The World Campus - Get Unique Access to Japan!

by World Campus International, Inc.

1. Home
  2. Providers
  3. World Campus International, Inc.
  4. The World Campus - Get Unique Access to Japan!

Take part in a short-term summer study program located in different regions across Japan with World Campus International, Inc. This three-week program offers participants the opportunity to grow professionally and gain cultural and international experience in a non-traditional setting, all while enjoying the backdrop of the Japanese culture. Participants get to experience an authentic Japanese lifestyle by staying with warm and hospitable local families. They would also get to see famous cultural sites, eat delicious and exotic food, and learn more about Japanese traditions.

The program is limited to participants 17 years of age and above.

Program Highlights

Live with a host family and immerse in the culture.

Experience modern Japan while sharing your own culture.

Volunteer your talents with ordinary citizens, school children, disabled people, and the elderly.

Learn Japanese traditions and visit regional sites of interest.

Attend music, dance, and cultural performances.

Program Reviews

Most Recent
×

Life changing experience!

- Belgium

August 4, 2018

Going into this, I didn't expect it to change my life to this extent in such a positive way!
I met many kind people of different nationalities, from different backgrounds and learned how to be more open and make new friends. The hostfamilies were always so kind and open. They really felt like a real family to me. I still stay in contact with all the people I met while in Japan with world campus.
I learned so much about Japan and Japanese culture aswel as how to respect others and always be open minded and kind, then good things will come your way easily.
Everything was always very well planned out and dealt with properly. We could turn to the staff at any time for anything we might want to ask or need. We became a big family over the course of session 2, which I attended. I definitely recommend the experience and will myself hopefully be returning somehow!

An amazing experience full of unforgettable memories and everlasting friendships

- Denmark

April 9, 2018

I participated in the second and third section of the World Campus 2015 program. It is safe to say that the World Campus Japan program is an unforgettable experience. I met so many amazing people during my time in Japan, not only Japanese people but also people from many other countries as well.

What I like the most about this program is the host families. Usually, you’ll have one host family per week, three host families per section. From the first day, I really felt like being a part of the families I visited. These families are just so welcoming, open, curious and lovable. I felt that every one of my six host families would show me the whole world if the could!

Of course, it is a huge thing to say that an experience is ‘the best you’ve ever had’, however, I definitely think that World Campus International Japan was that experience – it meant that much to me. I had six amazing host families and we still have a strong connection. Even though it has been almost three years, I still communicate almost daily with my previous host families either through Line, Facebook or Skype.

The absolute best!

- United States

March 29, 2018

World Campus Japan is truly the best program I have ever attended. I made some wonderful friends (shout-out to Vlad, Andrea, Markus, Hinata-chan, and all the amazing counselors!!), forged bonds with my host families, and experienced Japan in the best way possible. I would recommend anyone interested in exploring the Japanese culture (while making some international friends on the way) to apply! It will be a once in a lifetime experience!

A true experience

March 27, 2018

I'm not usually great with writing things or explaining things very well but I can say that, with this program you really will get a great experience. You not only get to go to japan and see what it has to offer but you get to experience every day life there as well. When you first get your first host family you are treated with truly kind and amazing hospitality from this amazing people. Even though you are with them for only a week you truly make connections with them and they treat you just like family. I still keep contact with my host families.

You get to explore the wonders that japan has to offer from their food to their culture to their old historic sites. World Campus really gives you an opportunity to truly get in touch and fall in love with japan. Always making you want to come back for more

The best way to experience Japan

- Norway

March 20, 2018

I have been to nine different countries on various occasions, and among all of them, nothing even comes close to my experiences in Japan with World Campus. There is a good reason I have joined that program three times already.

Through traveling with World Campus I have stayed with 16 host families, all of whom welcome me back whenever I go to Japan. I have made friends with people from all over the world, including China, Sweden, The Netherlands, USA, Qatar and others. And perhaps most importantly, World Campus has allowed me to develop as a human being. All of this, despite not knowing a single word of Japanese before joining. One the other hand, the program has taught me how to communicate without a common language, and also taught me some Japanese.

Overall, what World Campus does right is their hands-on approach - learning by doing. Wouldn't it be cool to see a real samurai demonstrate how to use a katana? You know what would be even cooler? To then have the samurai hand you their sword and teach you how to use it. World Campus has offered me plenty such experiences. I didn't just get to watch an elementary school teacher teach their class, I got to join them teaching. I have practiced zen meditation with a real buddhist monk, and joined a traditional tea cermony organized by a true master. And I have experienced things I never had imagined even existed, such as how to do furoshiki - an old way of wrapping your belongings in practical and decorative Japanese cloth.

The core experience however, the one that really makes you feel that you get to see Japan from the inside, is being able to live with host families during your entire stay. By living with other families, I was able to observe and take part in daily routines, eat authentic homemade food that can't be found anywhere else, and truly feel like I was a part of the family. Through sharing culture from my own country, I also learned a lot about myself.

I heartly recommend this program to anyone looking for a unique, lifechanging and unforgettable experience!

The experience of my life!! (no kidding)

- Colombia

March 11, 2018

WCI has been the best experience in my life and it totally got me as a sorprise.

I am a Colombian student and I wanted to travel to Japan with my friend Natalia. It was an impulse, I just started to google summer camps and classes of Japanese. I didn't know how, but I had to go to Japan. In one page I found WCI and it was PERFECT: the dates, the activities, all in english... It was even more than I was looking for.

