Faculty-Led Customized Study in Belize Programs
Toucan Education Programs (TEP) Header Image Toucan Education Programs (TEP) Header Image

Faculty-Led Customized Study in Belize Programs

Study abroad occupational/ physical therapy in Belize

I had such a wonderful experience in Belize last summer. I learned so much about OT and being creative with limited resources, but I also learned so much about the culture of Belize and experienced so many fun opportunities/activities. It was my first experience traveling out of the United States and I don't think I could have chosen a better place to go, and the TEP staff was amazing! I loved my experience so much that I plan to return to Belize in the future, whether it be for service learning or just vacation!

Studying in Belize

I enjoyed study abroad in Belize. I was able to learn lots about the culture while having fun. This cultural immersion is something that will be remembered for the rest of my life! I stayed with a family in their home and become an active member of their household. This allowed me to become emerged in culture like I never had been before. Then I also got the chance to visit sites like the Belize Zoo and downtown Belize City and explore. Combining all of these experiences made for an experience the grew me as a professional and a person.

• Toucan Education Programs (TEP) responded to this review September 22, 2017 at 11:10 AM

Dear Ms. Spady,

Huge thanks for taking the time to submit a review for TEP. We are most grateful!

Excellent opportunity abroad

Although I was not a student, the opportunity to engage with the culture, in social, community and professional arenas was wonderful! During our time in Belize, I always felt safe, well cared for by Rhondine and her staff, and if there was ever any change of plans with the professionals we worked with, they were quick to make accommodations!

• Toucan Education Programs (TEP) responded to this review September 20, 2017 at 4:54 PM

You are an important component to providing much needed services and training in Belize. We are truly grateful and applaud the sacrifice you make to volunteer your expertise.

Sincere thanks from your TEP team!

OT - PT trip

Great experience for everyone. TEP provided all the details and arrangements for successful professional and individual learning experiences. Rhondine is great at problem solving and sharing information that makes everyone feel safe and adventurous!

Amazing trip

Amazing trip, I would recommend college students to attend this program. I learned much about the culture and how the county's agriculture industry works compared to the industry in the United States.

Opportunity of a lifetime

This was an experience that I wouldn't trade the world for. Being able to be fully immersed in such an amazing culture/environment was something I never thought would be a reality for me. I loved every second of it!

Agriculture and experiential learning

The program, coordinators, and the people really took care of us. From the places visited, to working with farmers, organization of housing, to the places we had the chance to eat. I Would definitely go back.

