Girl Empowerment, Livingstone, Zambia
Volunteers and local kids playing Volunteers and local kids playing

Girl Empowerment, Livingstone, Zambia

Girl impact, Livingstone

I am so pleased with my time in Livingstone, Zambia. It has honestly been the best time of my entire life so far and I am already determined to go back to Livingstone very soon. The people I met there are now considered my friends and some of them I know I will have for life.

A very unique, special experience.

African Impact was extremely well organised and my time here ran very smoothly. The flexibility and choice of projects allows you to find a project that meets your skill sets really well, and also allows you the opportunity to try new projects and slightly step out of your comfort zone to enable you to learn new skills and allow personal development. I felt extremely safe throughout my time here, much more than I was expecting to feel. Livingstone is a beautiful city and I am very grateful for my time spent here.There was always plenty of friendly staff who would go out of their way to help you and there would always be someone available to do so.

Discovering volunteering with African Impact

As a first volunteering experience, I would definitely recommend African Impact. The organisation procures you a safe environment as well as interesting projects. The manager and coordinators are very attentive to your needs and really try to do their best to make you feel like home and live a good experience.
Concerning the project Girl Impact, i liked it a lot. It was very interesting working with young girls as well as working with older women.

True impact on my time in Africa

Girl Impact (the girl empowerment program in Zambia) truly touched my heart!

I had the opportunity to work with the girls on a number of different fronts, but my two favorites by far were teaching dance class and farming with the girls at a local farm. Both projects were a total blast, and there was nothing more amazing during my time in Zambia than sharing laughter, giggles, smiles, songs, and dances under the sun all day long. I made some of my best friends through this program who were not close to myself in age at all, but our age gap did not matter thanks to African Impact and how they facilitated relationship building between myself and the local girls.

I hope to return soon to continue volunteering with this amazing group of young women who inspire me to achieve my educational goals in order that I may give back to their community!

Great program, great crew, great city

I spent 4 weeks working with Girl Impact in Linda School. Amazing working with the different group of women and girls. Very well developed and organized and with room for my input. Great concern of African Impact with continuation in the community as volunteers leave. I think that is what makes the organization valid and committed to the community. Great staff, coordinators and very welcoming. It is very easy to adapt and get used to life in Livingstone. Soon you become part of the community. Great learning experience, I recommend!

Unforgettable experience

I spent four weeks in Livingstone working primarily on the Girl Impact program although I was also involved on the Building project for a few days. My experiences on Girl Impact were nothing but positive. I felt, as volunteers, we were able to connect with the girls and talk openly about controversial subjects, which they may not otherwise have felt they are able to talk about. I also felt it was important to answer questions they had, in order to clarify and correct their beliefs in certain myths. Overall, I feel the Girl Impact program runs smoothly and has a positive impact on the girls.

Girl impact project

My experience in Livingstone on the Girl Impact project was unforgettable! I was given support and guidance for all of the community projects which I was involved with so I didn't feel uncomfortable or unsure about what I was doing. All of the staff were friendly and happy to give advice about the projects and local area. I would strongly recommend this project and I hope it will not be last experience with African Impact!

My incredible volunteering experience

My time with African Impact has been indescribable. I never would have thought that 3 weeks on project would fly by so quickly, nor did I think I would settle in and think of Zambia as home so easily. Working with various groups of girls and women in the community and working with kids to improve their maths and reading skills has been an incredible experience and certainly one that I will miss. Working on project is so rewarding and the activities arranged between volunteers both inside and outside of the backpackers serve as a fun way of relaxing. I cannot think of how my time could have been improved and I will sincerely miss Zambia and the friends I have made here. Just like many volunteers before me, I am already planning my return!

African Impact

i have had an amazing 10 days at Livingstone. the staff and local community have been so welcoming and made me feel well looked after. I've made some life long friends with the volunteers and some of the staff. excellent overall experience. thank you.

My life is forever changed by this experience! I will definitely be back!!

After reviewing many volunteer projects and locations I finally made the decision to join Girl Impact for three months in Livingstone, Zambia and this decision will be counted as one of my top three best decisions in life. As usually you might be nervous when you arrive in a new destination so far from home, but I was surprisingly shocked when I entered the volunteer house. Each and every volunteer welcomed me as part of the family. The same is true for the Livingstone community. I had the opportunity to work with small and large groups of volunteer during my time. On project with Girl Impact I learned the value of empowering young girls and how we can truly make an impact. I'm leaving Zambia with a new set of lifelong friendships and a passion for continual community outreach.

An experience for lifetime

Great two weeks with lots of interaction with local culture and students.. I was here for only two weeks and it went too fast.. Wish I could stay longer to help people somehow an to learn more about.

