International Internships in Melbourne, Australia
The Intern Group participants The Intern Group participants

International Internships in Melbourne, Australia

Aussie moment

I can't describe how time flies when we feel that we are doing what we love, on the right place, with people that embrace us with good energy and vibes. Melbourne showed me that I could travel to the other part of the world to work and still feel that I belong to much more than one place and it only happened because I received a lot of help from the Intern Group. I perceived that I belong to wherever I feel comfortable on being myself. This unbelievable and amazing city is capable of multiple surprises and feelings on one single day starting from the contact to the friendly culture, the multinational environment and stunning sunsets that definitely made me feel part of it... To sum up, there's not a single explanation for the fact that every single human being fall in love with this place. As an example, my last day was one of these days that I woke up feeling blessed to have been given this opportunity to boom my career path, get to know the Australian professional life but, at the same time, discover all culture and wonders that the city offers. And this feeling of being grateful increases inside me everyday simultaneously to the ill to stay here forever... If you are reading this while packing to come or thinking about this chance, my only hint for you is: once you get hooked to straya you ain't no going back

In the upside - down land

I was thinking of the right words to start, it can be hard to write down all the emotions felt in a few months. Eventually I realised that the best way to express those feelings is by saying that I'm still in Melbourne, not ready to go home.

I got the chance to do my internship in Earthwatch Institute, an environmental international NGO. I had never worked in this industry before and I didn't know what to expect: at the end of my three months I can say that this experience has help me figure out what I really want to do about my future career.

The best months in my life

Great program! Amazing way of learning and getting a real cultural experience! Great organization, great people and great work! Best experience in my life, the intern group exceeded my expectations and I would fully recommend it!

Best experience ever

One of the best decisions of my life! I really had a great time in Australia, my workplace was lovely and I learnt lots of things and then I met so many people from all over the world! I've seen so many beautiful places in Oz!! I defo recommend doing an internship here!

The Intern Group - thumbs up!

Great program, great place, great people!

Travelling all the way to Australia was obviously very nerve-wracking (especially if travelling to the other side of the world like myself). However, upon arrival the Intern Group were very welcoming and I met people who were also on the program almost straight away. Events were also put on by the program throughout my stay (e.g. zoo, sporting event, bar crawl, wine tour etc.) This meant I immersed into the Aussie culture straight away and also got to constantly meet plenty of people all around the world, learning about their culture, as well as experiencing this new one together.

The Intern group were also great at fitting people to their internship perfectly, this including myself as well as other interns I met throughout my stay. My internship lasted for a total of 8 weeks, however I continued to stay for an extra 6 months due to my internship offering me a job. So staying was a no-brainer really! (Maybe I'll never leave).

Applying to this program was the best thing I ever did, 100% no regrets.

Would live in Melbourne if I could!

I fell in love with the city and the people in it. I had such a wonderful experience during my internship with YGAP and the InternGroup made it really easy to get around the city. They also did a great job setting up fun stuff to do, like going to the horse races. Would do it all over again in a heart beat. (Although Bell City was not my favorite place to live).

Life changing

My experience with the six week program with the intern group was something that I will never forget. I met people from all over the world that I would have never met if I didn't do this program. I wouldn't change anything about my experience abroad in Melbourne and I recommend that every student who has the chance to be apart of an experience such as the intern group Australia should do it.

International internship

The Intern Group program offered a lot in the areas of both professional and personal growth. Upon arrival there are many different activities that are in place to allow for networking with the other program participants. On top of the social and traveling aspects my Internship was with a great company that was really interested in helping me grow as a professional. If their was ever an issue with any part of the program the administration team was there to keep everyone informed. It's a great program that allows for a lot of growth and the opportunity to experience a new country through the programs events, that range from fun activities to professional development classes.

An amazing experience

Melbourne is a beautiful city full of cultures and opportunities, Australian landscape is on of the best in the world and there are a lot of different places and activities to discover, Australians are smiling and welcoming . All this context plus an important internship in the right environment able to give you insights and boost your future career is an amazing experience that I would like to suggest to everybody.