Michigan state university / toucan education program pilot review

The privilege of participating in Michigan State University’s & Toucan Education Programs month long global service learning pilot program in Belize was an opportunity that greatly expanded my academic experience as a student and overall my development as an individual. In the truly immersive style, this program provided I would like to share feedback which I hope can provide insight to support and strengthen this already amazing program.
What initially excited me about the opportunity was the interview component prior to selection. I could tell this was going to be a highly-individualized chance to study where I would be able to focus in-depth on specific topics I was currently dedicating time to at MSU. The packet that TEP provided was a vital resource that gave guidance throughout the program from pre-departure to post-departure. Personal learning goals – (SMART - strategic, measurable, agreed upon, realistic, time bound) were outlined and submitted at the beginning of the course. The goals including academic, personal, and professional aims and helped me separate and prepare for the multiple experiences I would be going through. I found myself comforted by regularly referencing my intern program outline throughout my month in Belize.
For our first day arriving into the country, airport pick up was an easy, smooth process and we quickly transitioned to our next phase of travel. Included in the activities that day I would like to focus on the scavenger hunt. I think the scavenger hunt was one of the most important activities for its placement on the trip. It forced me to acknowledge and accept my feeling of vulnerability while demonstrating that it was okay to begin a situation in this space. I had to speak with people that I feared a cultural barrier with, risk looking “silly”, and having to listen and learn directions in a new way. My two classmates and I learned quickly street signs or street names were not really the basis of explaining directions in San Ignacio or Santa Elena. It set the tone for me that “not knowing” was the entire point of this trip and to fully embrace the beauty of this position.
Our living situation included a beautiful home that a family graciously offered to TEP while they were staying at another property. This accommodation was a large benefit of the trip. I am very grateful to TEP and Rhondine for providing such a comfortable living situation. Having laundry capabilities, and a fully functioning kitchen was greatly appreciated and allowed the option to keep costs in this area low. Going out to eat does become expensive as the girls and I found out. TEP also provided cell phones making communication accessible. I was very impressed with the number of activities TEP had for us. From a cultural immersion weekend where we experienced Native cultures and their traditional practices, current political dynamics in the country, to being given independent time to venture out into the community to interact on our own created an emotional reaction upon leaving the country, I felt as if I was leaving what had become a home. Some of my favorite memories of the trip were the numerous times we had sitting down and sharing meals that allowed for conversation and new knowledge to be shared. TEP took advantage of each moment of our experience to ensure knowledge was being gained while equally balancing the allotment of time given for personal use. Program administration again organized thoroughly by TEP’s program outline was clear and when changes were made communication was always available. At any point, if myself or my two classmates were experiencing issue TEP’s coordinators were never far from reach.
Upon personally experiencing medical issues my coordinators acted swiftly and calmly to provide help and ensure that I was calm and comfortable. There was never a time during my stay where I felt uncomfortable in a situation or unsafe. Not only did I feel safe and cared for while experiencing issues, TEP made it a point to follow up to ensure a happy conclusion had been achieved. During my month in Belize, the community I lived in and the people I worked with became family. This experience made it possible to feel in a small way part of the community. Concluding our trip with a presentation of our work, TEP asked us to invite our supervisors and anyone else we had developed relationships with during our time. Being able to share with the people I have come to cherish time with was a feeling of accomplishment and a way to give back to those who provided me with deep levels of their own vulnerabilities to help my work.
Although minimal I would like to provide a few areas that I believe could benefit future students. Every weekend there was a market that set up full of food stands, clothing, and many other goods. I wish I had utilized this resource more when planning meals. Due to new types of food and inexperience, I ended up buying most of my food from restaurants which became costly. Providing mention of easy dishes that are typically made in Belize would help in creating confidence when trying to plan out meals. The trip’s attention to activities was one of my favorite components however the first day after a long day of travel we ended up regretfully skipping the concert due to exhaustion. My advice would be to allow a rest day for adjustment so the second day does not feel like a recovery day while attempting to gather a mindset for meeting with the locations we would be working with.

AEC agricultural issues in Belize

It was awesome and extremely educational! Toucan education is great and David is the best tour guide! I am already looking forward to traveling back to this beautiful country. From banana farms to snorkeling, it was a well planned trip!

Agricultural Issues in Belize (University of Florida)

Toucan Education Programs (TEP) was tremendous. TEP assisted in all aspects of the program. It was wonderful having an organization in-country to develop the itinerary and take care of all logistics. That way, I and my co-instructor could focus on teaching the students, with the educational opportunities that TEP provided. This is the second time we have used TEP, but it won't be the last. I highly recommend TEP if your study abroad destination is BELIZE. Students loved the experience!

IU OT in Belize

Our service-learning trip through TEP was amazing and unparalleled to any other professional experience in which I have been a participant. The organization, professional communication, and cultural immersion experiences I have gained through this program are invaluable additions to my future professional practice as an occupational therapist. Thank you, TEP, for hosting us and providing such unique learning experiences!

Indiana Univeristy Occupational Therapy

TEP did an amazing job preparing us for our trip to Belize, as well as throughout the entire time we were there. They provided us with great tours and lectures pertaining to culture and history. The staff at TEP were very welcoming and open to any questions, which lead to a smooth transition of providing services in another country and culture different from the States. This is a great program and I would go through them again for future service learning trips!!

OT in Belize

TEP was amazing and there is nothing I could say that you could do better. Seriously no complaints. You all were wonderful. I want to thank you all for all your work, because you really made our time in Belize feel like we were safe and at home and I really appreciate that.

UIndy PT/OT service trip

I have nothing but excellent things to say about this program. Going into the trip, I had no idea how much it would change me. That being said, I left Belize as a more educated, empathetic, and effective health care provider. This experience was invaluable on many levels including, but not limited to, cultural immersion and expansive health care experience. I will definitely be highly recommending this program to both the faculty and incoming students.

