International Internships in Melbourne, Australia
The Intern Group participants The Intern Group participants

International Internships in Melbourne, Australia

Intern Group - Melbourne

10/10 would recommend the Intern Group program! One of the best abroad experiences I've had. I definitely learned so much about myself and gained a lot of new skills to help with job placements. I also fell in love with Melbourne during the process.

Once in a lifetime opportunity with The Intern Group

My experiences with The Intern Group, in Melbourne Australia, were fantastic. I made new friends immediately, starting with a shared cab with other interns on my flight into Melbourne.

Arriving into a foreign country by yourself can be intimidating, but The Intern Grouo made the transition a smooth as possible with social activities and an informative orientation.

The accommodations met expectations, and it was convenient having an on-site dining option. My finance internship provided me transferable knowledge and skills that I continue to utilize in my academics and further recruitment efforts.

The Intern Group was very accommodating and well organized. Holistically the experience was one-of-a-kind, providing both valuable internship experience and engaging social aspects.

I truly recommend this program to anyone interested in a unique, dynamic work environment alongside an opportunity to explore the gem that is Melbourne.

It will be aite!!!

I can truly say at the beginning I was nervous and secretly apprehensive about interning abroad. I wasn't in a healthy place mentally at the time and took a risk in coming to Melbourne, which to some seemed foolish. Thankfully, I put aside negative thoughts and opinions and took a "it will be aite" approach to my journey. Interning in Melbourne was everything I dreamed it could be. I worked hard I played harder, but in the those three months (which all my coworkers said was a short time) I learnt more about myself than I have in a long time. Interning abroad challenges you to decide what you want to do for the rest of your life and discover your passion for life and adventure. There is so much to say about Melbourne, it is a very liveable and welcoming city, which I had the pleasure of exploring and learnt to love as my adopted home. As for The Intern Group Melbourne, they went out of there way to be inviting and helpful, which was key for my program being such a success. While the living conditions weren't all that's its cracked up to be it forces you to wander around the city and you spend less time in there than you realise. Overall this journey was a success for me because I met new people, embraced a new culture and learned/reinforced work skills needed for future achievements. Melbourne is a city that has captured my heart and plays key part in my story going forward in life.

What an exhilarating experience!

I completed a Finance internship with a Wealth Advisory firm which was such an eye opening internship and really made me realise what I don't know and encouraged work even harder through my 6 weeks. The social aspect was just amazing! Met some really really great people some of which will even help you in your future endeavours! Definitely worth it, would highly recommend to anyone thinking of doing this program.

The only improvement I would suggest is the accomodation. It was sufficient however could've been better in terms of facilities.

Overall what a great summer!

Management consultant

It was a great social and learning experience. I made friends with people from all over the world that I intend to keep in touch with. The internship allowed you to gain valuable real life experience in your field of study.

First time down under (literally!)

Living in the UK, I always forgot Australia existed, being so far away. When an internship opportunity in Australia arose, I thought "why the hell not? Never have been, unlikely I would go in the future, so why not mix travel and work experience together?" Graduating in Geography, I had no idea what I wanted to do, but I knew from my three years of university that I wanted to see how a local NGO company worked, seeing how many of my lectures and lecturers always talked so positively about how the local is more effective than global organisations. This experience definitely helped me focus on what I wanted to do, what I was good at and what the office atmosphere was like (as I had never worked in an office before). My company was very welcoming. Having come off a long and strenuous flight from London, I was feeling homesick, especially after seeing where I was on the globe - literally the other side of the world! They made Melbourne feel less distant, making going to my office each day the best part of Melbourne for me! At the end, I was given good references, both from my host company and The Intern Group, which has definitely helped me boost my CV. Through the internship I am able to show real experiences in job applications and interviews back in London, which has definitely made job hunting less nerve-wracking. As for Australia itself? EXPLORE! It's a big country (even though I graduated in Geography, even I was thrown off with how large the country was). Melbourne is great for it's culture, with loads of events to do after work. There's also so much to do further out of the city, with Great Ocean Road, the Puffing Billy Steam Train, Phillip Island, the Grampians (which I didn't go to unfortunately!) and so much more. There's Sydney too, which also has a lot to offer and gave off more of a city vibe to me than Melbourne. You can easily spend a good 3-4 days there since there are ferries available to explore the entire coastline of Sydney. I only went to Sydney outside of Melbourne, but other interns recommended Cairns (if you want to escape the Melbourne "winter" - which isn't a winter if you're from London). My only piece of advice? Go during the Australian spring/summer!

