Faculty-Led Customized Study in Belize Programs
Toucan Education Programs (TEP) Header Image Toucan Education Programs (TEP) Header Image

Faculty-Led Customized Study in Belize Programs

J-term 2018

TEP facilitated an outstanding short term immersion experience for students in my cultural analysis course. Their professionalism and attention to detail are superb and I cannot imagine delivering such high quality experiences without them. TEP earns the highest marks for coordinating high impact learning experiences by providing insights into and analysis of Belizean culture.

• Toucan Education Programs (TEP) responded to this review February 01, 2018 at 9:38 AM

Dr. Anderson, thank you for your continued trust in Toucan Education Programs. We remain grateful!

Trip of a lifetime

TEP changed my life and gave me an outlet to better myself and grow in so many different ways. The memories, friendships, adventures, and endured struggles will stick with me forever. I would not change this journey for anything in the world and I recommend it for anyone who is looking for a great study abroad experience!

• Toucan Education Programs (TEP) responded to this review January 24, 2018 at 8:06 AM

Huge thanks for this incredible review. It was our honor to get to know you and to play a small role in your experience of Belize. We remain grateful!

Belize J-term

The Belize J-term experience was definitely an experience that I can never forget. It was the experience of a lifetime and there is not one moment that I regret. I am grateful that I received this opportunity to be immersed in another culture, make connections, create friendships internationally, and experience so many new adventures. Belize is simply unBELIZEable, and "once you come once, you will always come back!"

• Toucan Education Programs (TEP) responded to this review January 19, 2018 at 5:24 PM

Hello Samantha,

Sincere thanks for taking time to provide us with valuable feedback. We look forward to supporting you in any other way possible as you continue your journey.

All the best and know you are always a member of the TEP family!

Belize study abroad

This trip was amazing! Everyone should be able to study abroad, I learned so much about the Belizean culture as well as my own! I also feel like I discovered a little more about myself with the challenges and successes throughout the trip. The activities were so fun and we had the opportunity to do so much. Our host Moms’ were great and took very good care of us. The one thing I would say could be better would be program administration communication with us (students) during our time in Belize. For time, costs, etc.

• Toucan Education Programs (TEP) responded to this review January 18, 2018 at 4:14 PM

Hello Loras,

Thank you for sharing your honest and thoughtful feedback. We are most grateful for the opportunity to collaborate with your faculty and administrators.

Would love if you can further explain your concerns raised around communication, time, and costs. We strive for perfection knowing that somethings are outside of our control but with your help, we can work to address this issue for future students.

Again, thank you, and may you continue to grow from this experience long after you return home.
    The TEP Team

Study abroad occupational/ physical therapy in Belize

I had such a wonderful experience in Belize last summer. I learned so much about OT and being creative with limited resources, but I also learned so much about the culture of Belize and experienced so many fun opportunities/activities. It was my first experience traveling out of the United States and I don't think I could have chosen a better place to go, and the TEP staff was amazing! I loved my experience so much that I plan to return to Belize in the future, whether it be for service learning or just vacation!

• Toucan Education Programs (TEP) responded to this review December 01, 2017 at 9:08 AM

Elissa, we are very grateful for your review. Glad we played a role in your first international experience and even more pleased that it had such a positive impact. You are always a part of the TEP family and we look forward to reconnecting with you next time around.

Studying in Belize

I enjoyed study abroad in Belize. I was able to learn lots about the culture while having fun. This cultural immersion is something that will be remembered for the rest of my life! I stayed with a family in their home and become an active member of their household. This allowed me to become emerged in culture like I never had been before. Then I also got the chance to visit sites like the Belize Zoo and downtown Belize City and explore. Combining all of these experiences made for an experience the grew me as a professional and a person.

• Toucan Education Programs (TEP) responded to this review September 22, 2017 at 11:10 AM

Dear Ms. Spady,

Huge thanks for taking the time to submit a review for TEP. We are most grateful!

Excellent opportunity abroad

Although I was not a student, the opportunity to engage with the culture, in social, community and professional arenas was wonderful! During our time in Belize, I always felt safe, well cared for by Rhondine and her staff, and if there was ever any change of plans with the professionals we worked with, they were quick to make accommodations!

• Toucan Education Programs (TEP) responded to this review September 20, 2017 at 4:54 PM

You are an important component to providing much needed services and training in Belize. We are truly grateful and applaud the sacrifice you make to volunteer your expertise.

Sincere thanks from your TEP team!

OT - PT trip

Great experience for everyone. TEP provided all the details and arrangements for successful professional and individual learning experiences. Rhondine is great at problem solving and sharing information that makes everyone feel safe and adventurous!

