USAC CHINA: Chengdu-Chinese Language and Culture Studies
University Studies Abroad Consortium participants University Studies Abroad Consortium participants

USAC CHINA: Chengdu-Chinese Language and Culture Studies

Amazing program: academics and travel experiences

The staff was all very helpful and supportive. They cared about their students and wanted the best for us. The way the language classes are set up in tracks (3 classes per semester) was amazing. It pushed everyone to work hard and we all learned a lot. Professors were good at teaching us language skills we would need outside of the classroom. I took supplemental Buddhism and modern history cultural classes. The Buddhism class was not only interesting but we got to take field trips to different temples and monasteries to see the religion in person. The professor was very kind and I appreciated all her knowledge in the class. The history class was long and could get boring at times but I learned a lot from it. I think the set up of it could be changed so that it does not seem so monotonous. As a program we went on many field trips and had the freedom to take our own personal trips which I highly recommend if you want to get the best experience possible. There was a wide range of trips that we took from Le Shan Da Fo (Big Buddha) to shopping markets and museums. We had tour guides and English translators to help teach us about what we were about to see. These trips were included in the price of the program so no extra cost was needed. The Hong Kong Trip (changes with each program season) was highly worth it. You get to know your classmates right away but you also get to explore China before you have to get to school. There is a lot of free time however. Chinese classes are 4 days a week whereas cultural classes are usually 1-2 a week. So take that time to explore the city. Bus maps are handed out at the beginning. If ever you need help the staff is willing to provide any information you need. We even had enough time to take personal travels a group went to Xi'an to see the Terra Cotta Warriors. A few groups went to Jiuzhaigou (which is beautiful). I was able to go on a trip to Thailand. I rode an elephant, sea walked, snorkeled, and got to see Buddhist temples (along with another Big Buddha). We even went to cave monastery. Take advantage of your time abroad see everything you can. Appreciate every minute. Keep in touch with everyone.

Study abroad in Chengdu

Going to Chengdu with USAC was one of the best experiences of my life! I loved it so much that I extended from one to two semesters. The staff there were absolutely amazing, have been there a really long time and willing to help with anything. Living at the dorms was fun and really convenient to go out and explore the city. My Chinese improved heaps and heaps over the year I was there and I made friends that I will have for life. USAC was definitely a great choice!

USAC-Chengdu, China

An amazing program in an amazing city. Chengdu was an amazing time surrounded by amazing people. The program it self was well managed by the administrators, professors dedicated to your success and great living conditions. The program administrators back in the U.S. or while in China are always willing to help. We had a few great cultural field trips that have perfect timing with school work and presentations. China is a different world, but Chengdu is a world you will never want to leave. Highly recommend the program with USAC and highly recommend Chengdu.

5 weeks in Chengdu: summer 2016

I had such a fantastic time studying in Chengdu. I will say that if you are looking to have a study abroad experience that is well organized and makes sure you are comfortable and adjusted as you experience life in a new location, this might not be the best program for you. While Wentao and the other staff members did a great job at facilitating the USAC program with all of its excursions and classes, they were very hands off about how you should experience Chengdu. Personally, I loved this because it allowed each student to discover the wonderful city in their own way and encouraged students to interact with other people and learn together. Of course, the office was always there to answer questions and make sure you were taken care of; they just didn't do it in a way that was overbearing or constricting.

On an academic note, all of the instructors I had were fantastic. Even though I was there to finish the last of my general education courses, meaning I didn't take any language classes, my professors still put a lot of passion into sharing Chinese culture with foreign students. The work load never got out of control either, which is great news to those who are more interested in the experience of living in China rather than the academic aspect.

From my short time in Chengdu, I developed so many close friendships with other students, the USAC staff and professors, and locals. As long as you understand that adapting to and experiencing Chengdu culture is in your hands, then I wholeheartedly recommend this program.

Chengdu study abroad

Overall, I had a great experience with this program. I had to do a term abroad for my major but my school does not have any partnerships with universities in Asia so I searched endlessly for options that had language programs. Fortunately, I came across USAC and not only did it have the culture language I was looking for but it also was affordable compared to other study abroad programs.
Wentao and jiajing were great! The dorms were okay. There was mold and the beds were so old and hard but nothing I couldn't deal with.
There are alot of opportunities outside of classes to interact with the community, especially as English speakers so if you want to develop your language skills you definitely will!

Great time there, lack of help from USAC "helpers" I.e. Program directors, Central Office Staff.

The time in Chengdu was great. However, the program director was bothered by questions (seemed like it was a nuisance for her to help us figure things out). USAC Central office is also moody when it comes to questions. Hardly want to do their job. Shows that they are there just for a paycheck. Organization needs to be MAJORLY worked on. Never let us know our living arrangements or the agenda of activities until last minute. (Didn't know if we would stay in dorm, apartment, or home stay until we got to Chengdu). Also, the plane ride from Beijing to Chengdu was booked through USAC and some of us barely made it onto the plane before takeoff (poor time management skills on USAC) If you want a trip with lots of stress (both on the trip and afterwards when trying to figure out your final grades, payment balance, etc.) then by all means, choose USAC!! I for one would recommend not choosing this program! Many other issues! Avoid USAC, There are plenty of other study abroad programs.

Journey to Chengdu

Studying Abroad was the best decision of my life. I made many new friends and learned about a culture that I love. The program advisers were very helpful in making our transition form the states to China easy. Wentao and Jiajing were incredible and deserve all the praise they get. The teachers were also great and the cultural immersion was fascinating. From learning to make traditional Chinese food to temple travels in the mountains, you have endless possibilities of what to do in China

Great Semester in China

I really enjoyed this study abroad program. I was actually surprised by how much I liked it. During the week we're pretty busy with school work. Most people take 9 credits of Chinese so you are definitely going to have to study. You do have free time though to see Chengdu and travel on weekends. There was a field trip almost every other weekend. The field trips are optional but they are fun and worth going on. It's a good way to get to know the rest of the USAC students. Everyone gets to be really close friends. Studying abroad in Chengdu is a good way to learn Chinese. It forces you to speak Chinese and you have to talk to people all the time, especially to get food. Chengdu is an awesome city and lots of people like it so much that they end up extending their program and staying for a year. It really is a great study abroad program for learning Chinese but if you don't want to learn Chinese then perhaps look elsewhere. It is necessary to know some Chinese to get around Chengdu. If you want to learn Chinese though I highly recommend it! It is pretty laid back though and you will have some free time, which I enjoyed.

I took 9 credits of Chinese and the Chinese classes were great but the electives were not. I took 2 elective classes and I do not feel like either of them were worth my time. The electives classes are the reason this received a B-

I lived in an off campus apartment that was a 30 minute walk from campus. The apartments are pretty nice and big but the walk was slightly inconvenient. I had my own bedroom, which was nice. The on campus dorms are pretty nice too and you don't have roommates in the dorms.

In Chengdu, you are forced to speak Chinese because almost nobody speaks English. It's good for learning Chinese. The only thing is a lot of people tend to hang out in USAC groups. It's a lot of fun but it'd probably be more beneficial to meet more Chinese students. I guess this depends on you though. Some people were really good about going out and making Chinese friends.

The program directors were awesome and incredibly helpful with any problem you may have.