Straya

Travelling to Australia was a frightening leap of faith - I had never travelled before and didn't know what to expect. The folks affiliated with The Intern Group made me feel comfortable and secure and helped get me situated in what would become an amazing period of self discovery for me. After my eight week internship I decided to stay in Melbourne, and was a local for nearly six months - largely because my experience with the Intern Group was so positive and exciting.

Project manager at Elite Executive Services, Melbourne

I chose to enter the Melbourne Internship after graduating university, as I wanted to experience living and working abroad. I went with the 6 week Business Internship with the Inter group. My application went very smoothly, and I received loads of help from the staff to improve my CV and find the best internship for my skills and goals.

I worked at Elite Executive Services till completion of my internship. Once the 6 weeks was up I decided I just had to stay! I was offered a job in the role and continued to live for 6 months in Melbourne. Best decision of my life!

On top of the work experience, the greatest aspect of the Intern Group program is the social life provided. Travelling alone was daunting, but after being placed in accommodation alongside others going through the same experience, I was instantly apart of a friendship group. We went on many trips out and saw the best side of Melbourne.

From the guidance I received from both the Intern Group and my boss at Elite Executive Services I had the confidence to continue my travels. I have lived in New York since and recently been offered a great job in London.

The Experience of a Lifetime

I arrived in Australia with high hopes, but the experience I had surpassed any expectations I could have imagined. I was on a six week program, working for a small Digital Services organisation based in North Melbourne.

We were picked up from the airport and taken to our accommodation, which was warm, clean and suitable for what it would be used for during the duration of the trip (which was mostly just to sleep in). They also had a Gym, Sauna and Pool (which was very cold, but we still went in) - all of which made our stay more comfortable. It was close to the local station, and in walking distance of the local supermarket. Richmond was also only a short Tram ride away.

My work placement was a direct fit with the skills and experiences I had, and the company was very accommodating and helpful as I settled in during my first few days. As in any job, the effort and passion you put into it is directly indicative of the results that you achieve. I had an amazing experience and made some great connections during my time at my placement company, and have definitely opened doors for a potential return some day.

Lewis and his team were excellent in ensuring that we had everything we needed to be successful and safe during our time in Melbourne. The team was on hand to support us, and they endeavored to provide every opportunity possible for us to have the true Aussie experience. I have to give a shout out to Dylan, who was amazing for the duration of our trip. He was on hand to give us advice on the best bars/clubs/sites to visit, and also joined us on a number of our organised trips. He came to be a good friend by the end of the trip, and I was sad to say goodbye to him. He really is an asset to Intern Australia.

The trip was made by the people I met.. naturally, due to the cyclical nature of the placements, you will see people come and go, but you will always have people to do things with. I feel very fortunate to have arrived at the same time as a group of others who naturally clicked. Together we explored Melbourne and the surrounding areas, including the Great Ocean Road and the Grampian Mountains. We really bonded as a group, and since I left Melbourne in August, I have met up with five out of the eight (although visits to them are being planned). I recently returned from a trip to Las Vegas with two of my closest American buddies from the trip, and it was just like old times. This is what the program is all about, connecting people around the World, and they certainly achieved it in this instance.

I urge everyone to take this opportunity. You will not regret it.

An unforgettable experience

interning abroad through the intern group was one of the best decisions of my life. The program provided me with an amazing internship that I loved as well as connecting us with a group of other interns that I will be friends with for years to come. Dylan did an amazing job organizing activities for us to do as a group as well as recommending things for us to do in the city on our own. The accommodations were okay and I didn't mind them because I was literally there to sleep. I would highly recommend interning in Australia or one of the other cities that the intern group offers.

Melbourne experience

This program was the absolute best. One of the best choices I have made in my life, I met some the most amazing people while also having a great internship experience. I would highly recommend taking part in the program if you have the opportunity!

An awesome life experience :)

I decided to intern abroad as I had been stuck in an entry level job that I hated for two years and needed a change. I graduated a while ago so wanted something that would boost my CV and give me a complete change as well and this certainly did! I did 10 weeks at a Social Media agency and I really enjoyed my internship, the people were lovely and I could see myself working in that industry when I return home so that was definitely a positive experience!