Amazing trip

Amazing trip, I would recommend college students to attend this program. I learned much about the culture and how the county's agriculture industry works compared to the industry in the United States.

Opportunity of a lifetime

This was an experience that I wouldn't trade the world for. Being able to be fully immersed in such an amazing culture/environment was something I never thought would be a reality for me. I loved every second of it!

Agriculture and experiential learning

The program, coordinators, and the people really took care of us. From the places visited, to working with farmers, organization of housing, to the places we had the chance to eat. I Would definitely go back.

Michigan state university / toucan education program pilot review

The privilege of participating in Michigan State University’s & Toucan Education Programs month long global service learning pilot program in Belize was an opportunity that greatly expanded my academic experience as a student and overall my development as an individual. In the truly immersive style, this program provided I would like to share feedback which I hope can provide insight to support and strengthen this already amazing program.
What initially excited me about the opportunity was the interview component prior to selection. I could tell this was going to be a highly-individualized chance to study where I would be able to focus in-depth on specific topics I was currently dedicating time to at MSU. The packet that TEP provided was a vital resource that gave guidance throughout the program from pre-departure to post-departure. Personal learning goals – (SMART - strategic, measurable, agreed upon, realistic, time bound) were outlined and submitted at the beginning of the course. The goals including academic, personal, and professional aims and helped me separate and prepare for the multiple experiences I would be going through. I found myself comforted by regularly referencing my intern program outline throughout my month in Belize.
For our first day arriving into the country, airport pick up was an easy, smooth process and we quickly transitioned to our next phase of travel. Included in the activities that day I would like to focus on the scavenger hunt. I think the scavenger hunt was one of the most important activities for its placement on the trip. It forced me to acknowledge and accept my feeling of vulnerability while demonstrating that it was okay to begin a situation in this space. I had to speak with people that I feared a cultural barrier with, risk looking “silly”, and having to listen and learn directions in a new way. My two classmates and I learned quickly street signs or street names were not really the basis of explaining directions in San Ignacio or Santa Elena. It set the tone for me that “not knowing” was the entire point of this trip and to fully embrace the beauty of this position.
Our living situation included a beautiful home that a family graciously offered to TEP while they were staying at another property. This accommodation was a large benefit of the trip. I am very grateful to TEP and Rhondine for providing such a comfortable living situation. Having laundry capabilities, and a fully functioning kitchen was greatly appreciated and allowed the option to keep costs in this area low. Going out to eat does become expensive as the girls and I found out. TEP also provided cell phones making communication accessible. I was very impressed with the number of activities TEP had for us. From a cultural immersion weekend where we experienced Native cultures and their traditional practices, current political dynamics in the country, to being given independent time to venture out into the community to interact on our own created an emotional reaction upon leaving the country, I felt as if I was leaving what had become a home. Some of my favorite memories of the trip were the numerous times we had sitting down and sharing meals that allowed for conversation and new knowledge to be shared. TEP took advantage of each moment of our experience to ensure knowledge was being gained while equally balancing the allotment of time given for personal use. Program administration again organized thoroughly by TEP’s program outline was clear and when changes were made communication was always available. At any point, if myself or my two classmates were experiencing issue TEP’s coordinators were never far from reach.
Upon personally experiencing medical issues my coordinators acted swiftly and calmly to provide help and ensure that I was calm and comfortable. There was never a time during my stay where I felt uncomfortable in a situation or unsafe. Not only did I feel safe and cared for while experiencing issues, TEP made it a point to follow up to ensure a happy conclusion had been achieved. During my month in Belize, the community I lived in and the people I worked with became family. This experience made it possible to feel in a small way part of the community. Concluding our trip with a presentation of our work, TEP asked us to invite our supervisors and anyone else we had developed relationships with during our time. Being able to share with the people I have come to cherish time with was a feeling of accomplishment and a way to give back to those who provided me with deep levels of their own vulnerabilities to help my work.
Although minimal I would like to provide a few areas that I believe could benefit future students. Every weekend there was a market that set up full of food stands, clothing, and many other goods. I wish I had utilized this resource more when planning meals. Due to new types of food and inexperience, I ended up buying most of my food from restaurants which became costly. Providing mention of easy dishes that are typically made in Belize would help in creating confidence when trying to plan out meals. The trip’s attention to activities was one of my favorite components however the first day after a long day of travel we ended up regretfully skipping the concert due to exhaustion. My advice would be to allow a rest day for adjustment so the second day does not feel like a recovery day while attempting to gather a mindset for meeting with the locations we would be working with.