A fantastic experience

Arriving in Melbourne in July 2017, I found The Intern Group Melbourne team to be very friendly and welcoming. The walking tour on the second day was a great way to meet the other interns in my group and the staff did everything they could to make the first few days as hassle-free as possible. One of the best things they did was to give us a link to an accommodation form where we could report anything wrong with our rooms or the equipment on our floors. I found my room to be perfectly suited to my needs and the staff replaced a blind when there was a strong draft coming from the window.

The included events were a lot of fun, the stand out one being a trip to Healesville sanctuary to meet kangaroos and some of the other Australian wildlife. The career coaching session that was provided was very useful and there were a few other careers events that really helped me to visualize my next steps after university.

My favourite thing about the experience was my internship placement. I expected to be given a journalism or marketing internship, because broadcasting is a very difficult field to get into, but the video production company that I worked for was a perfect fit for me. I gained many new skills and made some amazing connections, so much so that I'm now doing content writing for their website from home.

I highly recommend this experience to students or graduates who are looking to kick start their careers. If you approach everything with enthusiasm and an open mind, you will get so much out of the internship and you'll also make new friends from all over the world!

Fantastic

I would not change one thing about my Australian winter, both the work and the people were amazing. The Intern Group don't just place you onto their programme, they are there throughout your entire experience. It was great to know that they were always there if you need them and the included trips are a really good laugh!

Working abroad with a Non-profit

Going 22 hours away from home to a country I'd never been to before seemed pretty daunting at first but after my first week, I realised I had made the right choice. The Intern Group were so supportive (and understanding) before my arrival and during my 10-week stay.
I was fortunate to be placed with an amazing company run by compassionate and pretty funny people (as you find most people are in Melbourne) and made friends who made me laugh more than I've ever done before.
Would do this again in a heartbeat!

Melbourne internship in CBD

The internship itself was pretty good, though I do wish my boss had more time to spend with me one-on-one to teach me more skills. That said, I feel I was exposed to many aspects of the business, and did learn many skills that I can take with me. My coworkers were wonderful and also assisted me with tasks when needed.

Magnificent

This program was amazing to say the least. I had the time if my life meeting new people, seeing new sights and meeting new people! I would recommend this program to anyone who wants to expand their horizons and challenge themselves.

Unexpected good internship

The internship experience is extremely good. However I have to tolerate about the accommodation and really long journey everyday (1hour and half)! Overall I am satisfied.

10/10

Overall a great experience! The team really goes above and beyond to ensure everything goes smoothly. Traveling to a country so far away can be scary but they were there to guide you through every step. Would recommend to anyone!

Fantastic experience in Melbourne

All the folks from the Intern Group are friendly and helpful. They go out of their way to make you feel at ease while away. The community they help build between yourself and the other interns is fantastic, as well. Not to mention the fun excursions they offer. My favourites were the walking tour and the wine tour. Definite musts!

Wonderful!

This program is amazing! Coming to Melbourne from 9,000 miles away, anyone would be very nervous but as soon as I met the staff I felt right at ease! The events they planned were wonderful! I wouldn't have thought to do some of it and I'm so glad I got the owpportunity to! Not only is the staff super friendly but they're always there if you need anything! After 8 weeks here I wish I could extend my program!

Awesome

It was awesome and I highly suggest it. Most beautiful place I have ever seen. The rooms are a little awful And the social events only really appeal to drinkers, but it is still worth going. You can definitely get over those two things

Melbourne internship

A great experience giving you the opportunity to explore Australia whilst enhancing your CV. The Intern Group make sure you hit the ground running by introducing you to the other interns and having social events. Working in Melbourne is also a fantastic experience. A very relaxed environment but you still work hard and get thrown into the deep end, which is how you learn I suppose. The accommodation is a little expensive for what you get, but the people you meet and the things you get to do totally outweigh any negatives. My advice to anyone who is considering to do an internship is to just do it, you wont regret it. Yes it is expensive but when you look back you remember the great memories and experiences not how much you paid.

