SIT Study Abroad participant SIT Study Abroad participant

Nicaragua: Youth Culture, Literacy, and Media

One Step Away

I'm a first generation college student; I'm also the first in my family to ever study abroad. As a result, I had to hurdle my way to even apply. The SIT application and admission processes in particular are very demanding. From June to January, I was constantly navigating my way, contacting SIT alumni and various advisers constantly. In hindsight, this process helped both my family and me invest in study abroad. The amount of support that SIT and my school provided also made the program possible. During the program itself, the on-site program director, assistants, homestay mom, and intern reassured me that they would be there to support me -- and they did. I not only learned a lot about my host country; I also learned about my own culture, my own prejudices, and my own aspirations. I had many fascinating encounters and formed long-lasting relationships. SIT's unique Independent Study Project also urged me to become independent: I spent the last month living alone on the other side of the country, away from many of my colleagues... but I was never truly alone or without the support network I had built during the first two months of the program. I spent much time reflecting on my experience as a study abroadee, and I'm constantly with regrets that I did not explore the local events more or that I did not practice my Spanish enough. Even though I felt one step away from perfecting my study abroad experience, I had to remind myself that the study abroad experience never ends. I'm constantly reminded of my time abroad: I have grown without myself noticing.

One awesome semester that will change your LIFE!

I had the most amazing three months of my life. A time that has certainly impacted me and my future in ways I never imagined!

First and foremost, the faculty, staff and home stay families are so wonderful. They truly care about their students and making the experience a positive one.

We got to travel all throughout the country and even to El Salvador -- excursions vary from semester to semester but there are some many different potential options ranging from the El Salvador, Costa Rica, and Cuba!
My favorite excursion was to the Caribbean coast. It's such a hidden gem and so different from any other location in Nicaragua. The tropical, island feel is wonderful! Great music, great food, and a really great time! I loved every minute of that excursion; there's nothing like living right on the ocean :)

Another wonderful opportunity this program offers is the month long independent project that closes out the semester. You can choose any topic to research and the wonderfully connected staff find you great advisors to help you with your projects that are unbelievably knowledgable. I studied at the main dance academy in Nicaragua studying the past and present of the modern dance movement within the country. My research brought about really great insight into Nicaraguan history overall as well as some valuable knowledge about eh Nicaraguan people. It even lead to me being awarded a Fulbright research grant to come back and continue that research post-college.

This program is definitely atypical for study abroad. It's not a easy semester away from college to party and go out on the town. While there are opportunities to have an active social life and night life, it is not the focus of the program. The academic experience is vigorous and is the center of the program. I learned more than I ever expected and worked really hard all semester long but loved every second of it.
I can't wait to get back to Nicaragua.. this experience most certainly made me fall in love with the country~

If I could change one thing it would be that the program was a bit longer. It's only 3.5 months and its packed to capacity with activities and excursions. There really isn't any downtime. I found that sometimes I missed out on lounging and hanging out with my home stay family. But other than that I really don't have any complaints

An invaluable challenge

There are so many strengths to SIT Nicaragua; it's hard to know where to start. The host families and the neighborhood we live in are a great experience. The program staff is absolutely amazing in allowing you to acclimate to the culture, while also providing appropriate guidance. And I cannot say enough about the gains I made in my Spanish or the perspectives I gamed, academically and socially. This program is a unique challenge, but if you are up to it, it will be one of the best things you've ever done.