with the grandmothers and the children were incredible. Teaching in 2 different schools in Khayelitsha was an incredible experience to gain and the children were amazing and I learnt many life changing skills that will be great in my future endeavors as I am at university studying Education. After spending 3 weeks on the programs I have learnt so much knowledge about the culture and the background information about the townships in Cape Town. The programs were all full of fun, singing, dancing and teaching which made everyday memorable and fun. I would advise anyone to take the opportunity to volunteer with African Impact as it is a life changing experience and you learn a lot about a different culture but also learn so much about yourself. I loved every moment of this experience and cant wait to come back.

Young In Prison internship with African impact

My time with Young In Prison and African Impact has been an amazing experience. I have different things to say about both organisations so I will begin talking about Young In Prison. The work and mission that Young In Prison stand for is incredible, I have worked every day with boys between the ages of 10-25 who have been in conflict with the law, and are either in prison, a correctional school or in the Young In Prison 'Post release' programme (for boys who have been released from prison). During my time here I have worked to teach life skills to the boys, for example communication and empathy skills. As well as teaching these skills I have also implemented practical lessons, for example setting up email addresses, arranging work experience and teaching interview skills. I have taken it for granted in life how well equipped I have been in these areas of life. To watch young people grow and learn everyday is the most rewarding thing that you could do, it makes it more special that these young men are from a very difficult life circumstance. To see someone who has had it so tough, work so hard to better their life and change themselves is inspiring and I couldn't recommend it enough. The only trouble I had was with the organisation of Young In Prison, at the start of my internship it was very disorganized however this matter has now been fixed and I have faith that there would be no problems in a future internship here. My advice would be to find out exactly what responsibilities you will be taking before you get here, and also ask about the cultural differences in the workplace i.e. male dominance (I didn't know these things so some male staff members have found it difficult to understand the way I work).
In regards to African Impact, the organisation really is amazing. The staff members are friendly and welcoming, I have felt very well informed throughout my whole trip. Dan especially has gone the extra mile to help me, the organisation of my internship was rocky at the start (Fault of Young In Prisons, not African Impact) and he made me feel calm and helped me every day, whatever I needed. The staff do everything they can to keep you safe, from giving good advice to being on call if you are in an emergency at the weekend. The volunteer house is amazing, we have wonderful housekeepers who keep our house lovely, they cook for us and they're the kindest people I've ever known. I could not recommend African Impact or working for an organisation like Young In Prison enough.

4 amazing weeks

I spent 1 month volunteering in a teaching project and had an absolutely amazing time. Meeting new people, work with lovely persons/children, having fun are just a few of things you will experience. And I also learned a lot about myself. I'm so glad I came to South Africa and volunteer here, I recommend it to everyone!! So if you have the opportunity come and enjoy an amazing time and experience a lot of different things.

Sarah's Cape Town review

I absolutely loved my experience in Cape Town. It is an incredible mix between a beautiful city as well as millions of people who truly need volunteers help. Two weeks is definitely not long enough, and I wish I was staying at least a month. I met amazing people from all over the world. Teaching the preschools was my favorite part of volunteering. I felt genuinely needed and appreciated every day. Planning each lesson was also a highlight, because you see how much your ideas impact these children's education. The weekends are amazing! My only complaint was the fact that there was extremely minimal free time, so in two weekends I had a very hard time cramming in all the activities in only 4 days.

My personal experience

Overall, a fantastic experience. Having come to the continent in search of direct exposure to South Africa as an emerging market as well as, its poverty and hardship. Considering that in the latter part of my working life I would like to work in development, I feel that African Impact has given me a huge platform of education to learn from with regards to exposure to the culture, community and history.

Family volunteer vacation

From start to finish, the folks at African Impact were super supportive made us feel welcome. They were accommodating to our needs. My only regret is that we only had four days in Cape Town. It was a tremendous experience and added another dimension to our holiday.My Children will not soon forget their experience and the wonderful people they worked with. My 10 year old son loved his time with the students and is looking forward to coming back in high school. Thanks to the African Impact for an amazing experience.

My favorite place to volunteer

I volunteered with African Impact in Cape Town, South Africa for 5 weeks and I have genuinely loved every minute of it. One of the most amazing things about my experience is the sense of family I felt with African Impact and the other volunteers. Some friendships of course are stronger than others but I can honestly say I have made a few lifetime friends and I hold that very close to my heart. The young children I worked with teaching also touched my heart in a way I wasn't expecting. The amount of pure joy and happiness they come to school with everyday is truly breathtaking and makes you re-evaluate your priorities and appreciate the simple things in life. They amazed me with the compassion they would show one another if a child got injured; it was impossible to not smile when I would see one kid walk over and wipe the tears from another kid and give him/her a hug to make them feel better. Everything about this experience has surpassed any and all expectations I had coming into this program and if you're on the border about doing a trip like this-- stop thinking and JUST DO IT! I PROMISE you, you will be the happiest person if you do. I wish I didn't have to go back to work and could stay longer, it's been amazing.

Wouldn't change a thing...

I would recommend South Africa, African Impact and teaching to anyone, any day. I've had the most amazing experience on and off project and it's been everything I hoped my first trip would be and more.

More than a volunteer experience

I came to Cape Town with the idea of helping the children here, but after a week I realized it was much more than that. The experiences and memories I have from day to day with the kids are wonderful and I will remember forever. We taught them things in school, but they taught us to see the world differently.

My 6 weeks as a teaching volunteer

Living in a family-like environment and working together in the communities is a very rewarding experience. Being involved in many areas makes this volunteering experience absolutely memorable and it makes me want to come back.

African Impact is an amazing experience that I will treasure forever

First off, I would like to thank African Impact for making me feel so comfortable and welcome. It really is like having a family away from home. The teaching project offers an amazing opportunity to work as a team with other lovely volunteers and achieve a vast amount of goals. I highly recommend this experience!