International Internships in New York
The Intern Group participants The Intern Group participants

International Internships in New York

Worked hard, played hard, and earned a job at the end of it.

My experience with the Intern Group was overwhelmingly positive. There were ups and downs, but mostly ups. I felt the team truly wanted me to succeed, and with their help, I did.

I found the Intern Group when I was about a year out of university and stuck in a rut. I had a good degree but was struggling to get my foot in the door in any decent job in my field. But I still hesitated until the very last minute to sign up with the Intern Group, partly because my parents were convinced it was a scam (spoilers: it's not), but mostly because I come from a working class family, and internships are not really designed with people like me in mind.

I'm not going to sugarcoat it: taking an unpaid internship (particularly one abroad) when you don't come from money is hard. It's really hard. I worked 3 jobs simultaneously for about 8 months prior to my start date just to pay for it, and I still didn't quite have enough. I couldn't go out with the other interns for their various outings to bars, nightclubs, etc., and ate a lot of ramen noodles. But I truly believe the Intern Group did everything in their power to help me with my financial situation, and I cannot thank them enough for it. They were patient and understanding with me, and always helped me to find solutions that would work.

My placement itself was not exactly what I was looking for in terms of industry, but it has helped me to hone my skills in a lot of corresponding areas and, moreover, has lit a fire under my ass to pursue my ambitions. I am no longer in the rut and have already begun taking successful steps towards the career I want. Just having experience in NY is a big step. Even my parents, initially huge skeptics about my decision to pursue this internship, have recently commented that it's the best thing I've ever done.

At the end of my 3 month internship, I was offered a permanent position with the company and am still here, almost 7 months after arriving in NY as a nervous Scot with a single suitcase and big dreams. The Intern Group keeps in touch, and helped me to get in touch with the right people to extend my visa. I cannot praise Nicholas enough for his help during the initial visa process--it is an unbelievable complicated and confusing process, but he patiently talked me through it even when the website was causing problems!

One slight area for improvement that the Intern Group could make is monitoring the interns' work hours a little better. I don't think this is a problem that many interns will face (most seemed to be organizing dinners and drinks at 5.30pm night after night, while I was still at my desk past 8 many evenings after starting at 9am). I know a few fellow interns who were being forced to work far, far longer than they should have, though I know the IG staff did help with this in at least one instance. It can put interns in an uncomfortable position when their host organization is asking too much from them and don't feel they have the power to say no, so a tad more oversight could be beneficial. I also found I couldn't attend the professional development classes the IG offered because I didn't finish work until really late, so that was a shame.

So yes, you'll work hard as an intern, but the Intern Group provides plenty of opportunities to have fun. I really enjoyed trips to NY's beautiful museums and art galleries in particular. The Circle Line Cruise was also fun to see the Statue of Liberty, and the Top of the Rock trip. And I really loved the opportunity to do some volunteer work at Thanksgiving--that was a unique and exciting opportunity. Brian was always friendly and made me feel very welcome. Andy, who leads the program and conducted the welcome meet with me, was also very friendly, as was every other staff member I interacted with. (Side note: they also sent a car to pick me up at the airport which was great because I had a very long day of travelling and was really nervous!)

As I mentioned previously, the interns hung out together a lot in other capacities (dinner, drinks, concerts, etc) so the social aspect is probably really great for a lot of people, but since I couldn't afford to go with them, I didn't really get to know any of the other interns. Instead, I made my own band of friends outside of work and interns, and we've become very close. They were one of the reasons I chose to stay in NY at the end of my internship, and I thank the Intern Group for giving me the opportunity to come out here and meet so many great people.

The last thing to mention is the accommodation. It's fine. That's really all there is to it. I've seen some people whining about it, but I really don't know what palace they expected to find in NY! I liked that I had a little private room (even though the view from the window was a brick wall!), and while the communal bathroom took a little getting used to, it was not a problem. The one area I generally avoided was the kitchen because it was often dirty and full of roaches, but that was the fault of the dirty people who didn't do dishes, and not the Intern Group or even really the staff in the building. Some of the 92Y staff were a little rude (like the woman who rudely woke me up at 7am on the day I was moving out to find out why I was still there, despite move out time being noon...) but overall they were fine. The only real problem I had was not being sent the welcome email until my third month in the building (it contained info I could have used at the start!) and then being badgered by the building's staff about not attending an induction thing that I had never once been told about (hence why I needed the intro email). But again, this was not the fault of the Intern Group.

