Sports & Community Development, Livingstone Zambia
Volunteers and local kids playing Volunteers and local kids playing

Sports & Community Development, Livingstone Zambia

My experience

I volunteered almost 2 months for African Impact on the sports project in Livingstone, Zambia. It was a great experience! African Impact is a very good organisation. It was very organised, we prepared good for every project and the staff was always there to help you. They were also in for having fun with all the volunteers; movie night, beer pong, sundowners, quiz, new year's eve party... There are a lot of projects and they were all great. The local people are so kind and they really appreciate the work we do for them. We made an impact on their life but they also made an impact on my life. It's such a lovely feeling when you see them being happy. It makes your day. For so far, it was the best experience in my life! Livingstone feels like home after these weeks and I definitely come back one day!

Sports volunteer Livingstone

I had an incredible four weeks in Livingstone and would highly recommend volunteering at African impact to any one thinking about it. Backpackers was a great hostel to stay at, and the sports projects were incredibly rewarding.

A really nice experience

Volunteering at African Impact was great fun because of the place to live, the coordinators and all the different places, projects and people I have experienced. I was here for 3 weeks and that was in my opinion enough to see the differences.

Livingstone sports program

I really enjoyed my time here, everyone was very friendly and inviting. Getting to move around on projects and to different places was something I really enjoyed and was a real eye opener. Would I do it again Definitely! A really great team here!

It has been something special

It was an amazing experience in Zambia. I stayed for 6 weeks in Livingstone as a volunteer for the Happy Africa foundation and i will never forget it. So many memories to share, unforgettable moments. It has been something special.

Livingstone volunteer

It was a great experience and I feel proud to be a part of what I would like to call 'a family'! African Impact connects people from around the world in such a unique way! It is really a learning experience for your own life! I would advise it to everybody. It is priceless.

Livingstone -African Impact

Fantastic opportunity and would recommend to anyone. Great experience with the staff and the variety of projects. Zambia as a country is beautiful with Victoria falls on the doorstep and the people make the country.

Unforgettable experience!!

I had such an incredible time here. The people I met are amazing, the staff is fun and friendly and the volunteers are the best. The volunteering was such a great experience because even if you just teach one kid how to do addition you're still making a difference and it feels fantastic. I loved every minute of my time here and I plan on coming back one day.

Sports and community development project, Livingstone 2017

I had an amazing time for the two weeks I was here. Both the staff of Africa Impact and the Backpacker itself were friendly, helpful and inviting. I didn't pay all that much money and we were still provide with three meals a day and put in a clean, safe hostel in a great location with tons of amenities. The volunteering itself was incredibly rewarding. We worked in the community with actual locals who helped to dictate where our efforts could best be directed. Our time and energy was well spent working on projects and initiatives genuinely benefiting the community. The organization is clearly set up to capitalize on the energy, good will and enthusiasm of the volunteers in order to benefit the community through their work, not benefit individuals through their money. I was on the sports project and that took up the better part of my time but the taff were happy to change our schedules when we asked allowing us to farm, and do several teaching projects. I had an amazing time and would strongly recommend this organization to anyone looking to spend less money and make a bigger difference than many other organizations. The food was tasty but super unhealthy, the wifi sucks and the pools cold though btw.

4 weeks volunteering

I loved being a part of girl impact for four weeks, I had a great time here. I liked the interaction with the local people and the diversity in the girl impact. I have made awesome friends during my time.

My time in Zambia

I've had a fantastic time in my two weeks here. The volunteers and staff are so friendly and helpful, and the local people are incredibly nice too. The backpackers is an excellent place to be based, as it allows you to meet new people and make friends. Perhaps slightly more could be done in the first few days of the placement to introduce you to your other volunteers, but you soon settle in either way. The food has been excellent and the local children are happy pretty much all of the time.

The best two weeks of my life

I volunteered with African Impact in Zambia for 2 weeks in July 2017 and can safely say they were the best two weeks of my life so far.
Being my first solo trip, I was quite nervous, but right from day one, the whole team (especially Joe and Kirsten, the volunteer coordinators, Conor who worked in the backpackers, Josephine our cook and Rodger our mini bus driver) made me feel so welcome and within just a few days, it became my home away from home.
Incredibly well organised, African Impact Zambia always put the needs of the volunteers and children first by allowing us to go on the projects that better fit our personalities and what we wanted to do, in order to benefit both the children and the team (e.g: I realised quite early on that I didn't enjoy being in a classroom as much as i did being outside playing sports. Therefore, the team always made sure I was on the sports projects so that I was happy and enthusiastic and teaching what I loved, and someone more content and confident in the classroom would do the indoor lessons, which would consequently be more beneficial to the children having teachers that were motivated and happy with what they were teaching).
Josephine our cook provided the most incredible meals all throughout the day and having big tables that we could all sit around enabled us to bond very quickly and create a very close and solid team.
The dorms were comfortable and spacious and the showers and bathrooms were always very clean.
Overall I had a fantastic life changing experience, met so many locals which enabled me to really embrace the zambian culture. The children were a pleasure to teach and their families so lovely and welcoming. Would 100% recommend.