Life changing experience!!

With the help of the Intern Group, I was able to find an international internship that helped me to grow in my career and also allowed time to enjoy the new culture I was living in. The work-life balance encouraged by the Intern Group was especially important. They organized countless activities and made sure all of the student interns had a chance to connect. I would recommend this program to anyone who's looking for their next challenging adventure!

Aussie moment

I can't describe how time flies when we feel that we are doing what we love, on the right place, with people that embrace us with good energy and vibes. Melbourne showed me that I could travel to the other part of the world to work and still feel that I belong to much more than one place and it only happened because I received a lot of help from the Intern Group. I perceived that I belong to wherever I feel comfortable on being myself. This unbelievable and amazing city is capable of multiple surprises and feelings on one single day starting from the contact to the friendly culture, the multinational environment and stunning sunsets that definitely made me feel part of it... To sum up, there's not a single explanation for the fact that every single human being fall in love with this place. As an example, my last day was one of these days that I woke up feeling blessed to have been given this opportunity to boom my career path, get to know the Australian professional life but, at the same time, discover all culture and wonders that the city offers. And this feeling of being grateful increases inside me everyday simultaneously to the ill to stay here forever... If you are reading this while packing to come or thinking about this chance, my only hint for you is: once you get hooked to straya you ain't no going back

An awesome life experience :)

I decided to intern abroad as I had been stuck in an entry level job that I hated for two years and needed a change. I graduated a while ago so wanted something that would boost my CV and give me a complete change as well and this certainly did! I did 10 weeks at a Social Media agency and I really enjoyed my internship, the people were lovely and I could see myself working in that industry when I return home so that was definitely a positive experience!

Melbourne itself is a lovely city and there is so much to visit and see in the city and surrounding areas. The included events from the Intern Group are a great addition to the program and they give you a great experience of Aussie life and some of the attractions around Melbourne. As well as these and trips like the great ocean road and Philip Island, I went to Tasmania and Cairns which were both amazing and reasonable distances from Melbourne so I feel like I made the most of weekends.

One thing that really let the program down is the accommodation. most people on here talk about Bell being bad, my group were in the Bell complex but we were all moved into 'the lodge' which was a house with 16 double rooms, shared bathrooms, a tiny kitchen and a living/dining area. We weren't given much information on this before arrival, most of us were expecting the en suite rooms at Bell. I hated the lodge. The introduction of this place to the programme could have been handled so much better. The place wasn't very clean, we weren't provided with essentials and the staff at Bell were so unhelpful and the student liaison in particular was incredibly rude the whole time I was staying there.

We had so many problems such as rats and cockroaches, the place wasn't that messy considering there were 16 people in a tiny kitchen and we were told by staff we weren't their main concern. I was also upstairs and there was no air con and in the summer months the heat is unbearable, a fan didn't help one bit and I couldn't sleep very well. I think the intern group could have kitted the place out so much better for us if they had just invested a bit of time and effort and I was and still am disappointed with how a lot of the problems were handled by Bell and the Intern Group staff. I have included a few pictures of some of the facilities in the lodge as they aren't on the intern group website at the moment.

The only good thing about the lodge is that the interns are all living together and it was a good way to make friends. I met some lovely people on the intern group program and that is one of the best things about the program. We were all in the same boat and all got on really well. It was great even from the first few days you bond with the people you arrive with and it makes it so much easier to be so far away from home.

Overall I really enjoyed the program and have no regrets doing it, Melbourne is an amazing city and my internship was great, I am just not sure how there could be so many communication problems with the intern group now its been running a few years.

I would also make sure if you decide to do the program that you are specific in the internship you want to do and don't feel rushed into accepting something that may not be for you. I had an offer before my internship and was not sure whether to take it or not and deciding to decline it I got a much more relevant offer. Just be sure of what you want to get out of the experience and it will be easier for them to place you with the right company!