Tash's review

My two weeks at Livingstone has been more than amazing! I really can't thank the team enough for the amazing experience, accommodation and atmosphere. I would highly recommend African Impact to anyone who was interested :)

Wonders never cease in Livingstone, Zambia

I came into this experience with less information than one might imagine and I definitely didn't do the amount of research that some people did beforehand. As a result, I had fewer expectations than most and, in this case, I was stunned by the quality of the experience. The amount of things that are quite literally at your fingertips to do in Livingstone and nearby is astounding and the facilities far exceed what I had pictured when I imagined a volunteer experience. Backpackers is a place I would stay even if I wasn't volunteering--not only because it's quite nice, but also because they make planning adventures so simple. Obviously, the reason I came, though, was to volunteer. The coordinators of the projects here in Livingstone spend so much time getting to know your needs and helping you fit right into the project(s) you chose that you quite literally are contributing right away. I was working with girls who knew my name and some of whom I likewise knew quite well within a few days of working on the Girl Impact project. And of course I was helping teach and design lessons for a pretty powerful curriculum to empower young girls that hopefully inspired them, but truly empowered me. I was quite taken by the other projects that people were working on, so the coordinators even made it possible for me to try other teams, too. In just a couple of weeks I worked with every volunteer--all 30+ of wonderful group of people.

Livingstone - Girl impact

Overall, my time in Livingstone doing the Girl Impact project was an amazing life experience! There were many instances where I could see that participating in the empowerment of girls and women was really making a difference to them. The general atmosphere outside of the projects was energetic, warm, and busy (in a good way).

Livingstone backpackers and girl impact

The overall experience was great! The staff is welcoming and will do their best to make sure you're enjoying your time there. The Livingstone Backpackers is a good place to meet new people, hang out, have a drink or just watch a movie. The rock climbing wall and the pool are also a nice way to enjoy your free time after project or on the weekends. I have to say, though, that some people had flea bites and, depending on the room, there will be loud music at night, not from the backpackers itself, but from the club across the street. It is a cool place for young people I'd say.
Regarding the projects, The Girl Impact Project is the best! You'll get to know the other projects because the GI sessions are only 3 days a week (4 sessions), but the time you spend with the girls and the women's group is the one you'll feel the greatest impact.

Girl impact, Zambia

My time spent in Livingstone was incredible. I have always taken my independence for granted, but after seeing what life can be like for some women i have a greater appreciation for how much freedom we have in the UK. Often the girls, all still very young, wouldn't be at our workshops/clubs because they had to go and work to support their family, or stay home and do chores. When asked what a typical day is like, you would hear that they get up, wash their face, wash the dishes and then go to school, if they were lucky enough to be able to afford school.
Before I arrived in Africa I was sceptical about how much of an impact I would actually make, especially as I was only there for a month, not long at all. However I do feel I have made an impact in small ways, for example on Monday mornings we would go with the grade 4 girls to Linda farm to tend to the vegetables they've been growing, but this week a film was being shown at the school. The girls really wanted to go to the film but if they didn't water the vegetables they would likely die, so we volunteers went to the farm in their place and did the work so that the kids could take some time out and watch a film, something they probably don't get to experience too often.

Great work in a beautiful place

Livingstone is a place that is full of character and beauty. The projects that African Impact works with are thriving so much through serious volunteer commitment and mutual respect between the organisation and the community. There is so much that can be learned here equally for both the volunteers and the beneficiaries, and I hope that this continues to the point where one day there might be no need for us here anymore.

My stay at girl's impact

I was here volunteering for 3 weeks and I wish I could have stayed longer. I joined the Girls Impact Project because I see a lot of potential in the young girls here in Africa! I came here without expectations and the african-lifestyle just rolled me over and I love it! The reward you get when you see their smiles and happiness in their faces in amazing! I wish I could take this atmosphere in this happiness back to my country! The Livingstone Backpackers Hostel is great and because all volunteers are together I have made friends very quickly! The activities available on the weekends are stunning and the food the african-staff offers is amazing! I just want to say thank you for making these three weeks unforgettable for me!

Girl impact project

I really loved staying in the African Impact House at Livingstone Backpackers in Livingstone. You get to know a lot of people from all over the world and make loads of friends. The coordinator are always helping if you need something and plan fun activities during the week. I was at the Girl Impact project which I really liked. We had lessons and Sports in the afternoon with girls, worked at the farm and had a women's group once a week where we sewed bags or had health talks. Twice a week I also could go to Home Based Care which is part of the Medical Project. I really enjoyed being out in the community ad interact with the locals.
It was really great to be here and everyone tries to make your stay perfect.