Melbourne itself is a lovely city and there is so much to visit and see in the city and surrounding areas. The included events from the Intern Group are a great addition to the program and they give you a great experience of Aussie life and some of the attractions around Melbourne. As well as these and trips like the great ocean road and Philip Island, I went to Tasmania and Cairns which were both amazing and reasonable distances from Melbourne so I feel like I made the most of weekends.

One thing that really let the program down is the accommodation. most people on here talk about Bell being bad, my group were in the Bell complex but we were all moved into 'the lodge' which was a house with 16 double rooms, shared bathrooms, a tiny kitchen and a living/dining area. We weren't given much information on this before arrival, most of us were expecting the en suite rooms at Bell. I hated the lodge. The introduction of this place to the programme could have been handled so much better. The place wasn't very clean, we weren't provided with essentials and the staff at Bell were so unhelpful and the student liaison in particular was incredibly rude the whole time I was staying there.

We had so many problems such as rats and cockroaches, the place wasn't that messy considering there were 16 people in a tiny kitchen and we were told by staff we weren't their main concern. I was also upstairs and there was no air con and in the summer months the heat is unbearable, a fan didn't help one bit and I couldn't sleep very well. I think the intern group could have kitted the place out so much better for us if they had just invested a bit of time and effort and I was and still am disappointed with how a lot of the problems were handled by Bell and the Intern Group staff. I have included a few pictures of some of the facilities in the lodge as they aren't on the intern group website at the moment.

The only good thing about the lodge is that the interns are all living together and it was a good way to make friends. I met some lovely people on the intern group program and that is one of the best things about the program. We were all in the same boat and all got on really well. It was great even from the first few days you bond with the people you arrive with and it makes it so much easier to be so far away from home.

Overall I really enjoyed the program and have no regrets doing it, Melbourne is an amazing city and my internship was great, I am just not sure how there could be so many communication problems with the intern group now its been running a few years.

I would also make sure if you decide to do the program that you are specific in the internship you want to do and don't feel rushed into accepting something that may not be for you. I had an offer before my internship and was not sure whether to take it or not and deciding to decline it I got a much more relevant offer. Just be sure of what you want to get out of the experience and it will be easier for them to place you with the right company!

Great Australian experience

This is a fantastic opportunity to visit and work in Australia. The program provided me with a very interesting internship in finance in one of the most livable cities in the world, and made it easy for me to make new friendships with people from around the world.

Melbourne is a beautiful city, full of "hidden" bars and rooftops that reward exploration, and has an amazing cultural and night life. The events included in the program, which range from sporting events to wine tasting, are particularly well organized and provide some of the best experiences. Also, I had a challenging internship from which I gained valuable experience in equity research and corporate finance.

The only aspect of the program that could use significant improvement is the accommodation. Not only is the location relatively far from work for most people, but also the facilities are in poor condition and the staff is generally inefficient. The good thing about the accommodation is that it makes it easier for everyone to meet and interact on a daily basis. However, many people choose to leave to areas closer to CBD after a short amount of time, as the intern group does give that option after a few weeks.

Overall, it's a great experience!

Cold yet successful

It was a colder time here in Melbourne, but I enjoyed it nontheless. My placement with the internship was solid and spot on. I couldnt have done a better job myself. I really enjoyed working with DI and their working culture. I learn a lot of new and important things. As far as the social aspect, I literally hung out with someone every single day. Its great to meet new people from across the globe. The only australians I made friends with were the intern employees, but even so they were awesome.
The living situation is the only moderate to downside of the program. Bell city is quite... awful. My room was cold, so I ended up putting tape on the window so that the air wouldnt come through. My heater didnt really work and I was cold at night. Some shady things happened during my time there. Police and ambulances would arrive frequently.

Great

This was a awesome experience where I met and interacted with the amazing people from all over the world. The team was very helpful and made the group feel safe and well looked after all the time.

The accommodation really let everything down with the service and quality of the place being low and unappealing. If that could change,twice as many interns would be available.

