Ecuador: Comparative Ecology and Conservation
SIT Study Abroad participant SIT Study Abroad participant

Ecuador: Comparative Ecology and Conservation

Ecology in Ecuador

This program was perfect for me--as someone who is very interested in ecological and conservation science, Ecuador was the ideal place to be. Ecuador has a variety of different ecosystems, including tropical rainforest, mountain highlands, cloud forests, and the Galapagos, all of which I got to visit on this program. A few of my highlights were: swimming with penguins and sea lions in the Galapagos, birdwatching on a canopy-level platform in the Amazon rainforest, and seeing a jaguar from our boat along the Napo river. My favorite part about the program itself was definitely the experiential learning style that was emphasized. We had lectures from renowned scientists in Quito (our home base) which were balanced out and enhanced by our in-the-field lectures, where we could learn about all the plants and animals that we were actually seeing in their natural habitat. If you're someone who loves being outside and learning about the nature around you, this program will be a good fit.

An absolutely amazing semester!

I don't study science, so this program was a bit of a stretch for me to start. That said, I had the best semester of my life. I learned all about the diverse ecosystems of one of the most amazing countries on the planet, visited the páramo (highlands), cloud forest, Amazon, and the Galápagos, made 20 incredible friends, learned from several amazing professors, and grew to love my homestay family. What more could you ask for?

Fantastic program! Would do it over a million times

This program was definitely a once-in-a-lifetime experience. From the excursions to the wonderful homestays, every aspect of the semester was fantastic. At the end of the semester we each got to do an independent study project for a month, which was a great opportunity and life-changing experience. After this semester, I felt more confident, more fluent in Spanish, and more experienced with environmental science--and I had a great time!!

Learning Ecology in the Field in Ecuador!

SIT Ecuador: Comparative Ecology and Conservation is a phenomenal program for students looking to learn more about ecology and to learn Spanish better while continuing to study biology. The excursions are the best part of the program, and you get to travel to the Galapagos, the Amazon, the Cloud Forest, and the paramo (an ecosystem high in the mountains that are mainly grasslands). Moreover, you get to spend a month doing an independent study, and it is a great time to learn about scientific methods and research, while becoming very independent.

An experience so amazing!

This is a hard one, as there are many amazing moments. Overall, my experience during ISP will be the most memorable. I spent a month in a small village, where I was immersed in the life of an Ecuadorian family. This experience was so different from my daily life in the US, and I had lots of time to ponder my own life while I was there. Conducting an independent research project successfully was also a valuable experience for my personal and academic development.

I wanted to go to a Spanish speaking country and learn about ecology and conservation, with opportunity to travel. This was the perfect program for my interests.

While in Quito, I lived with a host family in the Northern end of town. I had my own bedroom and they provided me three meals a day. Their apartment was 30-40 minutes away from our classroom building. I also stayed in hostels, 2 very short-term rural home-stays, and a month long rural home-stay during my ISP.

An Amazing Experience!

I would recommend this program to anyone interested in ecology and conservation, with some sense of adventure. I wasn't sure what to expect from my experience, but ended up incredibly happy with my time there. I can't deny that there are flaws in the program, but I enjoyed almost every moment in Ecuador and feel lucky to have seen and learned things that I would not have otherwise.

Excursioning in Ecuador's Wilds

The highlight of this program is definitely the excursions, my favorites being to a cloud forest lodge and an Amazonian lake. The former had a ridiculous number of hummingbirds, some of which landed on my hand, while the latter had water birds, caimans, and millions of fireflies. The independent study project was also great; I was high in the mountains studying birds and it was a fantastic field research opportunity. That being said, I found the academics (barring the independent study) to be quite easy, especially the ecology and biology. However, I found the botany portion interesting, as I was not familiar with plant families before the program. Also, traveling so much with other Americans reduces the chances for immersion, going out, and language learning, but I was there for the flora and fauna, so that trade off was totally fine.