Overall, the pros far outweighed the cons for me. The Intern Group was helpful and considerate, and the opportunity they gave me has allowed me to continue working in NY and experience a lot of new and exciting opportunities. It is not free, but the best things in life rarely are. While it was very difficult for me to do, I would do it again.

New York internship

I thoroughly enjoyed my whole internship and only wished that Id agreed to a longer period of time. Initially I was feeling quite home sick and Brian did a really good job at making me feel welcomed at my orientation breakfast and introducing me to the other interns that came along to the breakfast. I really enjoyed the regular Saturday events that were organised and socialising with other interns. Brian was always so lovely and had such a high level of enthusiasm and excitement for each event even though he'd done all several times.

Unfortunately I fell badly sick with the flu around my second week of being in New York and was unable to do much for myself at that time. Amy was amazing and came over to 92Y and assisted and helped me go to the doctors. After accompanying me back to my accommodation Amy then went and picked up my medication and a few groceries to keep me going. I'm so grateful and appreciative for what Amy did, I don't know what I would have done without her! A few days later Brian popped by to see how I was going and brought me a few more groceries to keep me going.

I started to really settle into work and feel at home after my third week. I really enjoyed my daily routine of going into work and seeing the team in the office every day. Everyone was really nice from day one and made me feel very welcome. I appreciated that I was assigned a diverse combination of tasks at my work place so that I did get a taste of everything in the short time that I was interning.

Its crazy to think that I nearly didn't apply for this because it was too out of my comfort zone but its been one of the most rewarding experiences I've ever done! I wish I could go back and do it all again!!

Intern New York

Great experience, cultural and as a work experience, delivered by a professional and helpful team. Every one at Intern New York was very helpful to make all interns get a full experience out of it, from the VISA process to all cultural activities.

Post-production internship at Twitch Post

Weeks: 10
Boroughs: 4 (Sorry Staten Island)
Broadway shows: 1
Stand-up gigs: 4
Days massively hungover at work: Thankfully only 1
Number of days spent partially deaf as a result of putting a Q-tip too far up my ear: 3 (I seriously recommend not doing this)
Snow days: 2
Vegan burgers: Literally 100s
Dollars spent: Countless
Friends made: Even more
Regrets: None

An amazing experience in an equally amazing city.

Program recommended: 100%

Thank you The Intern Group!!

Internship: 4 months
Industry: Construction

Application Process: The process was smooth and straight forward.

Placement Process: The Intern Group really prepared me!! they provided me with tips and guidelines before my interview.

Accommodation: 24/7 security, lovely neighborhood, near the subway station, few museums and Central Park.

Weekly events: Definitely one of the highlights! It was a great way to meet up with other interns from the program and I had such a blast!! Thumbs up for Brian the event coordinator (Y)!

Overall experience:
Internship in New York City was a life changing experience. I was exposed to a taste of the Big Apple!! It was definitely one of the most incredible experiences of my life!!

THANK YOU INTERN GROUP!!!

The most incredible time, with the most incredible people!!!

I am just about to finish my 6 month Internship at a law firm specialising in Judgment Enforcement. The Internship experience, provided by Intern New York has been one of the best experiences of my life. I can't thank them enough!!!!

From being accepted on to the program I was quickly given CV advice. The Intern New York team then arranged a number of interviews for me, conducted via Skype.

Understandably, I arrived in New York excited, but a little nervous. However, within hours I was given an orientation by the legend that is Brian. I was given a detailed introduction to the program and the Intern New York life.

My Internship has provided me with the chance to learn about a foreign legal system, witness court proceedings, and interact with court staff. As well as this I have been able to serve financial institutions with legal documents, which I also prepared. The internship has helped me develop a wide variety of skills, including research, analysis, public speaking, written and oral communication as well as many others. It has been challenging at times, but to be honest, that's how it should be.

The difference, however, between the Intern New York program and other programs is the social and pastoral side. They are only a phone call or a message away if we ever need them. It is a great comfort to know you have a contact who is easily reached should they be needed. The variety of activities included in the program is also great, including a boat tour, a trip to the Top of the Rock, a 9/11 tour and various museum tours. They have helped me to meet other interns from all around the globe, and make the some amazing friends for life.

Special recognition however must go to Brian, the experience coordinator for Intern New York. He takes us on a wide variety of activities, including tourist activities, professional development events and volunteering activities. He also shows us some of New York that most tourists would never see. Not only that, but he genuinely cares about us and the experience we have. He's become a friend for life and is a bit the brother I never knew I had!!