• Itinerary

• Satisfaction

Another great experience with TEP

Rhondine and her staff go above and beyond to make sure her visitors have a wonderful, safe, and healthy experience! Given the circumstances of a recent hurricane, Rhondine worked diligently for us, communicating with community partners who were difficult to reach and making sure we had necessary sustenance to continue our work in Belize. Thanks TEP!

OT/PT Service trip

Rhondine & the TEP team were very helpful, informative, and a pleasure to work with. I appreciated how they took care of any needs we had, especially with transportation. I loved that they shared their love and knowledge of the country and the people with us and allowed us to have an insider view.

Experience of a lifetime

The primary recurring thought that comes to my mind when I think about my time in Belize is Life-changing. My team and I arrived in Belize with an open minds and kind intentions. For all of us it was our first time in the country. We were constantly surrounded by friendly people and never felt I was in danger. We were there for agriculture and the staff at TEP took every opportunity to expose us to different farming experiences of all production levels. We spent 30 days in beautiful Belize and the house we stayed in was amazing. The staff at TEP made all the planning and paperwork for this trip a smooth and simple process. This was no average study aboard, we truly got to experience the culture, tourism and daily life of the Belizean people. The level of professionalism and commitment we received from TEP was first-class. I left Belize feeling blessed to have had this experience. It is definitely not if I will return to Belize, it is now of when I will return. Thank you TEP for making this summer one I will never forget!

Honey in the rock

My study abroad experience was very real. Talking with farmers, realizing how important to life their passion is. Farming should not be taken lightly. The Belize Central Extension office is doing an excellent job helping the farmers and when possible, funding is granted. The University of Belize has an excellent professor who looks after the farming there. He was so inspiring as to his idea of learning. There are so many nice places in Belize between those gorgeous mountains, honey in the rock I'll say. TEP was so helpful doing what they do. Their position here was superb. I felt that our safety was very much considered and important. TEP is well known there.

Great experience

Overall great experience. I'm sure to come back again with family and friends. Belize is a great country for beginning study abroad travelers and learning does not disappoint with the wealth of culture and diversity.

An amazing Belize experience

Our trip to Belize was an amazing trip, a trip that none of us wanted it to end. Everyone was really friendly and nice towards all of us. There was always something for us to do, whether the day or night. We learned so much about the country of Belize and the prison of Belize. This trip also brought everyone closer to each other.

UIndy criminal justice program

Where do I begin?! This experience was incredible, to say the least. I cannot thank the staff of Toucan Education Programs enough for all that they have done in planning this amazing experience and program for my classmates and me.

As for Mr. Ernesto, he made the trip exponentially better than I would have ever imagined! Without his extensive knowledge of the country, its history, and the answers to any question that was thrown at him, my classmates and I would not have learned as much as what we did while visiting Belize. Not to mention all of the times that he went out of his way to make sure we experienced something or learned about something he thought we should know about. He is truly the definition of going above and beyond his position's title and job description!

What an unforgettable and once in a lifetime experience! Thank you!

Paradise

I absolutely fell in LOVE with Belize! TEP created a program for us that allowed us to experience as many sides of Belize that can fit into 10 days. Great great great experience! We were able to see life in a village, city, and an island. I felt safe, and was always occupied with things to do.

Amazing

I loved the program! Everything about the trip was great! I enjoyed walking around and seeing all the different cultures and going through the different activities we went through. I loved trying the Belize food and seeing all the native animals.

It was a great time!

I really enjoyed this trip. It was really well organized and the trip your guide, Ernesto, made the trip fun and informative. I really enjoyed being able to travel to multiple places and seeing a lot of different culture and different people.

• Itinerary

• Satisfaction

UNL Spring Break

I had a fabulous time in Belize. I learned a lot about the culture of Belize and the Mayan culture. I thought that the immersion process was great and we experienced a wide variety of activities. I do think however there was time for more activities. I would have loved to see a little more of Belize. I thought the speakers could be moved to when it got dark so we could continue to use the day light to do more activities.