In the upside - down land

I was thinking of the right words to start, it can be hard to write down all the emotions felt in a few months. Eventually I realised that the best way to express those feelings is by saying that I'm still in Melbourne, not ready to go home.

I got the chance to do my internship in Earthwatch Institute, an environmental international NGO. I had never worked in this industry before and I didn't know what to expect: at the end of my three months I can say that this experience has help me figure out what I really want to do about my future career.

Marketing internship

My experience with the Intern Group in Australia was really good. I enjoyed my time in the city more than I expected. People in Melbourne are incredibly open and friendly.

My work experience was good, I worked for a small technology start-up, it was interesting getting to experience how companies are created, but I wish I have had more work responsibilities in my main area of interest (marketing), as my role wasn't really specific and mainly administrative / research related. My team was friendly, but lack a bit of gender equality, as I was the only female at the office.

The accommodation was not good. The lack of cleaning was a major concern for me. They were supposed to clean my room every fourth night (which to begin with is way too much time) but didn't even do that, so I had to constantly go to reception and ask for my room to be cleaned, which sometimes helped, but some others I was just ignored.

All of the social gatherings and events were amazing, I truly felt like a local and was able to experience some of Melbourne's nicest restaurants/ bars/places of interest. As well as meet lots of people, and get to make friends for life.

Overall I had a really good experience and would recommend doing the program, but I would suggest finding another accommodation options, as the place provided is extremely expensive and not good enough.

Great Australian experience

This is a fantastic opportunity to visit and work in Australia. The program provided me with a very interesting internship in finance in one of the most livable cities in the world, and made it easy for me to make new friendships with people from around the world.

Melbourne is a beautiful city, full of "hidden" bars and rooftops that reward exploration, and has an amazing cultural and night life. The events included in the program, which range from sporting events to wine tasting, are particularly well organized and provide some of the best experiences. Also, I had a challenging internship from which I gained valuable experience in equity research and corporate finance.

The only aspect of the program that could use significant improvement is the accommodation. Not only is the location relatively far from work for most people, but also the facilities are in poor condition and the staff is generally inefficient. The good thing about the accommodation is that it makes it easier for everyone to meet and interact on a daily basis. However, many people choose to leave to areas closer to CBD after a short amount of time, as the intern group does give that option after a few weeks.

Overall, it's a great experience!

A top notch experience

My experience with Intern Australia has definitely been an adventure to say the least, and an experience I would never change for the world. This opportunity allowed me to make the career change I needed and provided me with the right skills for an industry I wanted to work in. After graduating back in 2014 and feeling like I was in a "career limbo" for 2 years, it was hard to decide what step to take next. However, finding The Intern Group online and eventually accepting my placement felt like the right decision to make...even if it meant travelling to the other side of the planet.

I did an 8 week internship and half way through, I was offered an actual job with my company. I've now made the decision to make the most of my 1 year visa and I'm staying put in Melbourne till November 2017, if not longer if I can extend my visa. (Sorry mum and dad!)

I'm not going to lie, it's not always smooth sailing and you will come across a few hiccups along the way; but that's part of moving abroad and it's part of the learning experience. If you ever need help, I find the best people to ask are your fellow interns, or any of us alumni interns who are still around. You not only gain work experience but you make some great pals, you have the freedom to explore a new country and you get to experience so much within such an exciting and diverse city itself. Whether it's through the planned events with The Intern Group or events and trips you plan yourself, you won't be bored during your time in Australia.

I would personally recommend finding somewhere closer to the city to live rather than staying at the accommodation provided as you can find decent and often cheaper places to live nearer the CBD, and it will most likely be closer to your work placements.

Nevertheless, it is a great opportunity, but it's also what you make of it. If you're thinking about applying, make sure you know exactly what you want. Even if your placement isn't within the exact field you wanted to work in, this is your internship and you'll get what you want out of it, if you make it happen for yourself too.

The best months in my life

Great program! Amazing way of learning and getting a real cultural experience! Great organization, great people and great work! Best experience in my life, the intern group exceeded my expectations and I would fully recommend it!