Volunteer or Intern in a Medical Clinic in Peru
Vive Peru Vive Peru

Volunteer or Intern in a Medical Clinic in Peru

Rad!!

I participated in the VivePeru Summer 2017 Session One program and the experience was nothing short of amazing! I lived in Trujillo with two other girls in the program and we stayed with a host family who cooked us home made Peruvian meals everyday! Monday-Friday we went to work at the hospitals. We were able to be observe doctors in their everyday life to life situations in the hospitals and we even got to watch a few surgeries! On the weekends we didn't have work so we traveled to many different places and were able to hike in the most beautiful mountains. This was an experience of a life time and I am so sad to be leaving! There is no better way to meet new people, learn Spanish, learn about medicine, and experience a new and amazing culture all in one!

Peru!!

My experience in Peru was truly amazing! I learned so much in just a short 5 weeks, and I was able to meet some awesome people along the way :) I would recommend this program to anyone who has a heart for traveling and is interested in clinical medicine/public health or social work!

I don't want to leave!

I am so happy to have spent the past month in Otuzco, I fell in love with the town, the family who hosted us, and the doctors who we worked with! They all did everything they could to make our experience memorable and educative. I also enjoyed returning to Trujillo and traveling on the weekends for a change of scenery and to get to know more of Peru!

Invaluable experiences

Vive Peru gave me an opportunity to explore and understand Peruvian culture all while giving service to the local community. As a clinical medicine volunteer, I could not have asked for a more involved experience where I gained invaluable clinical insight. The physicians and nurses were also very accommodating and welcoming despite having a language barrier; they sincerely wanted volunteers to experience Peruvian healthcare. All individuals involved with Vive Peru were always so friendly and understanding, making this a program I would gladly repeat given the chance.

Vive Peru ROCKS!

Coming into this program, I had no idea what to expect. I had always wanted to do something abroad, but I had never done anything like it before. This was the perfect first experience traveling to another country. Being in the clinical medicine program, I was able to see surgeries and shadow doctors in areas that I hadn't had the opportunity to shadow in the U.S. It was somewhat difficult overcoming the language barrier, but there were always people to help when needed, and the whole experience just taught me how to listen. The medical campaign that was built into the program was one of my favorite parts because we had actual hands on patient care. This part of the program was what truly convinced me that I wanted to be a pediatrician. In addition to this, we worked with a couple of communities, which was so humbling yet so empowering. Being able to contribute to these families and work with the children has given me some of the most rewarding memories. Lastly, the coordinators and the people that were a part of the program made the experience as great as it was. I'm able to leave saying I've made friendships that have made me feel like I've known these people for more than 3 weeks, and I know I'll keep in touch with everyone after my session is over. This is an experience that everyone needs to have. Vive Peru allows you to find the perfect balance between traveling to a foreign country and immersing yourself in its beautiful culture!

VivePeru clinical medicine

Vive Peru is an outstanding program. The staff is wonderful and made this trip a memorable experience. I would highly recommend Vive Peru to anyone interested in clinical medicine abroad. I was able to get hands-on experience as well as shadowing physicians in various hospitals. It was a privilege to spend my winter break with Vive Peru. This experience was truly invaluable.

My unforgettable experience

I stayed in Trujillo, Peru and was able to stay for 5 weeks, with the best host family i could have asked for. This experience was the best travel abroad experience I have ever had and I am planning on going back in the future because it was so great. The staff of Vive Peru (both in America and Peru) are so helpful, friendly, and willing to answer any and all questions and the community members that we work with (in Peru) are so grateful and unforgettable. The mix of hands on experience and shadowing opportunities we were given was great, and I was able to witness a lot of surgeries and procedures including C-sections, laparoscopic surgeries, tooth extractions, a live birth and others! Furthermore, we also got the opportunity to work with children in an underprivileged community which is one of my fondest memories. I really felt like I made a difference in the community I worked in but also was not too overwhelmed with volunteering and was able to travel on the weekends to explore more of Peru. Overall, I would not change this experience for the world and would recommend this program to anyone interested in travelling and making a difference at the same time.

