Academic Programs Abroad (APA) Header Image Academic Programs Abroad (APA) Header Image

Academic Programs Abroad (APA)

Verified
Academic Programs Abroad (APA)

Academic Programs Abroad (APA) Programs

France

APA Paris: Advanced Program

Become a true Parisian and take classes in French amongst French students with APA Paris' Advanced study abroad program. Build your schedule by choosing 4-5 classes, in any...

This program has been saved 11 times

Senegal

APA Dakar: Summer Program

Discover francophone West Africa in the capital city of Senegal. Dakar is the westernmost point in mainland Africa and is home to numerous businesses, regional banks, NGOs,...

France

APA Paris: Intermediate Program

You can make your dreams of studying in Paris a reality, even if you’ve only studied French for 2 semesters. Designed for US university and college students, discover Paris...

This program has been saved 2 times

Academic Programs Abroad (APA) Reviews

10 / 10

An immersive experience

The thing I loved most about APA was the flexibility of the academic program. Students are capable of taking classes at multiple universities on multiple subjects. There are plenty of opportunities for independently seeking experiences as well.
Classes are held in different French universities, but APA offers personal and group language support, as well as language buddies and complimentary courses. I'm not sure the program could have done much more to provide additional academic support.
If you are looking for an immersive language program to improve your French, APA provides all the necessary tools to achieve your goals.

Semester in Paris with APA

I had a great semester abroad through APA! I came into the semester very insecure about my French speaking abilities and unsure whether or not I would be able to take a full course load completely in French! With all the support and guidance APA provides it was completely doable and I learned so much. The culture program and the museum passes were great as well!

9 / 10

APA is incredibly responsive and goes out of their way to help

APA is a really wonderful program. Its greatest strength is the flexibility/options it provides - if you come to Paris wanting to take certain courses or do certain things, APA will give you the support to make it happen! You can really make the semester your own.

Claire, Sophie, and Blandine, who run the program, are compassionate and genuinely caring folks who go out of their way to provide a great experience for their students. I felt very supported by them throughout the semester.

I liked the courses I took in Paris more than many of my Princeton courses. Each one was fantastic. The in-house art class is not to be missed!

9 / 10

Paris holds the key to my heart

It was my childhood dream to go to Paris and when I was applying to study abroad programs I was looking for a structured program with enough guidance to feel safe leaving the country for a semester but also enough leeway for me to enjoy free time in this new city. I wanted to get the most bang for my buck and APA delivered. I loved that we had could decide what Parisian universities to attend, our metro passes were included in the program fees, we got weekly tickets to all different kinds of shows across Paris (dance, traditional theater/avant garde, concerts), tutoring for French language. Sophie, Blandine, and Claire are very sweet and are genuinely concerned with how we were getting along with the program. They were always available by phone to help with any questions we had. When I missed my flight home because of baggage complications it was Sophie who calmed me down and helped me get the next flight home.

Things to note: 1) Beware of pickpocets! I can not stress this enough. Tourists/Americans are huge targets... even locals are frequently stolen from. Never leave your phone in your pocket. 2) You meet such amazing people through APA it's easy to stick to your new American friends and speak English. It's imperative to make French friends to learn slang and informal speech. 3) As a woman-of-color it can be a bit more of a culture shock to navigate being a minority in another country, make French friends you think might share the same experiences as you, they will have a lot of tips. 4) Some host families love it when you cook American meals to share with them at dinner 5) Explore the city even when you don't feel like it. A lot of times when I felt down and lonely cause I missed family and friends back home I'd go out to a part of the city I had never been before and discover something new to lift my mood.

All in all, this was an incredible experience and I'm so glad I chose APA. I felt so supported and I met some really amazing people and made lifelong friends!

A really well-rounded programme

APA Paris excelled in all aspects of a study abroad programme. Each week the programme organised for us all to go to a show together, whether that be a ballet or a musical, which allowed us to see some of the best art in the world. This was all included in the programme cost. In terms of academics, there were two in-house course taught by two really amazing local teachers, who we eventually got to know over the course of the programme by socialising outside of class time. The host family that I stayed with were really lovely, always encouraged me to speak french with them, and cooked great food.

Show more reviews