Excellent volunteering experience at Livingstone!

I did a two week volunteering program at Livingstone, Zambia with THAF. I was on the Sports program and it was wonderful. I got to interact with the kids a lot during the days and participate in a variety of different activities like arts club, Adult Literacy Club, Match Club etc in the afternoon. The kids were so so smart, kind and lovely, and I met so many people that are helpful. I would like to give my special thanks to Sander, Kat and Joe as they were there whenever I needed help and gave loads of good advice. The pool parties and movie nights were fun as well! This program was somehow life-changing to me, and I would definitely come back in the future when I get a chance.

P.S.: The food at LBP is amazing. I mean it.

Paolo's impact

I loved my time in Zambia, the kids i worked with in the sport project were so energetic and fun to play with. The accommodation was very comfortable and I enjoyed every activity I've done, people were all welcoming and friendly.

It was amazing!!

I had a great time here. I did the sport project and it was amazing. I loved the afternoon projects as well, because you can do so many different things. The projects are so good. Everyone is so nice and it is such a good organisation.

Volunteering in Livingtone

I had the most amazing time in Zambia! All the local people and other volunteers were so welcoming. The project are so good prepared and I love how flexible they are, so you can try something else if you want to. Because this program is so international, I now have friends all over the world!

2 weeks with African Impact

Working 2 weeks as a volunteer for African Impact was a great experience. The diversity of the projects let us help the local citizen in many different ways. The housing and the food was really good and the availability of different excursions, safaris let us also know more about the country and the local citizen.

Sports and community development, Zambia

It was a great experience in an amazing country. All the staff were very welcoming and were able to answer any questions. The programs run in the morning and the afternoon were both very good and allowed me to try new things as well as being involved with areas of interest.

African Impact Livingstone

This experience was so much more than I even hoped for. Before I came here I was worried about whether I would feel like I was actually making a difference, and I realize now how wrong I was to worry. Getting to interact with Zambia's people everyday has been so rewarding and I've loved being able to see the kids I work with improve each week. The other volunteers were so helpful and welcoming when I got here and it's been awesome getting to have discussions with each other and learn about everyone's countries.

Volunteering abroad

A have had an amazing experience in the past three weeks. I have met amazing new people from all over the world. I have seen children smiling, learning, playing sports and being happy with the little they have. This experience made me realize how fortunate we should be with our wealthy life and everything we have. You do not need a computer to be happy.

Ultimate volunteering adventure

The opportunity to come to Zambia and volunteer through the Sports and Recreation Program was everything I expected it to be and more. Interacting with the community, and its members, on such an intimate scale provided me with an unbelievable opportunity to experience the country of Zambia for what it really is; an underdeveloped country that is certainly up and coming. Things you wouldn't normally see as a tourist, such as the daily financial and health difficulties that are so common, really help you realize the impact that an individual volunteer can make on a community. Bonding with children that grew up with an entirely different childhood than I experienced and giving them a temporary break from reality through sports has arguably been the greatest experience of my life. Realizing that you are a mentor to these children and that you can make their days by simply putting a smile on their faces is an indescribable feeling. A truly rewarding and life-changing experience.

My best experience in Africa so far!

This is my third volunteer experience in Africa and whilst I loved all three, this one stands out as a clear favourite for me. Every single member of the staff here is so fantastic, incredibly friendly and clearly very passionate not just about what they do, but about the impact and difference being made in the lives of locals that are reached out to. The structure of the days meant that I never felt too overwhelmed with too much work on a project at any one time and was able to fully enjoy each day. There is a lot to do and to see here and this project gives you a chance to experience it all. It's amazing, challenging and inspiring to see just how much can be done with so little resources. I wish I was staying much longer and had more of a chance to see more of what's being done here.

African Impact sports volunteer

True and long lasting happiness comes from what you give, not from what you get. If you truly want to master the art of fulfilment, you have to come to Livingston, Zambian with African Impact. Staff members and the Zambian community will make you feel at home. Lots of young kids are waiting for people like you. Be ready to change their lives.

First time in Africa

This was not only my first time in Africa, but also my first volunteering abroad. I was afraid I will not be prepared and fit in because of the unknown environment, but nothing like this happened. Experience is not needed to be a successful volunteer: your biggest smile, creativity, and an open mind are what you need. Thank you for the unique opportunities and for the memorable experience both during the project work and in the free time.

The lovely Livingstone

Second time that I came to volunteer with African Impact in Livingstone, Zambia.
It was definitely as good as my first time volunteering.
The staff is really nice and always up for some fun.
The projects are super nice and the community is so lovely, friendly and welcoming.
you will get to know them very fast.
And just overall experience was a blast and definitely recommended for everybody.