Another great aspect of the program is the freedom you are provided with to also explore New York on your own. I have been able to attend numerous events including AC/DC and Red Hot Chilli Peppers at Madison Square Garden, witness the US election, meet some heroes, have a go at curling, attend gig's at numerous "bucket-list" venues such as The Iridium, The Beacon Theatre, and the Blue Note, see Ice-Hockey games, play in the snow, see a slightly odd performance of Shakespeare, go to two recording of The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, go to countless roof top bars, go to Atlantic City, go to The Bronx Zoo and so much more.

The accommodation provided is in a great location on the Upper East Side and is close to 3 Subway stations making it easy to get to anywhere in New York City. There is always someone within the accommodation you're able to contact if needed.

My advice for anyone considering doing the Intern Group New York program is just do it. You'll be supported all the way and have the most amazing time, whilst meeting amazing people. It's up to you to path out your experience, but the Intern New York team will do a great job of putting those pathways in place, and help you find your feet in one of the greatest cities in the world!

Awesome time!

Loved everything about the experience! Amazing city and awesome internship.
My placement was great, I learnt so much and got really involved. The city is incredible, you will never run out of things to do!

5-month experience

I have just completed a 5-month internship in a company called Endeavor. The placement and interview process carried out by the Intern Group was very smooth and I was always kept in the loop. My job and the people were awesome, I had loads of interesting and fun responsibilities.

The Intern Group provided weekly events which were really good fun and it was a great way to make friends and get to know all the other interns!

The support from the Intern Group exceeded my expectations; from the start of my application process to the end of my internship, there was continuous support from the Intern New York staff. I became unwell during my internship and both Andy and Brian went above and beyond to make sure that I was ok; I couldn’t have asked for a better support system whilst away from my family.

Overall, I have had the most incredible experience in an amazing city. I have learnt such a huge amount and also had so much fun. I would definitely recommend going through the Intern Group for an international internship!

Marketing internship with Intern New York

I'm just about to finish my 6 month internship with Intern New York and I've honestly had the best time ever! I worked for a company called Triad Interactive Media and was in a marketing role mainly carrying out research. The job was great and my boss was completely awesome! Through the intern group I've met lots of really cool people from all over the world and made friends I know I'll have for life. If you are thinking about doing an internship abroad in New York or elsewhere I would 110% advise doing this it with The Intern Group.

The Intern Group- New York City

Thank you to The Intern Group for an incredible experience in New York City! From the application process through to my internship and living in New York City- 5 stars! It was more than a dream. Thank you!

Amazing 3 months

3 months working in the greatest city in the world. Making amazing friends and having the best experiences. From all the normal tourist things and thenot the things you can only experience buy working and living in the this city for so long. I can not recommended the Intern group enough.

Can't wait to go back to New York :)

My internship was amazing, I had the opportunity to intern in DUMBO so I went to an area every day I probably wouldn't have otherwise. Interning in Brooklyn and living in Manhattan gave me the best of both worlds. I also worked with great people and learnt a lot.
The Intern Group were really helpful throughout all the steps. I applied over a year before I started so I thought it would a smooth process, unfortunately the interviews I had early on were not right and my internship was confirmed until after I was supposed to start. The visa process took as long as expected and I ended up starting a month and a half after I planned. This probably worked out for the best as it gave me a chance to save more money.
New York is awesome, the ease of moving around the city with the subway, and even just walking is really good. And the events organised by INY help with integrating you into the area and also give you a chance to meet the other interns.
92Y is positioned really well within the city, but it was a really undesirable place to live. My room was great but the bathroom, kitchen and laundry situation left something to be desired.
Throughout the entire experience, the only thing I would have changed is where I was living, everything else was perfect.

Unforgettable experience!

My internship was at an investment bank and it included a rotation around equity research, sales & trading and culminated with the last day on the trading floor of the New York Stock Exchange, which was an unbelievable and wonderful experience!

I met incredible people and expanded my network. There are so many things to do in New York; it’s the city that never sleeps!

The intern group team is dedicated and very professional! All I can I say is Thank youuuuu !

Internship with NGO in NYC

I did an internship for 12 weeks with an NGO based in NY and NJ, which was a great learning experience. Not only did I gain an understanding of pretty much all aspects of the daily work of an NGO, but I also got to meet many of our beneficiaries all over NYC that I would’ve never met and I got to see parts of the city that I would have never seen if I’d spend my 12 weeks here as a tourist or a student. That was an incredibly valuable experience. At the same time, thanks to the events on the weekends I also did a lot of ‘touristy’ stuff, so I feel like I have seen (at least some of) the many different ‘faces’ of the city.

