Early Childhood Development, Cape Town
Volunteers group photo Volunteers group photo

Early Childhood Development, Cape Town

Volunteering With African Impact

Volunteering with African Impact was such an amazing experience for me and was able to get a lot out of the program. The kids are so appreciative and it's good to know we are able to help them and make an impact. As side from the volunteering, there is an endless amount of things to do and places to eat. It's truly life changing--I don't ever want to go home! I was only here for two weeks and definitely recommend to stay longer if possible, but anything is better than nothing!

Amazing four week orphan care program

Very welcoming and organized program. The integration process is very well thought out. After the first week i was able to fully launch myself into my project and give my ideas and plan for each week.

Teaching in South Africa

Overall it is a great experience to get involved with and explore how life is for young children growing up and going to schools in South Africa. It is really interesting to meet and live for a short time in a different piece of the world.

Best time of my life

My 4 weeks with African Impact have been nothing short of life changing and I have had the most amazing experiences that will stay with me forever. It was beyond what I could have ever hoped for!!

Teaching project

Although I have only been here less than a week, I have already met some incredible people and had some amazing experiences. I am gutted that I am not staying longer as there is so much on offer in Cape Town.

Amazing weeks

These three weeks of project where amazing! Not did I only learn more about the African culture, made an impact on their lives, but also on my own life. I learned more about myself and developed myself during the project.

Best experience after high school

It has been the best decision ever to go and volunteer with African Impact. It is such a great organization with so many amazing projects! Doing the project for me was so rewarding and it has taught me so much! Not only the volunteering part is amazing, but also the chance to live in one of the most beautiful places in the world has been such an unforgettable experience which I would never wanted to miss.

Clare Myers review

Volunteering with African Impact is an experience (as cheesy as it sounds) that will truly impact your life. Most people who choose to volunteer do so because they are at a T-intersection in their lives, and need to do and go somewhere completely different to gain space and time. African Impact facilitates an environment where you gain a new appreciation and perspective on your life, whilst impacting and helping communities you wouldn't have access to as a tourist or traveler. The work you do, and equally as important the people you work with, make the experience more like an adventure. You can donate money or share a facebook video from your couch, that's easy, but physically seeing a child smile because of a little thing you did, and knowing you've made them feel special, that's an emotion that will never leave you. To those looking for something different instead of travelling or backpacking, I would highly recommend African Impact.

Amazing 4 weeks

Having spent the past 4 weeks volunteering with African Impact I can honestly say it's been the most rewarding and eye-opening experience I have ever had the chance to be a part of! Anyone thinking about whether or not to do a trip like this shouldn't hesitate, get yourself booked!

Best thing I've done so far

This volunteering experience has been absolutely amazing. I can't put into words how these 11 weeks have been. They've seriously flown by. If your ever doubting about coming here like me, and you have the opportunity to do it, then do it because it's all worth it and you will seriously not regret it.

South Africa

My two weeks volunteering on the teaching and GAPA programs in Cape Town have gone too fast. There are no words that can truly describe the types of people. kids, volunteers, activities, experiences and emotions that I have had on this trip. I feel grateful that I have had an opportunity to be welcomed into a community so different to my own and be able to help teach as well as learn new things everyday. Hopefully this will not be my last trip with African Impact. Thank You.

South Africa

During my experience with African Impact I was apart of the GAPA and teaching program. Both programs gave me the opportunity to experience a new culture and help inspire young children. I can honestly say this has been an amazing experience and I have learnt so much.

Collectively making a difference

My first time volunteering has given me a new perspective on my daily life, a great insight into the cultures and traditions of South Africa and also a good understanding of the problems and inequalities that are to be found in Cape Town. I feel like during the two weeks I have contributed to a great program that helps the kids in the long run.

African Impact- Cape town

I have enjoyed my stay in Cape Town with African Impact immensely. My experience has been absolutely amazing, from the actual volunteer work, to the staff, to the housing, to the weekend activities, to the other volunteers, it has all been great! I would recommend this volunteering program to anyone who wants to learn about a new culture in a fun and exciting way, while participating in meaningful and sustainable volunteering!

Two unforgettable weeks in Cape Town!

From the moment of booking the staff at African Impact were in contact welcoming you to the project and advising in detail what applications and processes were required before arriving in Cape Town..so don't panic help is at hand!
On arrival to the airport a member of staff is there to greet you and welcome you to the beautiful country of south Africa :)
I volunteered on the teaching project which took place in 2 pre-schools in a local community called Khayelitsha. From the moment you enter the classroom to the moment you leave the children are so excited and happy you're there to teach and have fun with them. From story time, crafts to outside games there is never a dull moment...believe me!
After school we head to GAPA the Grandmothers Against Poverty and Aids project for local kids to come along and take part in fun activities with us keeping them off the streets and out of danger. This is such a wonderful project and the grandmothers are amazing, I salute them for their hard work and passion for educating their neighbours and looking after the local children.
It's not all hard work though, on the weekends you get to explore the fantastic city of Cape Town and the staff are at hand to help you plan everything. I would highly recommend a hike up Lions Head for the most amazing views of the city and if you're adventurous like myself a skydive is a must!
The "Lion House" AKA your home for the duration of your time on project, because that's exactly what it feels like...home. Shakey and Jane take care of you very well and keep you well fed and living in a nice clean home. All the African Impact staff and other volunteers make you feel like part of the furniture before you leave, I've never met such friendly welcoming people before so don't be nervous!
If you are looking to make new friends from all over the world and be a part of an amazing organisation giving something back to the local community then look no further!

