Academic Programs Abroad in Paris (APA Paris) Header Image Academic Programs Abroad in Paris (APA Paris) Header Image

Academic Programs Abroad in Paris (APA Paris)

Verified
Academic Programs Abroad in Paris (APA Paris)

Academic Programs Abroad in Paris (APA Paris) Programs

France

APA Paris: Advanced Program

Become a true Parisian and take classes in French amongst French students with APA Paris' Advanced study abroad program. Build your schedule by choosing 4-5 classes, in any...

This program has been saved 6 times

Save Program

France

APA Paris: Intermediate Program

You can make your dreams of studying in Paris a reality, even if you’ve only studied French for 2 semesters. Designed for US university and college students, discover Paris...

This program has been saved 1 time

Save Program

Academic Programs Abroad in Paris (APA Paris) Reviews

9 / 10

Paris holds the key to my heart

It was my childhood dream to go to Paris and when I was applying to study abroad programs I was looking for a structured program with enough guidance to feel safe leaving the country for a semester but also enough leeway for me to enjoy free time in this new city. I wanted to get the most bang for my buck and APA delivered. I loved that we had could decide what Parisian universities to attend, our metro passes were included in the program fees, we got weekly tickets to all different kinds of shows across Paris (dance, traditional theater/avant garde, concerts), tutoring for French language. Sophie, Blandine, and Claire are very sweet and are genuinely concerned with how we were getting along with the program. They were always available by phone to help with any questions we had. When I missed my flight home because of baggage complications it was Sophie who calmed me down and helped me get the next flight home.

Things to note: 1) Beware of pickpocets! I can not stress this enough. Tourists/Americans are huge targets... even locals are frequently stolen from. Never leave your phone in your pocket. 2) You meet such amazing people through APA it's easy to stick to your new American friends and speak English. It's imperative to make French friends to learn slang and informal speech. 3) As a woman-of-color it can be a bit more of a culture shock to navigate being a minority in another country, make French friends you think might share the same experiences as you, they will have a lot of tips. 4) Some host families love it when you cook American meals to share with them at dinner 5) Explore the city even when you don't feel like it. A lot of times when I felt down and lonely cause I missed family and friends back home I'd go out to a part of the city I had never been before and discover something new to lift my mood.

All in all, this was an incredible experience and I'm so glad I chose APA. I felt so supported and I met some really amazing people and made lifelong friends!

9 / 10

A really well-rounded programme

APA Paris excelled in all aspects of a study abroad programme. Each week the programme organised for us all to go to a show together, whether that be a ballet or a musical, which allowed us to see some of the best art in the world. This was all included in the programme cost. In terms of academics, there were two in-house course taught by two really amazing local teachers, who we eventually got to know over the course of the programme by socialising outside of class time. The host family that I stayed with were really lovely, always encouraged me to speak french with them, and cooked great food.

Wonderful study abroad experience

I really enjoyed my study abroad experience with APA. Claire, Sophie, and Blandine who ran the program were very approachable and helpful. Their goal was to make sure students succeed academically and had a great time in Paris. There were only ten students in the program which made the experience very personal. It was just what I needed to improve my French. Each week, we went to some sort of show which was wonderful. There were also visits to nearby towns and attractions. I really appreciated these outings because I most likely wouldn't have done these things on my own. The two classes that they offered were very interesting and included weekend study tours to other countries. They were taught by dedicated professors who enjoyed working with international students. APA did a fabulous job matching each student with a host family. I am very happy that I chose to attend APA's program because they made Paris feel like home.

10 / 10

Amazing and immersive experience!

APA Paris was the best program I could've asked for for what I wanted. Coming from a small liberal arts college, I really appreciated that the program was small (only 10 students in my cohort) and that the small but extremely dedicated, approachable, and available staff really cared about each of our individual needs and voices. I became really close to the program staff in Paris and had lots of fun with them on the weekly outings that they organized for us! Each week, we saw a different artistic performance, whether it be a circus, dance, cabaret, musical, play, or other work! It truly allowed me to get to know a side of Paris that I would have never seen unless it was organized for me! The French university system is also radically different from my experience in the U.S., but luckily the staff spent three weeks with us at the beginning of the semester teaching us about the university system through an orientation program. That support continued throughout the semester through tutoring sessions to learn the methodology of our course work or meetings with professors. The two in-house courses were also absolutely incredible and allowed us to get to know French professors while still having a small, intimate class where discussion was highly encouraged. We also got to go on a study-tour to a different country for each of the in-house classes! Those trips were weekend-long trips organized by the program that helped expand what were were learning in the classroom. The host family I was set up with was super caring as well. APA Staff are very particular in their process of matching a student to a host family so that the best match is possible. I lived in a great area with a mother and her daughter and had dinner with them 5x a week. APA did a great job at helping us really get to know Paris and become immersed in the Parisian lifestyle. Through APA, I was able to meet several French students who would meet up with us regular to go out to cafes or concerts. Especially because it can sometimes be hard to meet French students at your university, it was nice that APA set up programs for us to meet French students that we could befriend. I am very thankful to APA for a great experience that not only helped me improve my French language abilities, but also allowed me to fall in love with the City of Light.

Best program!

APA was the study abroad experience I had always dreamed about. Especially if you are interested in improving your french, this is the best way to go. APA offers a true immersion experience that other programs don't. Additionally, the cultural program gave us tickets each week for a show, whether it be dance, opera, or a "cirque." As Claire (awesome woman!!) the director put it, in a city of culture such as Paris, it is invaluable to be able to experience the variety and talent that the city offers. The ladies on the staff are AMAZING! It was like I had a whole team working to make my personal experience great, very personal attention. They do so much for us it is crazy, I even felt bad sometimes for all the incredible things they did for us to make our lives easier. So awesome! They specially select the host families and get to know you before you move-in to make sure that it will be a great match. I was lucky enough to get the greatest host-mother of all time who I love so much!!! Bottom line is I thank my lucky stars I chose APA, I would do it again in an instant, and if I went back in time I would do this program over any other even if I had to fight for it!!! Amazing 10/10 experience and program

Show more reviews