Volunteer Abroad In Peru - United Planet - 1-12 weeks
United Planet Header Image United Planet Header Image

Volunteer Abroad In Peru - United Planet - 1-12 weeks

The chance to have our entire family experience a new country has been amazing!

The chance to have our entire family experience a new country, culture and language has been amazing. At the same time being able to offer service has helped us reach beyond ourselves. In so doing, we have seen that whatever we are able to give is easily reciprocated 2 fold. My wife and kids have been able to connect at a personal level at the orphanage and my kids have exceeded my expectations in their willingness to get out of their shells. Language skills came faster than we expected. Working at the clinic was very rewarding with the sincere gratitude of the patients being my greatest reward. Going out to the small communities to connect with people in rural areas with virtually no access to health care was truly remarkable. This experience leaves me wanting more like it--that's what is neat--It makes you want to give more rather than want more for yourself.

It was unlike anything I'd ever imagined, and I truly enjoyed every second of it!

It was exciting and new. I never felt unsafe, despite travelling alone, and everyone involved with my Quest was incredibly nice and accommodating. I loved my volunteer location, my host family, my classes, and my experience. It was unlike anything I'd ever imagined, and I truly enjoyed every second of it. During this Quest, I learned how to take initiative, how to solve problems, how to improvise, and how to be flexible. It changed the way I see the world, the way I view my own world and circumstances. It is impossible to replicate, difficult to explain, but I learned more about myself and about my country. It changed me because I became more self-aware; it changed me because it taught me lessons in resilience and perseverance, courtesy of the animals I helped take care of in my three weeks.

I went to an amazing spanish school!

I was placed in two volunteer projects in Cusco. I went to an amazing spanish school where teachers offered one on one classes that were tailored to the specific needs of the students. I loved exploring Cusco with fellow volunteers and especially enjoyed going on field trips with the professors who knew the city much better than the students.

Life-changing!

My four weeks in Peru was, for a lack of better words, life-changing. I never expected that I would've learned so much in such a short amount of period. I volunteered at a clinic in which I was able to shadow dentists and provide assistance when it was needed. As a pre-dental student, I was not able to provide as much help as I wanted. Nevertheless, the little things I did, whether it be calling the patients into the office or replacing suction tubes, made me realize that curing is not the only thing that matters: caring is just as important in the field of health care. Looking at the dentists interact with the patients with such impassioned hearts proved the enormous power of empathy and compassion in a clinical setting--a vigor that showed that dentistry can mean more than conducting procedures and dispensing medication.

I learned a lot!

What I enjoyed most about the quest was working with the children. They were always happy to see us and a lot of fun to be around. I think the most challenging part was adjusting to a new culture and different way of life but I learned a lot and have returned home with a different perspective on a lot of things and am more grateful for my own home.

They melt my heart!

If there is one thing that I have taken away from this experience, it is to be thankful for what I have and the life I live. I worked at an after school program for underprivileged children. It was a reality check. So many of those children are put to work to help provide for their family or are put in charge of their younger siblings when they themselves are too young to be unsupervised. Despite not having a "typical" childhood and having so little, they were some of the happiest children I have ever seen. They melt my heart, and I miss them already!! Oh, and Machu Picchu was pretty cool too!

A memory I carry with me for the rest of my life

Anyone will tell you that volunteering will completely change your perspective on life, but once you get out of you comfort zone to do it for yourself you will understand what they are talking about. United Planet has provided the perfect opportunity for me to grow as a person through volunteering. My Quest with the children in Peru is going to be a memory I carry with me for the rest of my life. One of my favorite memories of my Quest is that every day three children would run down the hill to simply give us the world's biggest hug. This is the greatest feeling in the entire world. The children of Peru have so much love to offer to volunteers. Take the leap of faith. Volunteer. It is not a decision that you will every regret.

I felt very safe and this was extremely excellent

I was glad I was able to interact with the kids and immerse myself in the beautiful culture of Peru. I was also more than glad to be able to work with some amazing people on the trip.I really enjoyed being able to interact with kids and use knowledge I had already learned in school and apply them while out on the field. Despite this, I found it really hard to communicate with the children sometimes because they spoke Spanish so quickly, and for someone who was not as fluent, it was really difficult for me to comprehend what they were trying to say sometimes.

I really enjoyed my experience in Peru

I really enjoyed the Spanish classes and how welcoming the orphanage was to guests. My Spanish teacher was so friendly and provided me the perfect instruction, and the orphanage placement was lenient and independent. It was something I will never forget.

I enjoyed this quest because it pushed me

I enjoyed this quest because it pushed me. It pushed me to practice my Spanish, it pushed me to become more independent, and it pushed me to become the person I am now. I know that I'm a person who needs to be pushed in order to face up to a challenge, and I'm glad that my Quest pushed me. Because of this push, I know that I am capable of anything I set my mind to.

I only wish I would've stayed longer

The other girls staying at my host family will be friends that will last a lifetime, my host family was amazing and I made several other amazing friends. Not only did I work with some of the most amazing kids in the world, I also made such great relationships with the other volunteers that I met there.