We were able to travel to so different places in the countryside of Japan, and see cities and people. We were like rock stars jajaja. The japanese people is not used to see foreign people in places different than Tokyo. We appeared in television and in news papers. Everyday I had a TOTALLY NEW ESPERIENCE that reminded me as when I was little and they got to explain how the world works... something like that.

I went knowing NOTHING about japanese. I started to read my travel book in the plain just to learn two word hahaha and it was awesome how much I started to get. Maybe not to translate, but the last weeks I was getting the idea of what they were talking in japanese!

About the group of people in WCI, they were amazing! I am not that good at making friends, so I was relief I had Natalia (my colombian friend). After the first city, I was realizing I not just had the oppportunity to talk to all af the group, but that I was getting closer to them.

Well, for conclusion, if you like japan, or you are just curious of their culture, or if you just like to travel, and want a full inmerse experience with wonderful people, here is the place.

I feel there's so much more to say. If you have any questions, here is my mail if you would like to talk: nickyroserohotmail.com.

Nicole Rosero Samudio.

Japan forever

- Switzerland

March 11, 2018

For a long time it was a great wish to visit Japan. Then I learned about World Campus Japan and everything became better than expected.

The program gives only a hint of all the experience. It starts with the staff who organized the whole trip just perfect. And there is a lot of organization. Supported by local people and the families who allowed us to live in their homes.

I was really lucky with my two families. To me it felt, on both places, as I would be part of the family. They showed us their places, we were invited to their friends, we tasted many dishes and cooked it together. I felt welcome and pampered.

The program is a brilliant mix of culture, sports, nature, food and communication with people from every age group. We were invited to a tea ceremony, to a Kendo show, into a temple and so much more. We visited schools and a retirement home and a maple plantation. We saw an anime and after that we had the opportunity to talk to the filmmaker. The potluck parties at the end of every part were another of so many highlights. No, the whole trip was a highlight!

I’m grateful for all the experience I gained. Back at home it took me a while to process all the impressions. I still stay in contact with the families and most of the other people I met there.

This insight into Japan is really unique. I now nothing comparable that brings you closer to this great country. With all the colorful parts and friendly people. I was overwhelmed and still are, thinking of the time in Uda and Suita.

Thanks to Hiro and all his helping hands!
I benefitted so much from this program! It was worth every single Yen!

Meeting the best of Japan and the world

- China

December 10, 2017

I participated in Session 2, 2017. It was my first time in Japan as well as my first traveling on my own. Thanks to the great Hiro and our diligent counselors’ hard work, the schedules were so concise and guaranteed us a carefree trip throughout the three weeks. Being part of the World Campus community was such a wonderful experience because everybody on the team was so open-minded, friendly, impressively interesting, and supportive. I met so many great great friends I wouldn’t be able to meet elsewhere!
World Campus is indeed a unique access to Japan. The three cities we visited varied from each other a lot so everybody seemed to feel excited and curious and willing to explore all the time. Especially, they were not places one would normally be able to visit traveling alone: I stayed with the Okazaki family, my host family in Uda, Nara, at their temple Myoen-ji. It was definitely a once-in-a-life-time experience and I’m so blessed that I was able to be there and meet my host parents.
I couldn’t pick one specific high light of the trip because everything were just so amazing!
But here’s your warnings too:
World Campus has a really intense schedule and everyone tends to actively be involved all the time. So for those who seldom do exercise, you might get sick in the last few days like me and several other students did. It can be really tiring physically, so be prepared!
Be prepared for young children in your host families, especially if you are the single child like me. Your host brother/sister might run around you all the time and drag you to play video games and catch bugs with them and you have to bare with them laughing at you not understanding something they said. Especially they can be so cute that you can’t refuse to play with them and losing your little sleeping time.
World Campus wants its participants to be open to trying new things, which means you’ll happily meet our friend Natto.
4. For perspective Chinese participants: Get yourself a LINE on your phone before you come to World Campus>>> or you’ll have such a hard time trying in vain to get it but fail after all. Also, if you wish to keep in touch with your friends from World Campus after the program, either get a VPN or convince them to get WeChat :)

WCI is wonderful. I’m definitely going to participate again, and if you are also interested in Japan and meeting different people, then this is the place for you, too!

Program Details

Terms Available

Summer

• Age Requirement Varies

• Worldwide

This Program is also open to Couples.

• Contact Provider for Cost Details

• * Housing
    * Meals
    * Transportation during the Tour
    * Program Contents
    * Regional Learning related expenses such as entrance fees or for guides
    * Access to all Planned Community Partner Resources such as Facilities, Speakers, Special Guests, as well as activities with Businesses, Politicians and Organizations

• Home-stays

• Experience Required

• In-Person Interview when Feasible

Online Application

Phone/Video Interview

Physical Exam/Health Records

Related Programs

Volunteer World: Best Volunteer Abroad Programs Worldwide

Looking to apply your talent and expertise to a good cause? Find a program that matches your interests and skills through Volunteer World! We are the largest volunteer abroad comparison platform around the globe, enabling you to seek and compare offers from major travel agencies ...

Trainee English Conversation Instructors Needed in Hiroshima

Ark Foreign Language Academy is currently seeking Trainee English Conversation Instructors for a 12-week or longer contract. No experience is needed to apply and full support will be provided. Applicants must have native English level and must enjoy chatting with adults, and ...

Volunteer Abroad with an i-to-i TEFL/TESOL Course

If you're looking for the perfect volunteer abroad opportunity, then take an i-to-i TEFL qualification. With our range of classroom & online TEFL courses, you'll be able to start teaching and traveling quicker ...