Summer w/ Vive Peru

Vive Peru was an outstanding company to volunteer with abroad. As a pre-med student in college, I searched high and low for months for a program that I felt was fairly priced and offered me the most opportunities. I finally found my answer when I came across Vive Peru. This company is a registered non-profit which immediately showed me they were here solely to improve the lives of people in Peru and to give students amazing experiences they wouldn't have access to in the United States. Their purpose was NOT to make money. Which makes complete for a program that is supposed to be about volunteering, right? Unfortunately not many other programs think so and charge very high rates for a minimal amount of time. I felt this program was very fairly priced for all programs. I chose the 5 week clinical medicine program in Trujillo, Peru. I then extended my trip 3 days for the optional Cusco and Machu Picchu trip all planned by Vive Peru. Easy peasy for me! From start to finish, Vive staff and the founder herself were there. I absolutely adore my host family and I know all the other volunteers in my session feel the same about theirs. Living in a home truly immerses you in the Peruvian culture. I had delicious and traditional food, loving support from a Peruvian family, and felt my environment was very safe and clean! Though the home stay is amazing, the best part is the work we do while we are here. In 5 weeks I completed around 86 hours of volunteer/internship work. This includes direct placement into hospitals serving those less fortunate, preparing for community workshops, and the community workshops themselves where we were able to directly work in the community to teach mothers and children healthy lifestyle practices. In addition, we also had the opportunity to do an incredible medical campaign giving dozens of patients free medical care...and yes, the volunteers get to run the show alongside staff and doctors. The hands on and up close and personal experiences I had here are ones you can't compare! From scrubbing into intricate surgeries to giving a patient an EKG, I will forever carry the skills and information I learned here. Now of course after all this work, we needed some time for play. With the schedule Vive Peru set up, volunteers can freely travel on the weekends to other beautiful parts of Peru. And, the Vive Peru staff are there to help with transportation and hostel accommodations. Overall, this program has it all! I will never forget this volunteer internship abroad. It was truly the trip of a lifetime! If you're looking for a company that gives you the most clinical experience, hands on community impact opportunities, genuinely strives to better the area in which we work, and offers all of this at an unbeatable price, Vive Peru is the program for you!

Hands on experience

Never would I have imagined myself being so immersed into the medical field as an undergraduate! Vive Peru has given me the opportunity to learn about medicine whether it was the medical classes, observing surgeries or participating in the community workshops. Being opened to these opportunities has allowed me to help hands on and actually make a difference. I highly recommend this clinical medicine program to anyone who wants to learn more about medicine or wants to continue the practice of it.

Trujillo clinical medicine intern/volunteer

Vive Peru was more than I ever could have imagined! The entire staff goes above and beyond to make sure you're happy, get the hands on experience you need, and are comfortable at all times. My time spent with them was filled with trips that gave me insight into various Peruvian cultures, tons of hands on experience, and multiple opportunities to get involved with the community! Being a part of Vive Peru ultimately helped me to solidify my choice in pursuing clinical medicine in the future! I would 10/10 recommend to anyone looking to go abroad!

Medical volunteer

Volunteering in Trujillo, Peru was an extremely humbling and meaningful opportunity, where I was given the chance to make an impact on an impoverished community. The trip put into perspective how many people across the world struggle to get by each day, and therefore how every contribution could make a difference. Working directly with doctors and nurses at clinics was a great opprtunity to learn how to interact and treat patients. Furthermore, working with the kids of the community every week was great. They were excited to learn and brought smiles and happiness along with them. Hopefully through the work the volunteers provide, we can make a lasting impact on these communities.
I would definitely recommend viveperu to anyone who wishes to travel to this country, while helping underserved communites. Peru is a country that is rich in culture and has beautiful landscape everywhere. VIVEPERU!