The Intern Group team are a very professional, friendly and helpful group of people. I had some trouble getting a visa because things didn’t really go to plan with the third-party visa-sponsoring agency. Luckily, Intern NY stepped in and guided me through the visa process without too much stress. Thank you!

The best experience

Intern New York were incredibly supportive throughout my internship. I became ill on the flight over and ended up having to stay in hospital for the first few days when I arrived. Upon telling Intern New York, Kathryn came straight to the hospital and stayed the night with me (sleeping on the chair next to the bed!), and Brian sorted out transport and accommodation for my Dad who was on his way over. Andy and Amy also kept in constant contact with both my parents throughout my hospital stay. Kathryn went above and beyond to ensure that I was as comfortable as possible, and visited me in hospital with flowers a couple of days later too! Both myself and my parents couldn’t thank the Intern New York team enough – you could not fault them.

I completed a seven week internship in the end, and can honestly say it was my best experience yet. The accommodation was in a fantastic location, practically around the corner from Central Park and a short walk to the subway station. The building is a community centre, with great amenities and 24/7 security. Although the kitchen is shared and on the smaller side (note that pots, pans and cutlery are not provided), overall I couldn’t moan.

My placement itself was also great. I was placed with a smaller law firm, but found that this meant I was given more responsibility and real work. On my first day I was drafting court documents, and felt that I was a valued part of the team instantly. I worked on a broad set of tasks, from drafting matters to organising a social media plan to drafting my own set of blogs to be published online. The seven weeks with the firm flew by, and I honestly didn’t want to leave!

The Intern New York team provided social events each weekend, allowing all the interns to meet and interact with one another. These usually turned into whole day events, as the interns and Brian would continue exploring and grab food. These were well organised, and ensured that you were never at a loss with your weekend or alone.

Overall you simply can’t have a bad experience in New York, it’s an amazing city and I loved every minute.

My fun time in NYC

This internship has been the best experience of my life. I've met some incredible like minded people who have become friends for life. My placement with Mycheck has given me the opportunity to take part in various aspects of business and work with people from a different culture which has helped develop me in a business sense and at a personal level. Living in New York has been as good as it appears on tv and has given me so much confidence, I guess the saying if you can make it in New York you can make it anywhere really is true. The best part of the internship without a doubt is the social life run by Brian the intern coordinator. The weekly Saturday adventures exploring the city a full of laughs and fun meeting new interns and hanging around with friends. These trips allow you to explore New York like a tourist without having to organise yourself to much. Overall this has been the best adventure of my life and I will be forever grateful to the intern New York program for organising such a magical time for me.

Amaziiiing

Nyc has allowed me to fit in easily. Has been home and in some way has tap into unknown part of my mind. The people, the working environment, the street art, the colourful shuttle from times square to grand central, the cultural diversification and the ease to immerse in it has been tripping at some point.

Thank the Intern Group!

Marketing internship in New York

I had a mobile marketing internship at unidos financial. The internship was fun, I managed the Facebook groups and had a final project of presenting three marketing campaign ideas which was good for my marketing experience. however I would of liked to of had more to do.

The accommodation 92y has a lot to be desired - the shared bathroom and kitchen was not ideal, the rooms are not great. But it's clean and did the job.

BUT, overall I had the best time and absolutely love New York! I was never stuck for things to do and met some lovely friends. Also if you like going out the nightlife is incredible!!
Finally: 10/10 for Brian!! He made me feel welcome and at home straight away and the events he organised were fun and provides opportunity to meet the other interns.
Kathryn, Amy, Andy and Nicholos were also really helpful and friendly throughout the whole process despite the trouble I had with my visa sponsor.

I would definitely recommend the intern New York program, it was an unforgettable experience and would love to do it all over again.

Interning in New York

I interned at a start-up firm called Newpop as a marketing intern. I really enjoyed my internship and felt that it suited me really well. I was able to go to meetings with retailers and participate in the presentation of sales calls. I also attended food industry dinners in Long Islands where they presented their market 2017 market plan. I was also lucky enough to go to a four-day event in Baltimore for the Expo East food Show which was a great experience. I had the best time in New York and would highly recommend the Intern Group to anymore considering to do work experience abroad. The events coordinator Brian was great at organising events on the weekends and helped everyone make friends and ensured everyone felt at home really quickly. I honestly couldn’t recommend it enough and Amy, Kathryn and Andy from the New York team helped me so much before I came out to New York and ensured that everything ran smoothly.