AEC agricultural issues in Belize

It was awesome and extremely educational! Toucan education is great and David is the best tour guide! I am already looking forward to traveling back to this beautiful country. From banana farms to snorkeling, it was a well planned trip!

Agricultural Issues in Belize (University of Florida)

Toucan Education Programs (TEP) was tremendous. TEP assisted in all aspects of the program. It was wonderful having an organization in-country to develop the itinerary and take care of all logistics. That way, I and my co-instructor could focus on teaching the students, with the educational opportunities that TEP provided. This is the second time we have used TEP, but it won't be the last. I highly recommend TEP if your study abroad destination is BELIZE. Students loved the experience!

Advanced mental health in Belize

I felt like TEP did an amazing job with the whole program. The lecturers were interesting and informative. I always felt safe and our guides were wonderful. The only criticism I can think of is hardly even a criticism but I'm not sure the accommodations needed to be as luxurious as they were. I don't know how it all works but if I could have saved some money by have slightly less fancy places to stay I definitely would have been happy with that.

IU OT in Belize

Our service-learning trip through TEP was amazing and unparalleled to any other professional experience in which I have been a participant. The organization, professional communication, and cultural immersion experiences I have gained through this program are invaluable additions to my future professional practice as an occupational therapist. Thank you, TEP, for hosting us and providing such unique learning experiences!

Indiana Univeristy Occupational Therapy

TEP did an amazing job preparing us for our trip to Belize, as well as throughout the entire time we were there. They provided us with great tours and lectures pertaining to culture and history. The staff at TEP were very welcoming and open to any questions, which lead to a smooth transition of providing services in another country and culture different from the States. This is a great program and I would go through them again for future service learning trips!!

Indiana University OT - Mental Health in Belize

My experience in Belize providing mental health occupational therapy services was invaluable. The program went above my expectations, was well-organized, and well-done. I was very impressed by Toucan Education Programs in their ability to both provide such impactful opportunities and bring in exceptional speakers. Toucan Education Programs went above and beyond to make our trip meaningful and impressionable on us, as students, but hopefully on those we helped as well.

OT in Belize

TEP was amazing and there is nothing I could say that you could do better. Seriously no complaints. You all were wonderful. I want to thank you all for all your work, because you really made our time in Belize feel like we were safe and at home and I really appreciate that.

TEP did a wonderful job

I have no other thoughts than the ones we talked about in the debriefing on the roof. TEP did a wonderful job with organization, speakers, accommodations, and cultural immersion.

Service learning experience

The overall experience was very good! My only critique is Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday were too long with the guest lecturers. I feel like I did not get enough time to explore San Ignacio because by the time we got done with the lectures, it was already dark. However, this is just a small complaint compared to the great experience we all had.

PT professional development service Trip

My time in Belize was invaluable and has shaped who I am as a traveler, as a learner, and as a physical therapist. In terms of professional development, I learned how to prepare and deal with all circumstances of patient care. We had to be creative to deal with the lack of resources and do a good job of self-reflection and coping in order to give the people our best service, despite barriers with resources, culture, and personal factors. I also got the chance to learn more about the OT scope of practice and see how much does and doesn’t overlap with PT. I had a wonderful time getting to know and work with my OT counterparts during this trip. I had the opportunity to practice and learn new skills alongside a practicing clinician in a low-pressure situation that was very conducive to learning.
As a traveler, this Belize trip fulfilled my adventurous side with the perfectly planned weekend break halfway through and the different free day options we had to choose from. I would have liked to have more information about those days because although I had decided on Wednesday which activity I wanted to do, that communication was lost somewhere along the line.
Other than that, I learned so much about both physical therapy and the beautiful mix of cultures that make up Belize and thoroughly enjoyed my time in the country.

UIndy PT/OT service trip

I have nothing but excellent things to say about this program. Going into the trip, I had no idea how much it would change me. That being said, I left Belize as a more educated, empathetic, and effective health care provider. This experience was invaluable on many levels including, but not limited to, cultural immersion and expansive health care experience. I will definitely be highly recommending this program to both the faculty and incoming students.

OT PT in Belize

Rhondine and her team provide a very organized cultural and educational experience for faculty, clinicians and students. Thanks for making our trip a success. From transportation to lodging and from food to excursions, the experience could not have been any better.

• Itinerary

• Satisfaction

Another great experience with TEP

Rhondine and her staff go above and beyond to make sure her visitors have a wonderful, safe, and healthy experience! Given the circumstances of a recent hurricane, Rhondine worked diligently for us, communicating with community partners who were difficult to reach and making sure we had necessary sustenance to continue our work in Belize. Thanks TEP!