Sports & Community Development, Livingstone Zambia
Volunteers and local kids playing Volunteers and local kids playing

Sports & Community Development, Livingstone Zambia

Sports and community development, Zambia

It was a great experience in an amazing country. All the staff were very welcoming and were able to answer any questions. The programs run in the morning and the afternoon were both very good and allowed me to try new things as well as being involved with areas of interest.

African Impact Livingstone

This experience was so much more than I even hoped for. Before I came here I was worried about whether I would feel like I was actually making a difference, and I realize now how wrong I was to worry. Getting to interact with Zambia's people everyday has been so rewarding and I've loved being able to see the kids I work with improve each week. The other volunteers were so helpful and welcoming when I got here and it's been awesome getting to have discussions with each other and learn about everyone's countries.

Ultimate volunteering adventure

The opportunity to come to Zambia and volunteer through the Sports and Recreation Program was everything I expected it to be and more. Interacting with the community, and its members, on such an intimate scale provided me with an unbelievable opportunity to experience the country of Zambia for what it really is; an underdeveloped country that is certainly up and coming. Things you wouldn't normally see as a tourist, such as the daily financial and health difficulties that are so common, really help you realize the impact that an individual volunteer can make on a community. Bonding with children that grew up with an entirely different childhood than I experienced and giving them a temporary break from reality through sports has arguably been the greatest experience of my life. Realizing that you are a mentor to these children and that you can make their days by simply putting a smile on their faces is an indescribable feeling. A truly rewarding and life-changing experience.

My best experience in Africa so far!

This is my third volunteer experience in Africa and whilst I loved all three, this one stands out as a clear favourite for me. Every single member of the staff here is so fantastic, incredibly friendly and clearly very passionate not just about what they do, but about the impact and difference being made in the lives of locals that are reached out to. The structure of the days meant that I never felt too overwhelmed with too much work on a project at any one time and was able to fully enjoy each day. There is a lot to do and to see here and this project gives you a chance to experience it all. It's amazing, challenging and inspiring to see just how much can be done with so little resources. I wish I was staying much longer and had more of a chance to see more of what's being done here.

African Impact sports volunteer

True and long lasting happiness comes from what you give, not from what you get. If you truly want to master the art of fulfilment, you have to come to Livingston, Zambian with African Impact. Staff members and the Zambian community will make you feel at home. Lots of young kids are waiting for people like you. Be ready to change their lives.

Amazing experience

I was a volunteer for 8 weeks on the Sports & Community Development Project. Such an amazing project because the children in school normally don't have P.E. I felt I could actually make an impact by teaching sports and teamwork and talks about health. Besides the Sports project, the overall experience was amazing, the country, the people, the food, everything is good!

Amazing time in Livingstone

Had an amazing time here in Livingstone. The volunteer work was way above my expectations, and the kids were amazing. Well organised, and had a lot of fun during projects and after. Really felt like I was making a difference.

Volunteer project at Livingstone

Hi, my name is Luc and I am from France, I have been at Livingstone for one month on the sport project. Those four weeks were the best of my life. I made a lot of friends with this project and I don't want to come back in France.

Filippo African Impact

I came to Africa for four weeks to work on the sports and coaching project. My time here was amazing. It was filled with lots of new friendships, adventures and good food. The staff of African Impact made this month great.

Loving Livingstone!

The staff at African Impact in Livingstone are so helpful, loving, and friendly! They not only assist with volunteer activities but help you plan weekend trips (and often go on those trips with you!).

8 weeks in livingstone

8 weeks in Livingstone, Zambia. It’s been an amazing experience. My first week I had to adapt and I learned a lot about the local culture here. We even did a cultural day where we learned about the local greetings, traditions and the ladies in the kitchen even made us a local lunch with a lot of stuff that i never ate before. I can’t say that i liked everything but it was worth trying.
I met a lot of new people during my stay here, made some awesome friends from Israel, the USA, the Netherlands, Ireland, New Zealand, … I made some local friends here as well that i will never forget.
I did loads of activities like Chobe safari for a whole weekend. That was by far the best weekend i ever had in my entire life. And i haven’t even spoken about my actual volunteering work here. I worked in 3 different schools on the sports project teaching these kids some physical education. I’m amazed how much these kids wanna learn. My favorite student was Promise. A boy from 17 who needed to walk 1 hour to school and had to take care of a little brother and a little sister. Still he is always there and he is so well behaved. We raised with the volunteers money and gave him a bike and a lock. Now it takes him 15 minutes to get to school.
Every Thursday afternoon i went to the local rugby club and coached the girls team. I definitely made my impact there. They learned on a fun way how to tackle, ruck, presenting the ball, passing. They improved a lot in a short time. After a while i started to know every girl and they are so motivated which makes it all even more fun.
I'm really gutted that i have to leave al these amazing people behind but i will come back here. That’s for sure!