Big apple intern

I highly recommend this internship to anyone who wants to experience living in one of the best city's in the world. The weekends were so much fun and allowed us to explore a lot of New York. The internship itself was thoroughly rewarding and such a great experience, definitely helping me out for future job interviews and gaining experience!

It was a great experience and a lot of fun.

6 Weeks in NYC

My time in New York with the intern group was one of the best experiences of my life.

I found the planning stages of the internship quite stressful, the visa process was left until the last minute, meaning that I was unable to book my flights until the day before I was due to leave. For anyone applying I would recommend that you persistently check up on the visa process, and ensure that you can be lenient about your start date.

Other than that, the whole experience was fantastic. I stayed in the upper west side accommodation Hotel 99. It was basic but fine, each room had a fridge and tv, and the shared bathroom was kept incredibly clean. There were no gym facilities at this accommodation however, so if this is important to you that may be an issue. The accommodation was very similar to student halls, not luxurious but totally fine.

The best part of the experience was without a doubt the weekend social activities. Brian was the most wonderful tour guide and made all the trips and events really good fun. Everyone was really keen to make friends and I always felt included in all of the activities.

The internship itself was good fun. At first I didn't feel that my job matched the description I had been given, but Kathryn from the intern group was really helpful when it came to sorting this out.

I would urge anyone who is on the fence about applying to just go for it. New York is a city like no other, and everyone should get the opportunity to live there at some point, even if only for a little while!

Internship with Axis Gallery

The Intern NY team were fantastic! They did everything that they could to make sure that the internship matched my needs. Andy and Brian were always at hand to make sure that I was fine and that I was getting the most out of the programme. The highlight of the internship were the workshops Intern NY on various skills that I felt were applicable outside the work place. These were incredibly valuable! Thank you Intern NY.

Intern New York

I have just finished my internship with Intern New York and it has been an amazing experience. The staff there honestly try their hardest to help you get the absolute best out of your internship. They are with you every step of the journey and constantly offer their help and services, whether it's with something small such as a problem with your accommodation or something bigger such as a problem with your visa or a problem you have at work; they try their hardest to get it fixed quickly and efficiently.

They provide a social community where they try to actively get all interns to interact with each other and form a community. They also organize cool activities amongst the interns such as Top of The Rock, Sightseeing Cruise around the Hudson River, 9/11 Memorial Tour and many more.

Overall, my experience with The Intern Group has been amazing, they make you feel part of the community they have created and make themselves become not only colleagues, but friends too. I would genuinely recommend them to anyone thinking about interning in New York as I believe you will not be disappointed with your experience. After all, who can say no to interning in New York City – The city that never sleeps.

Interning in New York city

The Intern Group New York provided me with a fantastic internship opportunity in the heart of New York City. With my office in Times Square I was instantly into the swing of things and the busy lifestyle of the average New Yorker, with the daily commute from the Upper East side. With the accommodation only a few blocks away from Central Park there was also opportunity to relax in the park and escape the bustling city.

The Intern New York way of working by week and tourist by weekend, is a great way of experiencing New York at its finest, with so many events planned every weekend by the ever enthusiastic Brian Limbo, Intern New York's Experience Coordinator ensuring that no weekend was wasted. A boat tour on the Hudson, a trip to the 9/11 memorial and to Top of the Rock all included as well as a variety of trips to some of New York's most famous museums. My experience was not just limited to Intern Group events, with the flexibility to experience New York on your own or with fellow interns whether that be sporting events or a show on Broadway.

New York is a fantastic place to do an internship and gain contacts in whatever career path you may choose. And I would recommend Intern New York when considering working abroad in one of the greatest cities in the world!

Judicial Intern in the BIG CITY

I love this experience, of coming to work and live in New York City; definitely a dream come true. My overall experience of this internship was awesome. At first, I was a little hesitant, as I have never been so far away from home for more than a month at a time, so for 3 months, it was a bit stepping stone for me. However, both Brian and the other inters made me feel welcome, and became my home away from home: my new family for this period. I would definitely recommend coming through the Intern Group to my friends and family; the process was easy enough, and the my internship job, as a judicial intern working underneath a sitting Judge in New York City, was awesome (to say the least). I honestly could not have asked for a better employer to work under, especially since I intend to return to NYC to sit for their Legal Bar Exam, in the future. All in all, GREAT EXPERIENCE & I AM TRUE SAD TO LEAVE.