Cape Town volunteer

I have spent the past 2 weeks in Cape Town on the teaching and development project. It has truly been a very impactful couple of weeks, and I would recommend this experience to anyone. We worked very hands on with the children and teachers, and I can say I have learned so much from both of them. I am so thankful for this opportunity!

An amazing experience

It has been an amazing experience to work as a volunteer for African Impact in Cape Town and explore this fantastic city. Everything is well organised by African Impact. Every project has their own structured programme, which the volunteers are creating by themselves, so they will be well prepared for these projects. Also we could bring our own ideas!
In the weekends you have time enough to explore Cape Town; which is amazing.
I am very happy to have made this memory!

Life-changing 3 weeks with AI

I didn't have any expectations of what my stay in Cape Town and my volunteering experience prior to my arrival in South Africa would be like; I had never step foot on the African continent, let alone volunteered for an organization. In a sense, when one has no genuine preconceptions of a future journey, it is harder to top the figurative benchmark or bar because its whereabouts is unknown. While lacking any preconceived notions makes an experience much more unprecedented and uncharted, African Impact fostered an amazing sense of purpose and direction in my volunteering, which made this transition into the volunteering world much more easier and fluid for me (and I am sure every other volunteer with no prior experience would say the same). From car rides into Khayelitsha with the group, to weekend excursions through Cape Town and Stellenbosch, my experience with this inspiring organization was out of this world. Within weeks I felt a bond with people that usually takes months, even years, to build. African Impact's ability to make volunteers feel welcomed is only matched by their multifaceted and awe-inspiring day-in and day-out projects. I decided to take a Gap Year before starting University, and joining organizations like these, making connections like these, and feeling that I have made a small difference in the world is the exact reason why I made my decision. I could not be more confident in or proud of this life choice. Thank you AI!

Say yes to volunteer work

Before I left home, I was extremely nervous and was doubting if I even should go or not. Luckily an internship abroad was mandatory for me to finish school, otherwise I would have never had this amazing opportunity. When I arrived at the house I was still anxious about what was going to happen, but the people here are really nice and welcoming so that feeling did not stay very long. Also my homesickness disappeared within the first week. I have never been the outgoing type, but even to those people who are just like me I say ''Do it! Just throw yourself into this experience because you will never forget it''. I've honestly had the best experience of my life here! Not just with the people in the house, but the projects you go to are absolutely amazing!

1 week complete

Even though i was signed up for 1 week of teaching i was able to experience a lot more than that. Everyone was very welcoming and a lot of fun. The work they do here is amazing, the children always have a smile a face when you turn up and you are welcomed with hugs always! Working with GAPA was inspiring, what those granny's have achieved is heartwarming and the children there are very lucky. The preschool children & teachers i worked with were also great, again always so happy to see you and very thankful for you being there. I will be doing more volunteering in future and would highly recommend African Impact without a doubt.

My first experience of being a volunteer

For me, this experience was something I've thought a lot about but never felt I had the confidence to do. I was inspired by a facebook post to look into things abroad. I was then put in touch with a girl also keen but wanted a travel buddy by a mutual friend. Over lunch in a local cafe we started planning our African Adventure! Being in full time employment time off had to fit around annual leave therefore we found the perfect trip incorporating a taster in voluntary work and a sight seeing tour - the Garden Route. This past week has been a life changing experience. I have learned so much about African lifestyle as well as things about myself. I found so much of this trip so heart warming it will stay with me for the rest of my life. The staff here do an amazing job and although my time here has been short it has been so valuable. It has forced me out of my comfort zone to learn new things to set me up for years to come. I now look forward to telling my stories to anyone who will listen when i return home and back to work. Thank you soo much to all the team.

Fun-filled fortnight

Volunteering with African Impact has been both a life-changing and inspiring experience. At the airport, you are greeted with a hug and a friendly face - which makes your welcome a warm and cheerful one. Back at the Lionhouse and of course on project, you are greeted with more friendly faces and welcomes! I spent my mornings at an emergency foster care home, and evenings between two different after school programmes. Throughout my time I worked with young toddlers, school age children and young teens. My memories with African Impact are fond and positive. I have learnt the true impact of such an organisation and the people who work tirelessly in these orphanages and clubs, as well as exploring a beautiful city and experiencing the African culture!

Life enhancing

I have made the most incredible memories, had the most enriching experiences and met the most amazing people. My only regret is not staying longer. Genuinely very sad to be leaving, will 100% be back!

Rich experience in 2 weeks only!

I came expecting only good things, but i had no idea what would go trough these 15 days...they were AMAZING! I met so wonderful people, i struggled with so many different english accents (but in the end everything went well :) ), meeting new people from all over the world, cultures, and the food was absolutely wonderful! Don't forget to make videos of Shacky's food!!! Thank you so much African Impact Team for all the support and for one of the best moments of my life!

A must do!

An awesome opportunity to get out of your comfort zone and do something that truly makes a difference in other people's lives and the community. With many different programs available depending on your interests you will certainly find something up your ally to help with. The African Impact Team is amazing with a wealth of knowledge and welcome you in with open arms to the family. I personally was working on the Orphan and Vulnerable Care Project and the time spent with the children and staff was such a highlight. Seeing the joy on the children's faces when you help them do something or give them praise and encouragement is something you will never forget. Seeing the quiet and shyer kids grow in confidence and come out of their shell is again such a rewarding experience. Not only do you have an impact on the children but you have the opportunity to learn so much from the carers and grannies too.
This is an experience for all. Seeing the sights of the communities and how people live their lives is such an eye opener and one where you will always be grateful for all that we have available in the western world, where we can take so much for granted.