The people at the project were very supportive and welcoming

The most enjoyable part was the time we spent at the orphanage. It was an amazing experience and one where I grew a lot, especially with communication. I was not a Spanish speaker before this trip, but having an awesome Spanish teacher, I was able to learn a lot and communicate better with the kids. It was amazing to me that even without my Spanish skills, I was able to help out and connect with the students so much. I also loved the Salkantay trek and meeting amazing people during this experience. While it was super challenging, I am proud to have completed it. I am going to take back my skills that I learned here into my classroom that I teach in back at home. I have several students who are language learners and now I understand better about what they are going through and how I can better support them.

My experience on my quest cannot be described in words

My experience on my quest cannot be described in words. It was such an amazing trip and I learnt so much about life in a different culture. It is very intimidating traveling by yourself, especially to a place that does not speak your native language. All of the challenges allowed me to learn a lot about myself and made me realize that I can do anything.

My quest opened my eyes

My quest opened my eyes about what happens around the world. I established amazing relationships with people who I will remain in contact with for a long time. This trip was absolutely life changing. The tastes, smells and cultural experiences were somethings I will never forget. I am forever grateful to be able to experience such an amazing adventure so young.

There was not one thing that I disliked about the trip.

Everything was very organized. When we arrived we got a schedule of the events that were taking place and we did everything that was on the schedule. Everyone was very nice!

There was not one thing that I disliked about the trip. Peru taught me a ton of Spanish that I can now use in my practice. The culture, the language and the people just made it such an incredible experience that I cannot put into words.

I really enjoyed working in the clinics and being able to go to a community to help people

I enjoyed working in the community the most. I was able to be more "hands-on" working with patients. I would have preferred working in the community for the week over the clinic because that was more observational. The most challenging part about this trip was the language barrier. I barely can speak Spanish and the people in Peru spoke so fast that I couldn't really understand much. But, I also had a translator/spanish teacher, Frank, who was great and really helped me out throughout the entire trip. Also he was the best Spanish teacher I have had.

One of the most enjoyable things about my Quest was meeting the other volunteers. We were all from different places and it was nice to have a common connection. I made friends that I will keep in touch with when I return home.

My host mom, Doris, was very kind and always made sure that I was safe and took great care of me! The volunteer coordinator, Winnie Dekker, was always available and helpful. Winnie is very approachable and willing to listen to questions and concerns.

Everyone was very welcoming at my volunteer site.

This quest and trip in general was one of the best experiences of my life. I learned about healthcare and life in the city of Cuzco. Everyone was welcoming at the Spanish school and my volunteer site. I met many people from all over the world. I got to experience the majestic Machu Picchu. This quest has confirmed my initial desire to continue partaking in international volunteering.

A Life Changing Time in Peru

I wasn't quite sure what to expect in this experience. I was travelling alone with my two children and wasn't sure about safety, etc. I have traveled quite a bit and to many 3rd world countries but this experience truly changed our lives. To live and work in the community and experience the culture, people and heartache was amazing. The absolute best part of our trip was volunteering in the orphanage. The kids were so adorable. It warmed my heart and broke it at the same time, working with them every day. How little they have and how grateful they are for people to come and just play with them.

Unforgettable Experience in Cusco

My experience was very good because it provided me both personal and professional challenges to overcome and learn from. In addition to immersing myself in a foreign culture and improving my Spanish speaking skills, I gained an immense amount of experience in the medical field while being able to help the local community at the same time. The seven weeks I spent in Peru have very much helped me develop skills that are fundamental to being a successful professional in the medical field. The people I met in Cusco, both local and foreign, as well as the cultural experiences I had were fantastic and unforgettable.

Adventuring On My Own

The wild dogs on the streets were very freaky, many chased me! I loved being able to go to the school and meet other people in the program. I also loved being able to volunteer- though I do feel it is important for administration to remember we are volunteering, it is not mandatory. I went out on my own to visit the salineras- I would recommend that everyone adventures out on their own without a huge group and tour bus, it was an amazing experience. Walk everywhere, it is very possible and you are able to experience so much more of the city and meet many interesting people.

A Home Away From Home

I really enjoyed the home stay. My family was very supportive and a joy to be around. The Spanish classes were helpful. I also enjoyed the extra events (such as: cooking & pan flute classes and the excursions).

A Very Good Learning Experience

Overall this was a very good learning experience for me. I felt that the volunteer sites was a very good experience but only if your proactive. We were able to do and observe many things that we wouldn't have been able to in the US. Within the sites theres really isn't much direction you have to find your own things to do. This is fine it just would be more helpful to know exactly what to do that way you can get the most out of the experience. The excursions included in the trip were amazing, you learn so much about the culture and the views are great. The food was great, I loved our host mom. She was very understanding if we couldn't make it back to dinner and was always trying to be helpful. My only comment would be that there should be a little more organization within the program in order to better the experience of the volunteers.

I really enjoyed spending time at the Orphanage

I really enjoyed spending time at the Orphanage. The children were very sweet and I loved experiencing and learning more about their Peruvian Culture. The quest shined a light on how privileged I am in the United States and how simple you can live your life and have the same level of happiness, if not more.

WOW! Truly an unforgettable experience. Volunteering in Peru far exceeded my expectations...

I took Spanish classes every morning and my teacher was so nice and understanding! In the afternoons, I would volunteer at the orphanage. I was only there for a week and did not think I would make an impact on the children but bonding with them was the best part. I was able to travel to Machu Picchu which was absolutely amazing!! The Machu Picchu tour was very informative and we also had free time to explore. The only challenging part of my trip was the language. I should have brushed up on my Spanish more before traveling to Peru.