Amazing

My time here was amazing. The experience, the people you meet, and the children are just really amazing.

Livingstone is a place and I definitely want to come back. I definitely want to work again with African impact in the future.

Jen's African Impact experience

Had an absolutely amazing time in Livingstone with African Impact. The team were all fantastic so welcoming and always around to help out with any questions i had. The whole time i was there it was school holidays so instead of a normal school day we were running the Holiday Club programme, which was really well organised and provided us with a great variety of activities to run with the kids. I was on the sports programme but to be honest my favourite part was the teaching which we were able to take part in in the afternoon projects. Only negative is that 3 weeks in not long enough!!

2 weeks with African Impact

Working 2 weeks as a volunteer for African Impact was a great experience. The diversity of the projects let us help the local citizen in many different ways. The housing and the food was really good and the availability of different excursions, safaris let us also know more about the country and the local citizen.

The lovely Livingstone

Second time that I came to volunteer with African Impact in Livingstone, Zambia.
It was definitely as good as my first time volunteering.
The staff is really nice and always up for some fun.
The projects are super nice and the community is so lovely, friendly and welcoming.
you will get to know them very fast.
And just overall experience was a blast and definitely recommended for everybody.

Everyone should do it

My stay here in Zambia has been amazing. As a volunteer you'll get so appreciated by the kids you're teaching but also by the teachers and coaches you'll be working with. I've met people from all around the world and made a lot of new friends.

Gabriel's dream

My experience was amazing, if I could stay a couple of more weeks, I will. The program with Africa Impact was unbelievable, one of my dream has been realised, and in better conditions than I though. I am very happy that I've been part of this project and I will definitely do it again in an another country.

Sport project and holiday club

This was one of the greatest experience of my life. I feel very close to the kids and the people I met, especially during holiday club. I hope I'll come back and see how the children involved. Thank you THAF and African Impact!

Volunteer project review

I liked this project. The school and the children are very nice. The location is very good. I have just one problem, I speak a little english and per moment is difficult for me to speak with the personnel or the children.

Sports project in Livingstone

I spent 3 weeks in Livingstone in a sports project. During the mornings we went to different schools to teach PE to the kids (10,14 years old). I had 3 incredible weeks, i have been quite happy here, all the coordinators and other volunteers were open to anything. Working with kids is quite rewarding.

Evaluation of the sports project

I had I great time volunteering for African Impact and would highly recommend it to anyone. Great people working here and amazing volunteers. The programs have a big impact on the community and the people working for African Impact really makes a difference.

Volunteering abroad

A have had an amazing experience in the past three weeks. I have met amazing new people from all over the world. I have seen children smiling, learning, playing sports and being happy with the little they have. This experience made me realize how fortunate we should be with our wealthy life and everything we have. You do not need a computer to be happy.

First time in Africa

This was not only my first time in Africa, but also my first volunteering abroad. I was afraid I will not be prepared and fit in because of the unknown environment, but nothing like this happened. Experience is not needed to be a successful volunteer: your biggest smile, creativity, and an open mind are what you need. Thank you for the unique opportunities and for the memorable experience both during the project work and in the free time.

Good place to be

it's a very nice place, everything is taking care. I did the sports project, and it was very nice to do. it was very varied and that makes it fun. in the morning I gave sport, and in the afternoon I was doing different things as teaching.

A wonderful experience

I stayed in Livingstone for eight weeks. When I came here I started to do the teaching project, I did that for two weeks. After two weeks I found out that I didn't like teaching. So I switched to the sport project, I did that for another two weeks.I really liked sports, it is a great experience and you are able to make a lot of fun with the kids. I think the best thing is that you are every morning at different schools, which never gets bored. In the house here is a research room with a lot useful stuff we can use for sports, that gives us a lot choices and opportunities. I also wanted to try the medical project, so I switched again. I did the medical project for three weeks. Then I decided to do sports again for my last week, because I think sports is the best project here. I think it is really cool that you are allowed to do what you want to do, so that you are able to switch projects and that you have the opportunity to try a lot of different project, so your experience can improve a lot.