Unforgettable Experience

Upon arriving to Peru, I knew that this medical internship would be one I would never forget. Not only were the staff welcoming and helpful, but right away we were being emerged into the culture by eating the food and exploring new places. I got to live in a wonderful city, Pacasmayo and I got to say what an enriching city! I also had a wonderful host family. On top of that, my clinic was amazing too! I got to learn a lot from the doctors I shadowed. I would definitely recommend Vive Peru to anyone that would like an internship that is hands on and gives you the opportunity to explore Peru. On the plus side, you get to live in a beautiful place with so much background! I would definitely go again!

Volunteering Abroad

My experience as a medical volunteer in Peru was deeply impactful. It enabled me to gain first hand experience in a clinical setting that was unique from experiences available in the U.S., while simultaneously immersing me in the Peruvian life. I left Peru with a better understanding and ability to perform basic clinical skills, as well as a much deeper appreciation for the Peruvian culture.

Vive Peru Volunteer and In Country Coordinator

I had a great experience with Vive Peru. The program did a great job integrating me into a clinic where I was able to observe nurses and doctors and occasionally participate in clinic work. Working with the kids in El Progreso, an impoverished neighborhood within Trujillo, was one of the more influential moments of my college career. Extremely kind and fun children. My host family was extremely welcoming and I still talk to them to this day. As a coordinator, I was able to see the tremendous amount of work the staff puts into ensuring a safe, enjoyable trip for all volunteers. Open for all types of volunteers, no matter the abilities or Spanish speaking skills, something unique I've found in my immersion experience. An admittedly biased review but in my opinion, this is a great trip, especially if you're trying to find an immediate outlet to utilize health/engineering/musical training at a young age in a meaningful, volunteer setting.

Clinical medicine volunteer in Peru

Vive Peru was one of the best experiences of my life. Trujillo was an amazing city and my host family was incredible. This program helps you improve your Spanish and you get practical experience in the medical field. Everyday I voluntereed I saw and learned something new. I also got to travel to several places within the country where I surfed and hiked. Even though I volunteered with vive Peru over a year ago, I still think about the trip nearly everyday.

Clinical Medicine Experience in Otuzco

I volunteered with VivePeru about 3 years ago and loved my experience in the mountains of Otuzco! I was able to learn about a new culture while also interacting with healthcare professionals and practicing my Spanish. This trip was a key factor in my decision to pursue a career in medicine and provided me with invaluable hands-on experience in clinics and hospitals in Peru. The summer after I volunteered, I returned as an In-Country Coordinator with the program, which provided me with a great opportunity to gain leadership experience while serving as a guide and support to new volunteers. The staff at VivePeru are wonderful to work with and their passion for what they do is contagious. I hope to return to Otuzco with VivePeru in the future and am excited to watch this organization grow!

Clinical Medicine Volunteer in Trujillo

Although excited, I honestly had no idea what to expect when applying to this program. Nevertheless, the scenarios I played through in my head ultimately paled in comparison to the adventure I experienced in Peru. Never before in my life had I enjoyed being so far out of my comfort zone as I did with viveperu. Everyday was a journey as I did something new in a place that was all but unknown to me. I honestly wouldn’t trade this experience for 10 clinical programs in the USA simply because of the unique strengths it offers. Not only is Peru a stunningly beautiful country, but also a land of stunningly kind and wonderful people. To top it all off, viveperu has one of the greatest and most authentic volunteering staffs I have ever seen, and it attracts some of the most fun and interesting volunteers I have ever met. I now have a great motivation to improve my Spanish so that I can revisit one day.

Medical Intern

My experience was one of a kind. There is nothing more exciting and rewarding I have ever done in my entire life. Everyday was an adventure and everyday gave me something new to learn. The doctors there let you see so much which really helped me decide that medicine is the field I want to pursuit. The people in Peru are so inviting and loved helping their American friend learn spanish! I love this program and the staff, at the end of all of it we became family. I'll be back!

Invigorating experience

Spending a month with this program was one of the best of my life. Very enlightening in terms of both medical knowledge and general philosophy. Program is well run and makes it possible for one to truly experience the beauty of the country in just one months time.