Melbourne: nice people, good food, great times

Melbourne is an amazing city. The program is great if you choose to take full advantage of it. In the end it is what you make of it. My 3-month internship was great. By networking during the three months, doors opened and a scored paid position elsewhere in Melbourne for the summer of 2016. My Melbourne experience was everything I hoped for. During the week I worked 9-5 and trained BJJ/MMA in the evenings. Weekends were for traveling, socializing, and partying. Couldn't have asked for a better environment to meet all my needs. Good people, good internship, good MMA training. After my internship finished, I took a fight against a local Maori fighter... which I think counts as cultural immersion(?) I broke my hand (but won the fight) and right now typing with a cast on= a struggle. Go to Melbourne. You will not regret it. Australian people are very nice, and Melbourne is the most perfect and liveable city I've ever experienced.

Marketing internship

My experience with the Intern Group in Australia was really good. I enjoyed my time in the city more than I expected. People in Melbourne are incredibly open and friendly.

My work experience was good, I worked for a small technology start-up, it was interesting getting to experience how companies are created, but I wish I have had more work responsibilities in my main area of interest (marketing), as my role wasn't really specific and mainly administrative / research related. My team was friendly, but lack a bit of gender equality, as I was the only female at the office.

The accommodation was not good. The lack of cleaning was a major concern for me. They were supposed to clean my room every fourth night (which to begin with is way too much time) but didn't even do that, so I had to constantly go to reception and ask for my room to be cleaned, which sometimes helped, but some others I was just ignored.

All of the social gatherings and events were amazing, I truly felt like a local and was able to experience some of Melbourne's nicest restaurants/ bars/places of interest. As well as meet lots of people, and get to make friends for life.

Overall I had a really good experience and would recommend doing the program, but I would suggest finding another accommodation options, as the place provided is extremely expensive and not good enough.

A top notch experience

My experience with Intern Australia has definitely been an adventure to say the least, and an experience I would never change for the world. This opportunity allowed me to make the career change I needed and provided me with the right skills for an industry I wanted to work in. After graduating back in 2014 and feeling like I was in a "career limbo" for 2 years, it was hard to decide what step to take next. However, finding The Intern Group online and eventually accepting my placement felt like the right decision to make...even if it meant travelling to the other side of the planet.

I did an 8 week internship and half way through, I was offered an actual job with my company. I've now made the decision to make the most of my 1 year visa and I'm staying put in Melbourne till November 2017, if not longer if I can extend my visa. (Sorry mum and dad!)

I'm not going to lie, it's not always smooth sailing and you will come across a few hiccups along the way; but that's part of moving abroad and it's part of the learning experience. If you ever need help, I find the best people to ask are your fellow interns, or any of us alumni interns who are still around. You not only gain work experience but you make some great pals, you have the freedom to explore a new country and you get to experience so much within such an exciting and diverse city itself. Whether it's through the planned events with The Intern Group or events and trips you plan yourself, you won't be bored during your time in Australia.

I would personally recommend finding somewhere closer to the city to live rather than staying at the accommodation provided as you can find decent and often cheaper places to live nearer the CBD, and it will most likely be closer to your work placements.

Nevertheless, it is a great opportunity, but it's also what you make of it. If you're thinking about applying, make sure you know exactly what you want. Even if your placement isn't within the exact field you wanted to work in, this is your internship and you'll get what you want out of it, if you make it happen for yourself too.

Intern Mel Aashna

It was honestly an absolutely lovely experience. I have met so many people from all over the world! If you're looking for a good travel and work experience this is your place, it's worth it. You get to see so many things, meet so many people and learn so much from them!

An unforgettable experience

Although the program seemed pretty new and a little unorganised at first, everything started to run more smoothly as more interns arrived. My internship itself was good, worked with a great team and had a great insight into the field I opted for. However, the time I spent in Melbourne was made even better with a lovely group of people and that was definitely the highlight to the experience. Living conditions could have been better judging by the amount we paid for, but to me we spent more time out and about busy exploring the city so for a short-term internship it's not unbearable.

Interesting experience

The most interesting is getting to know people from different cultures and eventually become friends. Also getting to exchange life knowledge and experience with them. Beside that, the internship was boring but I understand that this is the first step of career. Nonetheless I believe it will give my CV a boost if I stay in Australia for a longer term.