Occupational therapy internships in South Africa
VACorps participants VACorps participants

Occupational therapy internships in South Africa

VAC will help you make Cape Town feel like home!

My experience in Cape Town would not have been the same without VAC and I am so appreciative I had help and guidance every step of the way. What VAC does for its interns is truly special. As interns, we land in this foreign city not knowing what to expect and we're nervous. Some interns have never had an ocean between them and their family which can be a frightening realization. It is the VAC team that takes this nervousness and changes it to excitement. VAC makes this foreign city truly feel like home, a place where you can conquer your goals and accomplish your dreams. For that, I can not thank you all enough. My experiences with VAC are ones I know I'll cherish always.

I loved almost everything about my internship. Each day was an opportunity to see and learn something new. I very much enjoyed when the OT and I would leave Site B and go to other clinics or do home visits. I also really appreciated the diversity amongst patients and it was refreshing to me to work with so many age groups. It was all around an eye opening experience and I wouldn't trade a second of it.

Tips for future interns at a township OT site:

Be openminded as working in a township clinic is nothing like you will have ever experienced. Take a journal to write notes in and also keep a journal at home, you will want to record these memories and what you have learned. Not necessary but beneficial, learn some basic introductory and medical terms in Xhosa. Patients are typically uncomfortable and being able to say "Hello, how are you?" in their own language can help ease that. It would be helpful to know medical terms for little things like body parts or descriptive words such as pain or swelling. Being able to speak to and understand your patients in their language eliminates some confusion and creates an instant level of respect that you are at least trying.

OT in Khayalitsha

At my internship I worked with various clients and patients ranging from a couple months old to elders with diverse backgrounds and needed areas of therapy. I was grateful to be in such a work environment and experience and gain so much. I had so much hands on experience that I would not get anywhere else. The skills I gained range from therapy techniques for paediatrics to elders with cerebral palsy, autism, strokes, aplasias, head injuries and much more. As well as birthing, immunisation and emergency experience.

Great program for internship opportunities

VAC has many connections and will be able to provide you with a great internship. I very much enjoyed my stay in Cape Town in and out of my internship experience. My internship allowed me to become more adaptable and sensitive to challenging situations. I witnessed various circumstances that I do not typically see at home. I became more proactive and learnt to manage my time efficiently. The time I spent in Cape Town made me feel more confident in my career choice and I am grateful to have spent the last 10 weeks here.

Tembaletu OT Internship

My internship at Tembaletu school introduced me to new therapy techniques and a new culture. I learned a great deal in my short time there and I am so thankful for this incredible opportunity. I enjoyed getting to observe therapists who clearly have a passion for their jobs and children who overcome daily obstacles and continue to inspire me.

The South African Wonderland

I had the most amazing time in South Africa and the staff at VAC helped to make this possible! It is a perfect place to complete an internship. You are surrounded by beauty everywhere you look and a vibrant city full of life!

The Rainbow Nation

This trip was a wonderful combination of challenging work, fun experiences and meeting so many different people. Cape Town provided everything from arts festivals, great food to scenic drives. I would recommend that students of any age come to study or work here.

Occupational Therapy at Woodside

Woodside is a tight knit community that welcomes one and all. Both the staff and residents are kind and uplifting. As an OT, I was able to apply my knowledge and grow as a therapist. It was a wonderful place to spend my five week internship.