Medical Volunteer in Otuzco

I had an amazing time during my summer abroad in Peru! This program is very hands on and allows for many interactive opportunities that I wouldn't have been able to experience in the US. I had a great time making new friends, hanging out with my host family, and exploring a lot of Peru on the weekends. This was such an incredible experience and I recommend it to anyone with a sense of adventure and an interest in the medical field! I hope to go back during my gap year after undergrad!

A whole new world

Living in Pacasmayo for Winter Break was one of the best decisions I ever made. Not only did I have the chance to travel to a new place and completely immerse myself in Peruvian culture but I also got to make a difference in the community. We ran 3 successful Medical Clinics in the short time I was there. My host family and I are still in touch and I have every intention of returning to see the progress this program has made!

Public health volunteer program

As a Public Health volunteer, we were working directly with the community on a daily basis. I think the best part of the program is the continuity of community work. This is not a program that does one good deed and leaves - instead, the projects are ongoing and picked up by each new volunteer class per season (volunteers visit year-round and Vive Peru staff work in the community year-round as well). We conducted home visits centered around health and quality of living and community health workshops for mothers, and we also taught health workshops in local schools. We had the opportunity to participate in 3 medical campaigns in different communities, where many different health organizations came out together to provide free health and wellness services to those who inhabited each area. At these campaigns, we worked in triage (taking vitals), a hemoglobin "lab" (collecting blood samples), and a pharmacy (exactly what you imagine someone working at a pharmacy does). Creativity and taking initiative was encouraged by staff, and we were able to put some great ideas to work in the community! Overall, my experience was exactly what I wanted it to be. Thank you Vive Peru! #teampublichealth

Vive Peru volunteer

Its an experience of a lifetime full of volunteer opportunities, health experience, and most importantly community impact! As a clinical medicine and public health volunteer not only did I get to make an impact on several communities, I gained experience for my future career goals. One of my favorite parts of the program was working with kids with our health education campaigns and bonding activities. This program also offered opportunities to explore paths that I might of not done otherwise. Great experience, that will make these memories priceless.

Rewarding experience with Vive Peru

There were many activities I loved doing while completing my internship in Peru with Vive Peru. I had the privilege to be in Peru for two sessions doing Public Health as well as Clinical Medicine which gave me a perspective of both. I was able to do home visits, help in clinics, do campaigns, and go to the elementary schools to promoting health bas well as shadow doctors in surgeries and learn about different specialties. One challenge we faced every day is the lack of resources and the socioeconomic status of the families we visit and the children we teach. The communities we visit have a very low socioeconomic status and when promoting health, we have to be careful on what we tell them since in many situations, they aren't able to afford the healthier foods we tell them to eat. In addition, when we go to the elementary schools, it is hard to tell the children to change their toothbrush every 3 months when they barely have enough money to eat. I have learned that even if we face these challenges, we can do something to be able to help them. Vive Peru and the volunteers help these families with resources that were donated so they can be able to live a healthier lifestyle. In addition, my coordinators have experience with these communities and I have learned so much from them to be able to do a better job. For other health professionals that are facing this challenge, I would start by developing a close relationship with the people of the communities and learn everything about them to be able to help them better. In addition, the experience gets even better since you are placed with a host family and get to learn so much about the Peruvian culture which is one of the best cultures I have ever experienced. You also get to meet great people in this program with similar goals which is awesome because you leave with all these friendships that can give job opportunities in the future. 10 weeks in Peru was not enough time to help the people in need so there is a big possibility I might return in the future. If you are looking for a volunteer or internship experience, don't wait and apply now, you will not regret this experience. Until next time Peru, it's been real!

Otuzco summer 2017!

Really enjoyed my experience with Vive Peru in Otuzco! The program was a good mix of work and learning, along with fun and exploring the country. I thought that Vive Peru offered a good amount of support throughout my time there, and the program as a whole was well organized. I gained a lot from my experience in Peru, both in terms of medical knowledge and in terms of self growth!